Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Silly ledge over front entry door
Leona N
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
House under construction, and I now realize after adding a front porch, they then altered foyer design and it has a ledge!
How to decorate without it being a cluttered dust catcher?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkendrick23
We have a similar ledge though no window behind it. We were thinking of a heavy tapestry framed by some large vases of different sizes. But honestly we're just not sure what to do with it. It's such an awkward space. I've bookmarked this hoping to get some ideas myself. Good luck and keep us posted.
January 27, 2013 at 8:59AM   
Smitty Lynch
Just an idea...you might consider framing the window with built-in casework. This might be a good space to showcase collectibles - if you are into collecting.
January 27, 2013 at 9:10AM     
Jean Tuck
I think your right about drapes but lght filtering with a couple large vases for interest sake or fake flowers.Cleaning/dusting may be a consideratio to have a tall ladder and ability to do this.
January 27, 2013 at 9:14AM   
Leona N
Oh gosh...I hadn't even thought about the window treatment! Another dilemma.

I think if, like jkendrick, there was no window I might consider a big floor mirror to lean.

But for window...sheers? It's front of house, and from street the foyer chandelier will show through...

Cleaning? I have no way to get up there other than drag a ladder around...
January 27, 2013 at 9:21AM   
kimdee24
Well, no matter what it will have to be dusted now and again. I'd probably use a large vase on one side, and grouping of various heights on the other.

Is that an operable window? If so, how silly!
January 27, 2013 at 9:23AM     
lessismoore
I suppose they did this so you could have a recessed front entry???? Reminds me of the gallery space where the "musicians" are supposed to hide (and play as you enter and exit). If you will have a chandelier there, I wouldn't do a window treatment Maybe two long (light weight) mirrors on either side of window with a faux plant or two? I'm sorry about the dusting ... whatever you do, it will be a pain.
January 27, 2013 at 9:31AM   
Keitha
I was Thinking electric sconces on each side, large enough to make a statement! Put them on dimmers and how beautiful would that be at night!
January 27, 2013 at 9:33AM     
nicholeblaze
Is it too late to ask builder to put a small door/ opening from the SIDE to access it without a ladder? I've seen this before but can't tell how wide your ledge is.

And I wouldn't cover the window with sheers as you do not need privacy through this window. I would do a treatment with stationary knobs on each side at top holding drapes.
January 27, 2013 at 9:41AM     
PRO
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
Consider trimming the top edge of the ledge with crown molding, for a finished look!
January 27, 2013 at 9:53AM     
decoratoreva
Wallpaper with faux bookcases and wood shutters on window. You will never dust this area! I agree with crown molding.
January 27, 2013 at 10:08AM     
minardd1
We have a similar window. This is what we came up with so far.
January 27, 2013 at 10:08AM     
fangprintz
Is that what's also known as a "Juliette's Ledge"? I remember years ago looking for design ideas for a home we were considering & that's what the realtor called it.
How beautiful with the hanging chandelier lit at night!
Is there an outlet up there already? If so I might use a pedestal or a few- with some size appropriate statues or other art objects and up light them with small spot lights.
That may give you softer lighting when the overhead main foyer light will be too bright.
No curtains or shades- too much work& it might clutter your intended look.
January 27, 2013 at 11:19AM     
mac9
Lovely space. I would wood it and forget it. Good luck.
January 27, 2013 at 11:27AM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think keep it simple..no window treatment, no pots or knickknacks. I would add a pair of outdoor louvered shutters to the outside edges of the window, as if they were open. Paint them any accent color that works with your decor or black would be my choice. You could stop there, I however would then add a black wrought iron rail across the outer edge of the ledge..Yes, a real Juliet balcony. Simple looking yet tasteful.
January 27, 2013 at 11:30AM     
fangprintz
Oh yes, balcony sounds much better than ledge! Sorry for the dark visual- but that's what I had heard it called. Thanks BG Designs!
January 27, 2013 at 11:38AM     
trebinje
I think Barbara G. is on to something. My neighbors have a similar, but reversed, design where the front door is pooched out and there's an exterior ledge above the front porch with a big window. Like yours, it's inaccessible from the inside of the house (or the exterior, for that matter), making it entirely useless. They put a wrought iron railing on it. It could be very pretty as a Juliet balcony, if you pick the right wrought iron design to compliment the rest of your home.
January 27, 2013 at 11:49AM     
nicholeblaze
Love Barbara's idea
January 27, 2013 at 1:17PM   
groveraxle
Leave it alone. No drapes, nothing on it to call attention to it at all. Dust it with the furniture extension on your vacuum. No need for a ladder then.
January 27, 2013 at 1:22PM     
PRO
Budget Blinds
Consider faux iron for these windows. If you like the look give us a call http://www.budgetblinds.com Cheers!
January 27, 2013 at 2:21PM   
lfaulkenbery
Barbara I love your idea too! I have a dormer window in my foyer that I have no idea what to do to it! I'm uploading a photo in hopes that you can give me some decorating advice. Thanks!
January 27, 2013 at 2:47PM   
katey5212
I like the iron piece above the doorway in the picture above.

I would replace that window with a single window FOR SURE. I think that is what you are finding to be so odd. Maybe a lead glass window or if your style is more modern, some type of modern casement.

I also suggest a better front door. That , with a single window, might make a lot of difference.
January 27, 2013 at 3:09PM   
MAlps
I would make a mock porch- add some beautiful railing from wall to wall, and pretty window treatment,
January 27, 2013 at 3:59PM     
Susan Mladenovich
I agree with the comment to just ignore it. If you decorate it, you have then made it a feature and will draw attention to it. If you just ignore it, it won't stand out.
January 27, 2013 at 4:03PM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
To "lfaulkenbery"...You have that great metal piece above your door..I would change out my foyer chandelier for something with black iron, or whatever the is color of the door piece (or paint that piece black). I would then purchase a smaller (but bigger than what is there now) version of the new foyer light for in the high window alcove ( maybe a 3 lite piece). I would also replace the glass and grid with a one piece unit of leaded pieces of clear and etched glass for the high window. Next place an 18-20" high wrought iron rail at the front of the opening. Nothing else. If I could not do the glass..oK, but definitely both light fixtures and the rail. The black metal is a uniting factor of the entire space.
January 27, 2013 at 4:13PM     
lfaulkenbery
Katey I'm a little confused about your comment suggesting that I replace the window with a single window? The front door is dated and when I replace it, it will be with a solid door with side lights due to the fact that I am not redoing brick work or stucco on the front of the house. The only other window is a single window in the dormer. That too, is part of the main frame of the house and can not be changed without major work. Therefore, my main concern now is decorating, any remodeling will be in the distant future. Thanks for your suggestions.
January 27, 2013 at 4:16PM   
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
you can finish it with crown molding, i would not put anything there:))
January 27, 2013 at 4:22PM     
putter2
Since you're still under construction, why not box the window in with a wall of moulding, bringing it out to the edge. So the window will look recessed.....
January 27, 2013 at 4:32PM   
3boysthree
Less is more....I wouldn't add anything else that you will have to dust. Moulding and trim work should finish the detail enough.
January 28, 2013 at 2:24PM   
katey5212
So sorry, I assumed you were buying a house under construction and could make changes...if not, then I agree 100% with Sarah. Don't do anything, just add molding and trim. That should be enough. Good luck :-))
January 28, 2013 at 2:51PM   
yazfletch
I would give it punch with moulding alone, without adding more to dust ham the ledge itself. Not exactly what I was looking for to share but hopefully you get the idea. You could go halfway up with wainscoting like in the photo or all the way up to the ceiling. Good luck and please post a pic for us to see what you decided!
January 28, 2013 at 3:06PM   
Leona N
Should the moulding go around the window frame, or the edges of corners and ceiling? (Crown)?

I think I'm leaning towards ignoring it...lol. Should the "ledge" be painted same color as walls, or darker?(it's visible from upstairs landing and a loft).

I think during holidays it'll be a cute place to put something....a Giant Elf with his legs dangling off. A Witch during Halloween. Hubby wants an electrical outlet put in up there...oh great...they're charging per outlet! :(
January 28, 2013 at 3:51PM   
Robyn Buxton
We don't have a ledge but similar plan. Looking at adding wall molding and furniture. Also enhancing the molding around doors
January 30, 2013 at 4:19PM   
peetsoo
I wonder if doing something to the door (punchy colour and / or millwork) will lead the eye to it as the focal point rather than the window and ledge...........if so, keeping the upper part simple might be the key?
January 30, 2013 at 4:28PM     
PRO
Portal Design Inc
I would not add extra trim or shutters to the window above the door, adding more to it will only call attention to itself and draw your attention away from the door. To make dusting easier you could add a painted wood (or MDF) cap to the horizontal drywall, very simple and flat, NOT molding - it will help reduce the amount of dust that sticks to the flat surface. Paint it the same color as the wall to help it disappear.
January 30, 2013 at 4:43PM     
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
I have one of these guys...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lifesize-solid-teak-horse-6-feet-tall-/120953910842?pt=Art_Sculpture&hash=item1c296a363a

...and I sure wish I had a ledge like yours on which to display him!
January 30, 2013 at 4:53PM   
carolannr
Treat the window the same as the rest of the windows in the house (with casing and trim). Leave the window un-curtained if the chandelier over the entry will glow through. In some of our model homes over the years, I had a pair of very fragile antigue chairs I put on either side of the window if the ledge was large enough. Don't think your ledge is large enough for an onslaught of decorative material tho and I would probably leave it bare. Another consideration. do your stairs come down facing the front door? The only way I would consider any kind of drapery on it was if it was a matter of privacy or if the sun beat into that area. Then other remedies have to be considered.
January 30, 2013 at 5:06PM   
stranart
We have 2 of these kind of areas in our house. One over the entry closet and one coming down the stairwell. We have put large plants on both. I don't know why you would worry about a window treatment up there. It would let in great light and no one's going to see in. The one in the stairwell has glass blocks behind it and gives great light for the plant.
January 30, 2013 at 5:08PM   
lionnessone
Install bead board from the ceiling to landing floor and frame it. Frame your window and add two large electric sconces with dimmers to add that dramatic touch. When you paint, treat that wall as one. Keep it simple.

[houzz=English Country][houzz=Pinewold][houzz=Victorian Pool House, Atherton, California]
January 30, 2013 at 5:15PM     
Debra Lloyd
Firstly, do nothing other than trimming up the window...Wait my dear...you have lots of other issues to deal with I'm sure...with a lovely new house...We often make mistakes from trying to do too much right away....Take all these ideas, and tuck them away...It will come to you...
January 30, 2013 at 5:25PM   
katey5212
That picture posted by Robyn Buxton was EXACTLY what I was trying to explain in my first comment, that is the 1 window look with the more ornate door. Since you are not changing the window, then I agree with the less is more option....(I keep getting these comments on my inbox, wow this is a long thread.) Good luck!
January 31, 2013 at 9:22AM   
PRO
Divinity Interior Design
leave it alone. Trim out the window nice and wide. Paint that wall 2 shades darker or lighter than the rest of the surrounding walls. It is not a functional area so big decor pieces will just clutter it up and become a pain to dust. Decorate that space on holidays only. Hope this helps :)
January 31, 2013 at 9:35AM     
PRO
Whitefield & Co, LLC
I would treat this as if the "ledge" were really a balcony. Give it hardwood flooring with the appropriate trim under the nosing, and install a simple, decorative, wrought-iron railing that spans the width. I would treat the window in the a manner that is consistent with the rest of the house; to leave it untreated might appear incomplete.
January 31, 2013 at 9:41AM   
PRO
January 31, 2013 at 9:44AM   
Leona N
Electric blinds or shutters controlled by a remote are a great idea! Won't be able to get up/down to do it otherwise. It's also south facing and will get full sun.
February 2, 2013 at 6:13AM   
Debra Lloyd
What possible reason would you want to cover this window?
February 2, 2013 at 6:30AM   
katey5212
Can anyone tell me how to stop all these emails from coming into my personal email account?
I have looked and can't find any way to opt out if this thread.
February 3, 2013 at 9:00PM     
yonube
Work with the symmetry.A large colorful vase with tall branches on each side of the window would look nice an remote control shades. Good luck!
February 3, 2013 at 9:06PM   
curacaoblue
We have one of these. Don't decorate it. They make a tool to clean it. It a long stick with a sniffer on the end. Or use a stick with a hoop feather for dusting fans. I doesn't collect much duets anyway so don't worry.
February 3, 2013 at 9:12PM     
lessismoore
Katey5212 - on the bottom of the emails (very tiny) ... are two lines of text allow you to opt out. Click the one you want :-)
February 3, 2013 at 11:23PM     
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
OMG!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!! This looks exactly like the entry I helped design with an architect friend. What I did, is there was the Master Bedroom backing up to the right hand side of this window upstairs. I had the architect design it so that the ledge was made wider and became a walk out by adding railing which was put along it. Then I put a door from the master bedroom that walked out onto this space. The door was multipaned with glass, which was the best part and as it was at the far end of the master bedroom, it did not make privacy an issue. My client who has sinced sold the house, as it was years ago, said that was her favorite thing an everyone loved it. It created such character and charm to the entry. It matched the rest of railings that went around upstairs.

I got the idea from the many grand character homes of old Pasadena that I was fortunate to be exposed to as I spent a part of my younger life selling these homes.

Perhaps this might work for you? If it does please let me know, that would be exciting!!
February 3, 2013 at 11:39PM   
bonnieherskowitz
I have the very same ledge over my door, I like the post regarding putting electrical sconces on either side of the window! Has anybody seen a wooden bench positioned on this ledge with pillows?
thanks
Bonnie Herskowitz
February 18, 2013 at 4:08PM   
Leona N
Like the idea of sconces. For mine however, doubt a bench would fit as its probably only 18"?
February 18, 2013 at 4:29PM   
Debra Lloyd
I sometimes think people set up theatrical vignettes in their homes....not sure the purpose...I'd stay far away from that in this case....
February 18, 2013 at 4:59PM   
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I agree with waiting to see what else you need to do to finish the house. But I'd put built-ins and make it a library wall. Obviously you wouldn't be able to use it, and there are tools to use for high ceilings. We just bought one from FrontGate. Haven't unpacked it yet, but we will!
Chrysteen
February 18, 2013 at 5:07PM