Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Repaint chandelier?
kdemond
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm wondering if I should paint this chandelier and maybe add some crystals? I just painted the dining room the gray color in the background. All of the other chandeliers throughout my house are the oiled bronze color.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Depending on the decor a high gloss white or a bright color like red would be cool. Black is always classic. You could also paint the crystals with gives it a contemporary feel.
January 26, 2013 at 10:40AM     
larry1333
First I think you should get rid of the feathers. Then you should paint it a black , and have crystals on it. Or. Maybe a dark blue, with crystals.
January 26, 2013 at 10:46AM     
fatar1
My husband painted a chandelier for me, and it came out beautiful! I was skeptical at first, but he was right! He used a gloss spray paint.
January 26, 2013 at 10:48AM     
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
To add crystals to a chandelier that didn't come with any crystals on it can be quite a challenge, there are no holes to hang them off of! There is one company that makes crystals of all types that have tiny little powerful magnets on them, check out www.magtrim.com
January 26, 2013 at 11:00AM     
PRO
Linda
I have had very good luck with spray painting light fixtures. My favorite is the American Accents dark patina base coat. It is a brown metallic (too light for oil rubbed bronze though) which is very forgiving if your technique isn't perfect.

Take a very small drill bit designed for metal and try drilling into the ends of the leaves about 1/4 inch from the end. You may need to find a way to place something hard behind the surface so that the metal piece doesn't "walk" when you try to put a hole in it

You may wish to paint the socket cover tubes in a dark brown or black. You can also replace the pieces underneath each bulb with a crystal version. I know the glass ones are called bobeches, but I don't know if that term also applies to metal. However, by the time you get a lot of crystals added to this chandelier, it might be cheaper to buy a new one which is exactly what you want...you'll have to comparison shop to figure this one
January 26, 2013 at 5:43PM     
kdemond
I think what I'd like to try is some chalk paint in a dark brown and then distress it a little. No crystals. So I think I will have to paint it with a brush or sponge and NOT spraypaint.
January 26, 2013 at 6:17PM   
loriech
I've admired similar chandeliers in an oiled bronze finish, with the feathers painted in black. Very rich looking.
April 10, 2013 at 6:33PM   
angela428
It is a pretty chandelier, but if you have many and this room is looking transitional for 300+ you can find a new lamp. By the time you purchase and paint you might have an entirely different look and it might be fun! Take a peek at Lamps.com or Bellacor.co, and e bay you never know what treasure you might find. But the color is off.
Also, a simple giant white shade is very beautiful and simple.
In Feng shui please correct me if I am wrong the guest sits with the best view and the light should show off the food since you are there to eat and see your beautiful food, table and company. I always like remembering that in dining rooms. It seems warming to your soul. Enjoy lovely color and paint,
If you do put a chandelier do you have a good size medallion?
Ms. camilla
April 10, 2013 at 6:43PM