Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Inspiration needed grey and gold
Liz
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello! I'm really inspired by all the grey color palest and beautiful pics. I need to paint my living room and am looking to replace my sofa with a some sectional (with chaise). I have gold curtains from pottery barn. I'm thinking I'd like a grey sofa but my dining room which is attached to living room has red walls under chair rail. Also entryway/hallway is a subtle gold color. Would this work? Any suggestions or advice welcome. Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
olldroo
Hi Lizw - I am assuming your photos have been taken at night as the rooms look quite dark? I personally like a darker room for dining but was wondering about lighter softer colours for your living room. Greys and reds certainly look great together, so the reds in your dining room would not be out of place with greys in the living area and you have gold candles and the gold photo frame to link the dining room with the living room. Do a search of photos here under grey and gold living room, you will find some great ideas like these two.

[houzz=Modern living]

[houzz=dakota]
January 26, 2013 at 5:13am     
Liz
Love the grey wall color in the second link. What color sofa would you recommend? Do you think darker grey sofa lighter walls? The photo attached is the fabric for my curtains in living room.
January 26, 2013 at 5:21am   
Liz
I also still need to paint above the chair rail in dining room as that is still white.
January 26, 2013 at 5:22am   
olldroo
I'm not a grey fan, but that grey is dramatic, isn't it. I did consider those colours for my dining room because I loved the drama of it, and I have all black furniture so it could have looked good but then decided it really wasn't me. I ended up painting the room a very soft lemon. You are going to need a room with good light to pull it off though although I note from the photo they have only used it as a feature wall which you could do on that end alcove wall and then paint the other walls and above the chair rail in the dining room a pale grey. A patterned grey on grey like in the first picture would be good for your lounge, if you like that or alternatively a mid grey colour a bit darker than the pale walls but paler than the deep wall. What aspect is your room? Your curtains are pretty close to the curtains in the photo, your pictures should go well and I think the gold frames will really set them off against both the dark and pale walls.

Personally, I'm not keen on grey and brown together although I note here it is being used a lot and many decorators recommend it, so a very pale grey should look good and it will definitely look great with the red. The two rooms will be quite different in colour but with having the lighter grey walls in both rooms and the gold touches you already have it should tie the two rooms together nicely.

Here is another room with more taupe than grey but the taupe would go well with your red too. The bed linen is a pale grey though to give you an idea of a grey lounge.

[houzz=
]

Next thing you probably need to do is to grab some paint colour chips and see what shades work best in your room. Colours will change according to the light your room gets. I usually grab a few of each shade of paint chip so I can tape them together for a bigger sample.
January 26, 2013 at 6:00am     
Liz
I'm sorry... Not sure I know what you mean by what aspect is my room! I'm new to all of this.
January 26, 2013 at 6:44am   
olldroo
What direction do your windows face? If they face west you will get hot afternoon sun in summer and need to take this into account with colours. A warm colour will make your room feel hotter. If your room faces north it will not get good light and will generally be a cold room so warm colours like autumn shades will make the room cosy. Reds and golds are good but greys are out. South and east facing rooms generally aren't as extreme and you have more choice of colours.
January 26, 2013 at 6:54am   
Liz
Oh ok. I get afternoon sun but the room doesn't have the best lighting. Eventually I will do recessed lighting in there but that's down the road. Thank you for all of your feedback.

This all started when I decided on getting rid of the camel sofa and getting a sectional similar to the one below
January 26, 2013 at 9:52am     
olldroo
So if you get afternoon sun then your room will be on the warm side and grey will be fine to keep a cooler look in the room. The only other thing is that you probably won't get much morning light and that is when your room could look very gloomy and dull and grey will make it worse, maybe not so much the pale grey but the darker one. This is where your paint chips come in to tape on your walls to check how they look at all times through the day. Once I have narrowed colours down to 2 or 3, I get mini pots of paint and paint a larger sample on the wall. Some people recommend painting something else you can move around the room but timber or heavy cardboard don't necessarily take the paint the same and can change the colour slightly.

I can relate to this as my loungeroom faces west also and summer afternoons are a nightmare. How long have you had your curtains? You are in winter now when you are probably enjoying that afternoon sun to warm your room and your curtains would be adding a cozy feeling too. Did you have your curtains last summer? If so, how did they feel in the room - there is no way I could put that colour in mine, they would make the room feel hotter.

Houzz is great for giving you colour schemes and furnishing ideas, but you still have to learn and understand your home. Remember these rooms are photographed in the best possible professional lighting so they are always going to look great, but that won't necessarily morph into your space. Understanding lighting and aspect really is the basics to successful decorating and it is easy to learn, it is just being aware of your rooms at all times of the year and how you feel in that room. Your rooms will tell you when the colour isn't right - the room will just never 'feel' right.

Love your lounge, I have just purchased one similar only mine has straight arms. I absolutely love the chaise, I used to have a recliner, but the chaise is so much more comfortable and I can't wait to curl up on it each night and watch some TV. Do make sure you sit on the chaise and check the length is around 6" longer than your legs and feet. I purchased mine from a small retailer who custom makes everything so I was able to get a higher lounge with firmer cushions to enable my ageing knees to get up and down and they advised me on the length of the chaise and I am really happy with it.

I laughed at your comment as to how this all started, that is decorating for you and if it stops in your two rooms you will have done very well - lesser things can start a whole house decoration.
January 26, 2013 at 3:26pm     
Liz
I had the curtains last summer. I thought they looked great. Now the problem is I've been told to raise them to make the room appear bigger which of course means new drapes to accommodate the extra length. It really is a slippery slope.... This site is dangerous :)
January 26, 2013 at 3:36pm     
tennisanyone
Go for a grey sofa. I have had a gray sectional sofa for 30 years when it wasn't the "in" color. I have moved five times with it and it still looks brand new. I am now doing gray and yellow. but I have had every combination from when peach was in. I just keep changing the pillows and rugs. I also have a cream sectional sofa and when I get tired of it, I change the rug and pillows. Paint color on the wall will change so don't match your couch to a red wall that can easily be painted . Your drapes will change over time too but your furniture should be an easy color to live with. I like neutral/beige,green,grey,cream, you can't go wrong. Yes, raise your drapes, that is an easy fix and gray would look beautiful with those drapes too.
January 26, 2013 at 4:01pm     
olldroo
Lizw, I'm glad you had the curtains through a summer and are happy with the colour of them. As far as the height goes do what you are happiest with. I have noticed this trend on here to hang curtains high but I think your rod would get lost at ceiling height. Here curtains are pretty much always hung on the architrave, maybe it is a structural thing, curtains are heavy and need to be solidly secured to the wall, the architrave is perfect for that whereas higher you would have to find studs in the right place. I don't know about the room looking bigger, your drapes only take up part of a wall.

Whatever, you decide, Liz, make your changes slowly and live with things a bit. You have your heart set on the grey, and provided it works in your room then go with it. I have just tried to give you tips to ensure the grey is ok so you won't be disappointed at the end result. Get your paint chips, then check them against fabrics you can get for your lounge to ensure that all works and once you have that right then go ahead and paint and get your lounge. Do beware, greys have many undertones - blues, greens and pinks, even yellows so you have to ensure the fabric grey has the same undertone as the paint or vice versa as the degree of the undertone will change in your room according to lighting and whatever else you have there. We know your paintings will go great, so then it is a matter or arranging your furniture how it works best for your needs and then add any other accessories. When all is done, then reconsider your curtains - actually looking at them again, it looks like they are a hand traverse? In that case leave them, they will be harder to pull the higher you have them. Try kneeling on the floor and pulling them to get an idea.
January 26, 2013 at 6:15pm     
Liz
Here are some pics I took today. Hopefully the lighting is better... Also here is a lamp I just bought for the room. Will need a matching table lamp:
January 27, 2013 at 1:10pm   
Liz
More
January 27, 2013 at 1:29pm   
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
You are getting really great advice. I have read most of it but didn't see this point listed - always buy your new furniture first and then select a paint shade. There are far less fabrics and if you find a sectional on sale that's already grey then you can find a paint shade that is lighter to give the fabric a richer look. Your lamp looks great too!
January 27, 2013 at 1:38pm     
tennisanyone
With a few easy changes, it could look better. I would move the black chair and ottoman where the console table is and angle it into the room. Move the console and mirror out of the room for now.. It is competing with the TV and fireplace, also take out the other chair. Center the couch on the wall too. Can you center the tv over the fireplace too? Also, remove the gold picture too and replace it with the one by the black chair. Then, when you buy your sectional, I would put the chaise part on the long wall.
January 27, 2013 at 1:58pm     
Liz
Thanks tennisanyone. The tv is centered over fireplace... It's just on an articulating arm so it can be pulled out and moved around.
January 27, 2013 at 2:19pm   
tennisanyone
OK it just looks a few inches off on my screen. No problem. :)
January 27, 2013 at 3:17pm     
olldroo
Joanne, I suggested Liz ensured her paint and lounge fabric co-ordinated before she purchased anything. I have just been through 10 months of trying to co-ordinate my loungeroom. I knew I wanted blue for the room, blue walls and blue lounge. I found the blue paint I knew would work perfectly in the room and then went after fabric - well blue was not a trendy colour so I had next to no choice, the closest I could get was a sea green/blue so then I tweaked the paint to co-ordinate and it was all wrong for the room. Eventually my lounge supplier found some fabric that was closer to blue, still not the shade I originally wanted, but when I checked the paint for it the whole room came together well and I am loving it, in fact I think it is better than the original colour I was hoping for. When colours come in trends, this experience has made me very cautious and why I suggest to people that they match everything and check it in their room before spending a cent.

In Liz's case she is looking at grey which has many undertones and certain undertones may not be right in her room. If she can't get sizeable samples of fabrics then paint chips are the best way to check out shades first to have a base to work from.

Definitely agree with tennisanyone re the console and mirror, certainly the mirror competes with the TV and the console, as lovely as it is is just too big for the space. There really isn't a lot of room there so I would move the pretty pink chair to that corner with a small side table and one lamp.
January 27, 2013 at 4:29pm   
PRO
LB Interiors
Yes, I agree TV still not centered, I think. It looks a lttle awkward. I know it's a job to change it, so I understand.
January 27, 2013 at 4:32pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
Maybe you could put the long console table behind the sofa with two lamps on top for reading. This moves the sofa forward into the space and closer to the large chair. I agree, place the pink chair left side of fireplace with an end table. Add a trunk near the fireplace for blankets or toys. A tall tree plant in the corner of L-shaped walls by fireplace.
January 27, 2013 at 4:39pm     
Liz
You're right! Tv not centered. Haha. Too much work to move at this point. Ugh now it will bother me.
January 27, 2013 at 5:01pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
Don't know if anyone mentioned this. Switch out the mirror and dining room artwork. Trade places.
January 27, 2013 at 5:04pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
Maybe line up horizontally some smaller artwork on the dining wall so that they don't overlap the vent.
Want to see any changes when you do it.
January 27, 2013 at 5:06pm     
tennisanyone
Sorry to point out that the tv is not centered. I agree with LB, try the console table behind the sofa
January 27, 2013 at 5:14pm     
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
olldroo, Good for you and thanks for sharing your experience - 10 months. One thing I will state is that the reason professionals charge fees is that they can do what may take you weeks and even months in a far far far shorter time - sometimes a few hours. I feel the need to tell you because there seems to be a misconception that as a consumer you would be paying for a similar amount of time it takes you and this is just not true. While as a consumer you may have a few shops around we as designers have literally 100,000's blue fabrics. And, we honestly would be able to quickly assess if the tone/shade is even available.
Look, I realise even if it took 10 months part of the journey was fun - the thing is - I feel you could still have had all the fun without the stress if you found a good partner in a design professional.
This is a great site for seeing what is really happening in the design world - consumers, professionals, products - this is the best community and I feel excited about being part of it.
Looking forward to seeing this project's grey palette outcome as well.
January 28, 2013 at 7:17am     
PRO
LB Interiors
Joanne Totally my sentiments also.
January 28, 2013 at 10:03am   
Liz
I already moved some things around....
January 28, 2013 at 3:01pm     
tennisanyone
WOW what a difference. Just a few more suggestions if I may. Take all the little stuff off the console table but leave the lamps. Perhaps, put a few things on the end tables. Maybe some books too and rest a candle or pictures frame on it. But don't over do it. I like the black chair in the corner but not with the lamp. I think you need a floor lamp. I would take down the gold picture by the chair too. Leave the mirror for now. It is probably heavy to move Amazing just by moving stuff.
January 28, 2013 at 3:24pm     
tennisanyone
Just thought of something else. Move the end table and lamp out next to the black chair and try the ladder bookcase there. What did you do with that? You will have to move the chair down too. It could be a nice cozy place to read. Doesn't hurt to try it. Maybe I would try that mirror in the vertical position over the couch too.
January 28, 2013 at 3:27pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
WOW, WOW, WOW. Great job. I like tennisanyone. About the lamp, a floor lamp is good, although a shorter lamp would work better for the scale of the table, if you need it for setting down food, drinks or a magazine
January 28, 2013 at 5:13pm     
Liz
I ordered this floor lamp a few days ago. I think I'll put it with the brown leather chair. For now I have left the leaning shelf thing where it was...
January 28, 2013 at 5:14pm   
PRO
LB Interiors
Would the pink chair fit under the art on the left wall by coffee table?

Art on left wall by coffee table seems a little too high? Just a thought.
January 28, 2013 at 5:17pm   
PRO
LB Interiors
tennisanyone - good idea about the ladder. The ladder unit fills the small wall where you had it very nicely also.
January 28, 2013 at 5:22pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
Will mirror fit in your dining room horizontally, looks like you could use more light in the dining? But, It should not overlap the vent. Replace with one of your artworks. I agree with tennisanyone about no art on left wall by the brown chair.
January 28, 2013 at 5:24pm   
PRO
LB Interiors
Now all you may want to do, is a few large accessories in the bold colors drawn from your sofa pillows.
January 28, 2013 at 5:28pm   
PRO
LB Interiors
Maybe a colorful area carpet under the coffee table to ground the room?
January 28, 2013 at 5:34pm   
Liz
Moved the ladder shelf to the nook area
January 28, 2013 at 8:36pm     
Liz
Lowered artwork
January 28, 2013 at 8:38pm     
tennisanyone
Now I would move the mirror over the couch and take off the picture frames from the console. Just have the lamps and mirror. I would pare down the accessories on the ladder through and get rid of the small table and vase with branches by the chair. Less is more. Maybe even leave a shelf blank so you can put a cup of coffee and book on it. I don't think you need the other art pieces to the right of the couch wall either. Do you have a throw for the back of the chair? What do you think so far?
January 29, 2013 at 4:49am     
Liz
I really like the changes so far. I will move the mirror.. that was a tough one to do so I will need an extra set of hands. I was hesitant to move the console table behind the sofa because I thought it was better to press the sofa against the wall to have more space, but I like the look of it. I also like the little nook area :) I think a smaller coffee table, paint, and a rug will make a huge difference. I'm excited to get my new floor lamp which should be here in a week or so. Not sure where I am going to put it.
January 29, 2013 at 6:29am     
tennisanyone
Yes agreed smaller rectangle coffee table , rug
And paint will make a difference too. Right niw
Its just about rearranging and paring down. Glad
You like the nook. After all your work , you will
Need a rest.
January 29, 2013 at 6:52am     
Liz
New lamp came today
January 29, 2013 at 3:40pm     
olldroo
Liz, just wondering, if you like the mirror where it is, could you hang it vertically. What does everyone else think?
January 29, 2013 at 3:43pm     
Liz
I don't love it there it was just really hard to hang haha. But I'll be able to move it. Vertical where it is or above couch? Thanks everyone for your input!

Does the lamp work there?
January 29, 2013 at 3:54pm   
olldroo
Sorry, Liz I meant to say how much I liked the lamp. I think if you take the mirror away and put the lamp a little more behind the chair, just out of the corner it will also be well placed for anyone reading. It doesn't look good having the lamp reflected in the mirror when it is on either. The only other aspect is whether it affects the TV at all.
January 29, 2013 at 3:58pm     
tennisanyone
I would definately take down the mirror and try it over the couch. Too much going on in that corner. Either horizontal or vertical. Maybe it is easier horizontal because that is probably where the hooks are. Give it a try. The lamp is very contemporary. Try moving it to the right of the chair.
January 29, 2013 at 3:59pm     
olldroo
Bit concerned if the lamp was on the right of the chair, it will impact on the TV. Anyone watching it from another angle would have the light in their line of vision. Definitely worth a try though.
January 29, 2013 at 4:03pm     
Liz
The lamp can go either side bc I doubts tone will sit in the chair to watch tv... Kinda a weird angle. Which looks better?
January 29, 2013 at 4:14pm   
tennisanyone
Liz, after looking again at your dining room, the rug is too small under the table Try moving it in the living room but make sure the front of the couch sits on it. It still looks too small for the LR It may not even reach the big coffee table but see if you like having a rug in the living room. Its not contemporary like you are going for but it is worth a try. I meant the lamp should go just a few inches to the right of the chair, not all the way on the right. It is so easy to try and then make a decision. I would also take down the picture by the vent in the DR room. I hope you don't mind all these suggestions. I do understand it is your house and you can do whatever you want. It is just that in two days, the LR has such a nice feeling that I get excited too for people when they are happier living in their space.
January 29, 2013 at 4:15pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Repaint the red and gold walls into the grey palette you want to match.
January 29, 2013 at 4:16pm     
tennisanyone
I Just noticed the lamp. Not all the way to the right. More towards the right of the chair. The mirror needs to come down.
January 29, 2013 at 4:21pm     
Christine Lema
Move the mirror as it is about the same size as the tv. They compete and it looks too uniform. I like the chair and ottoman in the new place. Try putting the smaller chair to the right or left of the couch. Also, a smaller coffee table in front of the couch would look nice.
January 29, 2013 at 4:32pm     
nikitasmom
The changes are amazing. I would suggest having some of the photos scanned into a digital format and adding a digital photo frame to the ladder so you have a balance of both photos and other items. Also save some space on that 2nd shelf from the bottom for drinks and perhaps a book or magazine.
January 29, 2013 at 6:20pm     
Liz
Tennis anyone: the vent in dr is such an eyesore. If I take down the artwork on the wall what would you suggest there instead?
January 29, 2013 at 6:36pm   
PRO
LB Interiors
The threads are so lengthy, almost like reading a book - I posted previously.
Will mirror fit in your dining room horizontally, looks like you could use more light in the dining? But, It should not overlap the vent. Replace with one of your artworks. I agree with tennisanyone about no art on left wall by the brown chair

Maybe line up horizontally some smaller artwork on the dining wall so that they don't overlap the vent.
January 29, 2013 at 7:25pm   
tennisanyone
I think the picture draws attention to the vent. Once you paint the DR , the vent will be painted too and less noticeable. Maybe someone will have an idea about the vent too. Your furniture is nice in the DR and will be easy to work with. I would like to see that wall without the mirror. I must tell you this now, I am not the person to pick a paint color through the screen. I hope some of the other houzzers will weigh in when you are ready. I am a better re-arranger. I have been meaning to tell you, your floors are so nice and will complement the more contemporary look you are looking for. Enjoy your new reading/ relaxing nook. You deserve it.
January 29, 2013 at 7:34pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
I have a feeling that when ... 3 artworks are lined up under the vent, that is what your eyes will see first. They may distract you from noticing the vent so much. Maybe you can try it and see what we all think?
January 29, 2013 at 8:39pm     
olldroo
I think I need to find a dilemma to post here - we are sure giving Liz a workout and I could certainly do with one.
January 29, 2013 at 8:42pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
I meant to say, I like the lamp too.

I'm just wondering if you put the mirror over the sofa, that the light reflection from the window may not be good TV watching. That happens in my room when a kitchen light is on which is opposite the TV.
January 29, 2013 at 9:14pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
If have more guests who may use this room, consider 2 small ottomans placed around a smaller coffee table (I agree with someone's idea) ..... or ..... place the ottomans under the left wall under the artwork. Ottomans can store kids toys and your snugglers, extra seating for more guests. Then throw a party.
January 29, 2013 at 9:18pm     
olldroo
LB Interiors, Liz has two threads going on this dilemma, which is getting confusing but she wants to keep the coffee table as it was a special gift from her parents, which I think is a very valid reason for working around it.
January 29, 2013 at 9:24pm   
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks olidroo, isn't this already a lot of work and time. I didn't ever see the other thread for Liz.
ok scratch the ottoman idea. Thanks for the info. Yes I agree. It seems like somewhere in the posts, she was liking the idea of a smaller table? Did she ever respond negatively to that idea on this thread? i must have missed it.
January 30, 2013 at 2:23am   
PRO
LB Interiors
wow, this houzzing is addicting! Designing is my passion and this is rediculously fun and exciting to see the changes by all the houzzers.
January 30, 2013 at 2:25am     
PRO
LB Interiors
Here is a visual to get your opinion about artwork on the dining wall.
Quick sketch, not the best, but gives you an idea. I think if there is only one object in a space (vent), that's all you see.

January 30, 2013 at 2:56am     
tennisanyone
I did not know Liz had another thread going about the coffee table. OK, if it is sentimental, then keep it but it would be better with a smaller rectangle table. LB, I'm still not sure about the three pictures under the vent. This is a hard one. Nice sketch.
January 30, 2013 at 5:04am     
olldroo
LB and tennisanyone this is the other thread
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/321731

I think sometimes people without a lot of decorating skills read this site and feel the need to be up with the latest and forget about what they really like, what comes from their heart. It bothers me a lot when everything at the moment is grey, and almost every design dilemma people jump on with greys. Sometime I shudder at how many decorating disasters have come from this and why I always ask the poster for their tastes and ideals and try to teach them how to make their own choices and pull things together rather than just saying do this, do that. Let's face it too, no room really has to be THAT perfect. Not actually being in a room and getting a feeling for it makes it even harder.

That vent really is a nightmare isn't it. Why do they build things like that??
January 30, 2013 at 5:30am     
Liz
Sorry there are two threads. It is getting confusing. I didn't realize both posted when it started. I thought only one went up. Anyway, about the coffee table... I do love it and it is special to me, but am willing to replace with a smaller table for now. Right now I am in a townhouse and single but eventually see myself incorporating the larger coffee table down the road in my next home.

A question I was wondering, is if I move the mirror above the sofa what would I put on the wall in its place? Also, if the mirror doesn't work upstairs I have plenty of places to put it in my basement.
January 30, 2013 at 6:25am   
tennisanyone
Nothing on that wall for now. Not every wall has to have something on it since you already have the tv and fireplace. Lets just see it without a mirror when you get a chance.
January 30, 2013 at 6:37am     
olldroo
We will forgive you Liz - just you are getting conflicting advice. It will be up to you to decide what is more comfortable in the room regarding the coffee table. It looks to me like you have room for it and if you are in a townhouse and have nowhere else to store it, then you might as well be using it.

Definitely agree with tennisanyone - leave that wall blank, the lamp will be there and that will be plenty with the ladder and the TV.
January 30, 2013 at 6:56am     
Liz
Took down the mirror...
January 30, 2013 at 2:47pm     
tennisanyone
So much better, don't you agree? Try moving the lamp to the right so the shade is in the other direction but not close to the tv just behind the chair on the right. Worth a try. Now that corner looks so good, you will have to center the tv. I feel like we can all rest with a cup of tea and a good book in that corner :)
January 30, 2013 at 2:55pm     
Liz
The tv is driving me crazy now so yes it will need to be fixed. I do like the wall without the mirror. For now I'm trying this pic over the sofa bc I can so it without an extra set of hands. Thoughts? Only problem now is the room isn't as well lit as before when I had to large lamps on Each end table. Will just take some getting used to I suppose...
January 30, 2013 at 3:06pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
I like it without the mirror. I might try a tall tree plant on the right side of the chair. Spacial balance might be a little nicer. It shouldn't get in the way of TV viewing from my perspective. Not sure, would have to see it.

January 30, 2013 at 3:14pm     
Liz
Thanks LB Interiors. I think it needs something too. That's so neat how you can add it into my picture :) if only it were that easy!
January 30, 2013 at 3:16pm   
PRO
LB Interiors
I love the art. Nice colorful addition. Bounces the color of pillows around the room.
January 30, 2013 at 3:18pm     
tennisanyone
I like the lamp how it was, turn it the other way. Exactly LB what I was going to suggest too.Even adding a big fern behind the sofa. I love how you can put it on the screen. Wish I knew how to do that.
January 30, 2013 at 3:20pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
This is a great job! Love what you've done. Need to get busy on a real project here. Catch you later.
January 30, 2013 at 3:20pm     
tennisanyone
I'm taking a class tonight in Vastu design. Ever heard of it? Me neither. See you later.
January 30, 2013 at 3:21pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
tennisanyone, yes the dining artwork is a hard call!
January 30, 2013 at 3:24pm   
tennisanyone
Lets just ask the builder what we should do. He obviously, didn't give any thought to where he placed the vent.
January 30, 2013 at 3:27pm     
olldroo
I just googled Vastu design - wow, tennisanyone, it sounds very deep. Good luck, hope you enjoy it.
January 30, 2013 at 4:59pm   
Liz
Do you think I should keep the buffet lamps on console table or go with a lower lamp on each side that might give off more light? I could use the two I had in my original photos...
January 30, 2013 at 5:20pm   
nikitasmom
You may be able to camoflage the vent using decorative metal grills. This one I found on Amazon and it is 27" x 27". Hope you don't mind that I borrowed you dining room pic LB Interiors used to demonstrate the idea. There seems to be enough open space to allow the heat to pass through and if a metal vent is safe then I would think a metal grill would be as well.
January 30, 2013 at 5:21pm     
Liz
Nikitasmom- I like the idea of covering it. I like what you selected. Just a thought... The mirror that was near the tv is 32x48.. If hung vertically it would cover the entirety of the vent and could add more light.... Thoughts or huge mistake?
January 30, 2013 at 5:27pm   
nikitasmom
Its is a wonderful solution except vents usually have a function to radiate heat or to circulate the air. People do hang mirrors over fireplaces but how hot does the wall get compared to force heat from a vent? I am not sure if it would be safe. You may want to start a new discussion for this issue. Surely someone else has had this problem and it might bring in some opinions from builders who would know more about wall vents than I do.
January 30, 2013 at 6:00pm     
olldroo
Like the idea of the mirror over the vent - if it works. So you know exactly what the vent is for? You said you are in a townhouse - is that a complex? Do you know other owners to see how they have handled their vents? Agree with nititasmom and start a discussion purely on the aspect of covering the vent with the mirror.
January 30, 2013 at 6:09pm   
Liz
Yes in a townhouse... Middle unit. I know how one neighbor handled it bc their house is on the market and could see pics online :) They left the wall uncovered which looks bad. Nothing on that wall.
January 30, 2013 at 6:22pm   
olldroo
Put another discussion up and see if a pro will respond.
January 30, 2013 at 6:36pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
I had an idea about the vent when I was gone from the site. But with many of us, design never leaves our being. Can't help it, especially when there is a DIFFICULT BIG DILEMMA. i'll work on a sketch and see if I like it before I post it.
January 30, 2013 at 9:30pm     
olldroo
LB - especially at 2 AM!!!
January 30, 2013 at 9:36pm   
boofernana
You might have to say "goodbye" to the gold drapes or use them in another room. Grays work well with reds, as long as the red is more on the blue-ish side rather than the 'orange-ish' side. Your art work should be hung lower and this will, in turn, raise the eye above the chair rail, which also could be painted. Just a thought.
January 30, 2013 at 9:49pm     
olldroo
Liz, you asked before about the lamps behind the lounge. I would like to see the old ones back, I'm not happy with the light the present ones throw out either. Either that or swap the shades to see if a larger and lighter shade helps.
January 30, 2013 at 10:43pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
Well, I really really like nikitasmom' idea with iron. If you find 2 that fits the space - it's a great idea! I wanted to find an iron folding screen that isn't 72" high so it would fit above the chcair rail, I've seen some that are about 54". couldn't find one. Some are shorter, haven't found one yet.

Folding screen ... so ......... I'm sending one from a room project.
Maybe 3 panels. The length has to cover upper vent trim down to just above chair rail. Don't know that measurement. I found these a long time ago.

nikitasmom, Love the idea, guess we were thinking open filigree ironwork. 2 different approaches, but similar. Adjust art on the sides. Centered horizontally to the iron pieces.

You have 2 good options I think,

Folding Screen idea
January 30, 2013 at 11:31pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
Now, it's only 11:42 PM. I'm on the west coast.
January 30, 2013 at 11:42pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
what about these curtain designs? Mouse over the image of a full view.

For more designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
January 31, 2013 at 1:06am   
Liz
Switched out the lamps
January 31, 2013 at 9:41am   
PRO
LB Interiors
I prefer the others but,
If you want a little more traditional, use those in this pic
If you want a little more update, use the candlestick lamps.
January 31, 2013 at 10:29am     
PRO
LB Interiors
You could, buy new fresher lamps, but just shorter, that would work also.
January 31, 2013 at 10:31am     
tennisanyone
Agree with lb on the lamps
January 31, 2013 at 10:53am     
PRO
LB Interiors
Another thought, could buy new drum or oval drum shades for the urn lamps. Maybe saves some money.
January 31, 2013 at 4:01pm   
Liz
Yeah once I paint ill get new lamps. Just not sure what shape. I'm just leaving these now bc they give off much more light. I have been searching on houzz for inspiration! What an Addicting website. But I really do love the new layout of the room. Makes me really happy that I love made such an improvement and only had to buy a new floor lamp so far.

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. You are awesome :)
January 31, 2013 at 4:21pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
It's amazing what treasures we already own that can be re-purposed from other rooms, the garage, cellars and attics. I Iove that, I also like to save money for a client, as does olidroo.
January 31, 2013 at 5:06pm   
olldroo
Definitely those lamps give off far better and more even light than the others. Liz, try the shades on the taller lamps, will give you an idea of size and shape if you buy new lamps and definitely keep to a white or cream shade for maximum light.

"Addicting" is the perfect word for this website, Liz, keeps me amused and off the streets. Do develop a habit of looking into photos too, don't just take things at face value, break rooms down for any ideas, no matter how small, that you can take from them - colour schemes, furniture design, furniture layout, artwork, even just a layout on a corner table or a coffee table, it can all make a huge difference to the overall appearance of your room. I'm sure you have learned from this experience too that when you take a photo of your room, things can become more obvious to what you see actually standing in the room.

Thank you too LB, unlike you I don't have clients, just my very tight budget, being retired, but I do like to help people here achieve their dream rooms with minimum outlay. I think it is sad when people look at rooms they love on this site but dismiss ever having them because everything looks (and probably is) very high end not realising that it can be achieved on a lower budget once you understand the basics of what to look for, mixing colours and designs and furniture placement.
January 31, 2013 at 7:12pm     
tennisanyone
We will still think about the vent in the dining room
In the meantime, enjoy your new space.
February 1, 2013 at 6:58am     
PRO
LB Interiors
oilidroo, I agree, I couldn't have said it any better.
February 1, 2013 at 9:12am     
PRO
LB Interiors
Liz, I think you mentioned that the brown chair in the corner may not get much use, so that it doesn't matter that it's not good TV viewing. I would try to make the brown chair more functional, It would be nice to watch TV from that chair also.

Just a thought maybe, Is there a way you can move the brown chair at an angle and place where your ladder is? Maybe switch walls and move the ladder on the larger wall where the mirror was? Not sure if the ladder will conflict with the fireplace and TV?

You've done so many changes. So much energy and a great job. Sorry for adding a new idea to the list. Great job!
February 1, 2013 at 9:20am     
thedarlingsbecca
See living room, dining room (latter has damask patterned gray wallpaper). Family room is the rose/terra cotta color with a vaulted white ceiling. Carpeting, gray. Kitchen red/rose toile wallpaper with bone background and wood floor.
February 1, 2013 at 2:56pm   
thedarlingsbecca
Really like the metal items to cover the dining room vents. As shown, they point out off-centered-ness of table center length as opposed to the vents. Solve it by putting more metal items on most of back wall. Use identical ones, as if they were tiles, lined up evenly. Adds texture and focal point to dining room and solves vents issue.
February 1, 2013 at 9:48pm   
PRO
LB Interiors
Liz, thank you for the "likes". glad to help.
February 6, 2013 at 11:55pm   
nononanna
I"m coming late to this discussion, but are you still considering the sectional? I think it looks great as it is - sectional might overwhelm the space. There are little tweaks that you can do over time as you see things - lampshades, etc. - but in general you don't need any huge changes.
February 7, 2013 at 1:39am     
PRO
Vignettes by SM
For the return in the dining room to help "restyle" it - or give it style -you could take a large wood frame and use this type of metal sheeting that will allow the proper ventilation for the function -and it could be
painted any color to coordinate with your final design choice -some of the larger craft stores have large enough finished wood frames that could be used. My parents had this in their dining room as well and simply painted it a black metallic and incorporated wall art to coordinate - it did mask it but a decorative framed screen might be a great solution. Good luck !
February 7, 2013 at 2:21am     
PRO
Liz
Thank you for your suggestion Stacey Michelle. I do like that idea alot.

nononanna- at this point I think I'm going to live with the changes for a little while and start with smaller changes... such as new table lamps for the console table, a new coffee table, and area rug. I'm a little overwhelmed by paint colors so I think it will take some time to decide. Hopefully in the next for months I'll be on track!
February 7, 2013 at 6:59am     
olldroo
Liz, just remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. Do take your time, you have a lot to think about now and you certainly have picked up on ideas quickly. When it comes to paint colours too, you are in winter now so can visualise your room with certain colours in the cold weather, but by waiting another 5 or 6 months, you will be able to feel those colours in the summer months to know what will look best year round. Good luck with it all, and PLEASE post photos when you are done.
February 8, 2013 at 3:37am