Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with ranch home facade
tmac1
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Any ideas to make the facade of this home more attractive? We've been sprucing up the interior of the home and now ready to do something to work on the front. We already replaced the front door as you can see, new windows, and relaid the bluestone walkway. Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tandra Griffiths
If you're willing to do major renovations, you could extend the porch and make the windows larger. If that's too much, definitely start with the landscaping. It looks like you've got a decent bed there in the front, but it's really sparce. What zone do you live in?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:50PM
judianna20

First, remove the vinyl shutters and see how your home looks to you.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 4:53PM
tmac1
Actually this photo was from early last spring and we did work on the landscaping but I can't find a photo of it. I was hoping for some help with ideas about the actual house. The house is in Connecticut. The windows are all brand new already so that is kind of a done deal there.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 4:54PM
judianna20
Then in the planting area at your entry, a miniature split leaf maple would look great..
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 4:59PM
judianna20
Then when you are in the mood, paint the house a more silver gray, like the roof.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:01PM
tmac1
Great ideas. I think a silvery gray would be nice but I'm trying to picture it if it would be too much. It needs a paint job. What about adding like some sort of a pergola type thing in the front?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:03PM
tmac1
I'm torn between gray and white.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:05PM
msmolinski
I would definitely add some window planters to at least two of the windows in the front (perhaps the two bigger ones.) Another suggestion I have is perhaps to repaint the window shutters to a brown, lighter blue, or even a softer cream colour. Or you can totally repaint everything to give your whole home a fresh look. The picture below is similar to your color scheme, but with a lot more warmth. It would look great with the red brick fireplace exteriors as well! Furthermore, I would look to adding some great terra cotta plant potters in front on the porch with some beautiful sunflowers planted inside. You can also consider a new front door light, something bigger with a more rustic feel.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 5:13PM
judianna20
Two postings here...
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:16PM
tmac1
Actually the shutters were originally painted cream and it looked dated. I replaced them with black shutters. Now I'm wondering how it would look with no shutters at all! What great ideas thank you!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:18PM
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Here are a couple of ideas along with a very quick elevation
1. Apply Kleer or Azek panels to the gable ends. Since you don't have deep gable eaves, these panels will be very shallow but painted various shades of grey to accent depth. This is PVC material that can be painted and will not peel or blister.
2. Apply "fake windows" as 4-pane panels with casing on upper walls same size as existing small window. Hold window that will be on front wall the same distance off the corner as the other.
3. Bring roof eave over the porch around to the front of the house the same distance off the house as the eaves. Where the above panels will provide enough balance, this treatment will add weight to the front of the house.
4. Add 2 additional columns and dress up all three with capital and base (not sure how much room you will have for the door light; may have to eliminate it and add recessed light to ceiling)
5. Increase size of shutters on triple windows
6. You can also apply panels to the wall adjacent to the entry door the same height as the triple windows on the gable end wall and the full width of the wall. Then you can place a bench underneath it.

All of this is an attempt to balance the large amount of open wall shingle area vs.the rest of the house. It also accentuates your entry and establishes the right side of the house as the primary structure.
3 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:58PM
pud07
Maybe try stone on middle section to break it up a bit.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 8:03PM
tmac1
Pud07 love your ideas! Thank you! What about adding stone veneer to the lower 1/3 of the house? Do you think that would work? The windows are all so high. Do you think white for the color of the house or do you like the silvery gray idea?
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:25AM
pud07
Maybe add stone to all of the mid section and pick lower 1/3 rd on another part., perhaps over the porch area or other side. I'd wait till I had stone in place to decide on colors for accent that might be in the stone.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 6:34PM
Liz Chiron
I was looking at some indoor/outdoor faux stone sheets (for my fireplace) just yesterday. Although it's in Australia, there is a video on this website which I think will give you some great ideas. Good Luck http://www.infinitistone.com.au/stonecladding/
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 7:01PM
tmac1
What about paint color? Would white look nice?
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 7:32PM
tmac1
Anyone think adding a cupola would be nice? Where should it go?
0 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 7:41PM
Margo
OH, did someone say cupola- I love them. I would put it on the highest roof with a copper or verde green weather vane. I put one on my portico at the last minute and it brought the house such character. My weather vane is the verde green of a cat chasing a mouse.
2 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 7:47PM
Margo
ON second thought looking at your photo's, I am not sure what roof area I would put it on. Where are you thinking?
0 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 7:49PM
tmac1
The highest peak which is to the right of the picture. But would that look odd with the chimney there?
0 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 7:55PM
tmac1
Any other ideas to give this more curb appeal?
0 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 7:55PM
mcbriec
I also love cupolas but since this home looks more ranch than farm house I'm not sure it would fit well.

I think the home might look better without the shutters and instead use beefed-up moulding around the windows to make them look larger.

Since the home has a side entry, perhaps white railings on the porch area would make it a more prominent focal point which signifies it's an entry. Colorful landscaping would really warm everything up.
1 Like   June 20, 2013 at 8:11PM
tmac1
The problem with beefing up the molding is that on all the windows except the one on the right, thy sto where the roofline starts so I would only be able to beef up the bottom art of the window. I never considered going without shudders. Hmmmmm. Not sure if that would look barren. This house is in sw connecticut.
0 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 8:23PM
hparks74
I think your eves would look great in cedar. Wrap your porch post in cedar to give it bulk. It's far cheaper than a 6x6 beam. Remove shutters. If I was going to spend any kind of real dollars I would extend my porch over the entry side walk to make a nice front sitting area. Your windows are beautiful and don't need replaced.
0 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 8:36PM
tmac1
Windows are new. I like your idea about wrapping post. I just worry about removing the shutters won't that look so barren without them?
0 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 8:41PM
PRO
Suburban Designs
I agree with pud04 about adding the stone. I would suggest adding an arbor from the porch along the walkway. This would have the effect of extending the porch at a lower cost. Adding a bench under the arbor would create an inviting to place sit. See my Ideabook on Arbors or search for "Arbors" on Houzz.
0 Likes   Thanked by tmac1    June 30, 2013 at 9:06PM
PRO
Timberlane Inc.
Our only suggestion would be similar to what Scott Design suggested. Since shutters are typically half the size of the windows they are placed on, getting larger shutters for your bigger windows would make sense. Below are some of our options and please keep in mind that we can custom match any shutter style.
0 Likes   July 1, 2013 at 7:36AM
PRO
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
For a great color scheme with gray tones consider this one ottawa ave exterior. To unite the recessed areas with the entrance I think a pergola spaning the space would look great, with a tiled patio beneath. An example is below Sconset Residence. I would remove the shutters and create a garden like the one in the sketch below . A stepping stone path to a destination, flowering shrubs, low growing evergreens, ornamental grasses, perennials and annuals in a curved bed. Add a water feature , two containers with annual color and a garden bench for more curb appeal.
0 Likes   Thanked by tmac1    July 1, 2013 at 1:42PM
tmac1
I'm gonna put a flower box hanging under the bank of three windows on the right. Should the window box be black?
0 Likes   July 2, 2013 at 7:50PM
PRO
Why only that window, tmac1 ? I don't think it would look balanced with just one .
0 Likes   July 2, 2013 at 8:23PM
tmac1
Just because those windows are so much higher up than the other windows. I thought it would balance it out. You think that would look odd to just have one window box?
0 Likes   July 3, 2013 at 4:32AM
PRO
I do but if you like it do it if it pleases you. Do you have access to water it because that will be on a daily basis in a lot of cases, depending on how hot it is and how big your window box is.
0 Likes   July 3, 2013 at 4:52AM