powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Do you like houseplants in front window?
sunsmile
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
There is a large window at the front of the house. I'm attaching 2 pictures: one has houseplants in this window, the other one does not. Which one do you think looks better from the outside of the house?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Manon Floreat
I prefer without. Is there another place for the plants to get sufficient light?
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 12:11PM
PRO
Design & Decor By Shelley
I prefer without for sure.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 12:13PM
PRO
movenready properties, LLC
Definitely without!
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 12:13PM
AMN
No houseplants or cut flowers in the window. It does nothing for the appearance of the home's exterior.

In addition, I find that homes look much better from the exterior when there are no curtains or sheers running across the windows. Of course, if someone's home is very exposed to the street or the residents have privacy concerns, going sans coverings is not an option.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 12:14PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Without!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 12:15PM
onthefence
I don't mind them - as long as it's one GINORMOUS well kept plant - a real statement piece. Small groupings of anything (including plants) in a front window aren't attractive to me.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 12:25PM
PRO
Show to Sell, LLC
No. Dated look. Better plain.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:28PM
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I agree with no plants....but might suggest shutters or white wood blinds depending on your interior. I also agree that sheers look a bit dated and blinds or shutters would at least add some horizontal dimension.
Winter isn't the time to plant, but what about adding "matching" bushes on either side of the window when the season changes?
Chrysteen
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:49PM
victorianbungalowranch
I disagree! I used to live in Germany and there it is very important there to keep the windows looking nice from the street, so plants in front of lace curtains is very common there, along with displays of knicknacks, seasonal decorations, and whatever else strikes the owner's fancy. I miss these little touches that bring some color in winter and some individuality to rows of similar homes.

I say if you have window sills wide enough for nice plants, use them. A few more and more variation in size and height might be nice, and maybe a bit of something sculptural.

So what is wrong with old fashioned and "dated" anyway? Sure beats cold, lifeless and boring.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 3:58PM
sgreco4145
Without looks better but if it's a great source of light for plants in your home group the plants together rather than displayed in a row.
0 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Help me with new cushions
I just bought these cushions but somme thing seems...
Need help finding a TV/entertainment cabinet.
I'm looking for a cabinet that places the TV about...
I need help with my back yard
I'm trying to create a relaxing, peaceful backyard...
Master Lighting/Fan placement
We will have a 15x19 master bedroom. This will give...
Will these colors work with this Golden Oak?
OK, we are underway on our den update project. This...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.