Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Unhappy with great room
lisapay8
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm never happy with my narrow room that is kitchen, dinning and family room. Any suggestion?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Manon Floreat
You look to have a beautiful collection of furnishings - what is it that bothers you?
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 2:58PM
anitajoyce
Love what you have done to the family room. Beautiful! Please post a picture of the other side of the room , so that we have a better idea of what to help out with.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 3:12PM
lisapay8
Thank you for suggestions so far, I accidentally have stated two discussions in my attempt to add photos, sorry
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:24PM
anitajoyce
Other than the room's narrowness, What else don't you like? I Love the whole space. Is it the counter chairs?
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 3:33PM
PRO
STUDIO MB
Its eclectic! However there is a trick to mixing it up...when I look at the space it does not feel comfortable, there is a lot going on. and nothing is really grounded. The family room floor plan feels half empty and the animal rug under the table is just too small. Shall I go on?
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 3:45PM
kittt29
Lisapay, I love your room also! I think you've done great with it. One thing I would do is put curtains up behind your table matching the ones you have along the back wall of doors/windows and keep them the same height. I like the zebra rug but maybe look for one a bit smaller? And I'm in love with your dogs!!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 3:52PM
lisapay8
So many great ideas.. Both rugs need to go then, something with color.. Zebra rug is 8.5 x11. Would 9x13 be better? Then nothing under table or something coordinating. I know that needs to be bigger but then will there be too much rug in the room. I am taking a counter stool away and am going to try to rearrange furniture when hubby is in right mood :-). Maria, please go on.....
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:54PM
tallyhill
lose the counter chairs which are GORGEOUS ;) ....but get a round dining table and luxe- up the dining chairs THERE like the bar chairs feel now. Too many chairs in too narrow a space. Bar stools and multi use kitchen bars are overrated...nobody needs to SIT there...just mill about smartly while you cook then sit down to a proper meal at the TABLE. Just take them away for a week or two and see how the space breathes. Bet you'll never miss them.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 4:09PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
I like the zebra rug but not the shape, it does not suit the space. One of the things I love about the actual hides is their great shapes which work so well in rooms like these.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 4:21PM
PRO
STUDIO MB
Ok..
1) Remove the wooden shelf unit and hang a series of floating black shelves. Keep it simple with the artifacts and accessories.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:16AM
PRO
STUDIO MB
I love the zebra rug so keep that but put in a coffee table that has some interest like this one and in white!
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:18AM
PRO
STUDIO MB
Then on the opposite side of the coffee table add two ottomans like these in a soft color. The shape will bring in some a touch of traditional to tie in with the kitchen chairs.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:22AM
PRO
STUDIO MB
Directly behind the kitchen set and behind the grey chair put up a screen like this one to give you a sense of separation . This will stop your eye from going all the way back with a wow piece of art!
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:29AM