Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help redecorating my condo master bedroom
purplehoneypie
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The style of the overall condo is sort of zen-like. I am eclectic/bohemian, but I love the way the earth tone colors (which are usually not my choices) make me feel. I want to make our bedroom romantic and inviting, but not overwhelming. I'm caught between styles.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
purplehoneypie
We have to keep the drapes white or ecru according to condo rules. I would love to put in a little bohemian kind of nook near the window at the end. Its a beautiful view outside. Also, I thought of moving the picture and putting full length mirrors on that wall. What else would go on the walls. Can I mix silver and gold or white and ecru, and I would like to add a really nice oriental. Other pictures are on my boards Purplehoneypie. Thanks for any input. I'm trying to redecorate without messing it up.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:17AM
PRO
R Garner Custom Designs, LLC
What has to kept white or ecru at the windows? The lining to the outside? That is easy. I would definitely work on that little nook. Roman shades would be nice there and not crowd it. If you want a bit more style you can add a valance that is raised in the center to Fillmore the lines if the window arch.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 5:36AM
purplehoneypie
what can I do with that nook? chairs and a table, window seat? would like to keep sort of a hotel-like feel but a little more bohemian with the decor.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:52AM
llarose
That nook is great! I'd love to have that in my bedroom. I think I'd want to put either a chair with a lamp and end table or maybe a built in type of bench. But I don't know if condos let you do that kind of thing.
I read once that you should try to avoid mirrors in your bedroom to help balance the chi, but I could not tell you the source of that tidbit of info. It's just one of those things swimming around in my head.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:59AM
PRO
Dytecture
Most of the elements in the room looks great. just needs a bit of warm color through accessories and even changing the wall color as well.

1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 6:15AM
joplays
I am a little confused, but if the picture is the one I think, with the love seat near the window and the blue and beige quilt, I suggest you change your lamps and get rid of the doily on the dresser! Keep lines clean to maintain that serene look. A built in bench will look nice in the niche, but not that comfy. Someones suggestion of a chair and small table would be great.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:27AM
purplehoneypie
Thank you so much. I agree, the nook is great and I'd like to take advantage of it. I'd really like to use the rug which I will post and bring in a blue color. Would that be too much? I'm not wedded to the bedspread at all. I like the one you have displayed. Where is that from? is it a taupe color or a grey?
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:30AM
PRO
Sterling Wilson Design
I agree with changing the lamps. I would change the end tables too. If you want Bohemian, then don't do an oriental, do a fun colorful print rug. I like a chair, end table and small ottoman in the nook and a large "arc" lamp. Remove the valance (too old fashioned) and add tortoise shell shades and white sheers just under crown and all the way across the entire window wall. Your pretty painting can go in the nook, a long mirror is ok in that spot unless you follow Feng Shui.... I like the color of your walls, it's a nice neutral to start adding bold colors of accent to...
Add a bold mix of pillows on the bed, some colorful and some either brown and white or black and white, and if you're really daring, paint the bed bright turquoise. All of these things will make your room less dated, younger and more Bohemian. Good luck!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:42AM
PRO
I think a chair is a great idea. Feels kid if crowded with the love seat. Chair, small ottoman and lamp, update windows.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 7:28AM
PRO
Put lamp in corner by windows. Lamps too close together. Maybe a floor lamp?
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 7:29AM
PRO
I am on a roll". Adding pillows to the bed will also soften everything and bring in color, pattern, texture
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 7:30AM
purplehoneypie
Thank you everyone.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:05PM
PRO
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
It would be fun to put a drape between the sleeping part and the nook part. Something lush and full and in your purple and honey colors. I would add a Moroccan style lamp in the sitting room and mix it up with lots of pillows and a hippie zen look. Your rooms need more color. Kill the old poof curtains on the window. Add tall antiqued mirrors on each side of the bed with different lamps. Pull the colors onto the bed. The current room is to "flat" for the personality you express.
0 Likes   February 1, 2014 at 10:10PM
qofmiwok
I would go with a comfortable chaise longue. It's smaller than a love seat but more comfortable than a chair. Perfect for lying on to read or nap, and also to sit on to put on socks, etc..
0 Likes   September 10, 2014 at 4:38PM