powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What can I do to enhance the exterior of my house?
Dianne Baumert-Moyik
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
It is a 1956 ranch that has been expanded. It is nearly 60 feet wide. We have upgraded the landscaping, hardscape.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I think you could definitely add some contrast. Everything is blending. The garage door could be charcoal as could the shutters. Then I think the front door definitely needs interest. It is just too plain. Is there budget to build an overhang for shelter? A light hanging under would help Where are the house numbers? What colour is the existing front door?
January 26, 2013 at 1:29pm   
Dianne Baumert-Moyik
Thanks Judith. The front door is white. I am thinking about an overhang and your head of a light is great. The house numbers are directly under the light to the left of the door. You are right about little contrast. Do you recommend painting the house a darker color? It is vinyl siding. Not my choice.
January 26, 2013 at 1:33pm   
Jayme H.
I like these types of things...
January 26, 2013 at 1:46pm     
Jayme H.
in the bare spot to the right of your door, u could plant something like this arborvitea...And i just think this home is attractive...
January 26, 2013 at 1:59pm   
MAlps
Would you consider a more pricey project like adding stone to the bottom of your house till about 2 ft up?
January 26, 2013 at 3:10pm   
mmilos
Landscaping looks great! I would paint your front door and shutters a bold, darker accent color.
Large pots with a topiary or colorful annuals to mark the entrance porch.
Consider having an electrician move the sconce to the other side of your door to give it more breathing room. You could then get a larger light fixture. Then move the address numbers under the larger light on a plaque.

What color is your roof? Is it nearing replacement? A darker charcoal gray color would look better IMO.
January 26, 2013 at 3:21pm     
PRO
clayworks
A more visible house number that is also a design element might help. Here's one that picks up your white trim and another that works with the gray. The terra cotta also adds some warmth.
January 30, 2013 at 10:18am   
cathyjoco
Hi, I am not sure about your budget, but I would paint the trim and or the shutters. Use the color charts to find the color that you like. The area to the right of your door could use a plant, WELCOME plaque, wreath, and/or large pot with thin topiary. Paint the door and trim a contrasting color. It is very pretty now, it just needs some umph!
January 30, 2013 at 10:33am   
PRO
Poole's Stone and Garden, Inc.
A stone walkway and stoop would be a great idea. A stone mailbox would also be a good touch.
January 30, 2013 at 11:21am