Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my kitchen back splash
denisebard
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I had a small kitchen and knocked out a wall between kitchen/dining room/living room. It is one open space with an island. My back wall in my kitchen consists a sink with window over it and 4 oak cabinets (2 on each side above sink). I installed granite countertops. Where my last cabinet stops on left, it starts my dining room wall which has a 6' french door (with approx. 1 ft on each side). Problem: my oak cabinets end and granite counters extend 5" past that. I want to put up glass backsplash. Where do I end the backsplash without it looking odd stopping at the end of the cabinet? And if I did that, I wouldn't think a trim would look good but do you just leave it floating? THANKS! I'm stuck. Denise
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I would usually end it with the live of the upper cabinet. Having said that I would be more comfortable if you were to show a couple more photos of the entire wall, and of the rooms adjacent (kitchen,dining room).
January 26, 2013 at 5:59AM     
rainesey
I'm a designer and I've seen this several times before. Most often the backsplash ends in alignment with the upper cabinet. It looks best to me. When the tile extends past the upper cabinet it calls attention to itself and looks a little weird like you made a mistake. Generally it is left floating. Hope this helps.
January 26, 2013 at 6:05AM     
PRO
N Dobos Architecture
Here is my rule of thumb - Backsplash that extends all the way up to the upper cabinets should be aligned with upper cabinets.
January 26, 2013 at 6:11AM     
lauraingalls
End it with the cabinet. Unless you are using the same material of the countertop. In that case, you would need to add a mould or something to the cabinet to to make it even.
January 26, 2013 at 6:15AM