Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What size rug, colour, style should I get to make this room appear larger
champagne4lulu
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is a combined sitting/dining room with a walk through in the middle. The blue couches are going and will be replaced with probably a charcoal Gray modern three seater. Two white wing back chairs will sit either side of the coffee table which is staying.

I'm trying to make this space cosy but larger. So what size rug do I get? Should everything fit within the rug? Or partially (so some items within the rug, some outside, or a bit of both?). I was thinking a soft Gray or soft muted blue with white or cream through it. I like geometric patterns but will that overpower this area and make it smaller? Or should I go for something like a soft Gray shag?

What would be best for this space do you think ?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
champagne4lulu
One of the rugs I like
http://safavieh.com/rugs/dhurries/contemporary/flat-weave/dhu626a

And a pic of the chairs and potential sofa (without chaise)
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 2:42PM
designideas4me
I like the rig under the entire grouping. It creates more of a floating cozy feeling. Dont get a small rug where you see the floor near the couch.
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 2:48PM
designideas4me
Here is mine. better off bigger. But lets see more of the room...more pics?
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 2:50PM
Jayme H.
ideas
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 3:03PM
champagne4lulu
Hiya, here's some more pics. First is from sitting room looking out to living room and dining room.

Second is from sitting room looking other direction to kitchen

Third is from living looking down through space to front door

Sorry about the mess! Unpacking and there is stuff everywhere!!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:15PM
PRO
Salazar Custom Interiors
When you use a small rug, it diminishes the size of the room. Look at the difference in using a large area rug.
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:19PM
champagne4lulu
Thanks jayme - they all look lovely. I think I like the larger rug. The coffee table in the first pic is lovely!

Thanks all appreciate your input. It's a really difficult space due to the walk through. And I really want to tile over the parq floors. Although lovely they just break up the room and make it feel heavy and small. That won't happen for awhile though unfortunately!
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 3:23PM
champagne4lulu
Oh wow - you really can tell the difference can't you Salazar? Do you think patterns can make it appear smaller too?
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:25PM
Jayme H.
You're welcome..u have a great place, good luck.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 3:51PM
PRO
STUDIO MB
Large area rug that fits all the furniture in a stripe pattern..
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 3:55PM
champagne4lulu
I didn't think about a stripe rug, but that probably would make it seem longer too. Hmmmmmm thank you!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:58PM
Darzy
This may be too much for you, but this rug would look great with your gray sofa, white wing backs and your wood floor.

0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:58PM
champagne4lulu
Thanks darzy, yeah might be a bit much for my husband at least. He hates anything floral! Lovely colours in it though!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 4:04PM
Jayme H.
Do u like Chevron rugs?
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 4:07PM
PRO
Julia Wakely Interiors
Have a look at Shades of Light. They have wonderful rugs. Perhaps the Soho Dhurri Rug in Spa Blue. Get the biggest possible size and be sure that the front two legs of your chairs and sofa are all on the rug.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 4:14PM
Darzy
I like Jayme Hobbs chevron idea. I love this rug if you want a little "exotic". It will look great with your sofa and chairs.:)

1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 6:31PM
champagne4lulu
I don't mind chevron. I was actually thinking of some chevron cushions in bright yellow for the sofa.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 7:18PM
champagne4lulu
Julia I love that rug from shades of light!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 7:20PM
designideas4me
I dont think you should do stripes or floral or chevron. u will lock yourself into a pattern and have to match it all over the room and patterns like that get old fast. Stick to simple and solid or very subtle monochromatic .
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:33PM
champagne4lulu
^^ do you mean like a shag? Wool? Etc
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:42PM
Jayme H.
My thought about the chevron are, that because it has enough pattern you don't have to add more of it in the rest of the room..they are modern looking and colorful/and fairly inexpensive on Overstock.com...but it's all about the look the buyer is looking for.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 7:56AM
JUAN DAVILA
TRY USEING wall mirrors to make the room look larger
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:59AM
JUAN DAVILA
add lamps an plants the rug i think shoud be a brite color that would pop out
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 11:01AM
JUAN DAVILA
try thinking about putting this on one of the walls
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 11:03AM
JUAN DAVILA
hope i was helpfull
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 11:04AM
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I also agree that a larger rug makes the room look larger, and I like the idea of a lighter look. Chrysteen
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 11:20AM
champagne4lulu
Thanks everyone! Very helpful. Lots to think about and very grateful for your good ideas - lots of things I hadn't considered! :)
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 12:38PM
Lindsey Powell
Something similar to your pillows, with some nice lines perhaps?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:09PM
champagne4lulu
An update! Old Sofas have gone and now the new ones are in. Side table and picture on wall will be next to go. Still haven't decided on a rug. Will sit with this for a few days. See how we go.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 8:41PM
designideas4me
The chairs look too tall for the sofa and too casual as well.
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 10:21AM
garybraker
I suggest changing the laminate flooring? Is its to dark for the height of the ceiling, Maybe be out of your budget but one continuous theme throughout will open up the space but be sure to make the room cosy with texture pillows, throws etc. I would consider a smaller patterned rug maybe 1-2m in diameter. In the centre of your living space with a highly designed round table as the focus to break up the 3-4 distinct areas. This will encourage a better flow I feel to the whole space. This is just personal opinion and combining tips from other comments would work great too.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:07PM
Darzy
I think it looks great! I actually like the height of the chairs vs the low sofa. Different and stylish. I would suggest lowering the art and mirrors above the sofa and tighten them up. Quite a bit lower..try hanging the art/mirrors just above above the height of the tall chairs. The art centered with the sofa. Sleek.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:14PM
champagne4lulu
The floors are jarrah timber and apparently very expensive. Everyone I've had in has been horrified at my desire to take them out! Regardless I agree with you they do need to go. It will cost at a conservative estimate about $40k and we don't have the funds. I'm doing the best I can with the limited funds I have so it's just a few decor decisions for now.

I've spoken to a local place here and they will loan me a few rugs to see which one i like best.

Thank you all for comments.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:15PM
champagne4lulu
It may be the angle but the height of all the seats are the same as are the arm rests. The height of the top of the seats isn't as much of a difference as it appears here.

The art work is going to go and be replaced with something more colourful. And I was thinking of putting two small floating shelves under the mirror. Not 100% decided on this. Thanks for your suggestions always good to have another perspective!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:19PM
garybraker
As you would like to remove the flooring and it is possibly worth a considerable amount, I would suggest selling this to someone which would help fund a new one? Seems a lot of hassle I know but could be worth doing? The chairs you have on the most recent picture are you able to get a few more? Because they would great around the dining table open up that space too and continue your theme?
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:26PM
champagne4lulu
You can sell flooring like that? I had no idea! I thought it would be ruined when they removed it?

Yes I can get more but we just got a new dining table and the chairs are too low for it. I was planning on using those chairs for end table chairs when we had more people over but the seat is just too low. So I'm thinking of getting something similar, slightly different style with a higher seat - that's a possibility. We only just got all this stuff in yesterday so I'm just living with it for a few days to get a feel for the space. Thanks Gary, very helpful suggestions :)
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:40PM
garybraker
Yes definitely it would be reclaimed an these days that means recycling and is a huge win win. You get paid and someone gets a great floor for a knock down price. Just take some pictures of the floor while its still installed and post it on eBay etc. price per meter as soon as you have sold enough ask who ever removes it to keep as much in good condition as you want to re-use it. As you will be the customer you are always right and any tradesmen who says they can't do it will loose a potential job. With the construction industry being so competitive it would be very rare for a tradesmen to turn down a job. The process will take a long time and its best to let a space evolve around you and your needs as a family. If you require any more advice further down the line you can contact me via. Email ... Gary.braker@gmx.co.uk
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:52PM
carolins
I really like your choice of furniture. Eclectic. Love that! If you want a large rug, you can also go for a piece of carpet (will probably need some sort of edging). Chances are it will be much cheaper than a rug. You can also buy two of the same smaller rugs and put them next to each other to make it one large one. Can also be a cost effective option :-)
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 1:08PM
pruner
If it is real jarrah, you would be absolutely crazy to change that flooring - not only will it look better with ageing, anything else you replace it with will most likely be of lower quality ....not to mention the hassle dust disruption etc etc. Do some research on its value, live with it a while and work with it in other room colours and accessories.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 1:48PM
garybraker
Why settle with something that your not entirely happy with? I understand the appeal and in the right room it would be great to make it the feature. But the low light in the room and the size and height of the ceiling the floor isn't right. The flooring needs generous light exposure to appreciate the colour etc.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 1:55PM
champagne4lulu
Hey pruner, I totally understand what you are saying. I love timber floors, particularly these, but it's an odd design. It's an open plan space. Kitchen, this room/dining, living room. Kitchen and living room are tiled and the space in between (this room) has the jarrah. So it really breaks the room up and not in a good way!

There's also not a lot of light either and ceilings are low, so it really just doesn't work.

Regardless, we can't afford to do anything for awhile so we'll be living with it for now. Who knows, maybe we will think of something to make it work? Totally agree with you, I can't believe I'm suggesting it either but it's just not the right finish. Would look much better with a nice tile right through.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 2:37PM
rod handler
Since everything is so modern, consider a nice oriental rug for contrast and depth. Make it the size of or a little larger than your conversation area. Put a few colored cushions on the sofas. Maybe a color on one of the walls?
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 2:42PM