Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
No idea what do with stairs
Ester Belda
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi
This is Ester and we've just moved to a new semidetached house and my problem are the corridor and stairs.
As you'll see on the Photos there's a long Window,which gives plenty of light.
My main idea is painting the big front wall in a strong colour(probably red) or putting some wall paper(but maybe too big for this), but no idea what to do here
Please, advise some ideas or drawings...
Tks fr yr help. :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
I would not have an accent color on one wall as it will shrink your narrow space. You need a warm color and paint the ceiling the same. This will create a larger, softer and more open space. One one picture it looks like there is nothing on the window and the other picture shows a full length curtain. Not sure which picture is accurate. I would hang stain glass art or clean crystals in the window and the sun will send shafts of colors all over your walls. I also can't tell what you have on the steps, are the carpeted, wood?
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 7:22AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
This is a clear savorski crystal and when the sun shines on it it send rainbows of colors on the walls in the area. Today there is no sun and the crystal then turns colors by itself.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 7:25AM
Ester Belda
Thanks Engrav's for your idea.
You are right, stairs are narrow and strong colour would accent too. I'll think about clay colour,soft grey or light beig. Have you got any proposal? I don't like greens.

Regarding the windows, there's one large and fixed window when you go up on the left and on the second floor there's a doubled glass door, which has the plain cotton white curtain to give light to the place.
I'll ask for making the fixed window bigger and putting some stain glass, I love Mackintosh (Glasgow) Style like. But, haven't got enough saved yet. So, I thought of getting some colourful stickers for glass. What do you think?
Once again, thanks for your help
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:10PM
suzineberz
Stained glass panel hung on eye hooks inside/over existing window. Think of it as an expansion on your crystal idea.
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:15PM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Clay or taupe (not the taupe that turns pinkish) would be very nice. Be sure when you are looking at the chips you don't go too pastel as you need some warmth. Usually the second or third chip from the top gives you a medium shade which would be perfect. If you are able to do the ceiling in the same color, it will look one shade lighter than the walls. It has an amazing affect of tranquility. You can have the stained glass incorporated in the window or purchase stain glass art and hang it in the window for similar affect. There is a paint color "bleeker beige" in Benjamin Moore Paints you might like.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 12:19PM
Ester Belda
About the floor, it's white marble. My home is in Spain and when I bought it, it was included. We live in the province of Alicante, but in the mountains, not coast. Weather is soft and wood floor is not very common, though my mum has it at home. I thought that if you know me and my area a little, then it would be easier to see the space like
Thanks
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:25PM
putter2
I think this looks like a European cottage! Stain the stairs the same as the floors, paint the risers white. Cover the window with an exact-size wooden blind in white (Home Depot has them), instead of the curtains, so that you can keep the slats open during the day, and close at night. And will look neater than curtains that are in the way. You might get a colorful runner for the stairs....thin red/white stripe?
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 12:27PM
putter2
........hang blown-up pictures, framed alike, on the walls....
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 12:28PM
putter2
Oops......railing looked red to me....now I see it's wood. Still like the effect.....
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 12:29PM
Keitha
I think the large wall would definitely look nice if it was several shades darker than the existing overall wall color. Hang one large or several old architectural elements on the accent wall for impact!
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 1:02PM
Ester Belda
So we finally did it!!!!
Walls have been painted in mocca colour and the ceiling in dark white, like cream.
We decided not to change the large fix Window and instead, we put a frame similar to the doorframe.
Now we are looking for a big nice wall lamp and some nice pictures
I'll let you know all further changes, but once again, thanks for all your great ideas
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 6:44AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Wow! Beautiful, tranquil and the white railing and trim and beautiful accents now. Very nice!
1 Like   March 25, 2013 at 6:50AM
Ester Belda
So, we finally finished!!!
I would like to thank you all for your ideas!!! It took long to do it but I want it to choose the right lamps and picture too. There might be some pictures in future, we will see...
So, after painting walls in mocca for accent stairs and some corridor wall and contrasting with light cream, we added a wide lamp and put the biggest picture on the main wall to access the second floor. On the second floor, we cover the heat radiator with the wooden furniture and put the same style lamp as the other wall(i'll look for a picture to put it on the heater). On the main entrance we painted in same colours and accent some walls too (here we will look for some pictures to hang on too)
Thanks for all
2 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 12:50AM
Ester Belda
This is how it looks finally!!!!
I must thank you all for your great ideas!!
Thank you
2 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 12:52AM
carmesina82
Love it! I've seen it in real and it looks great. ;)
1 Like   September 22, 2013 at 12:55AM
More Discussions
Pointed ceiling
Just renovated my house and my carpenter made a pointed Ceiling...
help decorating family room walls
have a fireplace in center of one wall with shuttered...
I need help deciding about window covering (shutter or blinds+drapes)
We've moved to a (4 bed/3bath) home with lots of windows;...
To buy or not to buy?!
I've been looking for a sideboard for some time. I...
Need help finishing living room wall
I am hoping to get some help in finishing my living...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.