Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Cluttered, boring kitchen
Kiersten Mitchell
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
First of all, please excuse the mess! I took these photos on a whim as I have just discovered this site!
Okay, any ideas for paint colors? Should I paint the cupboards? Can you paint the counter tops? ETC! Just some ideas would be great! Oh, and the island moves fyi. Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
gillianlf
Yes, These cabinets would be greatly improved if painted out in cream. Remove the wavy trim board over the window while you are at it. The countertops may not bother you so much if there is more contrast with the cabinets. Putting up a reflective tile backsplash would also help to modernize and wouldn't be too expensive. Also replacing the florescent fixture, with several pendants over the island and under counter lighting, would also help. Painting walls in a more neutral taupe or grey would also help to make it feel more up to date. Updating the shades on the sliding door would also help.

It looks like you have an efficient workspace and well made cabinets; so I would recommend sticking with cosmetic changes and splurging on the countertops if you don't feel the other changes are enough.
January 26, 2013 at 2:31pm     
gillianlf
Also, replacing the hardware on the cabinets and drawers will make a big difference once you paint. Good luck.
January 26, 2013 at 2:34pm     
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Why do you believe that painting is the best thing to do? What is the budget you would spend on redoing the space? I never suggest painting it. I've seen to many diy come to me a year later and just have to redo it. The primer doesn't stick to the cabinets the way it is done in the manufacturers warehouse to make the paint stick even after sanding...unless you know what you are doing. I've had hired guys redo a paint job on unfinished cabinets they made. It's just not that easy. And getting it wrong after all those hours you are going to wish you thru in a few thousand to get new cabinets.

http;//tgmcabinets.weebly.com check out my budget thermometer under budgeting or What you need to know Tab on our site. And send a message thru the contact form if you have questions and I don't see it posted here.
January 26, 2013 at 2:35pm     
Kiersten Mitchell
Thank you both! Well TGM, I was thinking of painting them just because it'd be cheaper. Even if I had to hire someone just to paint those, I still think that would be a cheaper alternative to replacing the cabinets altogether! Also, like Gillian said, the countertops would be a great place to splurge if I'm going to! I really love her ideas! Thank you very much though, just the same. I appreciate your advice!
January 26, 2013 at 2:41pm     
Molly
Kiersten, I plan to paint my cabinets as well because new cabinets are just out of the question budget wise. plus I like my cabinets. But what do you like in terms of style?
January 26, 2013 at 2:51pm   
Jennifer Hogan
i couldn't afford to replace my cabinets, but I had them refaced for 1/3 the cost and got the look I wanted.
January 26, 2013 at 2:53pm   
Kiersten Mitchell
That's an idea too, to have the cabinets refaced... hmmm

Molly, I'm not sure. I'd know it to see it! lol... I don't know, more of a "contemporary" style. A lot less "country."
January 26, 2013 at 2:57pm   
Molly
This kitchen is from my all time favorite blog www.younghouselove.com do you like it?
January 26, 2013 at 3:01pm     
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I like the idea of painting your cabinets, and I'd definitely have a professional do it. I agree that new hardware would be a positive change, and you can buy pre-fabricated counter tops for less than custom fabricated tops, so that could help with cost to update them. I'd remove the scallop over the sink if you can, but if not, I wouldn't stress over that.
It's definitely opening Pandora's box, but I think new ceiling lighting would really help updating, and a good electrician can do that without causing a lot of ceiling damage.
Chrysteen
January 26, 2013 at 3:01pm     
Kiersten Mitchell
Molly - KIND OF. I like the contrast of the floor vs cabinets but it's just a little too WHITE for me! I do like white but I get lost in this... like my eyes don't stop anywhere. Maybe that's a good thing? I really like this (just as an example):
January 26, 2013 at 3:15pm     
carole
i agree with Jennifer,painting these cupboard will not get rid of the "countryfeel"because of the trim,also to get a good finish it will need a lot of hrs and a good paintjob is not that cheap if you consider it will take sanding back then primer-2 layers of base more sanding inbetween!!and cleaning and at least 2 layers of topcaot and another layer if you like highgloss,so check out all your options and ideas first,prize them up,make sure you get what you want!!!!!!!! i would keep the countertops and move the island as you said,paint the bannister a lighter color and get rid of that border first change you get!!!!!!
January 26, 2013 at 3:21pm     
Molly
ok... one last picture, this one?
January 26, 2013 at 3:28pm     
Kiersten Mitchell
yes! love that!
January 26, 2013 at 3:29pm   
Molly
oh goody!! http://www.ourfifthhouse.com/p/house-tour.html here's the website if you would like to check it out. :)
January 26, 2013 at 3:31pm   
Kiersten Mitchell
Thank you Molly!!!
January 26, 2013 at 3:32pm   
Molly
I'm in the same boat, so I'm really happy I got to help out!
January 26, 2013 at 3:33pm   
Kiersten Mitchell
Awww, well hopefully you get the help you need too! I am just in awe of all the suggestions I have received! I wasn't expecting such a response but am sooo happy I did! :) Good luck!
January 26, 2013 at 3:37pm   
Molly
one last thing before I head out: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20209705,00.html this old house has step by step instructions on how to paint cabinets. good luck!
January 26, 2013 at 3:38pm   
carbary
I think I would get new hardware for cabinets. Get a new light fixture( that will be a quick drastic change). New back splash, maybe stainless mosaic or glass. Then new countertops. It looks like you have a storage issue, so I might add a chest in front of the railing where you are storing your coats and add hooks by the door for the coats etc.
January 26, 2013 at 3:45pm   
gillianlf
Keirsten, I just want to point out that the picture of a kitchen that you posted and liked has the exact same profile on the cabinets that you have. So, I say, do your homework and paint your cabinets; you will be happy, and so will your wallet.
January 26, 2013 at 3:51pm     
Jennifer Hogan
I understand budget constraints, but spending on temporary fixes only keeps you further from your final goal.

I pulled the colors you have together in these two rooms. I would like to suggest that you think about the house like you do your clothing. What colors do you love, what works with those colors. If you wouldn't wear them together, don't put them next to each other in your home.

Pick out your dream color pallet and save to replace the things that won't get you to that final goal.
January 26, 2013 at 5:17pm     
Kiersten Mitchell
Wow Jennifer, that's amazing! And GREAT advice! Thank you so much!
January 26, 2013 at 5:32pm     
Jennifer Hogan
Been their - Bought what I loved and had a mess of things that didn't go together. Wish someone would have explained this to me before I spent so much on things I ended up getting rid of.
January 27, 2013 at 10:43am