Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with Fireplace & Bookshelves
cyndeelou
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need to decorate my fireplace and bookshelves. Large painting is likely leaving and we will be getting a larger TV to fit it's spot, we're just not sure if we should put it over our fireplace, or at the side like we have it. WE don't watch TV a lot, but we watched it last night and we moved the couch so that it would be parallel to the TV. We want to decorate the bookshelves. We'll have SOME books, but want to decorate it with other stuff, just not sure how. We LOVE color and since the rest of our house is neutral grays, whites and browns, we really want the pop of color in the bookshelves. Loved the horse bookends I bought at a thrift store for $5 and painted white. We love the teal/green/blue color on the other accessories and LOVE our ottomans and their colors. The room is open to our kitchen and dining room and is the main living area. We will also be replacing the couches at some point, but that is for a different post! Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
The idea is good! I don't see other [place for TV set. Is it a dining room table on a left side of the pic? I think if you'll puyt your TV above the Fire place then you have to play musical chairs: your sofa goes where you have two poufs, they go on the side of yor love seat and the love seat goes to replace the sofa.
To decorate your shelfs you can do in many ways and it does not have to be very busy either!:)))
January 26, 2013 at 8:05AM   
collettec
I think I would keep the tv where it is rather than above the fireplace. If you're getting new art that would be a great place for some added color. So would some type of background paper in your bookshelves. Perhaps a grasscloth or a wallpaper, perhaps a muted pattern in a color. Like the color of your ottomans, that might be a choice or perhaps a pattern in a blue gray so more of a connection to the fireplace.
January 26, 2013 at 8:13AM   
14thstreet
I really like the painting on your fireplace because it ties in your existing leather furniture, and also brings in the blue from your ottomans. It's much prettier to look at for your focal point than a TV would be. A coffee table in a rustic textural finish would be nice.
[houzz=Youthful Haven]

This is a good example on how to decorate built-ins. Note the color scheme is carried through-out with lots of textures. Don't fill them with lots of small items that will get lost.
[houzz=World Traveler]
January 26, 2013 at 8:19AM     
cyndeelou
Thank you, Nadia! The TV is in the bottom right bookshelf. I've attached soem pictures of the dining and kitchen in relation to the room. I'll try the idea of the sofa parallel to the fireplace. Thanks!
January 26, 2013 at 8:23AM   
cyndeelou
Thank you EMZC, I get what you're saying about the bookcases needing something behind the shelves. I really like that idea.

14th street - I LOVE the idea of a Rustic Coffee Table. LOVE! We do not have much other rustic going on in the kitchen/dining (besides the dining wallpaper) - do you think that's okay to have the rustic in the coffee table?

The painting is actually very blue/gray and the other blues in the ottoman are more teal. Do you think it competes?
January 26, 2013 at 8:30AM   
14thstreet
I think a rustic coffee table would add interesting texture to that area and would work with your home design as long as the lines were clean and straight, with no chunky or exposed hardware on it. You already have a lot of expresso colored furnishings and built-ins, so this would be nice to break it up. If you do a side table, I wouldn't choose a piece from the same "set" as the coffee table. Something like a round would be fun. On a side note - I love the wall paper in your dining room!

I didn't notice the color variation from the painting to the ottomans...It would probably be something you'd have to determine in person. Overall, I think the scale of that piece works very well.

Floor-to-ceiling curtain panels, similar style to those shown in the first photo I posted previously, would also cozy up your space and be an opportunity to add color or texture.
January 26, 2013 at 9:18AM   
nikitasmom
Even over the fireplace I would think watching tv would be uncomfortable without moving furniture. Maybe you could use an articulating tv mount in the bookcase and bring the tv to you. Something like this http://www.dataflex-int.com/en/catalog/av-solutions/tvmotions/tvmotions-bracket-500/54.500
January 26, 2013 at 10:01AM   
marewalker7
Love the fireplace, picture and furniture. The bookshelves look out of place. Maybe lighten them some. If you don't watch TV that much, mounting it on a moveable arm to view would solve your problems and just tuck away when not watching. Nice room.
January 26, 2013 at 2:21PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Great taste in room designs. Love what you've done! TV is great above fireplace. Elininate art, although I like it. From view facing the fireplace, keep one sofa on the right. Move other sofa at 90 degree angle (directly facing the fireplace) and lined up on center to create an L-shape seating group. At least one main sofa should face F.P. and TV. Place a sofa table behind.

Two ottomans for coffee table with 2 matching trays or .... move ottomans closer to F.P. for added guest seating and add a coffee table centered to L-shape grouping. End table at area where sofa corners meet. Add a lamp if possible on this table. Add end tables near sofa arms where you can.

Move carpet so that ottomans rest on it if it is large enough to place the entire grouping on the carpet.

Purchase a terrific chair in a solid or print. Place at left side of grouping. Add an end table close to right or left side of arm of chair if space permits.

Fireplace wall area - construct a plant-on unit to brace TV ( just large enough to mount) and attach directly to the existing mantle, to hold the weight of the TV. This will prevent repair of stonework for the move-down and allow the TV to be lower for much more comfortable viewing.

Add tile or stone in the style and color of your choice to create a border for the fireplace. Same width dimension as the existing mantle.

My drawing is a sketch idea that may help for the vision.
1. Cedar Lane Reverse the grouping.
2. Family Room
Sketch proposal - Elininate art, add TV and tile surround, paint bookcase backs
January 26, 2013 at 4:12PM   
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
i would not paint the shelves but brighten them up with some decor pieces( pic frames,vases,figurines etc..)
January 26, 2013 at 4:26PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Keep bookcase items simple with some empty space. Too many items look like clutter. Mix it up with a few personal photos. Place your treasures and momentos. Add items that mimick colors wanted in the room.

January 26, 2013 at 4:29PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
I'm sorry, I forgot to say that the painted bookcases are too strong a color but lighter colors were what I had in mind.
January 26, 2013 at 4:31PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Painting the bookcase backs with a soft, light color, will create less visual weight in that space and also blend with the overall feeling of the home that is light, airy and sophisticated.
January 26, 2013 at 4:38PM     
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I love your home! Great furniture, accent colours and layout!
I would not change the art above the fireplace - I think it goes quite nicely.
I've attached a picture that shows the TV in a bookcase.
It also has ottomans as coffee table which would work in your home.
As mentioned above decorating bookcases is a matter of mixing accessories and books - not filling up the spaces with either.
As you like thrift store hunting ( me too!) you can find some unique pieces in the colours you've got in your ottoman.
Have fun and good luck!

January 26, 2013 at 6:12PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
I love love the ottomans. Continue to use them as your color inspiration for the room. You can introduce lights and darks from the same color palettes. Good Job!
January 26, 2013 at 7:01PM     
cyndeelou
14th street - I think floor to ceiling curtains would be fabulous...but expensive! Those will likely have to wait a year before we can get those, but I love the idea of adding that texture and softness to the room. Thanks for the direction on the lines of the coffee table. I agree wholeheartedly.

Nikita'smom - we hadn't thought of this and when I mentioned it to my husband, he liked the idea as well! I think that's likely the direction we'll be going - thank you!

Thank you, Mare! I'm wondering how some wallpaper on the bookshelves would look? I think I may have to try it out!!! Love the idea
January 26, 2013 at 7:53PM     
cyndeelou
14th street - I think floor to ceiling curtains would be fabulous...but expensive! Those will likely have to wait a year before we can get those, but I love the idea of adding that texture and softness to the room. Thanks for the direction on the lines of the coffee table. I agree wholeheartedly.

Nikita'smom - we hadn't thought of this and when I mentioned it to my husband, he liked the idea as well! I think that's likely the direction we'll be going - thank you!

Thank you, Mare! I'm wondering how some wallpaper on the bookshelves would look? I think I may have to try it out!!! Love the idea
January 26, 2013 at 7:54PM   
cyndeelou

LB Interiors - WOW! Thank you so much for your detailed description. I so appreciate the time you took out of your day to draw out your idea and to describe to me your thoughts. THANK YOU! Unfortunately, since we just built the home, I think to do some extra stonework might be a little out of our desire right now :). Love the idea of painting or wallpapering the background of the bookcases, though. Brilliant! I think that would really make a difference!!! I also love the idea of the one chair ina fabulous pattern or color - we're thinking an orange chair? And yes - the carpet is big enough to accommodate the entire setting.

Thank you, Nadia! Definitely trying to lighten up the bookcases!!!

WElcome Home Designs - thank you for your insight! We're definitely leaning toward keeping the TV in the bookcases. Thanks for the design direction with decorating them - so helpful!

Thanks, LB - that's a great idea to keep the ottomans for my inspiration. They are my favorite pieces (besides the wallpaper ;) ) in the entire area!!!

You guys are really super...thank you!!!!
January 26, 2013 at 7:54PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
You're welcome. You've done such a great job already, I'm sure you won't have a problem. Keep us posted with your progress. Thanks
January 26, 2013 at 9:18PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
I'm sorry, Welcome Home. I didn't read al the way through bfore I posted. Wow, this Houzz stuff takes a lot of time. You had already mentioned the ottomans for coffee table.
January 26, 2013 at 9:23PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
OMG, sorry to emcz also. I hadn't read all the comments. I apologize.
January 26, 2013 at 9:27PM   
dunblak
Great potential here...assume leather/stone/horses is part of the casual/sophisticated/masculine look you want...i like it...add some drapes in a neutral, nubby fabric, raw silk or burlap, depending on your budget, and consider a collection of earthy hand-thrown pottery, rocks and minerals, or small, colorful paintings to mix in with your books...do one unexpected thing, like a tree trunk or an antique crate for a side table to add some interest and character.
January 27, 2013 at 9:11AM   
cyndeelou
What about this fabric as the background on the shelves? It's from curtains in our old bedroom and we're no longer using them, so I would LOVE to be able to repurpose them...and I think it looks good, but I want the opinion of real designers!
January 28, 2013 at 8:44PM   
cyndeelou
Full view
January 28, 2013 at 8:50PM   
PRO
Curb Appeal Renovations
I think you should try mirrors in the back of your bookcases. Don't do the fabric.
January 28, 2013 at 8:51PM   
cyndeelou
And just to clarify (hopefully y'all know this), the fabric will go all the way behind the shelves and will be taut - hopefully looking like wallpaper.
January 28, 2013 at 8:53PM   
cyndeelou
Thank you, Curb Appeal - why do you think I should steer away from fabric and go to mirrors?
January 28, 2013 at 8:56PM   
dunblak
taut...and it will soften the room...but I would think about real books you want to read and a collection you care about.
January 28, 2013 at 9:02PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
I agree with Curb Appeal. I think the THAT fabric choice does not make much of a statement. The pattern is way too small. No one would see the pattern from a distance. Not enough contrast in the colors in the pattern either. If you want a fabric on the bookcases, choose a bold large pattern. I'd go with a multi to work with the ottomans and add color to that side of the room. Mirrors still look nice too.
Fabric ideas below --- Wallpaper like this pattern is great and easier to apply.

January 29, 2013 at 11:40PM   
thislittlehouse
I like the fabric because it is subtle - it would lighten up the bookshelves without dominating - let the books and accessories do the talking!

I'm glad you've decided not to put the tv above the fireplace. I think the art is great, and once you start to play with the shelving this will be a gorgeous room, filled with layers of detail and warmth.

Start by adding in piles of books - some stacked horizontally, some lined up properly, some with an ornament on top, or picture / photo frames tucked in beside them. You can fill the shelves as much or as little as you like - some shelves you may leave almost completely empty to really show off a particular item, whereas others might be jam packed with your favorite books or magazines.

:) Elise
January 30, 2013 at 3:11AM   
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I would not recommend changing the bookcases. Because they are dark your fireplace stands out- which it is supposed to do. If you lighten up the bookcases your eye will no longer focus on the fireplace.
I would concentrate on adding accessories and arranging your books ( as mentioned by others).
You will find that these items will "brighten" your bookcases.
Browse through the living room photos on Houzz.
There are many bookcases like yours.
Good luck!
Make sure you post some after pics!
January 30, 2013 at 9:44AM   
Christine Lema
Shelves look nice with books in groupings and arranged in different directions. Find some more accessories in your favorite accent color. Things on shelves in different heights are more interesting too. Here's some photos of some nicely decorated shelves. You have a very pretty space!

January 30, 2013 at 10:09AM