Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What color for the wall?
kjwhamb
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We've decided to keep the fireplace surround for the time being. Any recommendations on the wall color? Our other living room walls are gray (Gentle Rain by Behr), but we're considering painting those too.

Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
Do you have other views of the room. I agree a medium gray would provide a good balance between the sofa, stone surround and wood paneling.

January 26, 2013 at 4:36PM   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
The gray and the sandstone in the fireplace stone would do very well as a colour palette. I would look to a gray with warm tones to it - stay light. The hearth and the wood floors balance themselves nicely. You would want to keep that balance by staying within the tones found in the fireplace.
January 26, 2013 at 5:59PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
What is wrong with keeping the wood? All you need is some good art on the wall. The grey palette will look great.
January 26, 2013 at 6:11PM     
anitajoyce
How about a nice beige or cream color for the walls?
January 26, 2013 at 6:14PM   
GEE Contracting and Development
Do not change the wall from wood until you decide to change the fire place you may wish you would have the wood back if you paint it just now. I agree purchase a large bright color painting that you love for over the fireplace, is may solve your problem for a while.
January 26, 2013 at 6:21PM     
PRO
Welcome Home designs

I like the idea of painting the wood paneling a charcoal grey.
It would make your fireplace "pop".
January 26, 2013 at 8:16PM   
ptmast
Take a look at revere pewter by Ben. Moore. Put up a bolder mantle, painted white. Incorporate some yellow into the room (ex. Pillows) for a punch of color.
January 26, 2013 at 8:35PM   
cheerful
Go onto Sherwinwilliams.com and use their color visualizer. You can try different paint colors on the wood wall. I personally wouldnt put anymore grey into the room, you need some color in there it looks pretty drab. A warm color (fall colors), not a cool color like grey or white. And by the way...cute dog, I have one just like it (she's only 5 months old...haha). Try the Sherwin website its a great tool!
January 26, 2013 at 8:56PM   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
Painting the paneled wall a warm gray or charcoal gray as suggested would update the look of the room and be compatible with the stone facing of the fireplace and your sectional. The paint color needs to be a shade darker than the other walls in the room and in a satin finish. I would add an area rug to warm up he space and anchor the furniture. An off white shag or geometric pattern would look great.
Add a chair and side table and floor lamp to the left side of the fireplace to balance the room.
January 26, 2013 at 9:37PM   
alwaysdesigning
I like your current dark and light tones. I would opt for keeping the wood a darker brown tone like it is. I think it's very hard to work with light paint and light stone together. If you do a paint, a medium tone that works with the stone. Your stone appears to be a pinky beige, although lighting can alter colorations, and would be difficult to work with a grey. A creamy beige tone would work better but I imagine that pink tone will pop out of the stone and become more obvious. I would keep it in a brown tone. Good luck.
January 26, 2013 at 9:38PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.