powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Would you put black ladder back chairs with this table?
prissy13
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am still looking for a new dining table for this space. It is our only dining area and is 9ft. by 11.5ft. I want to buy a rectangle farmhouse table that is a bit bigger and a darker honey brown color. Would you put black ladder back chairs with this table? I am not sure how long it will take before I find my new table, but I love the idea of black chairs so I wnat to buy those first. I also plan to remove the pictures and put up mirrors with small tables and lamps in the two nook areas. The walls are white right now but i want to paint them soon. Please don't ask me to remove my light fixture because I love it (my favorite part of the room) and waited along time to purchase it from Pottery Barn :) Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Sigrid
No, black ladder-back chairs won't go with that table, but you can cover it up with a tablecloth and it will look fine.
January 27, 2013 at 1:41AM   
seroujbo
No
January 27, 2013 at 1:45AM   
smcfloss
Hi prissy13, I'd like to see a photo of the ladder backs... But if it is only until you find the right farmhouse table...I think it will be fine, the black legs of your current table will help pull it off. Love your light fitting, I can see where you are heading. Definitely two tables/lamps and loose the prints that are there now I think.
January 27, 2013 at 4:21AM   
January 27, 2013 at 4:26AM     
smcfloss
January 27, 2013 at 4:28AM   
smcfloss
January 27, 2013 at 4:31AM   
smcfloss
Have you thought of painting the white panels black to Marco the legs? I would turn the table back parallel to the window, and perhaps rethink the window dressing? ( even removing the curtains and rod perhaps??)... But that's just my thought...
January 27, 2013 at 4:36AM   
smcfloss
Oops... Match not macro!
January 27, 2013 at 4:37AM     
prissy13
Smcfloss.....that first picture you posted is one i have in my idea book and is the sort of look i am going for. I was going to buy a dark brown pedestal table from Pier 1 and get black ladder back chairs to go with, but i am not loving the color of the brown...its a bit too dark for what i wanted. I will post a few pics of what I am going for. My space is small but cozy and I wanted to make the most of the area for dinner seating with 6 chairs. BTW...how do i post pics from houzz onto this post?
January 27, 2013 at 8:38AM   
Jean Tuck
Love this rm, a table cloth may help or paint the back and legs of chairs in black only. I prefer the elegance that it is in this space.
January 27, 2013 at 8:51AM     
smcfloss
Hi prissy13
I am from Australia, so don't know the stores you mention in reality, but have visited on line ( we are extremely limited in choice here... You get the 'good stuff'.... But I had a look at your chairs. What about the black legged drop leaf table.... Or the round/oval extender in black?( just other options.... But I know what you are thinking I suspect!) I have similar chairs and brought black into the room in other ways ( see below.... But my room needs work yet :( ) I look forward to seeing your progress. As for the wall color.... I am boreing I guess, but feel a white palet is always best and add accent colourful around the room that can be changed when you want.
January 27, 2013 at 1:48PM     
smcfloss
( damn that auto correct... Color not colorful!!)
January 27, 2013 at 1:54PM   
smcfloss
Go to the photo in houzz you want to post. Click on share, choose copy...go to where you want to post the pic, and then paste the link. I am on an iPhone.. Guess its the same?
January 27, 2013 at 1:56PM   
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I really like your idea of a farm table and the black chairs. the photo smcfloss posted is perfect, and the chairs could be either ladder back or windsor as in the photo. I'd wait to get your table first, and then buy the chairs. I've jumped the gun before and purchased something that didn't end up going with something else I'd planned, and it was very discouraging. If you're going the Pottery Barn look, see if you can find a set through them. I love their products. Chrysteen
January 27, 2013 at 1:58PM   
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
You didn't ask about window coverings but I'd also add print panels to all the windows and you could also add seat cushions either in the same material or a coordinating pattern.
January 27, 2013 at 2:00PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I'd do it
spray those that you have after preparing them for the paint.
January 27, 2013 at 2:03PM     
smcfloss
Just looking at your photos again... A round table would work really nicely given the shape with the bay windows! Do you always leave the blinds down? I'd love a look with them pulled up to make the room fresh and bright. If the chair are on sale now ( they were when I looked) then, although I agree with Aegean, if you are 'set ' on the style you want, and have a CLEAR vision then get them. But if you are unsure exactly the look, then you should listen to his/her advice!
January 27, 2013 at 2:15PM   
smcfloss
Sorry Chrysteen, just spotted your name. :)
January 27, 2013 at 2:18PM   
smcfloss
Arinbrooke.... I think you may have misread prissy's brief, the lighting is her centerpiece, and the style she is basing her room on. :)
January 27, 2013 at 2:22PM   
feeny
I would answer yes to your original question. I think black ladder back chairs have beautiful simple lines that would be nice with the kind of farmhouse table you are describing, and the contrast would give it some visual interest.
January 27, 2013 at 2:23PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
they could be used once the new table arrives
January 27, 2013 at 2:24PM   
notthetracy
I would just paint the white parts of the table black. Paint the chairs black or get different black chairs. put up some valances that have black in them or a black background on the small windows too. The fixture would work painted black or put black shades on it.
January 27, 2013 at 2:34PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Yes I would and they would look good too. Though they are not the most comfortable things I've sat on in my life.
January 27, 2013 at 2:36PM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend going with a softer shade inside the window it will really make the room more formal for a dining space. I think a Silhouette type blind or a Roman Shade would look great aswell .
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/hunter-douglas/silhouette-toronto.html
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roman-blinds.html
January 27, 2013 at 3:58PM   
More Discussions
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Skylight in bedroom?
We are designing a new home and considering skylights...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
Wood flooring in kitchen
Question want to use wood plank flooring thur out the...
Please assist in selecting a paint color for kids bathroom
Room #3. Our girls are rambunctious to say the least....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.