powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Narrow space and position of fireplace wrecks havoc with tv and furniture placement
sharon4u1
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have only 6' from the sofa to the wall. The open "pit" above the fireplace would make the (future) TV too high (without hurting your neck) so I'm tempted to rip out the 4'9 high platform/shelf and the fireplace and install a large electric fireplace & consul and mount the TV above it. My current fireplace is gas, but its in the wrong place in my opinion and makes it difficult for furniture placement. Does anyone have any better ideas please?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Sharon, there are many flat screen mounting systems that tilt the unit towards you for proper viewing angle. Removing the fireplace seems a bit extreme! Let's give some others a chance to weigh in, OK?
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 8:50PM
sharon4u1
that hole is over 2' deep so I don't think a tilting bracket for a TV is going to do the trick. You're still only 6' away. It's like sitting in the front row of a movie theatre....
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:54PM
Darzy
Keep the gas fireplace! How about embracing the asymetrical design of the fireplace and tv? I agree to "plug up" the big niche. You don't have to do stone, but you could arrange something like this:

4 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:55PM
sharon4u1
That stupid hole... you could fit a family of 3 up there! Anyway, I was just thinking I would like to add some depth to the room so that the TV wasn't so close up! (??)
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:58PM
mveasey
That's what I thought, place the TV diagonal, to balance the area.
Other option, is to board that area and emphasize the fireplace only. Then do a low console next to the red chair on that wall. By the way, the chair is beautiful, but it looks very cramped into the corner.I would maybe find another spot for it...
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:01PM
Darzy
Can you put the tv on the right wall? More pictures?
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:07PM
fangprintz
Close in that "pit"! Why is that so large anyway? Was it once covered? It might need to be covered again, as it gives you way too much room to load up such a small area. I think you might be feeling claustrophobic as there is an awful lot going on in one room.
Placing the TV on a tilt/swivel mount to the right of the fireplace on that ledge would allow you to open up some wall and floor space. There's just so much to look at in this room at one time-open it up a bit, and allow the room to breathe. The fireplace is awesome though-how nice to be able to sit back and nod off on the couch while looking at the flames dancing...much better than TV anyway!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 9:08PM
sharon4u1
I'm always moving furniture around; I have too much but I have 2 daughter's moving so I'm waiting for them to take some things (not that chair). Are you suggesting I put a TV console in front of the window that's behind the red chair?. That is a possibility! I'd hate to give up the hole beside the fireplace though, because it could work as some sort of storage. We have no storage in this house. Why did we pick this house?? Oh yeah. I let my husband just go out and buy it as we lived 300 miles away at the time....
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 9:08PM
sharon4u1
If we put it on the right wall, the couch would be too close to the fireplace; almost right up against it..
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:09PM
sharon4u1
fangprintz: That "pit" is original. Our house is only 7 years old. I don't want all that junk up there. I'm just living with all this mess until either I get an inspiration or someone else tells me what to do. Please excuse the mess. I swear the rest of the space on this floor is much better...
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 9:21PM
fangprintz
You're making me laugh because I have been there, done that too! Well, hubby did a good job-really-it's a very cute layout...and I LOVE your color scheme. I am a gray and white fanatic too!
Seven years old is a new house-so that cubby hole must have been designed as a TV nook-but you would need a realllly big tv. Can you watch the telly from the kitchen when you're cooking? That's great if you can, and that means to me that you indeed have a well designed home.

I'll be curious also to see what everyone comes up with as I am stumped too!
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 10:02PM
mveasey
Is this the front door on the left, so this place the first thing you see upon entering? I see a another nook on the distance with your white couch, could it go there, or do you not want a TV in the main living room. Do you use the fireplace or the TV more in the smaller space?
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:26PM
cozyworld
How about closing the cubby and putting the TV where the red art is?

I let my husband pick our first house, too. Ha, ha, ha!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:32PM
sharon4u1
Its actually the back door. And yes there's another nook above another fireplace. I don't think I'd mind the tv in that other room and that's a great idea. I'd have to buy blinds for the front window though, as all I have are sheers. In the winter we use the (first) fireplace a lot. We rarely use the second one. The tv gets used a lot for now, until the girls move out as only watch it when they do. And yes, the tv can be viewed from the kitchen!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:35PM
cozyworld
Is that another FP I see in the living room? The LR looks awesome. If so, I would remove EVERYTHING in the space you have right now w/the cubby. Everything, inc. the chairs at the bar. Then, start replacing slowly. I am thinking the TV could go where the red artwork is. The sofa that is backing the bar should face the TV. The, are those 2 black chairs? If so, I would put those where the sofa is, maybe with a little table in between.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 10:38PM
mveasey
How about putting small sliding doors to cover the nook and the right side next to the fireplace, then it will look as though it is a built in. You will be able to store things and when not watching TV, will look neat and tidy and the fireplace will be the only focal point.
At the moment, I would centre the couch in front of your "problem" and move the black chairs one each next to the painting, with the back to the dark wall. This way you will still have seating, but will not obstruct the window. Give the red chair a different spot in the house ( I would take it anytime :-), and put the other black chair from the entrance where the two were before. Have only tiny side tables and the same ones if possible, like the Ikea cocktail tables. These slide out with a tray. Put some red pillows on your couch to match the left wall and your artwork.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:39PM
sharon4u1
cozyworld: The tv would be great on that wall if the room wasn't so narrow. Placing a sofa facing that way isn't really possible because of where the fireplace is; it would amost rub up against it... and burn the house down :) ha ha. If the fireplace was in the opposite hole then yes, it would work.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:40PM
cozyworld
OK, so let's go back. What is the primary function of the room?
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 10:42PM
sharon4u1
its a family room and we watch tv and read here.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:44PM
cozyworld
Did you say you can watch TV in the LR instead?
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:45PM
mveasey
Here the side table.yes, if you truly want to transform the space, I agree with cozyworld and remove everything, your life might change once the kids are away and you might watch enjoy TV in the other room and use that space for something completely different...
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:46PM
sharon4u1
love the side table! You can't see it, but behind the black chairs is more stuff. We have a daughter moving into our (furnished) coach home next week and I'm piling things by the back door. Perhaps she'll have to borrow the red chair because there's no place for it otherwise...unless she took the white sofa. That would help......not sure if I'm feeling that generous though...
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:57PM
sharon4u1
We could transfer the TV area to the other room technically, and install blinds over the large window. As long as I don't stress about everyone messing it up. I'm moving the furniture around as we speak....
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:02PM
cozyworld
Gorgeous room. Can you move one blue sofa where the white sofa is, and have the other blue sofa facing it? Looks like the FP is blocked at the moment.

Then, I would remove the brown sofa from the other room. (To your daughter, maybe?) I would put the white one where the red art is. Fill in the nook where the TV is. Remove the trim of the cubby above FP. Put flat panel above FP.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 11:02PM
cozyworld
I know how it is. Everyone here groans with my changes. 5 kids + 1 husband!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:05PM
sharon4u1
My exercise program includes moving furniture on a monthly basis. I just moved the turquoise loveseat 'as a change'. I don't love it, but the cats can't hang out on it or scratch it while gazing out the window... I move that room around all the time. One too many sofa's though, and that's why the white one will go when daughter #1 moves out this summer!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:05PM
mveasey
Yes, ok, I would give your daughter the couch from the family room. Take the white couch and put it in front of your "featured" area. Have the two blue sofas perpendicular to your formal living room FP and move the two beautiful black Barcelona type chairs in front of your formal living room fireplace.
Put the red Egg chair where the two black ones were - voila!
Love your kitty cat, looks like our "Newton"!
3 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:07PM
Darzy
If you don't want the tv "so close up" you almost have no choice but to put the tv where the red art is. I think the space would feel so much bigger if you lost the sofa. Or get a two seater and put it where the black chairs are and vice, versa.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:11PM
sharon4u1
the grey family room sofa is a sofa bed and we need it for company (which I guess won't matter IF we have a spare bedroom). The white sofa is leather. I really don't want to wrinkle it up with use by having it used as a TV sofa. Otherwise it makes sense. I've switched the black chairs and red one, and shoved the sofa down. The cat remains sleeping....
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:13PM
Darzy
Oh! I just saw your living room. Lovely. Put the two seater beautiful teal sofa where the black chairs are, and the black chairs where the family room sofa is. Give your daughter either the white sofa or the one in front of the FP. Plug the "niche" or if room put the large art over it from the dining space. Put the tv where the red art is and put the red art in the dining space.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:19PM
sharon4u1
...aside from the fact you can't view the tv, the area is much more open. Perhaps, when we get a big flat screen, we can mount it on the wall where the red art is. Tomorrow I will trade the black chairs (from Value Village I might add) for the teal loveseat. Thanks for your help!
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:35PM
fangprintz
wow...looks good! I like this set up much better, but what does family think? Is that a kitty kat?
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:42PM
cozyworld
HUGE improvement. Now let's start working on those knick-knacks!
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 11:48PM
mveasey
Wow, you are one busy lady, so late at night! Looking good... And nice score on the black chairs!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:51PM
sharon4u1
yes its a kitty. I agree the knick-knacks have to go.Books, photo's, vases... but I have to find a special place for the antique violin and ukulele I've inherited.. I figured a large tv, a huge aquarium, or a panic room (lol) up in that niche...its such a weird space.....
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:07PM
cozyworld
Don't get rid of what you like for the knick-knacks! Just rotate!

What did your family say today?
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 6:27PM