Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Design help needed with dining room lighting
dmerrill
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Moved in about a year and a half ago and have been wanting to change this orange/yellow light fixture from day one. Walls are a warm pink, chairs green toile. Please comment on anything else you think needs tweaking as well!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christine FREY
To create a warm and joyful ambience you should try moroccan pendant lights like these attached.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 7:14AM
dmerrill
Wow! I like the tiered fixture... any idea where I can get details on that piece?
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 7:31AM
patty40422
I would take down sheers over windows and replace with white or cream colored linen panels hung from a rod hung higher from the window trim. Hang panels farther to the side of the window to let in more light. Make sure panels aren't too short - that they at least touch the floor.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:00AM
patty40422
Also change draperies in adjoining room to the same panels suggested above.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:01AM
n247080
The walls look very dark in the photos, more like a cranberry color vs pink. Do you have another photo of the chairs? They're difficult to make out but I think they're a nice choice. My guess is you would like to create a more formal look with femanine undertones. I would capitalize on that by adding a chandelier that's more frilly with some glass to catch the light with perhaps some coordinating wall sconces over the sideboard and replace the current artwork with a large mirror. I would suggest blinds for the windows that when open but down have a sheer fabric. Then I'd put lace curtains around it hanging from close to the ceiling, down to the floor and extending almost to the side walls to create a look of a larger window but only barely covering the edges and top of the blinds. if the background for the toile is white I'd go with white window treatments. if not, I'd go with a creamy color. The radiator needs to be down played. is there room in the budget to build a window seat above/around it while still allowing heat to pass out the front?
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:43AM
n247080
What's the adjoining room? When you look at those draperies they don't encourage you in. They need to be replaced to suggest what that room is, honor it's individuality and yet coordinate with what you do in the dining room.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:45AM
patty40422
I like the idea of a glass chandelier to provide more light to a dark room. Not too frilly, but with enough crystals and prisms to reflect light.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 9:07AM
n247080
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/black-glass-turret-5-light-chandelier__t2123.html Couldn't figure out how to add an attachment. Here's a link to one you might like.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 9:26AM