Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help with exterior stain/paint colors
lisaswhis
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The first picture is on the lakeside. We are leaning toward a khaki with white trim, but also want to consider other options including more of a tone on tone palette. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
No Risk Painting
As a painting contractor I personally think a satin or semi gloss white really makes the body color pop. I do think it also gives you a much more traditional look on your home. Best of luck!
January 26, 2013 at 2:48pm   
lisaswhis
Jclark01, would you only paint the existing "yellow" white or would you include other trim ie window trim, etc. ? thanks for your suggestions.
January 26, 2013 at 2:54pm   
PRO
No Risk Painting
More often than not your window trim would also be painted the trim color, but not always. If you have any close neighbors or similar style houses, see how they have treated it. It doesn't mean you have to do what they do, it just gives you a sense as to the local style.
January 26, 2013 at 2:59pm   
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I like your idea of a khaki color. Having just read a book called The Old House, it discusses how the lake front houses built in the 1900's were painted natural (nature) colors, like green, to compliment the trees and nature. We just bought a cabin and it's painted an interesting green with some yellow/buttermilk trim along the fascia and an interesting "red" as accent. Sounds crazy, and I'd never thought of that myself, but when it needs to be repainted, I'm going to duplicate it.
I actually like the color you have now, although I can't tell exactly what color it is. It's very calming, and sophisticated. I wouldn't go real crazy or do accents that "jar" the eye.
January 26, 2013 at 3:16pm   
gillianlf
I also like the green and cream above. In what part of the country are you?
January 26, 2013 at 3:22pm   
lisaswhis
Aegean-designing, our current color is grayish/blue with an almost flesh color trim. I have to get rid of the flesh color! I love your cabin and especially the colors!
January 26, 2013 at 3:26pm   
lisaswhis
We are in the south, Alabama
January 26, 2013 at 3:27pm   
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
Do you HAVE to paint everything? Can you leave the base color and just paint the "flesh color" trim? I'd even go a darker shade.
January 26, 2013 at 4:18pm   
lisaswhis
Yes, the whole house needs to be painted. The actual base color is stained. I like the idea of a darker color.
January 26, 2013 at 6:21pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I love your house. I would leave it the color it is. It will look much better if you paint the trim to match the eaves.
January 26, 2013 at 6:27pm   
lisaswhis
Thank you Interiors International! We love the house too. Would you suggest that we paint the window trim and doors the same as the eaves (just not flesh tone!)?
January 26, 2013 at 6:34pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Door and window trim yes, no to the flesh tone. It looks more like a light tan on my screen. Your house is a late era mid-century modern cabin. Search this site for Mid-century modern cabins and you might find some great ideas.
January 26, 2013 at 6:39pm   
lisaswhis
Thanks Interiors International for the help. This is my first day on the site. I will be sure to post pics of the final project.
January 26, 2013 at 7:02pm   
zindor
I stained my deck and railings a lovely bluish-green, which I immediately loved. In the summer, the deck color makes it seem like an extension of the garden. In the winter, the color soothes my eyes when they crave the colors of spring. The Behr website has an online application that allows you to upload a photo of the house and "paint" it with different colors. It seems like a good way to get an idea of what you may like, without much effort or risk.
January 26, 2013 at 7:09pm     
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Here are my suggestions
January 26, 2013 at 7:09pm     
mveasey
May I suggest replacing the lower storm door/ screen door with something more contemporary. That style of door you have is more of a country charm one and distracts from the clean lines of the rest of your beautiful home.
January 26, 2013 at 7:13pm