Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help
Marcie Roberts
January 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a 12 year old daughter that is Sporty, and loves to party. She is a crazy, funny, beautiful young lady and she deserves an amazing room. She plays Basketball, Fastpitch, Volleyball, Soccer, and lots of other sports! This is my Daughter.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Hmmm. Jimmy Buffet advised Katie Couric to bury them at 11 and dig them up at 23. You're late.
3 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 9:14PM
Marcie Roberts
What do you mean by "bury them at 11 and dig them up at 23" ?
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:17PM
bonnieth
Are you designing a new bedroom for her?
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:27PM
PRO
Mise en Place Design
You should start with picking out a color pallet. It will give you a starting point. And ask her what she wants in there, within limits. You could also ask her to find images of rooms she likes. That can be helpful too.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:35PM
rawketgrl
What a beautiful child. She sounds like a blast to hang out with. I agree, cool chicks need cool rooms. Maybe we could help more if we could see the space to be decorated and her favorite colors. I am thinking she is not a girly girl so probably no frilly stuff. But style is so personal. Does she like any of these pictures?
3 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:27PM
marlene57
Pottery Barn has a teen site. Great ideas and inspiration.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:57PM
PRO
Mise en Place Design
Super expensive though.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:58PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Katie Couric asked Jimmy Buffets advice for raising girls...he had three, she was expecting one. His joke.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 11:04PM
cozyworld
I suggest this:
1. Have your daughter come up with activities she wants to do in her room. How will it function?
2. Figure out the floor plan. What kind of furniture will she need? (Don't pick the actual furniture yet.)
3. Find an inspiration piece. What brings her joy?
4. Start thinking of colors. If you are going to get things with pattern, like a rug or curtains, pick those FIRST.
5. Continue working with function in mind, choosing what works with her inspiration. She should keep looking for inspiration photos and you will ID a common theme.
6. Find big pieces first.
7. Choose wall color (too many people do this first- I think it should be one of the LAST steps).
8. Find accessories.
9. Enjoy!
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:12PM
marlene57
Jennifer, I agree Pottery Barn is super expensive. I go there for inspiration and then head to Homegoods or Overstock for the deals.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 11:33PM
Marcie Roberts
My Daughter is a blast to hang out with! :) her favorite colours are Purple and Lime Green. She is not a girly girl. I can't even get her to wear a skirt! She would like a country based room.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:53PM
Marcie Roberts
And She loves that first picture! She loves Dirtbiking! She has a Kawasaki 65!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:55PM
mveasey
Sounds a bit like me when I was young... Here a few photos
They make wood- look-alike wallpaper and you can spray paint a few horseshoes in purple and lime green.
I love the barn look with the horseposter.
Another option is to do one huge poster on one wall.
If you are looking for country furniture, have a look second hand stores. Best of luck!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:09AM
Aja Mazin
You have a 12 year old daughter that loves to party.

I hope that translates to "my daughter is a good student, responsible, and is involved in community service."
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:22AM
rawketgrl
This is a bit edgy but can be countrified a bit.... maybe you can find some things in here you like and use pieces of it:

I am not sure what the flooring is in her room. Probably carpet. A throw carpet over the top will be fine. Here is a couple of throw rugs http://bit.ly/XJfCDU ... http://bit.ly/TFHH3n

Curtains- I would go pure country with lime green checks.

I would go with a dark purple duvet cover get this 1st to make sure the paint matches. Maybe something like this http://bit.ly/WutPVd

Here is what I would do:
Put chair rail around the room, painted bright white.

Put rope lights around the ceiling in crown molding painted bright white...here is a DIY tutorial. Not for the 1st timer but not super hard either. (FYI, because I work like a dog, I would probably hire my handyman down the street for the molding work). http://bit.ly/WurlWK
Get purple rope lights and install in crown molding.

Paint the lowest part of the wall (Below the chair rail) dark purple.
Paint the upper part of the wall (Above the chair rail but below the crown molding) Lime green.
Paint the wall above the crown molding and the ceiling bright white. (This way when you want to change the colors it will be fairly easy).

Get the moto decals http://bit.ly/TFAmAN pay attention to the sizes and go as big as you can. I would do black decals. It will really POP on the lime green. I would place the decals on 1 or 2 adjacent walls after you have filled the room back up with dresser and bed and shelves or whatever other furniture you have. Also that site has other edgy and country decals. A few graphics in purple would look awesome.

I would paint all the furniture either white or black or the same dark purple as the wall. Lime green pillows and accessories.

Here are a few pics.... the purple bed with the lime wall shows how great the black pops. The chair rail pics are the wrong colors but lets you see the dark below with the light over.

Whatever you choose will be great, purple and green are great together.
I hope you can post pics when you are done with your fun project. Good luck, :D
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:36AM
2dogssashatess
http://www.muralsyourway.com/v1/at-the-sea-mural/#

Heres a horse mural she could put on her wall
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:38AM
Marcie Roberts
OMG what a brat!! Audrey posted this!! Hahaha....but thank you for all of your input. Keep it coming!!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 4:45PM