Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas/advice to finish kitchen at summer cottage
Elaine Mac
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Looking for ideas to complete last summer's reno. Here's what was done... retained original colour scheme - yellow walls, cornflower blue accents. Replaced almond euro style cabinet doors/drawer fronts with white doors , new hardware and crown moulding. Added new row of cupboards above fridge and stove. Replaced kitchen vinyl and LR carpet (one area) with 'savannah oak' laminate floor throughout. My fridge was relatively new, so I opted to stay with white appliances (new stove and dishwasher). Laminate counter top is grey/taupe with flecks of blue, yellow, orange, beige.
I'm seeking inexpensive ideas / suggestions for:
1) backsplash... 2) renewing table/seating area - I've been considering getting rid of my vintage oak pedestal table (which I cover with table cloth) and going with an island with storage and seating - there's not alot of space. I've been considering getting rid of my vintage oak pedestal table (which I cover with table cloth) and going with an island with storage and seating. Alternatively, it has been suggested to keep the table, refinish /paint in a funky colour/ finish (chalk paint?) to tie in with everything. Maybe new chairs? On the wall opposite fridge and stove I have a vintage buffet/cabinet. (pictures on wall aren't centered since I moved the white cabinet to that wall - have to re-arrange...). I I went the table route...I could re-do it in same finish as the table. Ideas?? Thanks for any suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carole
love the bleu vintage cabinet,maybe glasstiles for the splashback, mix 4 colors from the palette,and for the dark brown cabinet sand the wood,then finish it with linseedoil,this gives a subtle colorchange and is very easy to apply,maybe you can do the same with the table?(could you post a picyure of the table without the cloth?then paint the wall above the units in white and leave the rest??maybe a roman blind for the window that would make it more contempary
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 9:15AM
Elaine Mac
Thanks Carole. I like all your suggestions. Roman blind would help. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the bare table on hand and usually don't start to go there til April. If I do take a drive before then I'll definitely post a pic. Thanks.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 9:27AM
carole
oke,would it be like this one,i think,was just wondering if there are lots of ridges,as that would make sanding it much harder and then you might be happier just getting another table...it is do-able,will post a pic of mine next see what you think
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 9:54AM
ccwatters
Darling cottage kitchen, absolutely LOVE that blue cabinet....and your wood sideboard too! The changes you made look great!

For a backspash, I would go with basic white subway tiles for some simplicity, with gray grout to give them a softer more vintage look.

You could go either way with your table. It would look great painted white with the chairs painted a different color (maybe a very soft coatal green). But you could also opt for a "small" island which would give you additional storage. An island, however, may eliminate some of your seating as you need about 2' linear counterspace per seat for space, and I don't think your kitchen will accomodate that while allowing adequate space between island and perimeter.

At the risk of overstepping, here are a few other suggestions:
To make it easier on the eyes to take in all of your kitchen's natural charm, I would suggest taking everything down from on top of the cabinets, along with the tinier pieces/prints from your walls. You have so many nick-nacks on the surfaces and items on the walls that it is challenging to focus on the kitchen's inherent charm (white cabinets, cup pull hardware, vintage pieces, "wood" floor, etc.). I would take down everything on the wall with your sideboard except the two larger blue-framed prints (centered above the sideboard) and maybe the hooks. If you need the white pieces next to the sideboard for storage, keep them. Otherwise, I would remove them and let the chair sit on one side of the sideboard and the hooks on the wall on the other. You could also leave the blue wall cabinet above the chair if you did this.
A few things out on counters or hanging on the oven door / hooks is "cottagey", but too much risks the charm being lost a little.

That's just my personal opinion, definitely go with whatever makes you "feel good" in the space. What a great retreat you have!
3 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:01AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It looks great so far. I would however not paint the oak table unless it is damaged beyond repair. Formby's or Old English etc. Will have products that will renew the finish. It will add so much more than just being painted.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:07AM
carole
depends very much on the feet of these tables,a lionsfeet yes,that has some age to it,the others are mostly 70/80 reproductions,but a good point,linseedoil is a naturel product and less shiny than most finishes and it does not close the wood just feeds it so you can always restore it or paint it
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:38AM
lauhan
The first three things I saw:
1) reduce the clutter- it is the first thing that caught my eye
2) change the window treatment - a classy roman shade would look great here
3) change the ceiling fan - I picture a sleek white fan

Love the blue cabinet and your choice of colors. Beautiful.
3 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:06AM
Elaine Mac
The table is smooth - no ridges either around table surface or on the pedestal as your pic shows Carole. Interiors Intl - there's no significant damage other than many years of stains/wear on top, thus the table cloth. Sanding and oiling might be the ticket! CC - thanks for your suggestions also. I know that I've got LOTS of 'kitsch' all over the place - minimizing is always a challenge, but will be on my summer project list. thx.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:21AM
Anita Bloom
I just finished four chalk paint projects and recommend it highly. A soft shade of yellow on the table and chairs would be lovely,
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 11:25AM
lessismoore
Elaine Mac - I looked at your idea book and think we have similar taste in retro kitchens :-) Here is what we did for the backsplash.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 11:28AM
flgrandma
I think a round table says country kitchen much more than an island/bar. I love this room, it's so homey and just looks very inviting. This is the place to go cute and old fashioned. I would paint the chairs and table country colors. As you know, the wall with the brown cabinet needs to be redone. If you decide the paint that cabinet maybe paint it and the chairs the same country color and the table another - neither to match your blue cabinet. I think the idea is that in old kitchens additions are made over the year and don't all match. I'm sure that back in the day on a farm the kitchen was painted with left over outdoor paint (barns are more important).
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 11:40AM
Elaine Mac
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - they are appreciated and will be taken into consideration when my plan comes to fruition. Based on your input, I have scrapped the island idea and will definitely proceed to renew/restore the vintage wood pieces. Good ideas for back splash too. New window covering and ceiling fan were definitely on the list, just hadn't made it to the top! : )

One last question...I like the idea of painting the big wall behind wood cabinet a different colour - I'm just not sure what colour to tie in everything. Suggestions? THANKS!
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 11:05AM
carole
since it will be just one wall,which i think is a good choice,a darker shade of any of the colors you already have or a white with a hint of the color you choose,but personaly i 'd go darker,not to much though,ill you send in photoos later on,would be nice to see how it turnes out..
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 11:38AM
ccwatters
I would personally leave it a yellow, just a paler one. I think the yellow is happy and feels like a cottage. If you end up putting up a backsplash, you are going to lose all that yellow that the backsplash will cover up.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 12:12PM
Elaine Mac
Thanks Carole and CC. Yes...give me a few months and I"ll post the 'after' pix. thx.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 12:35PM
ruthmand
Do you really need a backsplash? The yellow looks so nice and fresh. Personally, I think backsplashes are way overdone. No island, and keep the kitchen all the same color. It's a cottage - keep it simple.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 12:56PM
Elaine Mac
Yeah...maybe you're right Ruth....I've got some gaps between counter and wall, so maybe a good grey grout would suffice...
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:35PM
suzie1319
I totally agree with Ruthmand - a backsplash is not necessary. The colours look great for a cottage.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 6:57PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Any type of fabric blind over a sink is not a good idea you run the risk of splash ups and that might damage the fabric. However a valance over a blind can work great I would recommend a white Fauxwood blind with a Roman valance over the top.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/horizontal-blinds/faux-wood-blinds.html
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 6:37AM
Elaine Mac
Thanks ruth and suzie. Just need to grout my gaps....
blindsdirect...actually I already have a blind under the valance. The style of your example is nice. thx.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 1:16PM
marmar59
Now that it's April here are pix of my 'naked' oak table. You can see why I've kept it under a table cloth! Is this considered damaged beyond repair? Is sanding and linseed oil still a possibility? I am leaning towards an interesting chalk paint finish. I've also been looking at fabric for a roman valance or a 'no sew' roman shade from mini blinds - window is high enough that splash ups aren't a problem. Opinions? Love to hear from you again! Thanks ...! E.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 6:58PM
Elaine Mac
Elaine back...looking forward to your comments..
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 7:05PM
donnasd
I think a beadboard backsplash would be perfect. Paint it the same color that's there now. It will add a little interest & texture & look great in your country kitchen!
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 7:13PM
Elaine Mac
See pix on marmar59 above...Now that it's April here are pix of my 'naked' oak table. You can see why I've kept it under a table cloth! Is this considered damaged beyond repair? Is sanding and linseed oil still a possibility? I am leaning towards an interesting chalk paint finish. I've also been looking at fabric for a roman valance or a 'no sew' roman shade from mini blinds - window is high enough that splash ups aren't a problem. Opinions? Love to hear from you again! Thanks ...! E.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 7:26PM
mamao1956
The leaf looks like it has a spilt in the wood? And it doesn't seem to approximate well at the edges, or is that just the angle of the photo? If those 2 things are true, I think you would be better off with something different. I do love your kitchen overall.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 7:45PM
Elaine Mac
You're right mamao...there could be a small split - I will have to examine it closer when I am there next. With the tablecloth it's never been an issue. It is an old table - if I were to re-do it I would have my 'handy' woodworking friends (god love 'em) do some re-jigging (?) to make the leaf flush with the table. The good news is there's a second leaf, it's in much better condition and probably fits better too. Thanks!
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 8:25PM
carole
like the chalkpaint,hope you can get the table"fixed-up",then it could look like this one in the picture,or are you wanting a color for the table or the cabinet? and the pict of my table and chairs i promised before,
(please excuse the dust),
2 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 12:37AM
mamao1956
If the other leaf fits & is in good condition then use the table!! I will leave the type of finish to the experts on this site, but I loved your table cloth too:)
0 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 6:00AM
Elaine Mac
Thanks mamao1956! Thanks also Carole - I like the painted table, yet am torn about keeping it real wood too! Yours looks lovely. Have seen some really beautiful chalk painted pieces - my imagination is running...! Decisions, decisions!! : )
1 Like   April 19, 2013 at 7:24PM
Ann
I also like the idea of beadboard painted the same color as walls for backsplash. I would also remove everything from above the cabinets and leave that space empty.
1 Like   April 19, 2013 at 7:35PM
Elaine Mac
Thanks Ann...yes, clearing top of cabinets is on 'to do' list.
0 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 8:45PM
studio10001
Your leaf looks to be pine; is the other leaf the same?
0 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 9:06PM
Patricia Kent
I have a bead board back splash and LOVE the look. Hint: put a 3-4 inch plain board at base just above the counter so you have a plain surface to wipe and not all those grooves to catch spills and crumbs. A cleaner look and cleaner reality. Simplify the wall with the buffet.
1 Like   April 19, 2013 at 9:12PM
PRO
Wyland Interior Design Center
Here is one of my kitchen projects photos where I have used beadboard on the backsplash. Notice that I also added a the beadboard on the back panel of island painted in the same green color. For more backsplash ideas visit my Houzz page where I have one album dedicated to backsplash tile ideas.
0 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 9:49PM
aimran
Nice kitchen! Just need to let go of the old window treatment.. Cabinet hardware update, perhaps? Definitely a plainer vibrant back splash.. And the dining chairs are traditional, you could change em too..
0 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 10:07PM
donnasd
I agree with Patricia Kent about putting a (horizontal) board at base of beadboard; it will help catch the crumbs & give a finished look to the backsplash.
I also believe that it might be a good idea to consult with a furniture refinisher about your table. I don't know if your budget is a consideration or not. If you do use the services of a professional furniture refinisher, I think it would be money well spent. I feel it would be nice to keep it in a medium- toned wood stain; then it would show up well against your light color paint, cabinets & floor. You have other painted surfaces here- let your wood table shine!
0 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 11:18PM
PRO
OnePlan
I think it looks just lovely as it is !!! Just what I would like to see at a country cottage !!! Beautiful !! Great job Elaine.
0 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 12:42AM