Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
DIY lighting FAIL!
elw4797
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I wanted this but could not afford the $175 price tag.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
elw4797
So I bought a $30 shade and covered my existing chandelier. It looks like a UFO has landed over my kitchen table!
January 26, 2013 at 7:39PM   
elw4797
Upclose
January 26, 2013 at 7:40PM   
kimdee24
Awww! Well, it was worth a try!
January 26, 2013 at 7:43PM   
elw4797
Wait try 500+. Totally out of my reach!!!
January 26, 2013 at 7:54PM   
maggiemae0552
take the shade off the light fixture. Why dont you replace the vertical blinds with some cream colored gauzey drapes. Hang the drapes on a black rod using inexpensive clip rings. U will be amazed at the difference it will make in the look and feel of your room. Lowes has some very nice inexpensive curtains. I did this at my previous house and it updated the entire room.
January 26, 2013 at 8:01PM     
carbary
I would add crystals to the lower edge of the shade. You can get trim with crystals and glue to the edge. I did this with a cheap lamp shade.
January 26, 2013 at 8:32PM   
marlene57
Try Costco, recently saw a drum chandelier with a nickel finish and faux crystals for around $50.00. No luck on Costco.com but did see it in the store.
January 26, 2013 at 8:39PM   
cheerful
What about adding some fringe or some tulle over the bottom....take the tulle (about a 12 inch wide piece by about 3 times the circumference of your shade bottom) and gather it vertically every couple of inches, or even use netting...its really inexpensive (about $1.00 a yard) you could just hot glue it. I think if you used an ivory (the shade looks ivory) it would simply blend in. Whatever you decide, good luck...and i like your vertical blinds. I bet they look nice when closed too. It seems you have a nice view outside! Hey one other thing I just thought of, can you "bend" the shade inside up a couple of inches, that might cover the bottom... :) who cares what it looks like inside. Good luck!
January 26, 2013 at 8:43PM   
maggiemae0552
you could also return the shade u bought and buy one that doesnt have a pattern and has the same shape as the fixture u like & I agree withMarlene there are some cute drum chandeliers out there that are $ 100 or less. I applaud you for trying to upgrade your chandelier on your own- diy projects are often trial and error so dont give up! And I stand by suggestion about the vertical blinds.... :)
January 27, 2013 at 6:01AM     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Remove the vertical blind its very dated . I would recommend Grommet drapery in that space it will made it alot more modern looking.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/grommet-drapery.html
January 27, 2013 at 4:29PM   
elw4797
Well I sold the chandy on Craigs List and returned the shade. For that same amount I bought a new liht fixture. It's not exactly what I wanted but I'll fulfill that drum shade chandelier dream when I teplace the fixture in my sitting room in a few months!

Thanks for the verticle blind comments. I agree however I'm scared to make the leap to curtains because I like the light blinds let in while blocking the view. If I put grommet style curtains, I would either have no light (if they were closed) or anyone could look in my window (if they were open).

How do I remedie that? I was trying to think of a solution, like a double curtain rod with sheers and a solid panel. I could open the panel but leave the sheers alone when I want light in. Would this.work? Would I get grommet or hang on rings for both the curtains AND sheers?

I'm trying to think of the logistics of using the slider...slide open the curtain, slide open the sheer, remove the safety stick from the tracks, unlock the door...

See where I'm coming from?.:)
January 30, 2013 at 5:16PM   
elw4797
Anyone with verticle blind advice?
January 31, 2013 at 7:47AM