powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Improve the look of this split level. New color?
preynolds06
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Looking to improve/update the look of this split level home. Any ideas? I have since trimmed the bushes FYI. :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
AMN
LOVE this house!

I really like this color. I guess it could be freshened up a bit. Paint the garage door dark, and add a few drops of bright color with a large urn or two filled with beautiful plantings.

If you're just aching to change the color, I would say pick the darkest, coolest color in the stone and paint the body with it or a slightly darker version of it.

If you don't use your screens in the windows, consider removing them. Houses look better without them on the outside.

Whatever you do, it is best to stick with very natural colors that are on the dark side. Don't fight the stone, the long-low look of the house, and the undulating landscape, and you'll be ok.
January 25, 2013 at 1:58pm   
Darzy
Love this house too! I agree with AMN. A dark brown or bark color (from the stone) I'd also paint the garage door the brown as well. This house/setting reminds me of your house. Beautiful.

January 25, 2013 at 2:07pm   
AMN
I forgot to talk about landscaping. Extend plantings so they go past the front corner of the right side of the house. Doing so will soften the edge and help further the beautiful long-low look. It might be nice to remove the right angle of the square patio in front, creating a rounded edge that has plantings along it to further soften the look. The patio is kind of stark looking as-is.
January 25, 2013 at 2:09pm   
More Discussions
Practical? Leaning mirror (anchored) in dining room w/ kids?
Thank you in advance for your comments back! I have...
I need help with an exterior front!
We are building a home on a down sloping lot, so there...
Recessed Toilet Paper Holder or No?
We are remodeling our original master bath from the...
Which shades make you pale?
The colour of spaces you inhabit can make or break...
Reaching top shelves in kitchen! Any ideas?
We are moving into a house where the ceiling in the...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.