Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with redesigning front of house
Brian Daly
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am currently looking at buying the house attached. It has plenty of space inside which would be ideal for us but from an exterior perspective it is not to our liking.

Could anybody suggest a few ideas/pictures that would allow us to remodel the front and back of the house relatively inexpensively. We had thought about building an atrium/porch at the front replacing the current dormer window and changing both windows at the front to give more height and sense of style.

We would not envisage replacing the rest of the windows around the house as they are all new and there are too many to replace. We are not fond of the window colour (brown and PVC) but believe we will have to live with this or find away that potentially would work by painting/covering. (Is painting PVC possible and would it work?)

We have discussed potentially Cedar cladding parts of the house, maybe changing paint colour to Grey with cedar contrast.

Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated before we considering going ahead with the purchase.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Hello- I am not able to enlarge these photos. Are you able to post the web address of the house photos on the agents site? It would be good to see some photos of the inside of the house as well to get a better idea of what external modifications would be appropriate.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 2:44AM
Brian Daly
http://www.myhome.ie/221375

Please try the above. Our intention is to totally redecorate the interior.

New kitchen, doors, high skirting boards, coving, wainscotting in hall and drawing room etc
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:20AM
PRO
Hi again-I have done a very rough sketch on my design program. I generally feel that the dormer window is too small and you need a bigger , bolder window area above the front entry. Looks like it's a great house by the way and will be wonderful to renovate.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 4:11AM
PRO
Sorry...forgot to attach
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 4:14AM
Brian Daly
Thanks for the feedback, we had something similar in mind. Would you suggest bringing the door out to the front? What about the windows either side, we would think about replacing maybe in a different colour, possibly grey, and add some cedar cladding to the house front and paint walls grey.

We are also toying with the idea of bring double doors out to the front with arclight over head and then to add coving around the windows with arc that mirrors the arc light to try and soften the whole angular look to to the front.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks Brian
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 5:18AM
PRO
Dytecture
Just a matter of getting the proportions right with the front porch.

1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 6:30AM
Dar Eckert
Mercer House
New entry way

Here's a couple of thoughts for you. I think this house has a very commercial feel to it but that is probably because it doesn't have any landscaping. Remove some of the blacktop around the entry to add planting beds for shrubbery and flowers will most certainly help. You are right on to think about changing the dormer and bumping out this section of the front of the house. It is very flat right now.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 6:59AM
PRO
hello again- I've created an ideasbook for you. Not sure how that works exactly but I think you click on my file ie The Virtual Designer and you will see your ideasbook with your name on it. let me know if you have any trouble.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 7:49PM
zindor
The front seems to need a bit of symmetry. I agree with enlarging the dormer. I also agree that there is too much blacktop next to the house. If you are unable to remove some of the blacktop, you could add some large vertical shrubbery in pots on either side of the entrance and possibly on the far sides of each window. Here is an example of the vertical plant style I have in mind:
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:23PM
Brian Daly
Thanks Annie (Virtual Designer), I think we are on the same wavelength as my wife and I have picked out some of the images you highlighted already. Zindor, I like the image of the vetical planting ro soften the angular feel.

Thanks Brian
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 1:21AM