powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help! What does this Master need to finish it? Feels too plain....
ssrriley
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just finished adding the fabric headboard and new bedding. I love the bright colors, the rest of the room is an eye sore. What should go in front of the 3 long windows? It is a slightly rounded area. Also, do you think it needs drapes? What style would work with the 3 windows on a curve. The slider wall is also an issue. No drapes bc I haven't known how to address a slider and the wall seems unfinished. (This is also the wall with the television and dresser)
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
tennisanyone
Are you planning to paint? I don't love the dark paint. If not, I would remove the white comforter and replace it with something either blue or coral like the pillows. Too many things going on. I can't really see the pillows. I would remove the two wooden ottomans and get two chairs for under the windows. and make a sitting area. I would also take down the two pictures and put them somewhere else. What type of look are you going for? If you are not married to the end tables, maybe paint them to match the coral or blue and get new lamps. I would add drapes too.
January 25, 2013 at 5:02PM     
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
that brown colour on the walls feels very "DIVORCED" from the rest of the room,would you concider to go with lighter colour?
January 25, 2013 at 5:07PM     
Norma Sassone
I like your wall color - dark caramel, yummy. I agree that the white comforter at the bottom does not fit and for some reason I am not feeling the coral shams either. I do like the aqua pillows though. I would go for a caramel, aqua, maybe olive green combination. Floor to ceiling drapes. Paint your end tables and dresser in white to match the woodwork. Gold lamps would be lovely. Big landscape or portrait over the bed - I mean really big! Move the little trunks somewhere else and replace with a big tufted ottoman in an olive aqua and caramel print, of you can find it.
January 25, 2013 at 5:29PM     
Norma Sassone
Here's a cool paisley for the ottoman if you are brave :-)
January 25, 2013 at 5:33PM     
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Yes not luvin' the brown. You need drapes and some bedding in that great paisley above.
January 25, 2013 at 5:37PM     
collettec
I'm not loving the brown either. In fact I think the base color of that paisley print would look good as a wall color - perhaps a bit lighter. Could see the bedding more of the coral color in your pillow, and you could use a bench instead of the crates at the end of the bed.
January 25, 2013 at 5:50PM     
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
here is an idea for curtains and ottoman ( you can make similar looking bench) - just work with YOUR colours
January 25, 2013 at 6:27PM     
ssrriley
Alot to think about. I really appreciate all the feedback. I will think about doing a different wallcolor and play with that. Additionally I agree I need to bring in another color and love the idea of painting the nightstands and adding drapes, chair for a little seating area.
January 25, 2013 at 6:33PM     
lauhan
Earth tones are transitioning out of style.
Yes, you need drapes. The window edges are stark without them.
Seating by the windows would be lovely.
The wall above the bed is big and bare. It is part of the reason that you feel like the room is unfinished.
January 25, 2013 at 6:41PM     
pinkatbay
love the headboard. the end table and ottomans don't quite seem to go with it though. could add some drama and romance to make the bedroom more of a retreat. add curtains at the window. add a sitting area by the window. the brown is dark, but the color doesnt bother me. the bed coverings could have texture and shine. get rid of the white comforter. the paintings on the side of the bed seem misplaced. try moving them to another side of the room.
January 25, 2013 at 7:02PM   
PRO
Wayfinding Design
The wall color is a nice color, but not with the rest of the textiles you have in this space... although It does appear to accent the carpet. The room has good natural lighting, so perhaps paint the walls darker. Benjamin Moore "Bittersweet" is a rich dark chocolate color that would make everything else "pop". A dark earthy green would work as well. The white duvet at the foot of the bed is the first thing you see and probably shouldn't be given so much importance. Ultimately the carpet has a lot of say in this room.
January 25, 2013 at 7:04PM   
jojofo
I like the windows as they are, I'd just put some art above the bed. A narrow landscape piece
January 25, 2013 at 7:12PM   
galvinsta
It is a nice space. It seems there is a big use of similar brown colors. It has a high ceiling and good light. I suggest painting the walls a light grey keeping the white trim. If you keep the brown walls maybe use linen fabric for drapes and change/remove the rug. The vibrant colors on bed are nice. I think a seating area in front of windows would soften the look. Three decorative mirror pieces or pictures over the bed would spread your eye across the wall. A low bench at foot of bed may work. Can you replace the slider with French doors?
January 25, 2013 at 7:47PM   
mmilos
The room needs some drama...I would put floor to ceiling drapes on your windows and slider. Balance it with a four poster or canopy bed.
January 25, 2013 at 7:55PM   
capecodgal
Not in love with the wall color either as it feels dark and a bit dated. I would suggest a lighter color on the walls and perhaps repainting the two end tables and dresser. The two end tables one color and the large dresser another. The size of the end table are a perfect "scale" for the room. However, I would definitely change out the hardware for an updated look, especially if you cannot repaint them. A chair and small side table would be nice in front of the windows placed closer to the slider. Also, I am finding the salmon colored sheets and turquoise are clashing and feel a bit "80's Florida". I actually really like your white duvet cover and think if you brightened up the sheets with fresher more modern colors, it would look much more updated and cheery.
January 25, 2013 at 7:56PM     
nysnh
I like the wall color. I am planning to paint my guest room the same color or similar. What color is it?

The overall design of the bed and bedding look fine to me. I just feel the bed area is relatively small and low to the high ceiling, room size and the beautiful bay windows. To fix this problem, I would expand the bed area with decors/furniture presenting more horizontal and vertical feelings. In addition,The carpet does not go well with bed and room. I would raise the bed, the headboard, or add decors above headboard to make the bed area more upright. I would place an area rug half under the bed to make the bed area bigger and also cover the carpet a bit. I would replace the two ottomans with a four thin leg bench. For the windows, I would add valance/swags to make them more focal point.

If the entry door is on the left side of the bed on picture, I would relocate the bed headboard to the wall the dresser is located now and move the dresser to the bed wall. This way, the feng shui is better because you will know/see when someones comes to your room. It also gives you space to make a sitting area in front of the bay windows. I have collected some pictures for the beautiful wall color. Enjoy and good luck.
Olympia Hills
Gaillardia show home
13229 Villa Montana
January 25, 2013 at 8:10PM     
kaitlynsutherland
I agree the walls are to dark and the white comforter is stark. If you have the room to do it (which I can't tell) I'd consider doing a built in bench seat under the window...if not room create seating area. I love the green silk bedding shown above....very nice. And it would coordinate well with a brown tone. The darker the wall tho' the smaller the room feels. I don't like drapes on this large of a window personally. And is the carpet pink? Does not work with room color whatever it is. I agree about trunk or bench seat at end of the bed and matching furniture colors, and hardwaare. Would it be possible to move bed to where the dresser is? Would make more room for a seating area. Art work above the headboard.
January 25, 2013 at 8:11PM   
ssrriley
So much to think about....the paint color is Ralph Lauren Regent metallic. It was just painted and was picked to tone down the terracotta colored carpet which we didn't want to change. I made the headboard just recently and it is as large (tall) as I could make it with one board. I am having trouble with something above the bed due to the shape of the headboard but did think about a cluster of mirrors. The rest of our house is a mediterranean feel and I suppose I could repait the walls a lighter color to match the flow of the rest of the house. I am wondering about a large rug under the bed, but don't know about rug over carpet. The duvet is actually cream---think maybe a curtain drawing in the cream color might move your eye around the room more. Thank you for everyone's comments and suggestions.
January 25, 2013 at 8:28PM     
nysnh
Thanks for the paint color. Absolutely love it. :)
Cannot believe you made the headboard. You are so handy. I feel my decorating ability is seriously restricted by my handy level.
January 25, 2013 at 8:38PM     
j5994647
I may be old school, but whenever I've decorated I start with 1-2 favorite color/colours and their coordinating palattes. That is the basic color theme or thread that runs through the entire house tying it all together. For the bedroom I've had people choose a patterned bed pillow or comforter/spread. once i decorated a bedroom from a painting. The people wanted the colors, textures and sense of peacefulness that the painting made them feel. The paisley is a perfect example. I just can't see what is that focal point or key that connects all of the colors,tectures or styles together. I've done eclectic and this isn't it.
January 25, 2013 at 9:48PM   
Keitha
Really like the headboard and the wall color but I do agree with some other comments that the bedding is not right. A little too much going on I think! Consider getting a neutral tailored ( maybe pleated) bedskirt and coverlet to ground the bed. Make or purchase a duvet cover to go over the existing white comforter folded at the end of the bed.. A simple large pattern in rust/ cream maybe? For me the salmon and turquoise pillows are not working!! So maybe you could incorporate the duvet fabric in some of the pillows. Simple neutral drapery panels hung high at each end window on a chunky drapery rod would be nice and would definitely soften the harsh lines of the windows. Existing art is too small in scale. Think BIG for impact!!!
January 25, 2013 at 10:13PM   
Susanna
Love what you have done with the bed! Those colors together are so rich especially with the beautiful wall color. I think the problem is the cream comforter. It looks comfy so I would keep it and find a duvet cover for that. The shades on the lamps are too formal and the base disappears into the wall. I would love to see hammered copper lamps.

The problem with the wall isn't color in my opinion, but scale. Too much blank space above the bed. I would put a tapestry in keeping with the eclectic, somewhat Moroccan feel of this room. Art.com has a lot to choose from and some quite large. Tapestries have a softer look than a painting in glass. The pictures just need blue mats the color of your pillows. I would take a pillow to the frame shop. I like the boxes at the end of the bed so I would keep them there.

There is a photo on Houzz with a wall color like this and a design that starts at the ceiling and fades down into the wall color. That would be great here. I'll see if I can find it again. I think you have a great start!
January 26, 2013 at 12:33AM     
PRO
Christine FREY
I would change the light and put Moroccan lamps or Sconces like these attached to give an intimate and warmful ambience. I would give another colour to the furniture or change the brown colour of the wall.
January 26, 2013 at 7:43AM     
ssrriley
I agree wtih your lamp comment and also think I should lighten the bedside tables. This would break up that wall.
January 26, 2013 at 7:49AM   
trasgorshek
Your headboard is gorgeous! Beautiful job! I think your idea of mirrors would be perfect above your frame and I would just add some curtains to the beautiful windows to draw the eye. I would pull the blue from your accent pillows in a solid fabric like a linen. With final touches it will feel more finished to you. You've got a great start. I love your lamps, the only thing I might change is maybe switch out one of your tables.
January 26, 2013 at 7:58AM     
14thstreet
If you want to keep the wall color, perhaps a treatment like this would help? I don't know if the headboard color works against the wall color so well. You could carry the fabric to some floor-to-ceiling drapes for the windows also.
[houzz=
]
January 26, 2013 at 8:03AM     
suzie123
I think you need more contrast. There seems to be so much brown, brown walls, brown ottomans, brown furniture and dark linens. I think the easiest and least expensive thing to do is lighten the linens. Use light crisp colored linens, possibly with an ikat pattern. Then you can layer in the bright colored pillows. Then add something at the bottom of the bed, a chest , a bench that ties in with the headboard. i would even change the frames on the pictures. The gold seems to blend with the paint. I think you need contrast, maybe white frames? As to the windows, i would replace either with crisp fabric roman shades or maybe drapes. Good luck!
January 26, 2013 at 8:03AM     
14thstreet
Another thought, your room could really go British Colonial style... to lighten it up a bit, do floor-to-ceiling drapes or sheers in cream to tie in your duvet. Search houzz for that style and you may find your brighter bedding would work well with a lighter wall color in that style.
January 26, 2013 at 8:07AM     
Kelly Nicole M.
The wall color brings out the carpet color and looks too matchy, monotonous, and dark. New color would transform the room and make decorating easie.
January 26, 2013 at 8:11AM     
anitajoyce
I don't think the wall color is the right one for the room. It seems drab. The bed, bedding and wall color aren't working together in any fashion. Could you change either or both (the wall color or bedding)?
January 26, 2013 at 8:17AM   
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
You have a beautiful space and it's important that you make it your own!
With very little info about your likes/dislikes & personality, I played with some items based on what I could already see in your space.
Have fun and good luck with your decorating!
I'd love to see "after" pictures when you're done!
Caroline
January 26, 2013 at 8:21AM     
ssrriley
ooooooo! LOVE THIS! I can really see it!
January 26, 2013 at 8:37AM     
PRO
:) I'm glad you like it.
January 26, 2013 at 8:39AM   
terrybaty
Nice art work above bed that brings all colors in. And put personal photos all together on another wall.
If you paint end tables white, then keep white comforter... It's a beautiful room with a lot of potential....
January 26, 2013 at 8:50AM     
PRO
Added a drapery idea for you in this one.
(Sorry, could only put it on one side)
January 26, 2013 at 9:10AM     
ssrriley
Thank you!
January 26, 2013 at 9:27AM     
More Discussions
What color should I paint the hallway alcove?
I am stumped, Houzzers. Behold our upstairs hallway....
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
color/style knobs for white kitchen oil rubbed bronze cks hood
Trying to decide on lighting and hardware for the white...
Glass shower door
Is there a clear glass shower door made yet that does...
Just got a house need help with living room
I want to do browns and teal. And would like a. Sectional....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.