Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint brick or remove?
Molly
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just painted the kitchen grey. Should I paint the brick behind my stove, or would it be very difficult to remove it?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
the brick looks nice but maybe you can replace the backsplash and paint the cabinets? They don't seem to go with the grey walls
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:00PM
Molly
no they don't! My plan is to paint them white, no clue what to do for a back splash. eventually we will install copper counter tops too.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:02PM
PRO
movenready properties, LLC
Is this an actual brick or just a facade? I agree that the colors don't seem to go together. Are you considering removing the backsplash? If you do and leave the brick a nice natural stone would look nice.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:04PM
PRO
B. Thrower, Interior Redesign and Home Staging
If you paint the brick, I would suggest you paint the back splash. There are wonderful metallic paints that you can use to add a great deal of pizazz to tile. Also, I would paint the cabinets a french white and distress.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:06PM
Darzy
I think a "quick fix" would be to paint the brick and the backsplash, and the paneled wainscotting a creamy white.
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:06PM
apple_pie_order
I'd paint foamcore with the blue paint, then wedge it between the 4" backsplash and the upper cabinets. Or use stick-on tiles to cover the turquoise tile to accent the new blue and gold wood theme.

YOu can try removing a brick from an unobtrusive spot behind the stove, near the floor, to see how easy it is. The brick is not adding any great style to the room.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:07PM
Molly
Yes, we are removing the back splash. basically the cabinets are the only permanent thing in my kitchen. every thing else can go.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:07PM
Molly
no, my husband hates the brick too, I'm just worried that it would be difficult to remove. we're pretty certain it's a facade.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:08PM
elklaker
I have to think that the brick is just a veneer and I would take it down along with the backsplash and replace both with the same material. Save yourself two messes and get a whole new look for your kitchen.
3 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:09PM
Molly
that's a great idea elklaker, I never considered having the backsplash continue behind the stove. wonderful! Thank you everyone for your replies!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:13PM
PRO
Distinguished Flooring LLC
I would paint it!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:14PM
tashia1959
I agree with continuing the backsplash behind the stove. We all know how messy and oily it can get and tile would be easier to clean than that brick veneer of ANY color.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 1:27PM
drkkak
it looks a bit outdated--I would take it out and run the same tile and back splash around the whole area of the kitchen--a friend just did this and it looked great
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:50PM
Molly
any suggestions on back splash? we will be painting the cabinets white, and eventually we will install copper counter tops.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:05PM
elklaker
Do you plan to replace the flooring? That may drive your choice for a backsplash. A tile or stone with the gray of your walls might be pretty. You can also incorporate copper tiles in the backsplash to tie in with the countertops.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:15PM
dmbrenker
like your idea of painting the cabinets white. The wall color will make the white cabinets pop...backsplash and brick around the stove should be the same..love the glass subway tiles that homedepot or lowes has. Counters..grey speckle laminate that looks like granite.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:23PM
Molly
Our floor in our kitchen will eventually match the living room floor. which is like a blonde pine. the whole house has the pine flooring throughout, we just have to rip up the linoleum.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:38PM
elklaker
Nice! I don't envy you pulling up the linoleum. Be sure to check all layers in the event that there could be some asbestos tile under the vinyl. That said, the backsplash can be almost any type of material and the whole kitchen will look fabulous.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:48PM
Molly
Ha! asbestos... :( with our luck that will be an issue. Ah well, it wouldn't be an adventure without mishaps. That's what I'll keep telling myself at least!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:50PM
elklaker
Older homes have their issues, that is for sure. But, in the end, the renovations, at least for me, are always worth it. We have renovated several homes and never was one newer than 50 years old. You just can't build that kind of character. Carry on and keep smiling!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 3:09PM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Peal and stick tile and some would go over the brick and tile both. It's a DIY project.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 3:11PM
Molly
Oh do I ever love DIY. at least I think I do. its really more about the fact that we can afford DIY :D
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:09PM
elklaker
Keep the pictures coming. I can't wait to see the finished product. Enjoy the process.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:21PM
kaitlynsutherland
Another option is to a metal backsplash behind the stove and counter. I've seen it done in copper and silvertone. It's a matter of preference. But it should match no matter what you choose. I really like the idea of paining the cabinets or restaining them with a gel stain and updating the hardware. If you go with the peel and stick tile....remember to consider if the tile pattern would clash with tile on the floor. I'm crazy about that coordinating and it gives the room some wow factor, I think
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 8:18PM