Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
HELP??? room layout & design ideas
cmcole1121
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Any suggestions for room layout/design for this living room? we want to paint a neutral and light color to complement new grey sofa. challenge is it is a long and narrow room with limited lighting. Attached are pics of room and purchased sofa and chair. Any help would be great!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Tammy Sprinkle
How long is the new sofa and the room size? The sofa and chair are pretty
January 26, 2013 at 3:56PM   
carolannr
What orientation? I would love aale slate blue with those furniture pcs and your white trim but if your windows face north and get no sunlight at all, it could make your room feel chilly.
January 26, 2013 at 4:01PM   
cmcole1121
Thanks . The room is 23 ft x 11 1/2ft and sofa is 86 1/2 in long.
January 26, 2013 at 4:06PM   
cmcole1121
I'm not sure which way room faces - but it doesn't get much more light than these pics (naturally anyway). I was thinking about BM Revere Pewter as a nice neutral wall color - thoughts?
January 26, 2013 at 4:11PM   
Judit
what you need is a patterned rug and a very light yellowish wall colour to make the room look bright and sunny! also I'd place a mirror over the fireplace to double the light
January 26, 2013 at 4:17PM     
charleee
There's something yellow on that side table, do you see how that color pops? Grey, yellow and white are very beautiful together: [houzz=
]
January 26, 2013 at 4:19PM     
PRO
Julia Wakely Interiors
I like the idea of revere pewter or perhaps a creamy colour like Navajo White. You could paint any wood furniture Revere Pewter which would look cool. Get creamy curtains or an Ikat patterned pair of curtains from West Elm. Your layout is good. I'd buy another chair for the other side of the fireplace so it's balanced. A larger coffee table would be good. Something with open legs, either wood or glass top and metal legs.
January 26, 2013 at 4:21PM     
carolannr
I think the pewter might be too close to the sofa color.
January 26, 2013 at 4:22PM   
cmcole1121
Thanks - i love that living room! what are thoughts on adding attached yellow patterned chair with grey sofa and black leather chair (mixing accent chairs)? Or should we stick with 2 of same chairs?
January 26, 2013 at 4:22PM     
cmcole1121
FYI - sofa is darker than Rev Pewter paint. It looks lighter/shinier in pic than in reality.
January 26, 2013 at 4:24PM   
Judit
the coffee table is very much in the way why not get a larger side table instead?
January 26, 2013 at 4:25PM   
charleee
If you love the chair, go for it, and get a yellow throw to go over the black leather chair. Maybe a small black pillow for the yellow chair, but really small, like one of those back support types.

I have Revere Pewter on my living rooms walls. It's taken me three full months to get used to the color because it's constantly changing. One day it will look gray, another day beige and even a light green. If you go with this color, my suggestion would be to use an eggshell finish, it's a whole lot nicer than the flat.
January 26, 2013 at 4:25PM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
One way to make a long narrow room feel more square is to "float" the conversation area into the center of the room. Placing the sofa perpendicular to the fireplace with the table and chairs opposite makes the fireplace the focal point of the room a narrow console or sofa table placed either against the wall or directly behind the sofa gives options for further decorating. The area rug you place helps control the furniture grouping. At this point we're just talking about rearranging the pieces you have. The sofa may be a bit long in this orientation...but give it a try? The picture attached is of a similar arrangement
January 26, 2013 at 4:26PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks - would have loved to do sofa perpendicular but the room is just too narrow (without a tiny sofa).
January 26, 2013 at 4:41PM   
I think the BM Revere Pewter will lighten the room quite a bit. I like the yellow with the gray and black and your chair looks a little like an Ikat pattern. There is a wonderful Ikat pattern fabric with yellow black, white and gray that would look beautiful with the room. I see a lot of it on Joss&Main and One Kings Lane.
January 26, 2013 at 5:09PM     
inkwitch
Color: you got a ton of choices, but already a gray sofa, so unless you're going for the monochromatic look, color on the walls would make that room glow. What color you love, what do you want to live with? Do you want to go outside your "comfort zone" or stay safe? I'd suggest looking at pale soft yellows, light apricots (avoiding pink tones - there's a color called "Light Copper" that isn't copper at all, but is one of those magical colors than changes with the light from cream to gold to apricot), sand, vanilla, thistle. Test all on the walls and stare at them day and night, lamplight. Decide what lightbulbs you want to use (they come in different tones as well and it affects wall color).

Color either absorbs or reflects light. Blues, grays, most greens, tans absorb light. So if you choose one of those tones for the walls, unless you go really pale, you won't have done much to change the room's dimness.
Furniture: I surely like the idea of a yellow print chair! That would be stunning with that terrific sofa and the black leather chair (envy! envy!)! An area rug w/geometric pattern or stripes would have a lot of impact. Got to have a bigger coffee table, but don't let the furniture salesman convince you it should match the end tables. So boring. Mismatched lamps. A floor lamp. Consider painting that buffee (?) a glossy color. Houzz has several examples.

Post some more photos once you get the walls painted. Good luck!
January 26, 2013 at 5:20PM     
One of the Ikat prints. A nice table that would look nice.
January 26, 2013 at 5:26PM     
trasgorshek
7768, where did you find the first table? Thanks!
January 26, 2013 at 5:37PM   
At https://www.jossandmain.com/Serene-Ch%E2teau~E3002.html for a great price. Scroll to almost the bottom of the page.
January 26, 2013 at 5:50PM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Love the sofa & chair. Next select a patterned rug, large enough (8x10) to go from the fireplace to include at least the front legs of the sofa. I really also like the idea of the black/grey/white/yellow, but only if that works for you. Choose a rug with these colors. THEN choose your paint color. It's very hard to find a rug in a pattern & size that you really like. There are thousands of paint color and shades. Choose the paint last. Don't paint a feature wall, the room will seem smaller. A glass & dark metal coffee table, or 2 smaller ones then 2 end tables with large, tall lamps. I would purchase 2 of the chair you bought and flank the fireplace...because you could always use them anywhere even 20 years from now. I would add the pattern and main color mix with the rug, not a chair. On the small wall next to the door to the left of the fireplace where there is a chest, I would place a writing desk..could use a laptop there or just do some work, add a small chair angled to the desk by the window add a lamp. On the opposite wall where there is the heating element I would place a game table in front of the heater, with 2 parson chairs..maybe a stripe of the rug colors. These chairs could be pulled to the conversation area when needed. Simple drapery panels as high as possible on a rod just off the windows. A large round framed mirror over the fireplace..now choose your paint, and don't forget to paint the ceiling a lighter shade of the wall color. Add large art and groupings of large pieces on the walls incorporating many colors not just the palette in your rug. Accessorize with large pots and green plants and other objects you love.
January 26, 2013 at 5:51PM     
cmcole1121
Thank you all for your comments - all are very appreciated.
January 26, 2013 at 9:13PM     
cmcole1121
Has anyone used BM Edgecomb Grey or Grey Owl? thoughts about them in this room? I really want to go with a neutral paint color and am between these 2 and Revere Pewter (for now). I appreciate ideas about yellow but it's just not for me (and I want more neutral), however yellow accents are definitely a possibility (rug, artwork, etc). I also love the color blue and would love to work that in as an accent color (thoughts)? Attached are 2 paintings that we want to frame and put up in house. not committed to which I'd want in LR vs DR but i would like to find a home for At least one in LR. Thoughts??
for now I have put the 3 paint colors up on poster board on the walls and will see how they look in the natural light once dry - for now im still so confused!! Any other thoughts?
January 27, 2013 at 8:12PM   
inkwitch
Wonderful paintings! How large are they? THe seascape would go well with the gray LR. THe meadow might go as well, depending on how it's framed, but I'd be inclined to use it elsewhere.

Color: eventually, when you've stared at all three colors enough (and be sure you paint enough coats to give you a true color), moved them around, etc., one will begin to appeal more than others. GIve it time. (I"m 2 weeks into trying to decide on a DR color!)
January 28, 2013 at 3:50AM   
cmcole1121
Any recommendations for adding more light to this room? There is no lighting other than lamps (and limited outside lighting). I don't want to add any overheads or sconces at this point so I'm looking for ideas of lamp placement (floor vs table), paint color, light bulbs to brighten (and coordinate with new furniture). So many questions.....
January 28, 2013 at 4:03PM   
charleee
If a lamp with a shade, or glass cover, I like clear light bulbs. If your globe is clear, probably a soft white bulb would be best.
January 28, 2013 at 4:54PM   
cmcole1121
@inkwitch - thanks for your comments re artwork. The meadow pic was purchased in Hawaii on our honeymoon. The lighthouse pic is from cape cod - i am partial to that one too! The green one is a bit bigger than the other but they both need framing, so there r options. I guess I'll wait on this decision :-).

To clarify re: lamps/lighting - all lights in pics are temporary! Any recommendations around # of lights/type/placement would b great!
January 28, 2013 at 5:42PM   
Tammy Sprinkle
can lights mounted in the ceiling would be a great solution
January 28, 2013 at 6:09PM   
cmcole1121
Any lighting suggestions that don't include adding ceiling or sconce lighting? In not looking to get an electrician involved at this point but need some guidance on placement and floor vs table, etc.
January 29, 2013 at 7:54AM   
charleee
Unfortunately for all of us, the placement of the lamps, or floor lamps, is dictated by the outlets in the room. You wouldn't want to place any kind of lamp where someone may trip over the cord :)) I would first figure out the darkest area, or corner, and then the closest outlet to it. Place a lamp there, and then move on to the next outlet.
January 29, 2013 at 7:59AM   
cmcole1121
@olldbobbi thanks that makes sense :-). I guess what I was hoping for was more about floor vs table, other tips for adding brightness, light bulbs, etc. I guess I will figure it out.
January 29, 2013 at 8:43AM   
nevadan
Eggshell white walls, woodwork and fireplace pale gray or grayish green, patterned rug with some green and gold.
January 29, 2013 at 8:52AM   
judianna20
Love the yellow chair…just what your room needs. As bobbi suggests, use more yellow/gold. The color of the sofa cushions looks like a soft gray. How about that for the walls?
Living Room
Geometric Tile H.Rug Yellow/Grey
January 30, 2013 at 4:01PM     
mcbride2304
Just painted our whole downstairs edgecomb gray with dove white woodwork and crown molding.It's beautiful, classy and looks great with beige or gray and black and any accents. I wanted a color to stand the test of time and that would look timeless as I switched to different accent colors as I got bored with current trends. It just makes a great background.
January 30, 2013 at 4:13PM     
analisamt
I love your fireplace and wall color. All you need is a rug, an ottoman, art (maybe a big picture over the fireplace, or mirror), and pillows that tie the colors together. I love your furniture though!
January 30, 2013 at 7:46PM     
PRO
Cheery Curtains
what about some nice curtains? Mouse over the image to get a full view
January 31, 2013 at 12:32AM     
cmcole1121
Thanks so much everyone. I ended up buying 2 of the black leather chairs to go with my new couch and put on either side of fireplace. Can't wait :-). Now to find tables, rug, mirror for over do, curtains :-).

@judyg & @mcbride I am really leaning towards BM Edgecomb Gray for this room. Mcbride - thanks for sharing how happy you are. I hope to decide this weekend!

Any other ideas/thoughts welcome :-).
February 1, 2013 at 7:25AM   
cmcole1121
Hi all - update on where we are with our living room. Painted room Edgecomb Gray with White Dove trim. LOVE it (fireplace and door not yet finished). Have sofa, chairs & coffee & end tables. All other pieces are temporary. It is all very neutral so I need to add color. I'm really drawn to blues right now and am wondering if blue accents would work (windows, rug, lamps, pillows, etc). Thoughts or recommendations about blue or other colors (there was a lot about yellow earlier). Also does anyone have additional thoughts about rest of space? I'm looking for a round mirror I love for above the fireplace. Although to would b welcome, I'll try to post a pic with more light later.
February 24, 2013 at 8:30AM   
cmcole1121
Another pic - thoughts as to ow to decorate???
February 24, 2013 at 8:42AM