Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
help with picking a backsplash & paint
julieroutt
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have been working on updating my kitchen on a budget. I have stripped and painted my cabinets and have replace all my appliances except my oven/range with stainless. The wall cabinets are white and my island dark grey. I really like the stack stone vent hood that was put in a while ago and want to keep it, however I will be replacing the white metal portion with stainless. I need help with picking a backsplash that will go with that stacked stone hood. I would also like help with paint. My kitchen is pretty big and gets lots of natural light. I was leaning between the same dark grey as the island or maybe a really light grey. I would love any suggestions anyone was willing to give. Countertops to come but I wanted to figure out backsplash and paint first. (Please excuse the mess in the pictures of the whole kitchen).
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Schlosser Design Group
Looks like you are making great progress on your kitchen. The order of planning a kitchen should put your selection of wall paint last.

Considering where you are I suggest the following:

1. Select your counter top. Either use a a quartz stone or a granite. Quartz can be more expensive than granite these days but you need to find one that will work with your stacked stone.

2. Select a backsplash that works both with stacked stone and the counter top.

3. Then select paint colors by choosing a few different shades of grey and painting large samples on 11x17 watercolor paper. Then you can put the samples in your kitchen and live with them over a few days noticing how they change in the natural light at different times of the day.

The most important way to chose, is to get all the samples of all the materials you are selecting for a space and to see them in the space together under the same light.

A large horizontal glass tile that is iridescent would look great with your hood. Mixing size and texture is really important in balancing a space so that it all harmonizes. Try to find one that is hand made and does not have perfect edges.
January 26, 2013 at 7:40AM     
julieroutt
Thanks so much for your input. I hadn't picked a countertop yet because needless to say that is the most expensive part :-) I didn't know if I should go dark or light and was thinking that paint and backsplash may help me decide that. Sounds like I need to bite that bullet first. Thanks for commenting.
January 26, 2013 at 7:44AM   
PRO
Stoneshop
I completely agree with Schossler Design Group. It is okay to keep your backsplash idea in mind when selecting a countertop, but you should always choose that first. Sometimes it is even nice to wait a little while after your countertop is installed so that you can live with it and get a good idea as to what kind of backsplash you think that you will like in your space. There are so many backsplash tiles out there, so you can always find something that will look great in your kitchen :)
January 26, 2013 at 7:55AM