Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Granite questions from a newbie
tealeaf1012
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, We are redoing our old, stained, damaged formica countertops and are looking at granite slabs. I never realized how challenging this would be for me. I have a hard time making decisions, and needless to say was a little overwhelmed after going to a granite warehouse! I don't know how anyone makes these decisions!

I am wondering if someone could answer a couple questions...

My fabricator is offering a matching backsplash for free, but I notice in most pictures people do their own backsplash with tiles (glass, ceramic, subway etc.). Are the matching granite backsplashes not popular for some reason that I am unaware of? By having one, does that mean I really can't do other tiling above it? Will that look odd?

I am unexpectedly being drawn towards light granite (whites, beiges etc). I plan to paint our cabinets a cream color. I see pictures on this site of this looking beautiful, but in these million dollar homes what wouldn't look beautiful :) Do most people generally prefer to see contrast between the cabinet and countertops? I know it is a personal thing, just looking for opinions .

I am considering using a fabricator that is a one man shop. He doesn't work for a company, he does his own work. My friend used him and he did a wonderful job and she has referred him to numerous friends who I believe have also used him. He told me has been doing this for years. I just assumed all fabricators worked for companies. Using this man would probably save me some money, as it seems he will be cheaper. Is there anything I should be concerned about? I worry mostly that if an issue arose, I would have no recourse. Is it common for people to do this kind of business on their own?

My last question is wondering if anyone can identify this granite pictured? I saw it at a plumbing supply store and thought it was beautiful, but they didn't know the name of it and I haven't been able to figure it out. Could it be Ivory fantasy?

Thank you for any help you can provide!!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
Some of the suppliers sale their granite or marble by sq.ft ,some - they charge you for the whole slab.
People Do put mutching stones as a back splash - most of the time it is hard to have a piece which fits without a seem and it is usually more expensive then tiles and actually the matching backsplash is popular in more expensive houses.
The pic you posted: i believe there is some grey and mauve in there?? not many choises in this shade- you can find it easy enough
January 26, 2013 at 5:00pm   
feeny
I'm only going to weigh in on two of your questions because they are the only ones I know enough about to offer advice. I would probably not go with the matching granite backsplash. Granite is a busy stone and can look overwhelming in both counter and backsplash. It is sometimes used like this quite effectively in very modern kitchens, with the granite going all the way up the wall. But I assume what you are describing as the free granite backsplash is a 4" or 6" one. These have gone somewhat out of style, and unless you are planning to have that as your only backsplash, they make it harder to find coordinating tile for the rest of the wall up to the cabinets. It just looks more attractive to have the granite on the horizontal plane of the counter and tile alone on the vertical backsplash wall going up to the bottom of the upper cabinets rather than having the two competing on the same wall. I would also advise not choosing too busy a backsplash if your countertops are granite as it sometimes clashes and competes. It is nicer to let the granite's pattern take center stage. It is often recommended to take one of the background colors of the granite slab you choose and doing a backsplash in that color (whether in ceramic, travertine, glass tile, etc.).

On the question of contrast, that is a personal preference. Lots of people like the counters to contrast with the cabinets, but lots also like light counters with light cabinets or medium counters with light cabinets. Any of these can look beautiful.
January 26, 2013 at 5:04pm   
favoritegram
I have granite counter tops and backsplash as my DH didn't want tile and I think it is fine, not too busy, actually calming not to have the contrast
January 26, 2013 at 5:08pm   
anne02460
I just redid a kitchen that we stripped down to studs. We replaced a cream ceramic tile floor with red oak, cabinets in warm Brazilian rosewood, granite a white with grey, quartz chunks and red splatter. We decided not to use tile for the backsplash but used the same granite to give it a very clean lined, polished look. I'm so happy with the results and it's so much easier to clean! You can see the backsplash just below the window
January 26, 2013 at 5:13pm