Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Inspired by grey and gold..
Liz
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help with my living room. The walls need to be painted and I would like to replace my sofa with a small sectional. I have gold pottery barn curtains and would like to incorporate grey. Dining room which is visible from living room has red walls. Any suggestions and tips welcome!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Liz
I am also going to get an area rug for living room. Color suggestions?
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 4:50AM
Molly
maybe paint the walls a pretty taupe like this?
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 5:10AM
Liz
I apologize for the poor quality photos. This is my first post. The reason for posting those pictures was more for you all to see the layout of the room since I anticipate a lot to change color-wise (sofa, pillows, wall color, rug, etc). The below photo is the PB curtain.
4 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:13AM
Manon Floreat
Since you have a smaller room, I encourage you to edit out some of the furnishings and consider smaller scale items. I think your idea of a sectional is a good one. I would consider one on legs, as it will show more floor and impart a feeling of spaciousness. The coffee table you have is large and is dominating the room. Consider a smaller rectangular glass one, as it won't intrude so much visually. The leaning shelf, while nice is unnecessarily taking up valuable floor space. I'd remove it and hang art or a mirror on that wall.

The curtain placement can be improved to give your room a sense of more spaciousness. Mount them to the ceiling (it will visually expand the height of your ceilings) and lengthen the rod so that there is sufficient stack. Currently, they are eating up some of the window. The more light that comes through will result in a feeling of more space. Lastly, I'd consider a simple area rug, without a lot of bold pattern or color to lighten up and soften the room.

Here are a couple of furnishings to consider.
4 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:32AM
Manon Floreat
A couple more options:
10 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:34AM
Liz
Thanks Manon. Great suggestions. I love the rug and the tables. I know the coffee table takes up too much space. It was an expensive piece from my parents house... I know I should store it until I move out of my townhouse into a bigger home. It really does it up space.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:10AM
Liz
How am I able to see where those items are from? Love the rug and tables you selected.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:11AM
Manon Floreat
You're welcome lizw. I'm glad you like them. I really like gold and grey together.

The sectional is from Crate and Barrel. They also have a chaise model if you prefer that. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/klyne-3-piece-sectional-sofa/f42873

Round glass table: http://worlds-away.com/product/rollo-round-gold-coffee-table

Area Rug: http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/156281/Surya/Naya/NY5189/GrayIvoryYellow

Rectangular table is sold out. It was buy Nate Berkus for the HSN. The style is the French Directoire coffee table. It's a classic, so a comparable one shouldn't be to hard to find.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 11:57AM
Tina Tyminski_Jones
I recently purchased a similar rectangular table from Drexel Heritage (aka Thomasville...a combo. store). Love it...
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 1:37PM
Liz
Sorry
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:35PM
judianna20
I think Manon has solved your dilemma. Wonderful suggestions to make your grey/gold plan work for you.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 1:42PM
trasgorshek
You are going in a beautiful direction! Love the curtains and the lamp! Manon has given you some great selections. Pls let us know how it turns out. Have fun!
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 7:04PM
apennameandthata
Gold is a high status colour. If you are not REALLY carful, you will make your house look pretentious. The colour of the floor boards is not a natural match for gold either, IMHO. It would just as well match with silver. Two-tone interior of the dining room is already veering too far towards the too-formal and too-pretentious.

I truly hope I'm wrong. Whatever you do, 1) plan every single thing before you spend any money and 2) be prepared to replace every single stick of furniture, decoration, paint and surface by the time you are finished. And then, be prepared that you might have needed to, or need to, change the outside of your house, the garden and the street your house is located in before you can say, "job done".
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 7:13PM
jansgirl
Gold and gray look lovely together. Manon's choices are genious. Hope we get to see the changes.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 7:23PM
trasgorshek
Apennameandthata I think you completely lost us.
5 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 7:35PM
olldroo
Liz, I note you have two posting going at once here. Manon's rug suggestion is gorgeous, she always finds great things. I am curious to know the price of the sectional in $US. I automatically get it in $AUD and I just love comparing prices - usually we are sooooooo ripped off.

Tras - Appennameandthata IS lost!!!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 7:59PM
Liz
Olldroo, unfortunately the rug she picked is outside my price range. They grey sofa I like is $999 from a store called Havertys. I am still looking around though.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:50AM
olldroo
liz - you sound like me, all the nice stuff is outside my price range. Never give up though, at least you are getting ideas to pull it all together so once you have found colours and styles you like, and you have decided exactly what you want for your room, you just never know what you will find when you start seriously shopping and the thing is now, when you do see something you will immediately know if it is right or not. The $999 sounds a very good price, although I'm not up on US prices. Does it come with a warranty? My last lounge had a 15 year warranty and has lasted me 25 years, I'm really only replacing it because it is too low for me now. My new lounge has a 10 year warranty, so if I get 15 years out of that, well it might even outlast me. Also helpful if the cushions have slip covers so they can be washed in the event of any accidents. How much was that sectional Manon found in $US? Here it is $AUD3,553. I can't get the thingy to pop up that lets me change my location to US and I am curious to compare. Happy shopping, do keep us posted.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 6:11AM
trasgorshek
Liz, try rugstudio.com, I've always had good luck with pricing and selections there, huge selection and they are super nice. I called the store once, talked to a gentleman about my concerns over a certain rug. It was in the showroom, he walked right over to it, described it and sent me pics from his phone. Can't beat that! Plus free shipping and if you sign up for emails, I believe it's additional 20% off.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 6:48AM
Liz
The sectional Manon picked out from crate and barrel is $2,800.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 7:35AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
paint the walls red as in the dining room! should be nice with the drapery then use a lightish toned section and a patterned rug
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:42AM
Aja Mazin
Manon's exact same rug from Domestic Modern
http://www.domesticmodern.com/gray-rug-with-white-and-yellow-pattern.aspx

+ Available in 5' x 8' for $660
+ Available in 8' x 11' for $1,453

or
this Hand-Tufted Blantyre Grey/Yellow Wool Rug (8' X 11') - Today $549.99
at http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-Tufted-Blantyre-Grey-Yellow-Wool-Rug-8-X-11/6450041/product.html

or my personal fav

Hand Tufted Gray Wool 'Jeweled' Rug (5' x 8')-Today $239.99
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-Tufted-Gray-Wool-Jeweled-Rug-5-x-8/6479656/product.html
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:46AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I suggest no rug unless it is the proper size......the dining rug here is too small, has that been adressed?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:48AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
the dining rug seems to be a 5 x 7 is needs to be at least a 7 x 9
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:11AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
that dining rug might be an interesting choice for the living room to go only in front of the sectional...then correct the issue in the dining room with a larger rug....win win
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:13AM
Liz
i know the dining room rug is too small.. i don't really like it so down the road it will be replaced with the correct size. Would it be better to just remove it all together and not have a rug in there? I kinda thought something in there was better than nothing (even though it is too small).

Gary Finley, ASID, I already am sick of the red dining room haha. So I don't think I want to do the living room in the same color. I was thinking a very light grey for living room and above the chair rail in the dining room to tie the two together?
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 10:38AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
well, your choice......the wrong rug ? or no rug? .........think the decision is easy!

as for the gray, nothing in your space suggests gray to ME. you have a very warm color palette and a cool gray seems off. A green gray maybe....what part of the country is your home?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:19PM
Liz
I live in Baltimore, md. I took some suggestions into use already... Here are two pics. As for wall color, maybe a "greige"?
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 2:59PM
trasgorshek
A greige would be quite pretty.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:41PM
olldroo
Liz, thanks for the price - $750 difference isn't too bad, normally it is double and considering our $ is above yours, I get so annoyed.

Aja - you have outdone yourself again - what HUGE price differences.

As for no rug or the wrong rug in the dining area - chairs scraping on timber floors would annoy me more than the wrong rug, especially when it is only temporary.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:23PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
have you consider appling protective 'glide pads' of 'felt pads' that will take care of your concern for being annoyed
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:30PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
just trying to help and keep on target with the appearance of the spaces
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:31PM
Liz
Moved the ladder
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:36PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
of as for the sectional......I would never suggest a large uphlostery piece for $650.00 to be a good investment....by the time redecorating is completed it will be time to begin again....if you invest and not spend....there is a huge difference......you will be ahead in the long run.....just saying.....as the cheap stuff will have a poor appearance in no time at all
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:36PM
Liz
Lowered artwork to left of sofa. Maybe I don't need a new sofa? Starting to like the room without a sectional. Might just need to paint the walls, replace coffee table and get an area rug to tie the room together? I'm starting to think the grey scheme I was originally hell bent on wont work.

This is tough!! Don't know how you all do it ;)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:41PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
the gray wont work because it is a cool tone.....try gray greens before giving up
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:43PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
waht about a soft terra cotta
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:47PM
olldroo
Gary, her room faces west, I would hesitate to use a terra cotta colour.

I carpet my home so I don't have any noise issues at all.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 3:13AM
olldroo
Liz - clear your mind and play around with a whole new range of colours.

[houzz=Glenn Gissler Design]

[houzz=Garrett Park]

[houzz=Erika Ward - Erika Ward Interiors]

You can also go onto the Benjamin Moore and Sherwin-Williams websites and downloada photos of your room and "paint" them online to get colour ideas.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:59AM
Liz
That blue is gorgeous. I would love to do something like that but with my dining room a deep red, I don't think it would work.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:43AM
olldroo
I hate giving people work and expense, but you said you were over the red in the dining room, can you change that to the blue too and leave the top white. Not a lot of painting there to do it and if you really do like the blue then it is a pity to let a small amount of red paint stand in the way of 2 rooms you will really be happy in. It will definitely cheer both rooms up a lot.

The curtains in the photo look reasonably close in colour to yours and I was looking at the teddy bear for the lounge comparison.

You definitely need lighter area rugs in both rooms to break up the furniture and the flooring - they will make a huge difference.

If your sofas are still perfectly good, then you are saving yourself the cost of them, you don't need to replace your curtains, you have already culled some furniture, bought yourself the new lamp and your walls need painting anyway, so really you are just coming down to two area rugs as far as expenses go. It is the end result that is important.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:30PM
Liz
If I were to paint over red in dining room and paint the living room, what are you thinking? Would below the chair rail and living room be the same color? Would you leave above chair rail white? Hallway/ entryway outside dining and living rooms is a subtle gold color.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:26PM
olldroo
Yes, Liz, I'm just thinking of tying the rooms together to compliment each other, rather than a full on match. You have a lot of brown in the dining room and I do like blue and brown together and the white above the chair rail would keep the room really fresh.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:48PM
Wanda McGhee
Use the blue in dining room on the bottom and white on top and do living room in blue. Keep your furniture. Get new area rugs in lighter color. Play wirh rhat first and decide later if u want the sectional.
3 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:56PM
Wanda McGhee
I still love the coffee table. Keep it To big or not or send it to me.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:57PM
olldroo
Sorry, Liz, I missed the bit about the chair rail - yes I would keep it white, the same as the skirting at the bottom.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:04PM
Liz
The coffee table was from my parents. I've always loved it.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:39PM
olldroo
Then keep it Liz, there are probably other options that would work better or look trendier, whatever, but if it is special and meaningful to you and if you love it so, it will always look great - not everything has to be perfect and you do have the room there for it too. .
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 7:34PM
Liz
I am fine replacing the coffee table. I know eventually I will be able to incorporate it when I move out of my townhouse at some point down the road. I was just commenting to Wanda McGhee as she said she loves it :)
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:27AM
tennisanyone
Thanks Olidroo for sending this thread. LB and I are working with her on the other thread. Didn't know this one existed. Liz made some nice progress from where the room started. Liz, what are your thoughts now about the gray palatte? Like I said , I knew the Houuzeers would weight in on paint. I am better rearranger then picking a paint through the screen. I happend to agree with Gary, about a warm gray green. Looks at your current pillows and look at the green in them.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 6:34AM
Liz
Tennisanyone- now I am uncertain about the grey idea. I was originally thinking I would redo everything and got a little a head of myself. I was just liking the idea of greys but don't know if it is the right choice for me. Now that things have been moved around I like the space better and am starting to think a sectional might be a little tight in the space. I like the idea of painting over the red in dining room and painting the wall in living room. I am open to different colors, but would like to work around my camel sofa, gold curtains, and the entryway/hallway area is a goldish paint.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 7:25AM
olldroo
Liz, why don't you call by your local Home Depot (or similar) and pick up some paint chips - any colours that catch your eye and you like - bring them home and sit down and check them all out. I think you need now to be more hands on with actual colours and I just have a feeling something is really going to jump out at you that will be perfect.
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:35AM
Liz
I definitely will do that. I think i will go with something darker in the dining room and perhaps a lighter shade in the same family in living room so it has some flow. I do like the blue idea... I will go in with an open-mind though!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:32AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks olidroo, I finally see this second thread. That's why I was so confused on the other one, I missed the townhouse and the coffee table and carpet stuff. I hope that houzzers only use one thread because it also must have been confusing for you too Liz. With all these comments, going from one to the other.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 4:56PM
PRO
LB Interiors
coffee table - On second thought, a lighter piece and smaller with glass may be nicer to feel more open. Less weight in the room. I'm agreeing with others on either of the threads, it's been mentioned before from some others.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
Best Dishwasher?
Have you tried different kinds or brands of dishwashers?...
Help select a glam wallpaper and paint
Here's our working in progress dining room. I need...
new construction - blank slate GREAT ROOM
Where to start with a large great room? Dark floors,...
Foyer chest decor
Please help me think of items/colors to use on this...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.