powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What cabinet/wall colors for this kitchen??
raccoa
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have recently purchased a home, and I am having trouble envisioning what cabinets and wall colors we should use in the kitchen, given the wood floors. There are a LOT of cabinets, so I don't really want to paint the cabinets, but it is certainly on the table. I was thinking of doing a gray theme to tie in the corian countertops, and of course, we are replacing the outdated appliances (although I prefer black over stainless). Ideas??
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
jeniferlmw
In our area, white is the way to go. All of the very expensive faux finished French country and Tuscan cabinetry are out, white is in...
January 25, 2013 at 10:53PM     
Katherine Floritto
I like the honey-toned cabinetry very much - it's not overpowering as many 'wood' kitchens tend to be. If you prefer black, go with it. If I were changing anything, it would be the countertops...changing them out for a deeper colour, perhaps a deep charcoal, although the black appliances might have something to say about that... Once you've decided on them and have them installed, you'll know better which way to go with the rest of the room. Without knowing the measurements of the room, it seems that the planning of it is a bit poor. You h ave a sink at one end and the fridge quite a way from it, at the other end. The 'triangle' much loved by most kitchen experts is a bit elongated in this one.. :) But, all in all, you don't have much to do to get what you want. I definitely would not change the cabinets, unless they're in very poor shape, which they don't appear to be. Wood, especially that colour wood, goes with anything. Paint is paint. Once you've used it, you're stuck with it - you can change the colour, but going back to the original finish is next to impossible...plus, it works well even with the floor!
January 25, 2013 at 11:14PM     
charleee
I agree with Katherine, don't paint the cabinets. Instead, get the black appliances you prefer, and paint the island cabinets black. Change the countertops to charcoal gray. Do paint the crown molding, but not the molding around the windows. [houzz=
]
January 26, 2013 at 1:54AM     
PRO
Dytecture
Also going along with not painting the cabinets, consider replacing the countertop and the grey wall color as you mentioned.

January 26, 2013 at 6:00AM