Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need advice with Living Room
Michelle Goddard
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just bought the house and need some advice as to what lounge suite would suit the lounge.The entrance to the lounge is on the right hand side. My thoughts are to put the TV on the wall where the large table is or in the corner where the black stool is. What should I do the brick fire place? Any idea's would be much appreciate.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
jansgirl
Your area is certainly large enough for an "L" shaped sectional.
January 25, 2013 at 10:15pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Great room! I agree with jansgirl about and "L" sectional an should be in a neutral color, maybe leather, maybe fabric. Anything in the beige to drk brown or black. Place in front of the window and onto the wall there the sofa is now. An end table , maybe glass, with lamp on each end. Drapery panels on the window..off the sides and hung as high as possible. I would get a large wall unit, tall..to house the TV, storage on bottom, and other shelves on the sides. On the wall opposite the window. I would and to smaller chairs flanking the TV in maybe a stripe. A really large patterned rug that all sofa front feet sit upon. You need large art on the walls and maybe a large framed mirror on the fireplace. Beef up the mantle..thicker ..just bigger. I would have 2 very large pictures framed the same, on either side of the fireplace. I would also consider painting the brick your trim color, it would also disguise the A/C unit. Choose you paint color last. If you paint the brick a white, the walls would look good a darker shade, maybe a greige tone. O possibly a a color from your rug. Several ottomans for coffee tables that can be used for extra seating if lots of company.
January 25, 2013 at 10:35pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Dozing off on my typing....
January 25, 2013 at 11:24pm   
Susanna
This would be a lovely room in a light caramel with a cream ceiling. Since you said lounge, I am thinking you are in the UK. Therefor, I would stay away from gray or greige because you need warmer colors. Do you need the fan? I would like a ceiling medallion and new fixture. Gold but modern. Nothing too precious draping in crystals. Medallions are easy to find online. Paint it the same color as the ceiling just for architectural detail. Nothing frilly.

I actually would start with a painting on the fireplace with colors and image you like and a large rug that coordinates. The reason is because it will give you the other colors in your palette. You can then choose your sofa color from the rug. I think you will be happier with a fabric sofa as leather is cold in winter and slippery. I like a comfy velvet or chenille for the sectional. If you have kids, I would vote for chenille. Hope that helps!
January 26, 2013 at 1:23am