Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help with Kitchen
Tina Tyminski_Jones
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I love style of my cabinets but not color, a pickled pine. I'd like a creamy distressed white. Afraid I'll ruin if I paint them, but... Also, hard wood floors are too red. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
I like your idea of updating the colour of cabs rather than a full "gut and replace". The style of your kitchen would do very well with distressed white. I will leave the designers to tell you how and with what colours.

A beautiful match to the cabinets would be a "distressed" white floor...like a pickled oak or white stained hardwood. A white cork floor would do very well in this space...depending on the tones you go with in your cabinets

You have a lot of colour choices available to you...simply look to the counter tops to find a complimentary colour for your floor. You can go with anything from an "off white" right down to a reclaimed oak, ashwood, etc.

Or, a stone floor .... or more to the point, a Stone-Cork floor would look amazing...especially with the distressed white.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:35AM
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
i think you are asking for trouble! To paint the cabinets yourself- it is a no-no! has to be done by professionals($$$$), you can restain the floors if they bother you that much but then you have to really look for the right colour becuase of the shade of the island, it looks good actually! may be you can put couple of light colour small carpets or a runner on your dark floor???
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 9:41AM
Tina Tyminski_Jones
Yikes, Nadia...that very thought has crossed my mind...I'm asking for trouble. I've considered sanding these "hand scraped" wood floors and staining more of a chocolate brown...to tone down the red...but afraid I'm asking for trouble there as well.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 9:44AM
michigammemom
Tina, painting your heavily embellished cabinets is definitely not a DIY project. You might consider having a professional change just the island color for an updated look. I like the idea of this creamy white or perhaps even a cornflower blue with glaze.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:48AM
PRO
Eagledzines
Is this the look you are looking for? These are all Habersham Cabinetry.
The floors look to be Hickory. The first kitchen cabinets are distressed. Second is green with cream and a beautiful hand drawing on the range hood. Glass cabinets appear to match the island on the inside. Third is white and what looks to be a black glaze and another beautiful hand painting on the range hood. Interior of glass cabinets appears to be black. I love the chandelier.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:52AM
PRO
Eagledzines
Unless you are really handy, I would recommend just having the section of the wall showing where the stove is (Range hood and one cabinet on each side and the matching cabinets underneath) done by a professional if that's all you can afford and leave the rest. Use A complimentary or contrasting color. Same for the floor, have it done by a pro unless you are really handy. If there are any pieces of flooring around, take it to a paint shop that will mix stains for you and then try it against the colors you choose for the kitchen.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:04AM
PRO
Dear Tina! there is nothing worse then badly done floors! Hire the right people - don't do it yiurself!
Btw, were they stained or prefinished ( if it is floating floors i would not even go there)
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:15AM
shopcocacola
I painted my pickeled cabinets myself and then done an umber glaze from Lowes....try a discreet spot....its only paint is my saying......that was 8 years ago and I've never regretted it and we are getting ready to remodel and I'm going to miss my colors:( we are doing a red mahogony color on our new kitchen and I'm a lil scared to go darker buttttt thats what my hubby likes and I do get my complete new kitchen) Good luck!! Go to somewhere like a nice paint store in your area? Sherwin Williams and go when they are not too busy they can have some time with ya and ask all the questions you want....
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 10:25AM
Tina Tyminski_Jones
Love those pictures...yes, maybe painting the "red" island would help to tone the floors. I wish I had an extra piece of floor to use as a sample board...I do not. I like the color of the floors in your pics.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:35AM
Tina Tyminski_Jones
oh, boy, Nadia...I hear you. Even though these floors are not my taste, they beat badly done floors. They are prefinished too..maybe I'm better off with just putting in floors I like. Shopcocacola, if you are thinking dark floors, I'd realllllly think. They literally show every speck of lint, water drop. Total pain to keep clean.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:39AM
PRO
what bother you the most the floors or cabinets? would you be OK if you'd try to do your new floors in the colours of the cabinets?then your island will pop out as an ISLAND:))) just a suggestion, i really want you to find a right solution.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:49AM
PRO
on the other hand, your floors were done before the cabinets were installed, to replace them??? ouch!! not an easy task
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:52AM
Tina Tyminski_Jones
boy, you read my mind, Nadia, lol. This is a resale and I don't know if floors were done after cabinets...and so many intricate cutouts at cabinet base that I'm afraid to have someone install new for fear they'd mess up the cut outs...like you said, nothing worse than badly done floors. One other thought I had is to paint island a distressed chocolate brown...it'll stil be dark, but not red... maybe that would help to tone down the reddish floors. There is a great pic. on houzz of a distressed black island...that'd be a hair too dark for my kitchen, but chocolate would blend better...it's on my FB uploads so I can't figure how to attach it. Counter has gorgeous red geraniums on it.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:19AM
PRO
save them on your desk top and then poste'em, but if you want to repaint the island you can also go with a light solid colour :)
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:39AM
PRO
Eagledzines
Not all floors go under the cabinets like you may think. It saves money to lay a section of plywood under where the cabinets are going to go and then slide the floor 1/2"-1" under the cabinet. If there is a band of molding at the bottom of the toe kick, it often is put there to hide any holes left where the flooring doesn't quite go all the way under the cabinet. It is called a 'quarter round molding' because it is shaped like a quarter of circle, cut the long the way. It may have been placed there for looks however. To find out, remove it and see if you see any gaps. Then you will know.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 11:40AM
PRO
i might be wrong but i don't see any 1/4 round - i think it is a part of the cabinet itself, however it's worth to take a look @ that
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 11:47AM
PRO
Eagledzines
It would only be about 3/4" high normally. However, instead of a 1/4" round they may have used another decorative board that they probably milled out themselves. If so, it would be shorter than the toe kick (which is about 4") and would not be a flat board but would look somewhat like a piece of flat molding. This would serve the same purpose.
I'm not talking about the island right now. That has a baseboard around it and is probably moveable unless it's wired to electricity and then you would need an electrician.
If the flooring was installed to just sneak under the cabinets, you should be able to have it replaced fairly easy.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 12:31PM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
I agree with Creation Nadia Interior Designs on most everything. I'd add investigate off Houzz. Get quotes on the projects and move forward. Hire the right people but negotiate on what you absolutely have to have done. If you look around long enough, you'll find what you want with references at a reasonable price versus trying to attempt difficult projects on your own and winding up with something worse that it currently is.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 12:42PM
hooverwoods
Tina: I saw you made a post on my posting to agree with a decorator this morning commenting on my kitchen. You are getting a lot of good input. I also agree with Nadia. She is also trying to save you a lot of rehab frustration. You cabinets look well made and probably expensive. My first impression was the kitchen seemed a little too busy. Your cabinets themselves are detailed and the counters are beautiful - they are thick and bull nosed so very expensive also, but busy in design. So what do you change? I would definitely paint the island because the different cabinet color adds to the busyness and if it is in your budget hire someone to paint the cabinets a lighter color to contrast the counters a little and let the counter tops stand out. I would leave the floors until after that to see if you like the lighter cabinets with them. Light colored runners would draw away from the red in the floors. Great Kitchen! Good Luck!
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 1:40PM
Angela Esparza
Love your kitchen! I think if you have your cabinets professionally resurfaced in the antique white the floors would not bother you. They would compliment each other better.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 1:42PM
Tina Tyminski_Jones
Hooverwoods, you are right. Previous owner spent about 100K to remodel this kitchen. It is beautiful but a bit busy for my taste...even the granite is busy...but yes, thichkkkkkkk bull nose and would be so wasteful to replace. Angela, I've often thought that too: if the cabinets were white-ish, it may counteract the red floor. Hard part is 1) cost of painting such intricate cabinetry would be crazy and 2) hard to know if you will like someones work...sometimes the devil you know...
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 1:47PM
Angela Esparza
I know this differs from your .layout but color scheme is working with the antique white and darker floors. I have no idea how much it would be to resurface them but you don't need a gut.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 1:56PM
MAlps
Beautiful elegant kitchen! I say LEAVE IT! Better safe than sorry
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 3:13PM
carbary
Hand knotted throw rugs really could tie it all together and add some pizazz.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 4:43PM
PRO
STUDIO MB
Your cabinets either have a factory finish on them or they have a heavy duty conversion varnish. If you do an onsite paint job you will always have to contend with chipping. I would leave them it looks great the way they are.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 4:46PM
Tina Tyminski_Jones
Maria, they do have tiny chips..ugh. Not factory finish. Previous owner had samples done for weeks (or more, per her) to get color she wanted. I will just find a beige paint to touch up tiny spots myself. I did have the guy who "fauxed" my steel garage door stain the island a dark, dark brown.. it definitely tones down the red in the floors in that area.... I like the comment about hand knotted rugs....or maybe sisal... I think if I do some decorating tweaks, I'll be fine. I've looked at lotttttts of resales lately and see nothing I care for even remotely as much as this resale I bought in 2010. Sometimes, the devil you know....
1 Like   March 12, 2013 at 7:09PM