Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dresser overhaul
Tandra Griffiths
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help with this dresser. We are redoing the master bed and this thing just looks...blah. Our colors are navy with bright accents. I thought about painting it white, but our walls are white, too. Any ideas to spiffy it up?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
light blue with crystal knobs???
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 2:40PM
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
or find the colour you like in your bedding set :))
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:41PM
apple_pie_order
It may be possible to touch up the finish with gel stains, then overcoat with polyurethane or oil based varnish or real shellac. The hardware could be replated professionally (it's cheap). Or the hardware spraypainted white or black or some fake metallic.

If you are a skilled painter, some thing like this could be done:

0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:54PM
Tandra Griffiths
I though about restaining it :) I don't want to do anything that would compromise the bones, since it's an antique dove-tailed piece. Is there a way to do replating at home? My biggest issue with the dresser is the carved design. It's too busy and I just don't like it.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:00PM
Tandra Griffiths
I like the traditional look but I feel like here it's overdone. I'm looking for something simpler and more basic, like this: Traditional Dressers Chests And Bedroom Armoires design by Other Metro Wisteria
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:17PM
putter2
Have it stripped, and wax it, or whitewash......
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 3:23PM
apple_pie_order
Plating can't be done at home. You can use a metallic spray paint at home, though. It will not be a smooth finish, but it might be just fine. Or spray paint black. Or replace the metal hardware with new antique style (they'll run you $10 per pull or more).

On the other hand, you can try Brasso, a brass polish, and a toothbrush or Dremel tool.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:59PM
Tandra Griffiths
Hmm. Thanks for the suggestions. I got it into my head to take the sander and just blast away the whole thing, since the wood is still good and thick and the engraving isn't deep, but I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:08PM
jillef
I'd agree with above. I would do a light detailed sand, oil and light untainted varnish. It looks like it has beautiful would underneath. It's always exciting to see what you get when yo strip it. The look would be contemporary and you would keep the integrity of the antique as you could always repolish.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:09PM
anitajoyce
White was the first color that came to my mind. Even if your walls are white, I think your dresser would look stunning painted a nice white. Will you replace the drawer knops or pulls?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:20PM
Tandra Griffiths
I do want to replace the pulls. My husband actually suggested completely removing the bottom three drawers and using hinged doors instead, to use it as a sort of mini-wardrobe. It is antique and beautifully made, but not a family heirloom or anything. I'm really liking the idea of painting it white.

Like this: http://www.builtinwardrobesuk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Mini-Wardrobe.jpg
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:25PM
judianna20
Paint the frame of the bureau navy, and the front of the drawers white. The navy outline will be against your white walls. Your chest, maybe 1920/30's.

1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 4:27PM
anitajoyce
Add brushed nickel pulls and with it painted white, it will look like a very expensive piece of furniture! Please post pictures. You'll get lots of compliments on it also.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:30PM
PRO
Design Mode
I think it is a veneer, so blasting away may not work. Paint is a good idea. I just saw that Sharpie markers has a whole new metallic and neon colour lines that you could use in the grooved areas as highlights.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:31PM
PRO
Jefferson Park Collection
I'm not an expert on furniture but, I would check this piece out to find out it's value before doing anything. When you redo or paint an antique piece you can loose the true value.
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:37PM
Tandra Griffiths
It's not veneer. If it was I'd probably have just torn it off and started from scratch. This thing is about as solid as possible, and it weighs a ton. While I was checking the drawers to see if it was veneer, I saw a crack in one of the dovetails, so I may have to replace them anyway :-/

I really like brushed nickel, but would it look too contemporary?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:47PM
anitajoyce
You could try a different finish for the drawer pulls. How about (glass,ceramic, copper, brass or bronze finish.) Try a few and see what you like. The choice is yours.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:12PM
PRO
Jefferson Park Collection
Even veneer wood core pieces can be worth alot. I have a few of these pieces. Anything with pressed wood is worthless and is fair game for anything you want to do, including mulch!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:30PM