Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ceiling & Crown Moulding
memout
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello, we recently moved into a new unpainted home where the ENTIRE house was primed in a light cream colour. Feels rough to the touch, scuffs easily and just plain ugly. We painted the walls with "Benjamin Moore Abalone 2108-60" but we left the ceiling and the moulding (and baseboards) unpainted . So my questions are:
If we paint the moulding a semi glossy white, can we leave the ceiling as is? Do we have to paint the ceiling the same shade of white but as a Matte? If so what about the rest of the house? Do all the ceilings in the hallways need to be painted this same white? (for continuity?)

Will the room look awkward with grey walls, white crown moulding and a light cream ceiling?

(ignore the pillows, getting rid of those :P)

Thanks guys!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mmilos
You don't want to leave the ceilings with just a coat of primer. Paint a matte white for a traditional look. Or if ceilings are very smooth, a new modern trend is to go full gloss lacquered on the ceilings.

You could also paint your ceilings white with just a hint of the wall color mixed in.

If you do bright white for trim, keep the ceiling a cool tone white. If you do a creamy white on the trim, opt for a warmer, creamier white on the ceiling.
January 25, 2013 at 9:42pm     
memout
Thanks mmilos! I feel the same way, just needed some sort of confirmation from someone else
January 25, 2013 at 9:50pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would add a small wood strip with a profile I have sometimes used basecap inverted (approx 1-1/2" high) about 3 inches lower than your crown molding, then paint the crown, the space and the smaller strip the color and gloss of all your trim. I would then paint the ceiling the wall color..really shows off the crown. Or if you are doing any accent color, I would have a light (not whitish) shade of that accent color. I ALWAYS paint the ceiling anything but white shades.
January 25, 2013 at 10:02pm     
mmilos
Sure thing! Good luck!
January 25, 2013 at 10:02pm   
memout
That's a good idea Barbara. Will definitely consider adding an extra strip!
January 25, 2013 at 10:20pm   
Keitha
To me white ceilings are boring!. A simple way to add interest to your room would be to paint the ceiling a color. You could go a shade or two darker than your wall or stay in the same color DEPTH as your walls but go for a color that you would like as an accent to use throughout the room in throw pillows and a few accessories... These touches would pull the room together and give it pizzaz! I never use paint with a sheen on the ceiling... It just enhances imperfections. Stay with flat paint.. It gives warmth.
January 25, 2013 at 10:26pm     
memout
Thanks Keithalikes!
January 25, 2013 at 11:00pm   
More Discussions
colour problem in bedroom
My bedroom got repainted light brown. But looks light...
what would you suggest for this kitchen !! :)
Would you tear out the left side pantry or paint? ...
Ideas to decorate the recess window areas
It is a very sunny area due to all the windows facing...
Is Houzz a bit snobby about less expensive renovating options?
Not everyone can afford or wants to go with the most...
Large remodel - go tankless or keep existing hot water heater
Our current hot water heater will work for our addition...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.