Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Painting Kitchen hutch + table/chairs
jamisonrose
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I been debating what color to paint our vintage kitchen hutch along with our table and chairs? &/OR even different fabrics/colors to cover the chairs with? ... ..different color window curtain ?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tammy Sprinkle
Okay a few questions for you. What other colors do you have in the rooms that are seen from this room? Do you want to keep the rug, the wall color, the table cloth? Your room can go in so many different directions. You have good bones
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 5:19PM
jamisonrose
Hi Tammy,
Thank you,
The rest of the kitchen is all white. other rooms are neutral colors.
I really Love my rug. When i was repainting the wall I was going for a bit darker color grey, but at the time I didn't have time to go repainting it darker so I thought I would try and work with it. But I am up for any ideas. The table cloth I just throw to hide the top of the table..... its the color of the darker chairs, and needs some help. I was thinking about some type of chandelier or vintage bulbs as some point.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:32PM
groveraxle
The furniture is beautiful. I would not paint it. What I would do is cover all the chairs in the same fabric.

2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:41PM
jamisonrose
Thanks Brian,
Thats a great idea. I love that pattern. I am really up in the air if i should paint them or not. Its all natural chipped paint, which I Love but its the yellow and little green detail on them I still am not sure of.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:49PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I personally couldn't live with the color. The yellow/green is so off. It would look great painted. You could go with a high gloss pale grey. It will look a modern but those fun fabrics would be great with it.
4 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:55PM
anitajoyce
Instead of painting the furniture, Have you thought about repainting the room a different color to brighten up the space. . I know you like the rug also, but I don't think it looks good in that room. And yes, replace the panels also. If you chose a different rug with some color in it , that would make a big difference as to what to do next.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 6:05PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Is only the one wall painted the dark gray?..Could you give us photos of the other walls in the room. I would definitely paint the table, chairs and hutch. The hutch looks a little too small for the wall, so after painting it I would hang large art on both sides..I would do 4 large framed pictures. Could be smaller picture (8 x 10) with really large mat and frames (all the same) stack 2 on each side. Add a med. - large plate on a plate stand along with a green plant and maybe a vase in the center of the top of the hutch to give it more height...I like the rug. Choose an equally bold (large & colorful) fabric for the chairs to add color and pattern to the room. Without seeing the other walls, I would certainly paint them the same color..a feature wall makes a space smaller..really. Drapery, a natural fiber textured solid color cream. Be sure you hang the panels off the window/doors. And get 95" long and hang them as high as possible.
3 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 6:11PM
Tammy Sprinkle
Some new lighting, new curtains and maybe painting your furniture either, white, cream ( whatever that color is in the rug) charcoal or black will make a huge difference.
4 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 6:22PM
jamisonrose
You guys are great! Thank you

Here are a couple more pictures that will help.
Interior Inc. - high gloss pale grey would be fun! Would it be to much grey?
Anita- I thought of that idea, it just couldn't find any rug that i Loved that would match at the time.

Barbara - I do feel like I need something on the walls. Natural fiber drapery is right up my ally. :)
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 6:28PM
PRO
Welcome Home designs

How daring to you want to be !!??
I've attached a picture of a painted dining room table - I love the colour and think it would go well with the dark grey wall.
I also like the fabric on the chair pads and think it would go well with your rug.
Have fun!
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 6:28PM
jamisonrose
Mary,
Thats a really cute color! What about the hutch ?
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 6:30PM
Tammy Sprinkle
On either side of the hutch you could add art work, display plates, sconces, a tall plant, etc.
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 6:47PM
jamisonrose
plates are a fun idea. How high above the hutch could I hang them or no higher then it?
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 6:55PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think you got it! You are on track..let yourself go with your instinct now.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:12PM
reeni63
I would leave the furniture unpainted and change the top of the table with a thin granite or marble to match your walls and rug. I would change the panels to a lighter color and a bold pattern to recover the chairs.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 8:43PM
anitajoyce
I agree with Tammy Sprinkle. A nice High Gloss grey paint for the table and chairs would give your dining room that wow factor. I still think that if you change the rug to a more colorful one the room will pop even more!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 4:41PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Are you guys ever going to get enough grey?
6 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 4:45PM
smusec
You could line the inside back of the cabinet with fabric. It's easier than painting! I just painted an old china cabinet and used fabric for the back. I started with upholstery tack but the wood was too hard so I used double stick tape.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 6:44PM
debwalwer
Your furniture has beautiful lines, I wouldn't live with the current finish though, it can be so much better. I like the idea of painting the furniture, how about a creamy antique white for the chairs and table legs, apron, but leave the top dark wood, if that needs refinishing take the table apart and finish the table top stained dark walnut to add richness. Wipe on poly by minwax will give you a durable finish. The pic by WelcomeHome Designs has the table top wood stained. A fun fabric to reupholster chairs that has cream, grey and a fun punch of color would look great! I love the idea of plates on the wall, different vintage shapes in cream :). Can't wait to see what you decide!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:20AM
jamisonrose
Thanks!
Reeni- thats an idea I haven't thought of-- with the top of the table.
Painting the table and chairs grey would be great! not sure what color with the hutch, with out it being to much.
smusec- the fabric is a great idea! I would need to find some thing that would go with the chairs.

Any great websites or places you would recommend for fabrics for the chairs and or back of cabinet ? I haven't check many places around my area.

Debwalwer- Thank you for your suggestions! That would be easy to refinish the top. The rest of the kitchen is white. you think the cream would still look ok ?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:40AM
Jayme H.
It's gonna get reallyy grey in there...I am leaning towards white....more contrast, not so heavily saturated with grey.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 6:47AM
jamisonrose
Thanks Jayme - I was thinking the same. I am leaning towards that pic with the brighter chairs and tables. But the color of the hutch i am still in the air about?
What do you guys think of the chairs and or table legs dipped in a diff color?
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 7:26AM
debwalwer
JoAnne's Fabric has a great website and you can order samples online as well as fabrics. I would paint the hutch/china cabinet and the table the same paint color. I think a creamy off white would have a richer finish than stark white, there are so many shades of white and cream to choose from, get all the paint swatches you can, lay them out on the table in the room, one will jump out at you! I don't think it matters that adjoining rooms are white.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 3:44PM
reeni63
I would use a very light gray almost white.. It would pop against a dark table top and the dark gray of the drapes, wall and rug.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 4:14PM
njmomma
What about doing the table and chairs in Navy and the hutch in white. Navy, white and gray fabric on the chair cushions using the same fabric that is on the chairs also on your drapes. White barrel Chandelier over the table.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 4:28PM
njmomma
some inspiration:
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 4:37PM
jamisonrose
Joannes fabric I will definitely check out! I am liking the white/light grey idea for the chairs and white hutch. I thought of distressing the hutch after.
Thank you Njmomma for the inspiration! I like the second print a lot.
You guys are all so wonderful!
I am truly grateful for all of your great ideas,
keep them coming :)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:10PM
Keitha
I love the picture that Tammy S. sent a couple days ago of a table and chairs very similar to yours that was painted black. Also her suggestion of accessories with strong contrast (the white plates etc.). If you want a dramatic effect that approach would be a winner!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:45PM
debwalwer
This is a beautiful creamy white painted dresser, from Pinterest, from twicelovely blog spot.com. I love the rich wood grain finish on the top of the chest.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:52PM
debwalwer
Here is another example from Pinterest, painted legs and apron and wood finished top, from Uniquely Yours or Mine.com.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 7:13PM
debwalwer
I agree with Reeni, if not creamy white, a almost white gray with table top stained in dark walnut would be beautiful. (I will post a pic of a console table that I painted black legs with walnut top) I've attached a couple more pics of beautiful painted furniture from Pinterest! The bottom pics are before and after, what an inspiration!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:11AM
debwalwer
I was just on Pinterest and found this hutch . . .perfect! I love the chevron painted back of the hutch . . .sort of like the suggestion of
lining the hutch with fabric. This would look fantastic filled with silver platters and vintage look creamy white dishes and serve ware!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:00AM
jamisonrose
WOW Deb them are great! Thank you so much, I really love that last white one along with the top right pic of the 4. I do have a big dresser like the 1 picture above- that goes with all of pieces but in a different room. What a great inspiration :) I am constantly on pinterest and have yet to run across these pics, great find !
The hutch has glass shelves, would it be bad to paint them ?
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:41AM
debwalwer
I would leave the glass alone and install a battery operated light in the hutch top to show off the contents of your hutch. You could cut wood shelves to replace the glass and paint them same color as the hutch, I prefer glass shelves for a more open feel.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:38AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
A crystal chandelier would look nice in there, either transitional or more modern like these
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:45AM
aniluap2
How about going white and painting the inside of the hutch in the green color from your tablecloth fabric that would give you the needed pop of color. Then I would use a patterned fabric in that green an white on the chair seats to tie it in. Definitely paint the furniture since the woods are different colors ..it will tie it all together and give it. Fresh look.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:50AM
debwalwer
I also think that hanging some plates or white stoneware platters above your bank of kitchen cabinets would add some interest and fill in blank wall without looking cluttered.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:50AM
debwalwer
Here are some fabrics I found on Joanne's Fabric web site.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 9:43AM
debwalwer
More from Joanne's Fabric.com.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 9:45AM
debwalwer
More fabrics joanne's
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 9:48AM
aniluap2
Great fabrics! You could also use this color scheme when painting the hutch. Chalk paint is a great medium for repainting furniture since it requires no primer or prep work. Ann Sloan makes a line of paints and a how to guide for distressing, antiquing etc. on their are online site. There are slso online recipes for making your on chalk paint.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:03AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
The drapery is a bit to dark for the space I would definitely recommend going a little more neutral with the fabric to really brighten up the room .
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels.html
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:42PM
jamisonrose
Deb them fabrics are great! THank you again, I am going to make a trip there this weekend to see what I can find:)
Aniluap- chalk paint I havent used before. I will definitely be checking that out Thank you!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:02PM
Rachel
Go BOLD! I think you need a non-neutral colour in that space. (Even if you paint the table and you hate it, paint is cheap! So experiment)

I would combine a bunch of ideas above:

1. pick a funky (colourful) fabric for the chairs
2. Find a more monochromatic retro wall paper to line the back of the hutch (see image below).
3. pick one colour that is complementary to or from the fabric or wall paper and paint the table legs, chairs, and hutch (everything I found was teal - which would look beautiful with the greys).
4. Finish the top with a deep stain for that beautiful natural grain.
5. Put a monochromatic decor on either side of the hutch. I like the white plates or wrought iron ideas above, or maybe upcycle some trendy shabby chic shutters for either side of the hutch. Maybe painted (or distressed) in a lighter colour....pull in the white from your kitchen.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:29PM
debwalwer
Rachel, I love these examples that you have posted. I think the dining room set done in two tone with turquoise is beautiful! It would go great with the gray wall color.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 7:20PM
jamisonrose
Rachel I Love the color + distressed look. Thank you for the pictures:) I was thinking about doing 2 chairs in 1 color and 2 in other. You think it would be to much going on?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:37PM
Rachel
or you could paint two chairs the new colour and leave two chairs unpainted just to see if its too busy. If it is too busy, paint the unpainted the same colour, or if you like the look add in another colour.

I kind of think you need either a piece of art, or fabric or something with some colour other than just a solid. The room has great bones though....can't wait to see some after photos!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:44PM
merngirl
Love all the comments. Love the potential of this space. I like the idea of painting the furniture a color and refinishing the tabletop in a wood stain( keep with similar tone to the floor). Initially, I would change the walls to be the same on each wall. Keeping it gray but very light. I think the darker shade on the accent wall is overwhelming the hutch, making it look smaller than it is. The dark shade above your cabinets makes the room look cut in half horizontally. You want your eye to be drawn upward and appreciate the architectural element. Artwork and decorative items will help fill in the space on these two walls. When you have found your inspiration from some fabric choices, I would take an accent color and paint the hutch, or at least the interior, with a winter white on the outside(glaze would help). Keeping that darker shade of gray for the chairs and table base, help to ground the room. Keep the panel in a winter white neutral. Artwork, ironwork, pottery plants all work to make your room very eclectic and charming! Love the idea of painting the interior of the hutch with that chevron stripe, but maybe not needed if you put an interesting collection in the hutch. And as someone suggested, keep the glass shelves and put lighting in it.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:42AM
jamisonrose
Thank you Rachel and mermgirl! I love the advise. I am definitely narrowing down my fabric for the chairs and going to play off that. I am leaning towards painting the hutch white and grey and distressing it. I am still in search for fun artwork.
Thank you all again! Such Great Inspiration :)
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
SUNROOM REDO...Need design help
We moved into this house a couple years ago. This Sunroom...
Need help with my kitchen
I have tropical brown granite countertop. Would it...
Living Room Dilemma
I am struggling with ideas on how to arrange a living...
looking to install ventless fireplace in wall.
there will be mounted tv above unit. does this present...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.