Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with this wall in my family room
smalleyg
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is the wall in my family room. It is between the hallway and the garage entrance door. It is above our sectional. The walls a beige color. I am stumped as what to do with this long length of wall. Should I get rid of the mirror? Get a bigger one. I like the idea of a mirror on that wall. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mmilos
Get a much larger mirror. Or artwork if the reflected view isn't very attractive. Needs to be about 2/3rds the length of the back of your sectional. Hang it so it sits about 6" above the back of the sectional.
January 26, 2013 at 2:54pm   
gillianlf
A larger mirror would be better than the one you have. It looks like it would reflect a nice view out the window opposite which is ideal, however if you watch tv in this room it could also create quite an unpleasant glare; so consider shades on the window, or placing your tv so that it isn't affected. I would also consider hanging it horizontally and flanking it on each side with matching art same height or slightly smaller. Or create a collage effect with favorite photos and a larger mirror all with similar dark wood frames. Hope that helps.
January 26, 2013 at 2:57pm   
smalleyg
Would you balance the same sized artwork on either side of a larger mirror or would that look to balanced?
January 26, 2013 at 3:13pm   
janishill
Perfect place for a gallery wall of mirrors, IF that is a window on the opposite wall: http://inmyownstyle.com/2011/02/how-to-create-a-3-d-gallery-wall.html
January 26, 2013 at 3:33pm   
onewaterone
Cut hole in wall and install aquarium. 75 gallon min for this size wall. Seed with freshwater tropical fish and use hallway side for maintenance and adjustments. Any type of tile (in this case white) goes well as a base and seeing how your power is right there install puck lighting for an additional $20-30. Vision and guts.
Actually just making the tile nook with lighting would work and you could skip the aquarium if you don't like fish. Any type of plants could be placed there on a water-feeder to reduce maintenance.
January 26, 2013 at 4:06pm   
groveraxle
The mirror you currently have on that wall gives a most unpleasant glare. For that reason, I would not do a mirror or mirrors. I think a wall of artwork would be more attractive and calming. One large piece or a grouping of smaller ones.
Chelsea Apartment
Domicile id
Lissee Interiors
January 26, 2013 at 4:42pm   
PRO
Steve Ohlsen's CameraShots
I love the beauty of aquariums, but honestly, no longer want to deal with the maintenance and upkeep. Following that thinking, I've created a series of "Aquarium Art" that you might want to check out if you want an aquarium-like feel without the upkeep.
http://steve-ohlsen.artistwebsites.com/art/all/tropical+fish/all
March 14, 2013 at 12:48pm   
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
I think the room will benefit from panoramic bright abstraction. How about this one from orange collection?
More panoramas as here http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/panoramic-prints/products/panoramic-print-3765
March 27, 2013 at 6:20pm