powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Guest bath design...stuck! Please help;-)
lindagreg
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Ok, here's a very informal sketch of guest bath in small batten board little red house in wine country with Barnwood trim, corrugated metal...think funky, think outside the box! Want open shower, curbless, and clawfoot tub...what would you experts do? Do not want to see toilet as you are looking down the hall. Wouldn't mind giving up closet on left that is accessed from hallway currently, so you can figure that in...don't want to go to expense of popping out for bay window either.....if I can get away with it...$$$$ .....would sooooo appreciate your ideas...and/or sketches! Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
OK..How about this. Claw foot tub where prev. tub/shower was located. Where the closets are now, put a corner sink. I would use old wood framing and open shelves below. To the left of the door bring out a wall approx 3+' from the door frame. To the right side of the toilet bring a wall out (does not need to go to the ceiling to just conceal the person "sitting". This wallt may even step down from the wall..big zigzag. Use the semi enclosed area for shower. The wall from the door also need not go to the ceiling. Place shower head on most convenient for plumbing. I would tile the area with wide plank wood like tile in a weathered wood tone. I would use it on the floor and walls of the shower. On the window you can have whatever for the privacy part, but hang outdoor type shutters on the outside of a rough wood window frame, on the walls. Center over the tub, identical shutters, only together as if they are closed make a frame around them like on the window, so it looks like another window only shutter closed. Paint the shutters whatever color you would like..I would think maybe a dark red. I also think a may put corrugated metal on the ceiling. Add light fixtures like..do you remember (I'm sure you are not old like me) but they were a round fluted zinc metal shade, kind of flat on top with a light bulb hanging down with a metal cage around the bulb. Maybe several one from the ceiling, one on a bracket near the sink. What do you think? In my head I can see the whole thing and it looks pretty cool.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 10:42AM
lindagreg
Thanks so much for your thoughts on this.....I'm trying to put the tub under the window and place a larger window and lower so landscaping/mountains are viewed from looking down the hall as well as inside the bathroom:-) Corner sink idea good, but not enough room for shower on other side....what are your thoughts on tub under window and just to the right of tub in the corner hang a shower head from ceiling or off the window wall? Have it just be "open"....if not strong pressure, probably won't even splash much...and if it does, what the heck, if floors done in tile...I also need to keep at least one of those closets in hallway (I keep taking OUT closets in this house) maybe take the one out and put the toilet between shower in corner and where that hall closet is?? Maybe some shelves for "stuff" on left of toilet?? Small 36-40" vanity where the one is now??? Love the tin idea either on shower walls or ceiling...a must! :-) Thanks again!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:28PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
WOW about the view..that does change everything. If you use the wood like tile on the floor & walls, simply install a drain where you want the shower water to drain..and of course slant floor slightly to that spot. The open shower is very popular in Europe..the entire room drains to one spot and the shower is completely open...I really like this idea, but it is hard to get people in the US to warm up to it. I like the toilet move as well, and the vanity can be in the original place, but make it as long as the space will allow..drawers and shelves. Install an oval mirror to break up all the straight lines. Add open shelves of the same material on both sides of the mirror for towel and linen storage..It could be a way to add color to the room by linen color choices. I still like the corrugated metal on the ceiling (on the walls with all that water in shower can effect the metal, also I would do all the walls & floor the same will make the room seem larger. Look for the light fixtures I suggested..do you know the kind I mean? They would be so perfect. If you have room to keep both closets and still put the toilet on that wall very near the corner for just a little more privacy it would be good. If not enough room could you take half of each closet out..and make a closet door be just to the right of the room door. (basically turning one closet to the door wall). I love projects like this..working with people with imaginations.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 10:29PM
lindagreg
How would I take half of each closet out??? Can't visualize that one :-( lol.....standing in hallway, was going to take out the left one, leaving an extra 33" inside the room....then it woud be square room with even dimensions all the way around...7'9" x 7"9".......(oops...just realized I drew that wrong.....the right closet is just behind the closet in the bedroom.....so picture that whole square being just the left side if you can.......yes! Love those lights....old style, funky is what I'm doing with this house (or trying to)....thanks alot for your help!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:26PM