Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with our Master Bedroom
Nancy Baines_Vance
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our Master Bedroom is in need of a lot of help. We have redone all the other rooms in the house and have left the Master to the end. It currently has all the "leftover" furniture in it. Was thinking that we need something "grand" as the ceiling height is 10 ft - wall dimensions are roughly 18 ft X 16 ft. Dimensions attached along with pictures (nightstand is a moving box full of paper wrapped in fabric!) The rest of the house is contemporary in theme .... Would love any and all ideas - especially layout. Would like a seating area .... just don't know where to put it and yes we need the TV in the room too.

Thanks in advance - Nancy
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Nancy! Congrats on being down to 1 room! Here are some bedrooms I like. I like how the chairs are set in the first picture - you usually don't see that. Disclaimer on the second pic - it includes a lot of pieces that I carry in my store, but I wanted to show you the couch at the end of the bed. I think it looks great there. The other 2 pics are just pretty rooms. :)

Wailea Master Bedroom
Emerald Cove Master Bed Room
2011 Dream Home Bedroom at Merchandise Mart
Aldine Avenue

Hope that helps a little.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
January 26, 2013 at 5:03pm   
Nancy Baines_Vance
Lyvonne

Thank you, love the pictures -- really like the mirrors behind the nightstands too. Would it be weird to put 2 chairs and table like in the dream home photo in front of the sliding glass door? Trying to figure out how to use that space .... I put the chaise in the corner - just cause I had it. I have attached a straight on photo of the slider.
January 26, 2013 at 5:34pm     
Nancy Baines_Vance
Lyvonne - I like the chairs and the sofa at the end of the bed .... but if I put chairs there - not sure what to do with the "sides" of the room
January 26, 2013 at 5:50pm   
gillianlf
Nancy, I think you have positioned the major pieces of furniture in your room in the correct places. The chest next to the bathroom would work better as a bed side table, and you could use some more substantial lamps on top. You might consider mounting the tv on the wall and downsizing the entertainment unit so you have more room to work with the seating area. Good luck.
January 26, 2013 at 6:17pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Nancy & gillianlf!

Nancy - couple of questions --
how much space is there between the bed and the sliders?
does your entertainment center come apart?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
January 26, 2013 at 7:58pm   
Nancy Baines_Vance
Lyvonne
The bed is centered on the wall and there is approx. 6 ft on each side. Is it ok to make this off center? The entertainment center comes apart.....and can go away too!
January 26, 2013 at 8:46pm   
Nancy Baines_Vance
Gillianf. Like the suggestion of removing the chest and maybe using it by the bed. Again this is all the leftover furniture. Entertainment center can definitely be downsized.
January 26, 2013 at 8:49pm   
rawketgrl
I adore your space! What great colors. You are already in such a good place in your room. I love your color combo of slate blue and brown I would do every thing in those 2 colors and add wood tones for the table pieces.

Entertainment Center- I know some have recommended downsizing it but I think I would go the other way and make it one piece. I would add some crown molding to the entertainment center and create a statement piece, with a shelf over the TV combining the shelves and the tv stand.

Bed- I would get a large padded headboard or make one and hang it on the wall over the bed. Maybe curtains on either sides of the bed for texture and warmth. I would get a skinny padded bench for the end of the bed.

Chairs- Get 2 slipper chairs for in front of the window or depending on how much room you have you could do a fainting couch with a brown faux fur throw, and a funky chunk of wood round for a table nearby. I would get a skinny padded bench for the end of the bed.

Walls- Also I cannot see your ceiling, you might already have crown molding but if not white crown always looks so classy with a tall ceiling like yours.

You already have such a good start this will be a fun project! Post after pics too! :D
January 26, 2013 at 9:55pm     
PRO
the essentials inside
I agree w/ rawketgrl! Great advice. Love pic #2.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
January 27, 2013 at 7:40am   
Nancy Baines_Vance
Rawketgrl. Thank you so much. Like the entertainment idea. What do you think about placing the bed off center so we have more like 10 feet over by the slider for the chairs or chaise and table?
January 27, 2013 at 7:13pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
Nancy - can you move it over now & put some "placeholders" for your sitting area in front of the sliders & see how it feels to you for a couple of days? Since you don't have any windows on that wall it is doable but might feel a bit off.

Rawketgrl?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
January 27, 2013 at 7:55pm   
Nancy Baines_Vance
Awesome will do and post some pics. Give me a day or 2
January 27, 2013 at 8:08pm     
Nancy Baines_Vance
ok so I moved the bed over closer to the bathroom - moved the chaise to the other side, put a rocking chair as a place holder (old sewing machine is too heavy, so left it - ignore that) Not sure the pictures captured it totally .... what do you think of it off center?
January 30, 2013 at 8:06pm   
Nancy Baines_Vance
here are a couple more ....
January 30, 2013 at 8:19pm   
rawketgrl
I like the chairs there...once you get the smaller slipper chairs I would move them together in front of the slider with a block of wood between and scoot the one by the door opening forward a bit so you can still have adequate ingress and egress. I have an idea for the headboard now that the bed is not centered on the wall. I am trying to find a pic and will post soon.
January 31, 2013 at 8:37pm     
Nancy Baines_Vance
Love the 3rd picture with the 2 chairs and the block for table. Yes, please post pic of headboard ideas. Like the mirror behind the nightstand idea.
January 31, 2013 at 9:07pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Nancy & rawketgrl!

Nancy - I like the bed there! I agree w/ rawketgrl (again ;) that your final chairs should be moved together and in a bit from the slider. I like the wood idea thought I like the idea of an ottoman there too (kind of the like the 2011 Dream Home pic I posted above).

Ok ladies -- now the fun begins! Here's what I see you need now Nancy:
-Headboard
-Side tables
-Side table lamps
-Chairs
-Piece for between chairs (wood, ottoman, table)
-Chandelier for end of bed
-Paint (maybe crown molding as suggested)
-Window treatments
-Art for walls

Looks like a scary list but it can work for any budget.

Headboard as a statement piece first since the ceilings are high & your entertainment center is big. I'm off to gather ideas. :)

Hope you ladies have a great day!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
February 1, 2013 at 7:21am     
decoenthusiaste
Have you considered a system like one of these to lift the TV? I think you can get them with a swivel to rotate it as well. That would clear your wall for a sitting area and the screen could face either direction.
Beverly Hills media room
Lake Michigan House
Plaza
February 1, 2013 at 7:31am   
Nancy Baines_Vance
We have left the bed on the off center position and really like the bed in this position with our new seating area. Will we still be able to do the mirrors behind the nightstands .... I love this idea but will it look ok?
February 3, 2013 at 7:23am     
Nancy Baines_Vance
@decoenthusiaste. Have not considered one of this consoles....I actually watch tv in the middle of the night and my husband might kill me if we put the tv that close to the bed!!! I do like the look and that it can disappear and or swivel for viewing in multi areas.
February 3, 2013 at 7:30am   
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi all! Nancy - You can still do the mirrors behind the nightstands. The bed in the Dream Home pic is off center & they have mirrors behind the nightstands.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
February 4, 2013 at 3:57pm     
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Nancy! Just checking in to see how you are doing! Also - wanted to ask - are you thinking of going w/a new bed or can you just add a headboard to your existing frame?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
February 11, 2013 at 5:03pm   
Nancy Baines_Vance
Lyvonne - we have had company - and more coming! Going to have to make this a priority. We were looking at more of a whole bed -- but if we put a bench at the end of the bed - maybe just adding a headboard to the frame would be fine.
February 11, 2013 at 7:11pm     
backbonemountain
I noticed the antique sewing machine table. I would use it as one of the nightstands! And I like the idea about making the entertainment center look like one unit by placing a board across the top. You could even add a little lighting to it, maybe facing the wall or ceiling.
February 11, 2013 at 7:34pm   
backbonemountain
How about wall to wall drapes?
February 11, 2013 at 7:37pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
Company is good - always nice to have friends around! Come back when visiting season is over. :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
February 13, 2013 at 5:21pm