powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Time For an Update Wallpaper Stay or Go ??
movethisnotthat
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is a very small dining room, there is only room for table and chairs.
What should go, what should stay? What are your thoughts on wall paper?
The light is new.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
littlemsclimber
Ditch the wallpaper, it is making the whole room feel drab, and smaller, I would do a neutral color on the wall, with a dark, simple table and a fun, punchy rug. Then I would get a very dramatic chandelier. I would also add darker curtains too, along with a slightly bigger mirror then the current one, bigger mirror makes the room feel bigger. Also, I don't think you need the shelf, it is not holding much now. I would keep the big plant, that is fine, and the candlesticks.
January 26, 2013 at 11:14AM     
mmilos
Remove wall paper and put up new wall paper if you like, or paint. Remove fake ficus tree, small shelf and mirror. Get a narrow buffet table for the wall and hang a larger mirror over it.
January 26, 2013 at 11:16AM     
Molly
something like this? [houzz=
]
January 26, 2013 at 11:17AM     
michigammemom
Your oak pedestal table and chairs have a country/casual style, whereas your wallpaper and glass shelf are more traditional and formal. I would also suggest removing the wallpaper in favor of a light neutral paint as well as accessories and lighting similar to this charming example.
January 26, 2013 at 11:19AM     
PRO
Design & Decor By Shelley
I am not a big fan of wallpaper however, the new styles they have currently are quite beautiful. Since you have such a small space to deal with here I would suggest removing the paper and painting the walls. Is this room shared with another space? ie..living/family room? Try and co-ordinate your colour with other rooms..
Are you replacing the light fixture and/or the table? For instance if you replace the table, I would choose a darker wood like an espresso finish.
If you are painting it would be nice to have picture of kitchen/living space to help you with colour..
January 26, 2013 at 11:20AM     
feeny
I agree with michigamemom--the dining table and chairs are casual and the rest of the room should follow that lead. The walls would look so much nicer painted than wallpapered, and I'd take down all details that are fussy or formal and replace with simpler lines.
January 26, 2013 at 11:33AM     
movethisnotthat
hubby is getting a chuckle out of this, he is looking at the room right now, This room is opposite our living room with entry door in between them. The room colors coordinate beautifully with all the colors in our space, ties them all together, however we are getting rid of all the pinks/mauves. Gold undertones to all the wall colors from light to dark. Carpet is a camel color against dark hardwood floor. This is g.oing to be fun, Wonder how fast he will get this room done now? Keep your ideas coming please. I'll keep you posted
January 26, 2013 at 11:43AM     
marewalker7
The wall paper is too busy and seems to close the room in. The chandelier is awesome but it seems to clash with the country dining set. Depending on your tastes, a golden wall color would warm up the room. If you can't afford a new dining room set now, try painting it black to bring more of a contemporary feel to room.
January 26, 2013 at 12:40PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Fake tree? Out! Wall paper out! If you want to repaper pick a simpler pattern. It is much to busy for that small room.
January 26, 2013 at 12:44PM     
Jayme H.
Wallpaper should go...
January 26, 2013 at 12:48PM     
movethisnotthat
getting rid of the chairs, painting the table black to match table in foyer, (great idea), replacement chairs, fabric parson chairs, ??
January 26, 2013 at 12:54PM     
megmegmeg
Wallpaper should go...here's a tip on removal (just did it myself)...use small batches of half fabric softener and half very hot water, and use only a plastic scraper. The paper tiger tools to score the paper will damage the wall. This method was actually better than a steamer (used a steamer for part of it thinking it would be easier -it wasn't)
January 26, 2013 at 1:06PM     
flgrandma
I'll vote with everyone else. Remove the wallpaper. I think your table and chairs are OK depending on the style you want. If you're still going with country I'd keep this set. You might want to paint the chairs as in Canary Cottage photo above. If you're keeping the chandelier then the black chairs would tie in with that.

Concerning removing the wallpaper: I've used dishwasher detergent (dry not liquid) mixed with hot water. Just be careful no matter what method you use.

I think that your decor items seem too formal for the dining set.
January 26, 2013 at 1:22PM     
movethisnotthat
oh, paint the chairs leave the table ? should table be turned ? that's just an other idea . table is the same color as the wood work in the house. Wish I could change that too but not going to tackle that .
January 26, 2013 at 1:54PM   
marewalker7
Chandelier is just to contemporary for dining set. Does the center piece come out. Making the table more round shape might help. Maybe start with more tailored chair covers and see how it feels.
January 26, 2013 at 2:29PM     
marewalker7
First question if how the room to feel. Country, cottage, traditional, contemporary? From my experience it takes designer to do eclectic rooms. The wallpaper definite has a traditional style, table country, chandelier contemporary/moder. Too many styles going on. Not restful. What do you want for a feel when looking at the room and can it flow smoothly from the other rooms that you can see from that room.
January 26, 2013 at 2:39PM     
maryannes
The wallpaper must go! My dining room is small and had oak wainscoting on the bottom and a busy wallpaper on the top, both had to go. I was amazed at the results. Here are before and after pics of same window:
January 26, 2013 at 2:46PM     
movethisnotthat
kitchen has white cabinets, white marble subway backsplash ,white quartz countertop, dark hard wood floor, stainless appliances, rugs are traditional in black and ivory. Dining room needs to relate to the kitchen, but is not seen from the front entry. The entry walls are painted the color of golden french vanilla ice cream. Should that go in the dining room? oh the paper is now gone !!
January 26, 2013 at 3:57PM     
flgrandma
Yeah, the paper is gone. We're all celebrating! Before you start painting or re-papering, you really need to go back to marewalker7's comments. What style do you want in this room?
January 26, 2013 at 8:15PM   
realcalm
Golly, if those chairs were a thrift shop find, I'd say sure, paint them. (I love scraping and sanding and painting old chairs and making them beautiful!) But they're in perfectly lovely shape. I think that if you don't want them any more, find them a good home and buy others.
January 26, 2013 at 8:30PM     
realcalm
And yes, the wallpaper is pretty awful. I just painted a previously wallpapered room - as I started, it looked like I was doing something very very wrong, even though the wallpaper was horrible. It was only when the room was done and I had a picture up that everything fell into place. (So keep the faith!)
January 26, 2013 at 8:33PM     
mveasey
Another Yes here for letting the wallpaper go! You room will feel so much bigger without it or a different quieter pattern.
January 26, 2013 at 9:29PM     
mveasey
A few photos...
What style do you personally like?
Do you need all five chairs? Does the room get daily use?
January 26, 2013 at 10:05PM     
Keitha
I would say the wallpaper should have gone quite a while back but better late than never! Since the room is very small I suggest getting rid of the rug as well ... Keeping things to a minimum! The walls would look very sophisticated in a neutral grasscloth maybe a few shades darker than your existing carpet. If possible paint trim and any doors coming into the dining room a crisp white... Stained woodwork can make a room look dull and dated at times. Since space is an issue and if your budget allows, simple wide slat plantation shutters would be a nice window treatment solution The size of your chandelier looks to scale but has somewhat of an outdated feel.... Maybe paint the entire fixture with that hammered texture spray paint and get some interesting new shades or just paint those in a wide two-tone stripe pattern?? The table does need an update with some high back upholstered chairs . My final suggestion would be to buy 6. 24x24 framed mirrors and hang them where your existing shelf is.... Hanging.them close together, 3 on top and 3 below... A great look while visually expanding the room. Hope this gives you some food for thought... Have fun decorating!
January 26, 2013 at 10:10PM     
Darzy
It's all agreed...the wallpaper must go! If you like floral, I'd keep it to roman shade window treatments. I really like your new chandelier. I think I'd try just painting the table base and chairs an espresso color and leave the top natural (like this picture). If you don't like it...no biggie, you can sell for more anyway with a paint job. Then, four pretty prints on the dining wall. If this current wallpaper coordinates with the rest of your house, how about a deep lavender wall color? lately I've been "in" to that color. :)

January 26, 2013 at 10:40PM     
PRO
Shades IN Place
Two very common yet elegant options for dining rooms are Cafe shutters (half way) and sheers shades (Silhouette type) I have one of each attached for your to see
January 27, 2013 at 4:44AM     
Jean Tuck
i love the light green paint color and cream trim, the rnd table and tied spoke bavk chairs and the sutters! A happy special place to ejoy a great meal.
January 27, 2013 at 4:50AM     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
So far everyone is correct in their comments. The room looks dated and belonging to an older person. If you can i would start over and remove eveything. If the room is indeed as small as you say I would remove the chiars as they look to big with the round back. I would paint a color and match solid drapes to the walls and then just maybe a little trim on the leading edge. This monochromatic look will make the room feel larger. A large painting on the wall will also help increase the scale of the room. Chose a frame that will make the eye go out rather than to the center. A large mirror will achieve the same effect if it will reflect something nice. Maybe you can do both and they can be hung opposite each other. I like the idea of open back chairs that are a little slimmer like the ones in the post by shades in place above. So I guess my recommendation is to go monochromatic (any color you like because monchromatic does not have to be beige) with a splash of color on the wall. Go for it.
January 27, 2013 at 5:02AM     
movethisnotthat
wonderful comments are helping as we find our way, I've looked through 100's of pix on houzz in dining rooms, traditional is the style that fits us the most but with a twist. The wallpaper was put on about 7 yrs ago and taken from a book of "French Country" I love that look, it's casual yet elegant. BUT alas time to simplify, The light fixture is metal and glass it is really pretty in the real. I just don't know what to put with it, I like mirrors (great suggestions) , glass and a touch of wicker. Most of the colors in the house are very similar :caramel from light to dark, beige, black, white. touches of color here and there with art, pillows, rugs. We do have a round table and 6 chairs we could use, same goldenoak, should I try that?
I'll rotate the table to see how that looks to and post a picture. Thanks everyone !
January 27, 2013 at 6:13AM     
PRO
The golden oak may still date your room but give it a try as I am always fond of a round dining table.
January 27, 2013 at 6:22AM   
kidzmom3
waiting for pictures!
January 27, 2013 at 6:27AM   
movethisnotthat
in progress, here is the room with the table turned, paper gone, mirror (just for now) the room is 10.6 x 12. We will keep the table and chairs for now as it matches the stairway and other house trim. Just need to find a way to blend it all together. I'll try round table next picture
January 27, 2013 at 7:35AM     
movethisnotthat
another view
January 27, 2013 at 7:37AM     
sacapuntaslapioz
movethisnotthat, I looked at all your dining room ideas and none feature a table like the one you have. The furniture matching the trim IS the problem. you can keep either the table or the chairs, but both it screams country. The rug is too small.
[houzz=Parkdale House][houzz=Dining Room][houzz=My dining Room][houzz=Traditional Dining Room]
January 27, 2013 at 7:54AM     
Jayme H.
Looking a lot better so far! Good job!
January 27, 2013 at 8:01AM     
maryannes
Much better without the wallpaper. I would paint the windows and trim. It will be easier to update rooms without the wood. I'd love to see a photo of the stairs. Maybe you could paint the railings an leave the treads wood.
January 27, 2013 at 8:02AM   
Cathy Mills
I would paint the chairs, maybe a light butter color or light sage, and update that light, get away from the idea that everything has to MATCH. Your wood work does not have to match your furniture, nothing POPS in that room!
January 27, 2013 at 8:23AM   
movethisnotthat
maryannes I have thought of that too !
ALSO
There are other wood finishes in the house, so looking for a way to make this table work for now. We will be selling it, no doubt, it's 23 yrs old ! time to go !!! So paint it ! ? Black ?
January 27, 2013 at 8:40AM     
movethisnotthat
here's the round table, it's a work in progress...only the first steps to this new room.
January 27, 2013 at 8:44AM     
maryannes
The round is nice and you have the option of making it bigger with the leaf. Have you heard of Rustoleum cabinet transformations? It allows you to change the color of your wood with no sanding and no chemicals. It can be used on anything wood. I plan to use it on my oak cabinets but you could use it on your table.
www.Rustoleumtransformations.com
January 27, 2013 at 9:41AM     
marewalker7
Wow! What a difference just getting rid of the wallpaper. Contemporary traditional seems to be developing. Keep at it. Fun to see it transform.
January 27, 2013 at 10:27AM     
carole
looks better with the round table,not sure why you are worried about having the woodfinishes all the same,but i must admit it looks good in this room,agree that it needs a bigger rug,here are some i think would work in your room
January 27, 2013 at 10:54AM     
carole
how about something compleetly different on the wall? which look do you like more? paint your table leave the chairs or the other way around ?maybe these can help you decide
January 27, 2013 at 11:47AM   
Darzy
You can use your oak table/chairs. Just paint the chairs an espresso. (the finish of your chandy and mirror). Leaving the table top the oak color will keep it tied in with your trim in the house. I agree the rug isn't working. No rug may be just fine, after you paint the chairs.
January 27, 2013 at 11:56AM     
carole
sorry forgot to put these
January 27, 2013 at 12:05PM     
mamachers
I think the rug should go also. I would get a much larger mirror and a nice piece of artwork.
January 27, 2013 at 12:14PM     
movethisnotthat
trying again, moving this and that
January 27, 2013 at 12:19PM     
movethisnotthat
carole I love the picture with the white chairs !!! I just found another one on houzz with the same chairs, love them !!! Thanks tons !!!
January 27, 2013 at 12:21PM     
carole
those are nice chairs!!would you be willing to take out the rug and see how it looks then....and were you thinking of any windowdressing? and maybe a small sideboard or console?
January 27, 2013 at 12:26PM   
movethisnotthat
without the rug,
January 27, 2013 at 12:36PM     
movethisnotthat
we are thinking along the same ideas carole, too funny. I will be adding curtains as soon as I find the right thing. hubby says no to sideboard, there is just not enough room to walk around the table, but I will look for 2 or 3 more mirrors for that far wall or 3 big pieces of art (the mirror is alone there now to give hubby a visual)
January 27, 2013 at 12:42PM     
Anita Hawdur
Looking better with every step.
January 27, 2013 at 12:45PM   
Anita Hawdur
How about a floating shelf on the wall that has more space with a mirror over it? You can have nice candle sticks...something visually appealing on the shelf (like a mantel). I did this in my daughter's small dining room and it actually opened it up. I put a large piece of art work on another wall, long curtains.
January 27, 2013 at 12:52PM     
carole
here are some full lenght sheers,i've paired them with the rugs from before,could you tell me which one comes close to what you have in mind??
January 27, 2013 at 1:30PM   
carole
hope this is something like??i do find curtains the most difficult to choose....
January 27, 2013 at 1:33PM     
maryannes
Those chairs are much better!
January 27, 2013 at 1:40PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Considering your desires regarding your budget and style ....... Agree with everyone, no wallpaper. Paint the walls with one soft color, not too dark (light color makes room seem larger). Choose a color that you like and works with other rooms.

OR ... paint 2 soft colors of choice, in a stripe pattern. Each stripe to be approx 16" WIDE using a neutral and an accent color to complement the other rooms. This will widen the room. Requires more work but is effective. Updates the country style.

To update table & chairs - I see only 5 chairs, use only if the table is round. Place 4 chairs evenly around an oval shape. The 5th chair can be catycornered in a corner. The other corner of the room, Use a pedestal with a large vase with natural branches.

Table set - White paint for the chairs and pedestal of table, leave table top natural wood. White works with your white kitchen and table top works with your wood trim. This will give you a nice contrast to your carpet or a new colorful one bought later.Your open back chairs will not make the room feel heavy. I think black is too heavy for the furmiture in this room. Use black as color accents in frames and accessories. I agree with someone, table set is better placed now. No need to buy yet.

Table option - Maybe you could try and switch out the chairs between the two table sets? I still prefer no black furniture in the the oak table room.

Light fixture - add some colored ribbon (color of wall) or (country patterned ribbon) around the top and base of the lampshades. You could also tape off and spray paint the bands. Black iron on fixture will work with black accents in the room. This will also tie in your light fixture. No need to buy yet.

Shallow buffet or long (wide) glass shelf on the wall? The room is approx 10' x 12'. Keeps the room less crowded if you choose glass. You only need aprox 30" of space here for when a chair slides out and to miss the buffet or shelf ... if that space doesn't require traffic flow. Large colorful black framed artwork above buffet or glass shelf. Add accessories. I think you might have enough space. Not sure without measurements of table placement. P.S. The original mirror and shelf were hung too high. Maybe a future plan. Nothing to buy yet.

Moldings - leave natural wood, works with table top, other rooms and your style. No need to change.

Ideas were suggested with budget in mind.

Lola B's
fun on location Interior Makeovers by Annie OCallaghan
January 27, 2013 at 2:03PM     
nancysfinley36
Take down the wallpaper and pick a solid color you love (please not a neutral). I have a very similar kitchen table and I bought a glass top and change the tablecloth every few wks. You can then change up the look of the room from informal to more formal based on the fabric of tablecloth. I agree, get rid of fake tree, it takes up too much space and is a dust collector
January 27, 2013 at 2:06PM     
PRO
Budget Blinds
If you need some help with drapes and shades give us a call http://www.budgetblinds.com
January 27, 2013 at 2:08PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Just saw the new photos posted. I think the table set is a little sparse. Looks a little empty with so few chairs. I think you can use the space you have by adding more chairs.
January 27, 2013 at 2:08PM   
nikitasmom
I like all the changes you have made. These are my favorites when we get to see the room done. The chandelier still seems to be a bit too dark and heavy for the lighter furniture. Perhaps a tablecloth with a dark runner or chair covers. http://www.amazon.com/Sure-Fit-Stretch-Dinning-Slipcover/dp/B002VAKZJI/ref=pd_sim_hg_5
January 27, 2013 at 2:17PM   
Darzy
Love LB Interiors large horizontal stripe for walls idea!
January 27, 2013 at 2:18PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks Darzy. The stripes will add a new update and fresh take on the outdated feel of the room.
January 27, 2013 at 2:21PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
If you use the mirror that you have, vertically, add some black framed colorful artwork on each side, each the same size, but slightly less than the length of the mirror. You could also place the mirror horizontally and add the 2 brackets from your original shelf on each side with 2 colorful vases. Nothing in them. They should be at least 14"-16" tall.
January 27, 2013 at 2:41PM   
movethisnotthat
many of your ideas are coming full circle to what I had in the room to begin with, I do have a lovely glass shelf that was on the wall behind the table. I do have 6 chairs (I was just trying to give a "feel" for the room, as I'm not done with it at all. This is just the beginning, everyone is so helpful !! The room will be painted a golden french vanilla ice cream color to go with the other rooms. I'm liking the idea of the white furniture but still deciding on the black since I have other black furniture. This is a process for sure. thanks again !!
January 27, 2013 at 3:07PM   
sacapuntaslapioz
why hang a mirror to reflect a wall? hang a work of art, hang pictures that mean something. chairs are beautiful. but you need more of them. also you do need a mirror because the room is a sea of beige
January 27, 2013 at 6:35PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Something to ponder .....painting the chairs and table top white will update to a point. If you're not replacing the dining set at this time, and you don't want country, all you need is the contemporary colors and accessories to make a slow transition to fit your current budget. It is a matter of prioritizing on what to spend money at this time.

If you purchase a new dining set, I suggest a glass top table with contemporary chairs.

January 27, 2013 at 6:48PM     
movethisnotthat
LB, thanks for all your suggestions ! I think we will paint the table and either look for different chairs or paint what we have too. OR even find 2 upholstered chairs and mix it up. When we are done with them. we will sell them. I'm keeping the rug out of there too, So next will be looking at curtains! By the way I love your last picture that would fit nicely into my space...you were listening !!! thanks again everyone.
Round table= round rug right ?
January 27, 2013 at 7:06PM     
movethisnotthat
Pondering is a good thing! I've been searching houzz all day and I have found my tastes are more contemporary with a twist of french country. Whoooknoo !
January 27, 2013 at 7:29PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
That's exactly what I was feeling earlier on. Budget seemed to be of concern from your posts, so I didn't try to spend your money on new furmiture. Good idea to get 2 other chairs. You don't need a carpet under the table, but it will ground the room, add needed color and interest to the space. As for the rug, a round rug goes well with the round table, however, I would put a rectangle rug in your room. Helps to use the space available. It will not look wrong.
January 27, 2013 at 7:56PM     
PRO
round table does not require round rug. find a rug that looks good in the room. It should have a minimum of 3 feet all the way around the edge of the table. The larger the rug you use the larger the room will look. You can use a rectangular or square one. I love the idea of the painted table base with natural top. This will give you an informal vibe. chairs can them match top or base. instead of several small mirror try one really large one opposite a large painting. The larger the scale the better as long as it looks good in teh room . You are trying to fool the eye that the room is actually larger than it is. Yes you can get too large. Work with it till you get the right proportion. Looks great so far. keep going!
January 28, 2013 at 2:50AM   
Susanna
I would consider keeping the table and replacing the chairs. Also the light fixture if you can. I think the room looks so much better now without the wallpaper! It just seems the chairs are very limiting no matter what color.
January 28, 2013 at 4:05AM   
michigammemom
Your room looks more spacious without the wallpaper. Great job! Rather than paint the entire dining set, I would suggest just painting the chairs as shown in the Canary Cottage kitchen to keep your space from looking dark again. Take a look at this affordable cottage style chandelier from Pottery Barn.
January 28, 2013 at 4:34AM     
littledesigner
I would definitely give the room a more modern style but if you like traditional style keep that but update it and give it a slight modern touch, if you have a large budget here is what I would do:
Get rid of the wallpaper paint the room a light color it could be neutral or pastel whichever you prefer, add a larger mirror on the wall with some architectural interest. Get rid of the fake tree! Get a sleek new dark wood table and upholstered or Leather parson chairs if you want to go a more modern route if not keep your set it looks very nice but consider painting it dark wood or buying a similar one in dark wood to provide a contrast to the light walls which are very important in making this space seem larger, however your current table would also be fine. I know the fixture is new and if you like it and it fits your style, keep it if you are looking to modernize a bit, I would get a statement pendent or chandelier. Consider a punchy rug but make sure it is not overpowering, try a bold pattern in neutrals or if you want cOlor, use it in moderation and make sure to add accessories in that's color.

If you Have a smaller budget, out with the wallpaper, and add a large mirror, maybe give your table a fresh coat of paint, and your room will still look gorgeous!!

Good luck, please upload after pictures!!
January 28, 2013 at 5:05AM   
movethisnotthat
the wall the mirror is on faces the front entry door/foyer, on the other side of the door is the living room, so the mirror only reflects the light fixture, and (adds more light to the room) provides good fengshui to those sitting with their backs to the foyer. Should it really be removed? or just get a bigger mirror? the one that is there is 33 x 27. It will not be on that wall alone when I'm done. Maybe big art pieces would be better there ?? Ideas on that !! So I'm taking it you all like it better with the rug gone.
January 28, 2013 at 5:45AM   
nikitasmom
Building off of Caroles inspirations you can see that the artwork is much larger than your mirror. Here are some other ideas using mirrors or artwork in your space.
January 28, 2013 at 9:30AM     
PRO
LB Interiors
If "priority" is to add more light - add a LARGE mirror. A larger mirror than what you have is highly suggested, even if you add art to this same wall.
January 28, 2013 at 9:49AM   
flgrandma
I've attached photos of my small dining room that has a dark table, white chairs, a large mirror and a fairly large painting. Just to show you a real life room.
January 28, 2013 at 10:05AM     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Wallpaper Must go!!!
January 28, 2013 at 10:12AM     
curacaoblue
The wallpaper already went and its night and day! I think your table could see a whole new life if you decide to paint it. It looks sturdy and in good shape. Can't wait to see what you decide to do!
January 28, 2013 at 10:22AM     
Darzy
This is it!...your table, painted chairs and the stripe walls as LB suggested. Large mirror with four prints. This is lovely..

January 28, 2013 at 11:36AM     
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
you have achieved good results , if you plan to keep these chairs try dip painting the chairs in different colours to add a little drama in the dining room .
January 28, 2013 at 11:47AM   
Judy M
Darzy just nailed it!
Don't paint the top of the table ( just like in this photo) the paint will just chip, scratch with dishes etc.

Now I want to do my dining room over.
January 28, 2013 at 11:49AM     
hfhyr
I agree...remove the wallpaper and try a warm Taupe, not too light. Changing out the chandelier might be expensive, try changing the shades or check out a local Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your area, they might have something inexpensive that will make a statement. Try a light sand on the table base and stain it a darker color, but definitely DON'T paint it. A nice neutral area rug and some fabulous art or antique plates on the wall, maybe combined with a mirror to reflect the light.
January 28, 2013 at 11:53AM   
carole
just found that pict too,but also really like the one with BIG art!!!
January 28, 2013 at 12:10PM   
movethisnotthat
yes yes yes, Darzy that would be perfect !! Thank you so much !! I now...think I can, think I can, think I can......more pictures as we work on this room.
January 28, 2013 at 12:10PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Another mirror option, since you may not have room for a buffet.
of course not quite as large as this one, but I like the way that it moves into the space below table height.

January 28, 2013 at 12:14PM     
maryannes
Darzy that is so realistic of what this dining room could be for an inexpensive makeover!! Who says you need all new furniture to update your home. I can't wait for the finished room.
January 28, 2013 at 12:15PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Great photo Darzy. My suggestions for stripe walls, natural table top & paint the chairs "white "was changed when movethisnotthat wanted to move in a contemporary direction. So, Darzy, black chairs it is, a great photo above combining both our visions. P.S. Thanks Darzy for finding the photo.
January 28, 2013 at 12:35PM     
movethisnotthat
the ideas of using some black some white, mirrors, same table should all work just right in this room, I'll show hubby today to see what he thinks, houzzers are great !! thanks ! I will now need to look for a bigger mirror, LB thanks for your mirror ideas..I love mirrors in my space. A curtain will now be the next thing and maybe a rug that is bigger too...........anyone want to buy a slightly used rug, since I now have an extra one ?? ha ha ha ,It has great colors in a rich pile and is 5x8. MAYBE a more dramatic curtain and simple rug... or visa versa ????
January 28, 2013 at 12:43PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Darzy, I think we would make a good team!
January 28, 2013 at 12:43PM     
Darzy
movethisnotthat..we can't wait to see your finished product. The hardest is planning the stripes just right!
January 28, 2013 at 12:46PM     
Darzy
@LB Interiors. Yes we would make a great team! :)
January 28, 2013 at 12:50PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
These seem to have all your colors & some new colors to accent & use for drape choices. P.S. I love love color!!!

MULTI Carpets and Rugs 1

UNIQUE / FUNKY / DIFFERENT - tons of color choices for accessories, art and drapes Carpets and Rugs 2

INTERESTING Carpets and Rugs 3

TROPICAL Carpets and Rugs 4
January 28, 2013 at 12:58PM   
movethisnotthat
we are painting a more neutral palette, we just covered up a color called fragrant clove (a favorite of mine) love carpet 4 !! I have all those colors in my house...you peeked in, next time ring the bell !!! :) Should I be looking for a 8 x 10 rug. If we go with a round 8' ??
January 28, 2013 at 1:25PM     
movethisnotthat
oh I'm thinking of doing the stripes in the same color just different finishes... flat or eggshell with semi gloss.
January 28, 2013 at 1:41PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
I love color. Color makes a statement and adds life to a room.

The carpets will work with your "neutral painted wall choices. There are neutrals in the carpets. Add accessories and art in a color/s from the carpet that you lean towards.

I love color, fabrics, patterns and textures. Must have solids also. Keep an open mind to try "out of the ordinary". That's what differentiates each of us!

I'm surprised that everyone gets on the same bandwaggon. Meaning, current trends are great and exciting, but if everyone does it, then everyone's home looks the same.

Ex: seems to be the must haves are - stainless steel appliances, gray or greige walls or "espresso" and black furniture. Don't get me wrong, I like those choices also, but there are thousands of other options, It does take guts to go for what you really like.

Don't be afraid of the world of choices for us all! I'm a designer that keeps my vision and emotions wide open!
January 28, 2013 at 1:41PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Good choice, the same color will appear 2 different tones. NICE
Choices for you ........

Eggshell / Semi gloss - will catch the light and bounce it around the room. Tends to feel more contemporary, but not neccessarily.

Eggshell / Flat - gives a more subtle (sparkle) light reflection

Semi Gloss - high light reflection
January 28, 2013 at 1:51PM     
Keitha
If you love, love the picture that Darzy found I'm not sure that the bold designs that LB suggested for the rug would be the best choice. Although they are lovely I'm wondering if such bold designs would be a little overpowering in this instance? Just a thought!
January 28, 2013 at 4:05PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
You're right Keitha about boldness. The accent color choices have not been decided unless I've missed it in the dialogue. Softer colors for carpet, if overall paint and artwork are soft. Bolder colors for carpet if accent color choices are bolder. I understand. It's determined by the saturation of colors that one prefers.

Soft and bold colors used in the same room from the same color palettes are really nice.
January 28, 2013 at 5:00PM   
Keitha
I really like the stripe and think that a color pallet similar to the picture that Darzy sent would be timeless and not quickly dated. You both have great ideas!
January 28, 2013 at 5:14PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks Keitha, after all, it's still a personal choice for everything and all of us can only suggest our ideas.
January 28, 2013 at 5:38PM   
Keitha
You are right. It makes the discussions very interesting and gets the creative juices flowing.
January 28, 2013 at 5:58PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Yes, Keitha, it becomes so exciting!
January 28, 2013 at 6:37PM   
Dawn Taillon
If you want to update the room but remain eclectic in style, remove the paper, it is labor intensive but cheap to do yourself and paint, that will add a whole new light, bright feel, that can still let you attain the homey vibe you once got from the wall paper, that is now dated. Paint and you will smile again. You can always add some white bead board wainscoting if you want a little more punch.
January 28, 2013 at 6:56PM   
Darzy
If you like the stripe idea but afraid of "too much" you can paint the entire space the color you want in "flat" paint. Then, go back and painters tape the stripe and paint every other stripe a "semi-gloss". It's amazing that it is exactly the same color, but the finish gives it a striped effect, without the boldness of two different colors. You can really see the subtle stripe too!
January 28, 2013 at 9:18PM   
Darzy
OH! LB suggested the flat/semi gloss stripe too! lol
January 28, 2013 at 9:20PM   
Keitha
My husband and I did that flat/ semigloss stripe technique quite a few years ago and it is a nice subtle effect..just takes a little time and patience to accomplish but worth the effort.
January 28, 2013 at 10:02PM     
movethisnotthat
this is all going to be a work in progress as hubby was some very strong opinions about this little dining room and the first impressions from the front door. whooknoo ???
January 29, 2013 at 5:44AM   
Judy M
Here's my take on a husband's opinion. Ask him to describe a co workers home (that he's been to a few times) with some detail. What color are kitchen cabinets? What did he like most about the house? What would he say the style of the house is?
If he can't, then sorry, I don't think his opinion should get much merit.
To me,. If they don't notice those things in other homes then they just don't have an eye for detail.

This theory of mine applies to wives too! If the husband notices these things and the wife doesn't then his opinion gets more weight.
Now if they BOTH have this design sense, watch out, it's like a bumper car ride at amusement park!
January 29, 2013 at 5:55AM     
Molly
I think that when sharing space, you must consider both (or all) people involved. Regardless of their "eye for design" They live in the space, therefore it's important that they feel at home.
January 29, 2013 at 7:11AM     
Judy M
Function for both is important. I am short, husband is tall. So compromises have to be made.
I consider his opinion in many things, but when it comes down to overall design, he just doesn't see the big picture. Each item, table, chair, drape etc. might be nice but do they go together?
That's where many men, drop the ball.
This is just my opinion. As I mentioned some men get it. If my husband hated orange, I would find another color, no matter how much I might love it.

From what I see on home shows on TV, if we let men decorate, it would be all black leather and giant TV's.
January 29, 2013 at 7:28AM     
PRO
Budget My Build
The wall paper must go along with the fake plant. You can try painting the wall a tan color and perhaps get a darker color table and chairs. If your budget allows for more, here is a good place to see what can be done with the dinning room. http://budgetmybuild.co/
January 29, 2013 at 9:35AM   
carole
ask him what he had in mind, and see where you do agree and take it from there,maybe he is abit overwhelmed with all the Houzzers putting a comment about HIS house!!sure he will see that the design as it is now is a great design for your room,but it is a shame was sooooooooo looking forward to seeing the changes....the comprimise we made was to let my partner choose the curtains and the settee for our livingroom,so he is happy and now i can get on with the rest....love and marriage :-)
January 29, 2013 at 9:51AM     
movethisnotthat
I am so bummed, we picked out the light fixture together, I'm a stager so thought I could make it work as I do most of the time. He needed to hear all your comments so it wasn't coming from "me". I'll keep working with him and sharing your thoughts I know he will come around sooner or later. Everything we do is a compromise, this will all work out I know, stay tuned as I post more of my thoughts and pictures of our room. oh and he hates curtains.....so that will be a major undertaking.....oh my !
January 29, 2013 at 3:55PM     
PRO
Committed Photography, Inc.
What a great bunch of suggestions. I have agree with a few of the post that are recommending artwork. Dressing the room up with a couple pieces with a black frame or even canvas would take the room to another level.

By all means feel free to take a look at a few of the recommendations below. Everything is customizable meaning you get to choose the size, materials, framing, etc. Hope you enjoy!
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/212
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/744
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/671

www.committedphotography.ca
January 29, 2013 at 4:12PM   
Dawn Taillon
I totally get what the woman meant about a husband who has opinions about the home but does show any interest in any planning, searching, shopping, comparing and taking in things he admires and telling you. That is soooo frustrating. I have one of those. But I do think if you want a happy home, somehow the compromise comes into place. Unless you can convince them that it just won't be fun for them and you aren't giving up, if that was the plan.

Ya know I saw a funny sign the other day, it said, SHOPPING WITH YOUR HUSBAND IS LIKE HUNTING WITH THE GAME WARDEN.
January 29, 2013 at 5:34PM     
feeny
Just so your husband doesn't feel we are all ganging up on your side against him, you can tell him I hate curtains too and don't have a single set of them in my house. Your room is already looking SO much better, BTW. Bravo!
January 29, 2013 at 5:43PM   
fairviewbonnie
What a great discussion. Love it when the homeowners make things happen and show the updates. We all learned from this discussion!
January 29, 2013 at 6:29PM   
movethisnotthat
ha ha feeny, we have no curtains in our home either !! Not many neighbors either ! :)
January 29, 2013 at 7:30PM   
movethisnotthat
oh I took measurements of the wall space on either side of the only window in the room I have 36" !!! that's "gold" BUT no more than 17" deep. I'm thinking chests in those 2 spots, what do you think? He saw 3 he "liked" !!! online and isn't opposed to that idea ! yeah !!!
January 29, 2013 at 7:36PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
There is always a debate about drapes or no drapes. Whether it is partners or designers.
To marry the two choices, what would you and hubby think about a contemporary approach around your windows using painted border in color of choice. It would bring interest and design and color or accent to the windows. They wouldn't feel quite so left out.

I must say, in certain homes and design styles, I won't suggest drapes either. I like both drapes and no drapes.

Around windows - Use this as a visual to imagine a painted border (this one is a faux) but can be a solid color.

January 29, 2013 at 7:45PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
I really like the 2 chests, 1 each side of the window. Hubby will be happy too. I know I deal with the same dilemma.
What color and material are they?
January 29, 2013 at 7:48PM   
movethisnotthat
one was a gold and silver stripe over wood, 3 drawer but sold out ! another one has mirrored fronts black top & back made of wood, one is 2 drawer black "long" legs on it. I'm keeping my eyes open for others.
January 30, 2013 at 6:03AM   
PRO
LB Interiors
I think I would like the one that is black & mirror. Goes with the painted black chairs you may do.
January 30, 2013 at 10:05PM   
Emily Hurley
@movethisnotthat How did it all turn out? Would love to see what you did with your dining room!
May 9, 2014 at 3:25PM