powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Monster of a Fireplace...I've never seen anything like it!
jcomama
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Ugh. I don't know what to do with this fireplace that DOMINATES our livingroom. The red carpet will be replace with hardwood, but what should be done with that fireplace??? This pic was taken with previous owners belongings.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deexler79
I think the person who built this wanted it to resemble a tree. I think it neat but can see why you would want to change it.
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 7:17PM
PRO
HERE Design and Architecture
One thought: if you paint the wall around it the color of the mortar, I think that that may both diminish the ominousness of the fireplace opening and highlight the colors of the brick.
2 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 7:19PM
Frankie Malcuit
Wow that's really cool! Have you tried reaching out to the artist to learn more about what inspired him when he was creating the fireplace? It might help you to figure out how to design the space around it.
3 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 7:23PM
Callie Henrichs
After a discussion here, contractor hubby thinks it has a Southwestern feel to it. Not sure about that, but I was intrigued by what he said. He said to put a large dark marble, or stone mantle with big corbels underneath or wrought iron mantle . Then he said to add to add a large wrought iron piece over it. It would break up the dizzy movement, but give the eye something to look at. The movement would become purposeful and more soothing. It's definitely grown on both of us, and I was all for taking it down when I first looked at it. I'm glad you're going to keep it especially with it's art history.
2 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 8:09PM
sms9758
I am not a designer nor an artist but I do wonder why when someone tells us something really ugly was done by an "artist" we should like it and if my 5 year old did this we would get rid of it. I would only keep it if I really loved it no matter it's artistic value. Personally I think this is not art at all but I am not the owner. If you love it keep it if you truly don't then remove it. Once it's gone you may feel free to put your own stamp on the room
7 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 8:26PM
sms9758
Why would you keep this unless you really love it. There are a lot of "artists" that are really lousy. Just because someone calls it art doesn't make it beautiful
4 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 8:28PM
ciao44
I think it's quite beautiful - if you've ever been to Barcelona and seen Gaudi's architecture.....that's what it looks like. Keep it if you like it!
1 Like   March 6, 2013 at 8:49PM
PRO
KSMA
I am so inspired by this fireplace. I love design challenges, and yours certainly presents one. Please do not remove this fireplace. It is one of a kind, and as many have already said, we all strive for uniqueness, to be able to poke our head up above the treeline and see what's out there! Here's a possible direction to take things. The really unfortunate aspect of this brickwork is not the undulation or the asymmetry, it is the edges that just end in almost straight vertical lines on either side. What you should do is find a way to continue the lines of the brickwork out to the sides along the walls. I was thinking that a set of hammered copper panels that continued the undulation of the bricks would be a good way to feather this design into the room, to give it some intention instead of looking like a brick spaceship crashed there. This gives an opportunity to use a bevy of Craftsman Style elements that go with copper, to give the room an earthy feel. It makes the fireplace feel like the trunk of a large tree, as though you built a room around the base of a sequoia. Your idea for the lighting I think is spot on. You can go full industrial with some elements, and it will all come together with an old fashioned, earthy, natural and cozy feel. Really! Like an expensive winter home from the 1920s. I've included a very quick, rough rendering of what I'm talking about, as well as an example of the style of copper that I'm talking about (in the form of a custom fireplace hood).
43 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 9:08PM
Maryl Hershelman
Well I've been scanning all the comments...I lost count an hour ago. Love it. Be careful hiring a "designer" who looks to update every space every 5 years.... Spoffy is a timeless mess....love it; feed it and smile. Think of all of us who for weeks have been commenting....we must see after pics.
5 Likes   March 6, 2013 at 9:18PM
Susan Fox
KSMA....This idea is really going in the right direction. Lovely! Actually softens the look of "our friend" . Good job!
3 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 4:40AM
PRO
John Fasano AIA
Yes...kudos to KSMA..those colors really work with the brick; even if you didn't use copper you could paint the wall that color. Very warm inviting room.
3 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 5:20AM
PRO
John Fasano AIA
question ..have you used it as a firoplace yet?
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 5:23AM
beerpocketbook
The fireplace should have its own reality TV show. Be sure to document all of this, jcorrigan77. The ideas on this page are spectacular. The person who suggested that the stark, defined edges of the fireplace detract from it's appeal is right on target. The copper idea is cool, but I wonder (if budget is a concern) if you might accomplish the same "melding" of the edges by using textured paint on the adjacent walls. I think the room needs to be made part of the fireplace, rather than fitting the fireplace into the room. I am so glad I found all of you creative people on this website!
9 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 5:52AM
designermomalbany
What an opportunity to create an organic comfy space. I admit my first impression was destruction, but it is growing on me...which is the look i would suggest... Remove everything including the track lighting. Paint the walls a warm color...same color all around. That will immediately improve the balance of the room. Add texture but not too many patterns in your upholstery and area rug. I would leave the window bare unless you need privacy or light control. Perhaps consider bamboo panels. Think minimalist. No clutter. Soft lighting and a nice sound system.
2 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 6:10AM
jcomama
Oooh, KMSA! That's so cool! Copper is probably out of our budget...any other ideas for materials? The previous owners had textured wallpaper, but it was old and not in great shape. The ceiling color makes such a difference too!! jfasano, the fireplace is used a couple times a year.
6 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 1:46PM
Susan Fox
jcorrigan77....when I first glanced at KMSA's picture it kind of looked like rough hewn boards laid on an angle on each side of the fireplace from ceiling to floor and from the brick to the corners of the wall...in other words, the whole wall that the fireplace is on. When I finally focused and saw the copper I loved it but could still visualize how the rough boards might look if the copper was too costly. I think the furniture style he chose was perfect. Hope I am making myself clear...this is so much fun!
2 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 2:03PM
studio10001
Would copper foil bring the idea in budget range?
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 2:03PM
PRO
KSMA
You could even use paint if you wanted. But wood or fabric to give it some texture and differentiation would work brilliantly.
1 Like   March 7, 2013 at 2:18PM
studio10001
2'x68' (4mm) on ebay for $480, Nimrod Hall Copper. Placed over a carved foam base?
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 2:20PM
studio10001
If we all chip in a dollar.......
12 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 2:26PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
OMG. It's so ugly. Need to dry wall over it. Go from there. Go on line look at faux stone fireplaces. There are many easy to install. After installed. Paint all walls same color. Get rid of red carpet. If you can go wood or faux wood a lot better. Take dn track lite. Very dated. Replace chairs with sofa, you could go red. Put chairs on either end of sofa facing each other. Put small table on end with lamp. Put floor lamp on other end for light. Coffee round in front of sofa. Paint walls a pale gray with blue under tones. Buy samples and put on wall before buying. On window white panels to the flor, they will not close. Make lamp on table tall large white shade. Fill wall space by firepl with potted silk plants tall big. Large mirror behind sofa.
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 2:31PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Leave chair by firepl. Put large low table next to it. Leave picture on wall. Remove what's on floor. Is this room going into a dining area? If so leave and put in large plants in corners. And art work large on walls. Do not put small pic on walls. Always go large. Plants are always good to fill space in nice pots. If that red carpet is everywhere take it out. If cant afford wood go a lite gray carpet.thoughout.
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 2:37PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Is that real brick or what they call half brick. You might just be able to remove the brick. Make sure they dry wall the hearth also to match. Carpet is the last to go in.
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 2:39PM
onthefence
travisinteriors, you might want to go back and read at least some of the earlier posts.
6 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 2:39PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
When I wrote my comments didnt realize furn was not yours. So forget what I said re furn. Good luck. But the brick has to go!!!
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 2:41PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
You're too funny it does look like a monster that might eat you. I give you credit for over looking this monster when brought this house. I bet a lot of people passed on it. I still think the way to go dry wall it. Buy faux on Internet.
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 2:44PM
onthefence
I really like the suggestions by KMSA, sapphire27 (the felted wool stones), Barnhart Gallery and Susan Mills Design. They all have a very organic feeling to them.

I love the idea of the juxtaposition of the eclectic wild nature of Spoffy against the quieter natural organic elements and shades.

Man, you're writing a pretty amazing family saga here!
4 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 2:46PM
beerpocketbook
jcorrigan77, I am very curious about your house altogether, considering the architect or designer chose this artist to build the fireplace and chimney. What is the architectural style? Did you say it was built in the 70s? Have you found any pictures of what it looked like when it was initially built? What is your taste in style for the other rooms in the house? Have the windows been replaced? If there is a great view to the woods outside that window we can see to the left of the fireplace (and enough privacy), it would be really nice to put in a large picture window with stained wood trim and leave it uncovered; bring some of that woodland inside.
3 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 2:47PM
lionnessone
Oh my, looks like it came straight out of a horror movie. Take a good look at it, looks like the fireplace is actually breathing. I would not be able to sleep at night.
Some people may call this art, I call this; “does not belong.”
May be interesting to look at, but belongs in an art museum not someone’s home,
“Just my thoughts”
Good luck with this unusual looking fireplace.
Personally, I know what I would do.
4 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 3:10PM
onthefence
You know what's funny jcorrigan is that you've known all along ;-) You knew before any of the rest of us did!

In your first response you said " I don't know whether to go white or charcoal grey paint and make that crazy thing a piece of art, or try to go more warm, den, library look."

And six weeks later, it seems that a subtle blend of the looks you mentioned way back when are what everyone seems to gravitate to!
6 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 3:22PM
mckstacy
LOVE KSMA's suggestion to continue the "movement" on the wall next to Spoffy! I understand the $$$ factor with copper, but surely there is an awesome HOUZZER out there that could come up with a look & color that would mimic the copper. What a great community of incredible talent & humor this is!
3 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 3:38PM
nancymic
i finally have to say...it looks anatomical. 'nuf said!
1 Like   March 7, 2013 at 3:55PM
lionnessone
I would bake some bread.
3 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 4:16PM
onthefence
jcorrigan, more than anything, THANK YOU! You've graciously shared your home with us and you've answered ceaseless questions. Thank you for sharing this wonderfully unique aspect of your home and for being so incredibly patient with all of us!
10 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 4:20PM
libradesigneye
YES! Thank you! KMSA's idea to extend down the wall is brilliant - here's a budget option.

In budget you can use faced plywood where you rotate grain on your "puzzle pieces" to carry wave action out. Proud to say I loved this tree trunk from the start when you posted artist portfolio -

Then suggested masonry stain in a taupe (medium brown gray - it will stain the grout too but it does make it darker) so only wave action remains - this combined with a driftwood taupe stain finish on the plywood panels just one shade lighter in the same color family so you have the same tonal quiet over the entire elevation. The whole wall would feel unified.

If you are attached to keeping brick, stain wood the color of the warm element in it. On left - since it is wider, I would be tempted to use panels in an arc to "ground the curves on the left" - like the brick was the big part of a wave and the plywood elements started low in the left corner and rose up in a wave like action to meet the full height of the brick. Still use plywood panels all the way across the wall, but above the wave action, maybe turn the grains all vertical. It gives an "inception" to the piece - like the edge root on a tree.
2 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 4:42PM
jcomama
No, seriously THANK YOU, onthefence and everyone else. This is so much fun and I'm so thankful for everyone's thoughtful input. How generous of you all to donate your time!

beerpocketbook, I don't know how to describe the house; I know little about architecture. Interestingly, I know 2 out of 3 of the previous owners but not the first one. I might be able to get my hands on a pic of the house in early years. There have been changes to the front, side, and rear of the home in the last 20 years (attached garage is now a downstairs master, screened porch is now a dining area, entryway reworked, etc.) It's a little retro? Original casement (sp?) windows, painted wood exterior. Unfortunately, we had to take out a lot of the greenery that's just outside the window in the pic. The 100 year old pines were just too old and too close to the house. We leveled it and seededi it. Nivce to have some flat yard, but now it's not so pretty...a view of the detatched garage. :( My style is transitional, clean lines, uncluttered.

Libradesigneye, so I love what I think you're saying, but I might be a little confused. 2 different materials? Plywood and what? dmldml mentioned cork about 5 weeks ago (see pic). I wonder if that could be shaped and used in your idea??
1 Like   March 7, 2013 at 5:55PM
PRO
Garden's Edge Growers
I think the fireplace is cool looking.
1 Like   March 7, 2013 at 6:00PM
jcomama
Nancymic, are you saying it looks like a bum??!! Hahahaha!!!
2 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 6:05PM
nancymic
yes a bit. color and all. eek.
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 6:18PM
elainemarie77
Maybe you could launch an interior design competition/ make-over contest - best one wins! Keen, young interior designers might jump at the opportunity to hone their talents. What a challenge! Document the whole process and then see if some publication would love to feature it. Great opportunity for an aspiring interior designer here! I think KSMA is hitting the mark. As long as every detail works, and all the elements fit together, this room could look awesome!
6 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 6:38PM
Maryl Hershelman
Working with the monster not against it.....it is alive! You know it's awesome in its hideousness. (%
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 7:01PM
Maryl Hershelman
Dear travisinteriors....the point about reading old posts was not about the furniture but the fabulous- ness of the "THING". It's got everyone's juices flowing. and silk plants? really?

jc77: you want the look of copper for say a penny a square inch? think about it...it was posted earlier here....make it a life time project...only pennies you find in the street. I'm tired...been looking at that cockamamie fireplace too long. good night. my sister in Spain has been drooling over your fireplace by-the-way. You are officially an international smash!
9 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 7:19PM
libradesigneye
Let me try to be clearer. Sorry I don't have visual aids w/ me now - Instead of the copper idea that you seemed to like, but couldn't afford, I'm saying that you could clad the remaining wall with organic shapes of thin faced plywood and /or layered furniture grade wood veneer. DIY The two different materials are your existing brick and the new wood wall cladding in finish grade plywood layered with veneer you glue on top.

Consider layers of wood - faced plywood base and then wood veneer cut into "puzzle shapes" glued on top. Imagine that you start on the left wall and put full sheets of plywood with horizontal grain stacked behind as your base. These would glue and finish nail in. This is like your background. You can do the same with one sheet on the other side of the fireplace cut in half and stacked. Just think you want to keep grain running sideways as a base behind.

Then your puzzle pieces can be layered on top of these. You could use the thinner veneer wood with the 3m glue backing and layer them on top of each other as needed - then they don't have to fit exactly when you cut them out - you can play with what edge to leave on top where they meet. This will create more dimension but this is good since your brick pops out from the wall itself.

You can mock up the shapes with butcher paper, then cut them out yourself with a jigsaw or for the veneer, a french curve and a utilty knife. see http://www.eaglebaywood.com/veneers/index.html
The trick is that you are turning the wood sheets at a variety of angles to cut them into your puzzle pieces so the grain becomes an extension of the brick wave lines (like his drawing - but with conscious attention to where the direction of the wood grain is).

Using 4 x 8 sheets of furniture grade veneer wood, you wouldn't have any shapes bigger than 3'6 x 5' to keep the organic lines going and could map this out first so you can buy the right number / size of smaller veneer sheets if you like. Cutting out puzzle pieces will take time and care, but the price is right on materials.

Cork as an option would add another texture too, but it doesn't have the linear grain that the wood will bring to visually extend the "waves" in the brick and I think it will ultimately be a more expensive material. Also, it is the color that it is - it can't really go lighter like wood can though I've seen it darker.

Some other threads on fireplaces made me think about one more thing that might make all the difference to you. If you want to keep the original brick, the light tones are good in the small room. One change that might make a huge difference is to have a mason come in and point it back and grout it with light colored grout to match the majority cream color in the brick. This will make the wall much less busy since it takes the strong contrasting grout lines out - when he built this, no one was coloring grout like we do now - gray was his only choice. If he did it today, I'm certain he would select a matching grout color to let his waves shine rather than the grout.

This is not a do it yourself job but it should only be about a two day job with not much materials cost if you want to get it priced. I would rather have a more modern look with a one tone brick and would probably stain it all out mid-tone brown-gray, but that is the first step I would take before I decided.

So your "homemade art" wood wall could be either stained natural to echo the honey tone in the brick or white washed with a warm cream paint to echo the lighter elements in the natural brick. If you decide to stain brick, you can stain the wood on the wall one shade lighter. The idea is to unify the whole wall
1 Like   March 7, 2013 at 7:27PM
Caitlin Crosse
Keep it, and, just do the rest of the room in the colour on the wall with the fireplace on it - or a colour that has an association with the brick work. Also, paint the trim white.
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 7:37PM
Your fireplace is on crack! Get rid of it,
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 8:23PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Please DO NOT try to extend the fireplace design or create anything else similar to it, it will only look added on as if you didn't know what else to do. If you try to create a "feature" wall, you will create another hard corner. What is needed is the walls to remove the corner effect, this will allow the fireplaces curves to look more intentional. If you look at the walls where they meet the light and the dark, you will see what I mean by this. The walls from the fireplace and continuing around the room, need to be light, soft, atmospheric. No corners, where two colours or materials meet.

That line, where the two meet makes the fireplace look wrong. Open up the room, pale recedes! Dark brings forwards. Simple rods over the windows with light linen drapes, simple, simple, simple! This is an addendum to my previous posts, can't seem to quit this!
4 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 8:40PM
PRO
Archetype Inc.
If the fireplace works well without smoke backing up, meaning that it draws properly, don't destroy it.
It's nifty and was created by a pretty sophisticated mason.
It is sort of voluptuous in it's own right.
2 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 8:49PM
studio10001
We got seven yeahs for the copper kitty-come on , kids, whataya say? Cough one up for Snoffy! (jcorrigan, be it magazine articles, film, calendars or web marathon, there is a budget making idea in here somewhere, man, as God is my witness .....)
5 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 9:01PM
PRO
It's a Beautiful World!
If you don't feel like tearing it apart here is an idea. If one artist created it, perhaps, you could find another one who could follow its curves and apply paint in 2 or 3 colors/shades you like and that can work together. This way you will transform an old art piece into a new one. You can then use these colors to paint the walls and also in your decor in the rest of the room. Best of luck!... Raisa
2 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 10:01PM
PRO
Grapevine Realty
What the heck??? That is the craziest thing I have ever seen! I think it would be so cool painted! Why don't you paint it white or light gray or maybe even red. It would be a nice design under paint and not so blinding!
0 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 10:18PM
Maryl Hershelman
And the comments go on....in the middle of the night, at that! That wall doesn't need any more than just the right shade of paint....Ralph Lauren makes a suede finish in grey to match the grout...and increase baseboards to 12'....they look piddley.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 4:14AM
beerpocketbook
Jcorrigan77, thanks kindly for answering my questions. I was re-reading some of the comments and somewhere along the line, someone suggested removing 1/2 inch of the grout and replacing it with a grout color that is more subtle and closer to the color of the bricks. I was also studying the outside chimney: is the grout the same color on this sculpture as it is on the fireplace? It looks more subtle, a little closer to the brick color. Is it possible one of the previous owners already tampered with the grout on the fireplace? You are sort of the "curator" of this brick sculpture, but if the grout color is not the same as on the outside chimney, I think you could safely change it on the fireplace without doing any "sacrilege" to the original design!
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 4:31AM
Steffi Bosgoed
Looks like someone escaped the Shire and built a hobbit chimney... You could plaster the whole chimney and paint it in a beautiful sand shade of cream color that runs along the rest of the wall.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 4:39AM
patti1123
Santa may have issues with this one.
9 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 4:57AM
bevballew
If you personally do not want it get it covered with something you would like that protects,it from being ruined. That way you will,have the best of both worlds! It will be protected by being covered.
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 5:15AM
Elif Memisoglu
If you plan on painting maybe this would be a good reference. Lighter between bricks and variations of cream and gray. Maybe the use of texture and smooth surfaces in antoni gaudi architecture can help with decor. Even changing the bottom of the fireplace with textured base.
2 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 8:15AM
Susan Fox
Brilliant suggestions from everyone...and what an amazing variety, but people PLEASE...this is an actual work of art by an established artist! To paint or change it in ANY way is not cool! Like it or don't like it but the artist's work MUST NOT BE CHANGED!! We need to figure out a way to bring the room to " IT". Look at the interest this thing has generated so far and it is still going strong. It stopped being "just a fireplace" a long time ago.
5 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 8:53AM
DIAspoton
i thought it was cool when 1st posted and i still do. the room just needs artistic/quirky furnishings to play to it.
2 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 9:01AM
carole
keep coming back to look at your fireplace,and i think you should keep it too!!!
2 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 10:40AM
Jill Pertuso
Ditto!
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 10:43AM
Lizabeth
Wow just wow. What a litmus test this piece of art and this thread shows just how polarizing art can be. I saw this thread in the corner for weeks and finally took the time to read it all in one big meal. I love the conversation that it provokes and I loved reading of those whose feelings toward it changed and evolved. It really is a deep piece that speaks to the nature of beauty and our ability to see beauty in all things.
Some great ideas already put forth on how to intergrate this work into the rest of the room.
Those of you who appeciate the organic nature of the work may want to check out Patrick Dougherty at www.stickwork.net
5 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 10:53AM
studio10001
OK, this is an incomplete notion, but here goes: if the idea of softening the edges is still looking good to you, what about using canvas gessoed to replicate the shape you would have had from the copper and then painting the "finish" on...it's a technique used for the stage to create all kinds of things, and Jul313Gallery just posted some work that reminded me of your colorways(she's showing a marbelized effect with it).It can be fireproofed, shaped and/or blended with other maleable materials before giving it a hard finish..this time I am sending you to your local university theatre dep't for artisans, as it takes a particular skill set to pull off.
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 11:06AM
kirtiratnam
I think it's absolutely beautiful! I hope you don't decide to tear it down or cover it up. :-) Some ideas: A natural tree slab mantle flowing off onto the wall towards the window would break up the height and draw the eye away from it a bit. This could be stained to the same colour as the hard wood floor. Clad the base in wood or stone. Keep the walls a clean white. If the FP is still too loud for the room you could consider painting the brick above the mantle white as well. Natural textured white walls above the little shelf will also help the brick blend more into the room instead of the smooth plaster look in the photos.
2 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 12:05PM
kirtiratnam

A rough hewn mantle like this counter may look nice against the brick?
2 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 12:13PM
babette14
Well I have used up about an hour , drawn like the rest of you to Spoffy our now beloved eyesore, Starts out a YUCK then becomes a querry,Now a cause. I love the organic idea, mono tones and fix that base and opening, Plants staggered upward playing up that ledge on the one side and the little direction low on the other. I would never destroy it but personally would go with the suggestions given in the grey road, dark floors and great lines and natural hobbit look. But I like those natural chairs and such from North Carolina....
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 1:05PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I keep getting email updates about this thread and just checked back. I had one more idea: what about using (what I have always heard referred to as) Carolina siding on the LR wall - this would be easy to do and would bring the organic touch really easily into the room.

I would scribe it to the FP so the whole thing looks like one piece.
3 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:26PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Wow - look at this!

12 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:31PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Here is another photo of the Carolina siding with stone and brick used together in a very charming way. The clinker bricks actually kind of remind me of your FP

3 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:36PM
bonnieth
Wow, took me a long time to catch up! I love unconventional ideas and artistic expressions. I think it will be fun to create a warm, cozy space. And.....if it is hungry, feed it some wood!!
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 1:47PM
natterbug03
I think if you paint it you will loose the artistry. I would make it the focal point (as it is anyway) and go with it. Maybe bring in some other pieces to compliment the brick color. If you paint it it will just look like an awkward color blob.
2 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 3:27PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Got my Crate & Barrel catalog today and it has two items for Spoffie's room: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/search.aspx?query=stone%20stool
5 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 5:25PM
Maryl Hershelman
I just come back to visit every day....the brain power and creativity just never seems to end, does it? Ok, it's been weeks since the first post...what have you done besides read posts and actually live your life? So many good ideas have been thrown at you....it's like trying to figure out what cold medicine you need when there are literally hundreds. Thinking back to Contact and simpler times.
0 Likes   March 8, 2013 at 9:58PM
zindor
I will echo studio10001's thought about marketing this design dilemma. This project already has a dedicated following, so it could be something that might grow further, assuming that the idea does not scare you too much. I would love to see a design magazine pick up this project and publish different professional's idea photos for the decor. Even a cable station such as HGTV or DIY could do a special on the project. Perhaps you could even get your design choices paid for through the publicity. Houzz has a winning story with this already, so you may also find a way to profit for the benefit of your house and family.
10 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 7:45AM
Susan Fox
I agree with Zindor...would LOVE to see this project go to DIY or HGTV. This might even grab the attention of John Spofforth..the artist responsible.
4 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 8:03AM
studio10001
Thanks, zindor. I will continue introducing the thought periodically in the thread until Powers That Be reach out a Hand to J Corrigan, or vice-versa. Anybody out there go any contacts?!
1 Like   March 9, 2013 at 9:49AM
mckstacy
WARNING TO JCORRIGAN: You never know when you might get a SURPRISE VISIT from HGTV's guy that likes to hang around inside Home Depot & then follow people home to mess with their stuff...DON'T LET HIM MESS WITH SPOFFY! Even if OPRAH & NATE BERKUS show up at your door - HANDS OFF THE SPOFFster!!!
12 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 1:05PM
onthefence
KSMA - I just went back and looked at your copper mockup photo again. That is SO COOL. I will say that when I look at it on my monitor, it almost looks like varying types of wood in different stains. Could something like that be made to work?
3 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 10:30PM
lc29
I just wanted to comment if the color of the grout disturbs you there is a paint type product that can be brushed onto the grout. Used it once for grout that came out a lot darker than envisioned. I do think the artist proportions are a little off. The size of the fireplace for the room, the small size of hearth, etc. and I cant quite figure out why he pointed the open towards the outside wall. Artistic license, I guess!
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 11:56PM
PRO
KSMA
Onthefence, I absolutely agree that wood panels would be beautiful. That's a great idea because the grain can be rotated to match the brick direction for that area. It might be a much more affordable, and even diy direction to go in. Just a veneered plywood would be nice, even, if you can find a way to hide the edges with a trim piece or something.
1 Like   March 10, 2013 at 12:04AM
onthefence
Just had another thought although I'm not sure how it would be implemented. What about rust wall paint?

I just did a quick search for rust wall paint and found these patinas from a professional faux finisher. I do like the look! http://www.terrafaux.com/home/metal-patina/metal-paint-patinas
6 Likes   March 10, 2013 at 12:28AM
gmfarrell
Onthefence, I love that rust paint, but I wonder if it would compete with the fireplace for attention, rather than complimenting it.
0 Likes   March 10, 2013 at 3:23PM
vacox
I love the fireplace and it sounds to me like you will make this a lovely room... It sounds like a wonderful property. Congratulations!
1 Like   March 10, 2013 at 4:09PM
Ramona
Why don't you contact the artist and ask him what he feels about it. I agree with other postings that the problem in this room is scale and the cookie cutter nature of the home/room. Perhaps he completed this project knowing about those issues but ignoring them because of the home owner's wishes or even his own experimentation. This might be a dead end and/or the artist might now be happy or cooperative, but it would be enlightening for you.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 12:32AM
maggiemae0552
as Beyonce said....."if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it..." keep it
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 2:10AM
chanored
It is quite unusual but its art. I would try built-in book cases flanking each side. Perhaps free floating shelves, dark wood, with books and family pics of all sizes sitting on them. It might draw the eye toward the wall and not just the fire place. My first thought would have been to replace it but after reading the artist bio, I would try to work with it. Oh yes, track lighting out. - recessed in. Good luck! I'm sure it will work out.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 3:16AM
tkc9po
Perhaps the grout could be lightened? Then the walls could be painted in a color pulled from the bricks themselves to make the fireplace flow with the wall better. Hardwood floors will help also as the bricks have an earthy tone to them (depending on the color you go with). I would change the paint and floors and empty the room before you decide to do anything else. I wouldn't paint over the brick until you looked into changing grout color and I would contact the artist about that first as he may have the best idea of how to go about that. Art built into the structure of the home is always tricky as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the fireplace is an awesome piece of art/craft that has a wretched "frame". We have a builder special brick fireplace with white mantel plunked on top that I just despised until I painted the surrounding wall a different color and removed the brass doors. Cleaned it up a little and now I don't mind it at all (wouldn't choose it from scratch but THAT is usually a different story!) Perhaps this creation needs a little TLC and pampering to really shine.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 4:11AM
tkc9po
Oh yeah, and get rid of the track lights!!!!! Some recessed lights and window treatments on the picture window will help a lot.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 4:12AM
tkc9po
I see now the previous person painted the wall in the darker shade of the brick, try the lighter end of the spectrum (think linen?, and lightening the grout) and throw some linen drapes on the windows and the whole effect may be really softened
1 Like   March 11, 2013 at 4:13AM
tkc9po
Try a grey area rug on the hardwood that matches the hearth top.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 4:14AM
4 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 6:20PM
kimdee24
Perfect! It reminds me of that old nursery rhyme:

There was a crooked man, and he walked a crooked mile.
He found a crooked sixpence against a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse,
And they all lived together in a little crooked house.
4 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 6:27PM
mrsmarycourt
We were searching for a way to brighten up our dark fireplace and found a product called Brick Anew... Basically three neutral color palettes to choose from, but keeps the look of brick instead of a flat-look... $200 online, a small investment before covering? Good luck!
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 6:33PM
bevballew
That is so cute! Where is the building at lilion...what city?
0 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 6:33PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
One of my favorite people is a crooked man. Physically and humorously, not morally.
2 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 9:22PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
8 Likes   March 16, 2013 at 8:16PM
Lilly nunes
Oh goodness i would put a huge curtain in front of it. And never let anyone open it.
1 Like   March 16, 2013 at 8:48PM
apennameandthata
If he was not famous, you could use this.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 12:54AM
julielen
it is so oddly interesting, I agree with keeping it - at least for a while. I'd go neutral every where else. Just neutral paint and painting the trim and getting rid of the track lighting and the new floor... then sit with it for a year or two and see what kind of inspiration you get.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 3:51AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Kathryn Peltier, yes on the lamp! Spoffie want!
1 Like   March 17, 2013 at 8:17AM
studio10001
Studio want, too!
2 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 11:26AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi Spoffie -- I missed you, and I felt like checking back and seeing some of my personal favorites in your room. So here you are with some grey canvas drapes and Rossio Cork from Lumber liquidators. Jcorrigan's lighting I couldn't wait to see, and it looks great! I wonder if J has looked under that red rug, because stained concrete might be cool for you too. And J's idea of a lighter hardwood might be okay.
Anywhooo...as long as you're waiting for your new digs, you might find some artsy stuff you like if you search for the textiles of Valentina Ramos. Her frog and owl reminded me of you. Keep bein' Spoffie and stay you. -K Barnhart
20 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 3:45PM
jibbon
The fireplace is the most redeeming element in the space. Once you get rid of that carpet, white the walls and bring the furniture into the middle of the room - it'll rock. Ultimately I'd consider a deck on the outside and glass on the chimney wall so it floats in its natural organic state outside/inside. PLEASE don't paint it or tear it down - take the house down first and rebuild around the fireplace!
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 4:35PM
Ed
Amazing! :)
1 Like   March 19, 2013 at 3:27AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
jibbon -- indoor/outdoor Spoffy is intriguing indeed. Picturing him open on both sides is reminding me of a storied trip through the redwood forest...
1 Like   March 19, 2013 at 7:25AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
OMGoodness, anyone remember "The Gnome Mobile?" LOh no L!
1 Like   March 19, 2013 at 7:27AM
vacox
Barnhart Gallery, I follow this fireplace discussion and when I saw this comment in my email I thought you were talking about my montage from my discussion. My stomach flipped over, I though OMG, my montage reminds him/her of the GNOME mobile?!?!?
0 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 7:40AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
LOL vacox -- you remember the movie? Should've been an MST3K.
0 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 9:01AM
nevadan
I agree with jibbon. While not a work of art, the fireplace is original and an interesting piece of craftsmanship. The room, on te other hand, is dreary. Does the fireplace work well, i.e., draw?
0 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 12:04PM
PRO
Distinguished Flooring LLC
Looks frightening to me
0 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 9:04AM
PRO
Don vonAhlefeld, Hayes Cabinets Inc.
Wow! If you are going to keep the fireplace then I think you ought to keep the red carpet too. They set each other off. This thing needs to go away, and the guy that thought it was a good idea to build it, needs either an intervention, or better drugs.
0 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 9:14AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Forgot to add in the felted rock pillows that sapphire27 suggested some time back; I like those for Spoffie too.
19 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 9:14AM
jcomama
Well, there is no shortage of honesty around here!! ...which I can appreciate! I also appreciate my fab husband who has been working his butt off installing can lights and ripping out the sea of red berber!! Virtual cheers!! Yay!! Oh, and I love my quasi SIL who got the hardwood ordered after putting up with insane amounts of indecision!

Barnhart, how the heck do you do those mockups?? What program? I'm not interested in trying to learn Photoshop, but if anyone knows of cheaper, simpler software...? Also love your enthusiasm!! :)
20 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 6:26PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Glad for the update jcorrigan -- I had great design software that didn't transfer to my new computer when I upgraded, so for now I'm using the humble MS Windows Paint program that most of us have. What hardwood did you choose? I really do like the lights you found. And glad you have "Team Spoffie" helping to get the work done.

I hope you'll get a pleather-bound photo album in which to keep a printout of all of these comments to place on a burled wood coffee table in the Spoffie room for posterity and amusement. Looking forward to your next update!
4 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 7:42PM
Chase
Oh god I love this! Damn, back in bachelor days this alone would have sold the house for me. It is a bit unsettling, but this thing deserves a places at MOCA. It's wildly fantastic. Keep it!
4 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 7:58PM
Amy Thompson
Turn it into Weekend Renovation TV! They would love to redo this for you and you can get on TV!
2 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 8:29PM
Sue So
Keep Spoffy alive!
3 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 8:54PM
onthefence
After 3 working days this week that feel like 3 months, it's nice to come here and see Spoffy's smile ;-) Additionally, it always makes ME smile seeing Barnhart Gallery dress him SO well.

Three cheers to...
jcorrigan for keeping the fans updated!

jcorrigan's DH for going into battle with red berber - and WINNING. And then giving Spoffy some light!

jcorrigan's quasi-SIL for understanding that big decisions take time.

Barnhart Gallery for keeping Spoffy surrounded by the latest and greatest ideas.

And mostly to Spoffy and the fan club who salutes conventionality with a resounding raspberry!
8 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 9:03PM
Susan Fox
Do I detect a change in attitude creeping in with our contributers? Seems to me that I am seeing more Spoffy lovers chiming in lately than I do Spoffy haters . This is a good thing in my opinion.

Barnhart Gallery, I nominate you as the fan club president, as JCorrigan 77 is already Spoffy's owner and has her work cut out for her just maintaining Spoffy's image. Also love the idea for an album of all these comments....a "baby book" of sorts which could be presented to a prospective buyer in the event that JCorrigan should ever decide to sell. It might just be a selling feature showing how much interest Spoffy has generated.

I, for one, hope this site stays open for some time, as I have fallen in love with Spoffy and look forward to my email box each morning. I know that JC and her family actually have a life outside of all this and will eventually need to move on, but I do hope before they do that they post a parting shot of Spoffy in all his glory.

Thanks for all the fun and keep the comments coming.
8 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 4:49AM
palindrome388
I think it would look nice covered in 1" blue glass tiles. Then it might look like a waterfall and be less jarring than the crazy brick pattern that's going on now.
1 Like   March 21, 2013 at 4:59AM
jcomama
You guys are the best!! I wish we could all meet up for drinks...in my livingroom of course! ;)
14 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:22AM
Sue So
I'd serve Spoffitinis! Spoffaritas!
5 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 9:38AM
onthefence
I'll bring a tray of Spoffitizers. The best part is that thinking of a hostess gift for jcorrigan is a snap!
4 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 10:52AM
peetsoo
Just chiming in to say I too am enjoying the input from the save the fireplace fan club :) I find myself checking in on the newest ideas and comments each evening with my coffee........ love the suggestions ...particularly those from Barnhart Gallery and KMSA. I also really enjoy the updates from jcorrigan 77. Not sure how I' ll feel when renos are all done though....feeling a little invested in this project from a distance now...........will need a new hobby.....or a photo of Spoffie in my own home so I don't experience withdrawl. This thread has brought smiles and chuckles to many I'm sure.....
9 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 4:16PM
studio10001
It is perhaps time for another SPOFFY PSA: Writers, film makers, artists,design pros seeking audition tapes for HGTV and Masters candidates seeking thesis material: You can be famous from working on spec!! Please send all detailed pitches to jcorrigan care of Save The Spoffster. By including copies to the following: this site, HGTV, Traditional Home, Archetectural Digest, The Smithsonian, National Geographic, Popular Science, PBS and that guy your Aunt Betty knows that won a daytime Emmy in set design last year - you can save the hands of jcorrigans' rug -ripping husband and end the despair of dozens of Houzzers who are silent(!) witnesses to Spoffy's international abuse at the hands of brick haters everywhere. Don't delay- Help Jcorrigan save Spoffy today. You'll be glad you did. Thank you.
8 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 6:44PM
Susan Fox
Much to my surprise, when I Googled John Spofforth this morning, attempting to learn more about the man, I found that our Spoffy has made it to yet another site! On page two of Spofforth's site there is a heading that reads ....Fireplace by John Spofforth-Home Decorating and Design Forum....I clicked it, and lo and behold, there was OUR Spoffy with another community discussing him!!! The link was Gardenweb.com.

I don't know how I feel about this ! JC,are you ready for the notoriety ? Yikes!!!

Please, someone check me out on this...did I get this wrong or is our Spoffy going "big time"?

JC...I fear you may be giving tours of your home soon if Spoffy's popularity continues to swell. At least that would be one way to pay for his redo.

Chin up...we are there for you!!!
3 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 5:30AM
bonnieth
Yes, I can see him going viral!!
2 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 11:08AM
furrytoes
I love this conversation! Please, jcorrigan, post some "work in progress" pictures.

Just spotted on Houzz: Spoffy's country cousin
Energy Efficient Lakeside Retreat 1
Energy Efficient Lakeside Retreat 2
8 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 11:46AM
sapphire27
Aw furrytoes. You posted them first. :)
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 4:26PM
furrytoes
@sapphire27: Great minds think alike!
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 4:47PM
Jayme H.
The plant in "Little Shop of Horrors"...screaming...."FFEEEED ME SEYMOUR"...has come to mind when I look at this FP...Not meant to be an insult at all...
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 5:04PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Here's a link to the site I think Susan found this morning: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0216212428474.html?10

And click here to see Spoffy's big daddy, as mentioned by jakabedy on the above site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39455884@N00/5594448691/
4 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 5:10PM
krenzi
Paint it. Out a neutral shade on the walls, light gray or cream in eggshell, and the bricks in the same color semigloss.
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 5:12PM
Susan Fox
Barnhart GalIery...Is that what Spoffy is going to become when he grows up?
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 5:15PM
Jayme H.
The Plant

No offense intended ..please do not take any.
4 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 6:05PM
mckstacy
JCorrigan - gotta say - all this Spoffattention is keeping me smiling! Please keep the Spoffy Fan Club up to date, especially pics of the work in progress. And yes, wouldn't it be GREAT if we all met (wherever Spoff's geographical location is!) for the UNVEILING?!!! Seriously. You could just have an OPEN HOUSE over a weekend. Charge an admission "viewing fee" to recoup some $$'s. I'll bring Spoffamole & Chips.
3 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 9:58PM
actonfam
Please don't do anything to this fireplace!!! It's AMAZING!!
3 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 9:23AM
studio10001
I'll make Spoffitos
3 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 1:09PM
jessfikan
I think this is sublime, I'd keep it and relish it.
2 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 1:38PM
porjanie
I love that fire place. The problem is everything around it. They are just not on the same level of design, too straight and staid. Also you need to have more warmth and earthy colors brought in.
2 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 7:29AM
Caitlin Crosse
Do matching red paint or wall paper to the carpet on the walls, either side of the the brick.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 5:09PM
ch13
chioma iroegbu wow this house is great but need more touches in terms of color,planing,department of home science of nutrition can be of web.check out this website for more details. http://www.unn.edu.ng/department/home-science-nutrition-and-dietetics
0 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 3:49AM
Kivi
My first reaction was "what the ..." However, upon refection letting its look settle in for me...and some further understanding of the artist, I would embrace it. I would say clean the brick inside, and on the outside of the house, but them work the rest of the room to harmonize with the look and feel. Honestly, now I think you have a gem on your hands, you just need to set the stage. I think Jeffery Brookes Interior design had some great ideas for the flooring etc....
I think you have a unique and exciting project on your hands.
1 Like   March 26, 2013 at 4:26AM
PRO
3DCGI
You have to keep the fireplace. ...The fireplace is a incredible piece of artwork !

It really is all about how you deal with the rest of the space, that will ultimately determine the quality of this room. If you treat the artist's work with consideration and respect you will further enhance it's position within the room.

The application of mirrors to the adjacent walls will only add to the 3D qualities of this artwork and improvements to the lighting, wall and flooring finishes will ultimately create a space that will work with whatever furniture you put in.....and it should.

We think that it could look a little something like this...
63 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 8:16PM
PRO
3DCGI
The Before Shot....
0 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 8:16PM
Dee Gilliam
Late to the party but... This work of art, while not my taste, could be quite beautiful. If you can envision bringing the outdoors inside and laying a rustic wood floor perpendicular to the base of the fireplace which could be sandblasted to make it less ominous, it could be quite lovely.
0 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 8:55PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hmmm, 3DCGI -- I like the mirror. I don't want to be the one to try to cut it to fit seamlessly, but I do like it. Interesting thought. jc?
3 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 9:20PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Sheesh, good thing poor Spoffie has a thick skin.
0 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 9:24PM
Christy Olinger-Piccione
I'm sorry but I think it is beautiful! My fireplace is the center point if my house I wish it had a funky twist like that! Post after pic please;)
0 Likes   March 26, 2013 at 9:33PM
carole
have any changes been made,would love to see an update on spoffie,please???
2 Likes   March 27, 2013 at 4:51AM
cattfamily2012
Is there any chance that fireplace was originally two stories tall?
I have, like many others, transitioned from "oh how weird" to that is so "cool". I googled John Spofforth and after reading his biography and the intent behind his art, it is easier to understand "Spoffy". Congratulations for having such a stimulating Decorating Dilemna!
1 Like   March 28, 2013 at 8:11PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Awww, looks like someone else warmed up to Spoffie...the post I was responding to above was deleted.
1 Like   March 28, 2013 at 8:22PM
cattfamily2012
I vote for the design that incorporates the mirrors flanking the fireplace. The fireplace truly becomes the piece of art it should be. I like how the mirrors give it a freestanding illusion and, also, enlarge the feel of the room.
2 Likes   March 28, 2013 at 8:49PM
PRO
3DCGI
Thanks cattfamily2012!........What do you think jcorrigan77?
1 Like   March 29, 2013 at 1:18AM
PRO
The Victorian Fireplace
Frame forward of the brick with metal studs, rework the brick opening then finish the redone fireplace wall with normal brick or stone . Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....or in this case, the eye of the mortgage holder!
0 Likes   March 29, 2013 at 9:42AM
zindor
CH13, if you are a real person, please avoid posting comments that look like internet spam.
0 Likes   March 30, 2013 at 10:48AM
Dan Daugherty
Wow...A Lot to read up there... Has anyone suggested working with the fireplace instead of fighting it? Here is a perfect opportunity to accent something artistic with something artistic.

Imagine a Metal sculpture created using the contours of the fireplace to increase the appeal of the room and add more drama. Awesome opportunity to get outside the box.

Sometimes embracing the difficulty is the answer.
0 Likes   March 30, 2013 at 11:40AM
Amy Torres
Also late to this party but read all 546 messages (whew!) Really do like the image with the blue stone hearth and mirror to draw attention to Spoffy.... (also had to post on this thread so I will get to see the updates.) Embrace individuality!
1 Like   March 30, 2013 at 11:54AM
johnnyboy3
Re the 3d image of the proposal: Great solution to the design - especially the mirrors. Also, this is a great facility for people to visualise their ideas really quickly. Wonder if this site could offer this 3d service? Would be very interesting if the cost was affordable. What are other people's thoughts?
0 Likes   April 1, 2013 at 5:30PM
lake1114
I say RUN!! LOL Seriously, if you like it live with it the way it is, if you don't like it, I would dry wall around it and leave the structure intact. Whether you like it or not, it is a piece of art and someone else might love it and it may possibly be worth something now or someday. Good Luck!
0 Likes   April 1, 2013 at 6:16PM
Veronica S Anderson
Jcorrigan, by what you have described it sounds like your home is wonderful. Keep Spoffy! Maybe get a photographer and chronicle the work, then get a publisher and sell as a coffee table book. Maybe even due house tours to offset the costs.

By
0 Likes   April 1, 2013 at 6:20PM
Susan Fox
Well, it looks like interest in "Spoffy" has mellowed a bit. I hope JCorrigan didn't get overwhelmed!
Seriously though, there are a ton of wonderful ideas here and I really hope we get to find out which direction you choose . My favorite is from 3DCGI, and if the mirrors are too costly then I think a plank wood treatment on either side would be just as nice. What I have learned from most of the suggestion is that it is the whole room blending together that will make the difference.....not just fixing the fireplace... and I feel like 3DCGI showed us a very good example of simplicity. "Spoffy" looked very happy in that setting! Best of luck to you and please keep your fans updated.
2 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 6:57AM
studio10001
We are all just waiting for the unveiling....
2 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 12:32PM
feeny
But no pressure.....;-)
1 Like   April 9, 2013 at 12:45PM
peetsoo
....I'm just ready with the drumroll.............
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 1:15PM
PRO
Oellien Design, Inc.
Wow,,,,,,,,,,this is a first. I have never seen anything like this before. I hate to say this but I would have to demo brick facade off and replace it. Anything you do to work around this element does nothing for the value appreciation of your home. This detail is not something that most people would enjoy or appreciate. Rent a jack hammer and slowly remove the brick. Good Luck.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 1:35PM
studio10001
(rent some glasses and slowly read the thread?)
9 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 3:51PM
Jan Stevens
I would leave the facade as is as painting it will ruin its value. After all it is a named artist that created the structure. I would paint the surrounding walls the medium to dark gray to frame and highlight the bricks....like a mat around a photo. then I would paint the remaining walls the lighter version of the dark grey accent wall. The wood floor tone could relate in color to the beige of the bricks. and then keep all furnishings clean simple no frills letting the fireplace be the main element in the room.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 4:11PM
PRO
3DCGI
Thanks Susan Fox ! We're glad that you like the option in the render !
1 Like   April 12, 2013 at 7:19PM
Darzy
Olellina Design...give it a few more days and come back. Many who have hated it have come back and changed their mind about it. Odd, this "guy" grows on you. :)
2 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 7:28PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Indeed Darzy, and for some of us it was love at first sight.
6 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 8:14PM
jcomama
Ugh! Houzz hates my iPad. :(. Really hard time making posts and desktop was disassembled in the flooring process! Can't upload pics either! :(. Just wanted you all to know we're still able to at least read your posts!! :)
11 Likes   April 13, 2013 at 7:36AM
Callie Henrichs
We're patiently waiting for the final results jcorrigan77. :o) I'm sure it will be worth the wait too.
4 Likes   April 13, 2013 at 7:55AM
lesmiles4
I'm new here. That fireplace is crazy!!! Good luck.
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 2:38PM
Christine Robertson
Sounds like you are in the middle of renovations. I am looking forward to the result.
0 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 7:15PM
Susan Fox
JCorrigan, as Callie H said, we are patiently waiting to see the big reveal. I understand the computer situation so just get back to us when you can please.
Glad you are still reading our posts...I check this feed almost every day. Sounds like you have chosen a flooring solution and the project is underway. Good luck with that. These projects take a lot of time so hang in there. I am sure you are going to love whatever you choose as your design.
One thing for sure, you have made a ton of new friends with this adventure.
I would like to know if Houzz has ever had a subject generate this much interest before. Come on Houzz....doesn't JCorrigan deserve some recognition for bringing so much attention to your site?
Well, good luck JC...you are still our favorite.
2 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 6:36AM
furrytoes
Spoffy's rich stuck-up aunt who lives in a Manhattan penthouse.

8 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 8:40PM
emwalsh
Please share the reveal on Facebook. I also have been checking for updates and the outcome of the Aunt's fireplace.
0 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 8:55PM
studio10001
She's not brick...must have married into the family *L*
5 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 8:57PM
onthefence
LOL @ studio10001! Either that or do you think it's the work of a skillful plastic surgeon?
3 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 9:00PM
studio10001
Could be....no breast... no fender, she's all leg - and definitely not a flue-zy...I'll bet she's a model!
7 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 12:39PM
~elaine
By all means, KEEP the unique fireplace! YES, to the updated changes suggested.
0 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 4:34AM
momof5x
If it is valuable then perhaps you should insure it. It will also add value to your house. I wouldn't paint over it or change it structurally in that case. I wouldn't really like it too BUT after seeing some of the designs on here, I suppose one could grow to love it.

The other option is to build a book case around the upper part ( above it ) to make the fireplace look smaller and without damaging it and try to add a mantel to it. At least that way you won't damage it ( just covered it) but still partly get what you want.
0 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 5:12AM
PRO
Mike BROUSE fine art
original artwork is always preferred over prints
1 Like   April 22, 2013 at 8:57AM
pearlmelba
Your fireplace is the original keep it work with it
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 5:11AM
bocadog
I think the fireplace is cool. Kinda looks like they could have film the Hobbit and your house!
1 Like   April 23, 2013 at 5:54AM
jjhy
KSMA... has it! Great job! No matter how one feels about this piece of art, it would be wrong to cover or change the art. It is what surrounds the art that must conform, or transform it to be, what you'd like to see.
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 6:08AM
pearlmelba
What do you think Santa would say
1 Like   April 23, 2013 at 6:19AM
PRO
Promethean Remodeling, LLC
He would say " Rudolph...dude...what was in those brownies we ate at the last house?"
5 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 6:24AM
pearlmelba
I was in the brownies many years ago so I could not eat a whole one
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 6:28AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
In the brownies pearl? LOL Promethean.
1 Like   April 23, 2013 at 9:17AM
schurer
I once bought a 200 year old house with a gigantic brick fireplace in the back yard--right in front of the porch door. Awkward. To my surprise, the bricks fell apart very easily with a good solid hammer blow. In a n afternoon, it was gone. You are never going to be truly happy with this monstrosity in your living room, getting rid of it will not be hard (it is probably backed by chicken wire), and then you can put up a really cool fireplace.
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 9:38AM
pearlmelba
Be it a monstrosity or not at the end of the day it's the people who live in this house have to live with it hope they do what's right for them and the fireplace Lots of people await its fate or its fame
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 10:49AM
pearlmelba
After a rigerious test riding my bike with out the saddle five miles showing I could tie my shoe laces blindfolded they let me in the brownies Barnhart thanks for asking
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 10:59AM
PRO
Promethean Remodeling, LLC
I was in the boyscouts but got kicked out for eating brownies! ( I know it is a bad joke...but I just couldn't resist!!)
2 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 11:05AM
pearlmelba
Back to eating brownies hay dude what was in them brownies in the last tent we both stayed in i thought i knew you what was that in your shorts you pleased to see me no it was a brownie funny place to hide them greedy boyscout no such thing as a bad joke just the bad way they are told
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 11:10AM
pearlmelba
Someone please make a new comment about this fireplace please someone !!!
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 11:33AM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Fireplace? What fireplace?
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 11:40AM
bonnieth
No comment except that it is time to see an update, even if it is a picture of a renovation mess.
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 11:57AM
PRO
Granite Grannies
There are so many comments, but I just have to chime in. This is one of those completely unique parts of a home that only comes along once in a great while. Please do not tear it down! If you must hide it, then drywall over it so that future owners can re-expose it and this magnificent work of art isn't lost in a "cut up the mona lisa to make a table" incident.
4 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 12:03PM
pearlmelba
Good point if they do this then in about fifty years time someone can start up a dilemma about a fireplace that will go on for months or ever years please let us see progress thus far as I am getting older by the second and fifty years is a long way off
0 Likes   April 23, 2013 at 12:09PM
Susan Fox
Good morning JCorrigan! Hope you are still hanging in there. I am one of those "patiently waiting" Spoffy fans.
How is the project coming along? I'll bet you are up to yours ears in sawdust and the last thing you want to do is chime in here, but PLEASE, touch base with us occasionally!!! At least that way we will all know if our quest is over or not. I have to admit that I will miss checking for updates every morning, so I am hoping that you are still with us. Thanks, and good luck with Spoffy.
6 Likes   May 1, 2013 at 4:20AM
poohsfolks
I have read every single comment and suggestion and love this! It feels like the season finale of a favorite TV show - but the cliffhanger is a killer. Hope we don't have to wait for fall to see the progress on Spoffy.
1 Like   May 11, 2013 at 4:27PM
onthefence
How funny! I was thinking of Spoffy just the other day. Hiya Spoffster!
0 Likes   May 11, 2013 at 4:31PM
Cathy Condit
WOW! I'm so dizzy my head is spinning. Like a whirl pool it never ends. I'm so DIZZY!!!
1 Like   May 11, 2013 at 5:07PM
primuz
Wow it's a love r hate thing but I would also love to see the out come :)
0 Likes   May 11, 2013 at 10:54PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
@cath - now that song is going to be stuck in my head all today!
0 Likes   May 11, 2013 at 10:55PM
libradesigneye
photos in progress?
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 12:00AM
Nancy Walton
I've got to get in on this, can't wait to see the after!
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 1:53AM
dbunnies
If you cannot bring your self to tear it out you will have to move. It is sculgly, scary and ugly. It will scare the children and give them nightmares. I don't know how you can sleep with that in the house. If it annoys you every time you see it tear it out or move. Life is too short to live with something you do not love.
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 10:47AM
libradesigneye
dbunnies, you are late to the spoffy party and have not read all 600 posts like the spoffy fan club. This is the work of an artist and like all art, evokes passion both positive and negative. I fear it is posts like yours that have scared our spoffy owner away from showing us a current photo. Which we will patiently wait for :-)
2 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 10:52AM
bluenan
Oh you haven't seen the after?! I can't find the link now, but I've seen it and they kept it, and what they did looks fabulous! I know they mirrored the walls on either side, I know, mirrors?! But it looked fab. Anyone have the "after" link?
1 Like   May 31, 2013 at 11:04AM
studio10001
!!
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 11:13AM
groveraxle
bluenan, I believe you are referring to a rendering done earlier by 3DCGI. It was just a suggestion--a fabulous one--but it wasn't the actual room.
7 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 11:19AM
bluenan
Oh, yes, thanks, that's what I saw! It's been awhile...
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 11:24AM
patty947
I'm also looking for the "after" pictures, as I just found this thread and have spent an hour reading through most of the posts. It's way too interesting to NOT find out what was decided.
2 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 11:29AM
bluenan
I checked the poster's home page, and there is nothing showing, I guess it will remain a mystery!
1 Like   May 31, 2013 at 11:55AM
oceanspace38
Haa wow! A little Hobbit decor! I would open the fire area and try to keep the design, but if you hate it. I'm sure it will come down easy enough! Let us see the after photo!
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 2:45PM
Nancy Walton
Normally I don't like mirror walls, but I must say that rendering of the mirror walls was gorgeous--worth consideration!
1 Like   May 31, 2013 at 3:58PM
Lynn Moloney
I think it is absolutely beautiful. When you have your wooden floor down just think what way it will be the colour of the brick will really shine through. Get rid of your lighting. I'd have you sofa even a corner sofa. Work with lamps ...I really think it fab x
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 4:32PM
judianna20
To whom are we speaking? The poster, jc, has not been involved for 3 months…..
3 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 4:58PM
pearlmelba
SPOOKY!!!!!
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 5:22PM
rouxb
SPOFFIE!!!!
1 Like   May 31, 2013 at 5:31PM
pearlmelba
Him as well lol
Spooky and spoffie could be like Mr and Misses
No joking aside.
We all want to know how it turned out !!!!
As this dilemma had/has a large following
1 Like   May 31, 2013 at 5:38PM
jcomama
Hello, all! Floors look awesome DIYing so taking forever. Choosing paint color now. Ugh! So hard! Hoping to get trim up soon!! :)
20 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 8:18PM
Nancy Walton
Picture of floors, please! Will you go with the grey paint like in the rendering with the mirrors?
1 Like   May 31, 2013 at 9:32PM
PRO
Ameerti Jameela Mansions and Estates, Inc
Not to add a vision, but the first thing I saw was a butt. This could lend itself to be a centerpiece for many discussions.
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 9:39PM
Jayme H.
Could be a Freudian thing...or it could just resemble a butt.
1 Like   May 31, 2013 at 9:41PM
poohsfolks
I'm so happy to hear from jcorrigan77!!! Can't wait for photos!
3 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 10:40PM
Beth Bourque
I hate it, but there is no way that I would take a chance at being remembered as the idiot who destroyed it. Box it in.
0 Likes   May 31, 2013 at 11:09PM
Susan Fox
Oh yea !!!!! I had almost given up hope of EVER hearing from JCorrigan again. Glad to know that you haven't abandoned all of us, or far worse, that Spoffy had gobbled you up! Good luck with the redo....I know that takes a lot of time. All we need is an occasional " I'm still here" from you and we will hang in there till you are ready for the great unveiling. So excited to see "Spoffy" mail in my inbox again. Thanks. Will keep watching. In the meanwhile, all you "new " members of the Spoffy fan club, welcome to the fun, but please go to the top of the page and read about the complete journey...it has really been a trip!!
4 Likes   June 1, 2013 at 5:30AM
msubreeze
I feel a little dizzy even looking at the fireplace from here. That is some focal point... I would tear it down and replace it with any number of fireplace mantles, mantles with bookcases on the side. It seems like an elephant in a normal sized room. You have wonderful wall space, and it looks like the room is long enough to put in a couple seating areas or seats and a game table - lots of options, but first... it has to go. I know there are artists out there who disagree wildly with me... but this is a place to relax not a Disney ride. Am I too blunt?
0 Likes   June 1, 2013 at 5:46AM
okiefamily
Please sign me up as a new member of the spoffy fan club! I say keep it. It is unique, it is art. I started out as many others, l thought it was interesting but ugly (sorry spof ) at first but the more I look at her I think she is beautiful! Can't wait to see more pics... No pressure... but I hope you'll post pics of your progress. I'd love to see pics of spoffy's (and your) home and the outside chimney.
0 Likes   June 1, 2013 at 7:12AM
ciscomom
Hi, I have read this entire thread, catching up from my first acquaintance awhile back. Thank you to jcorrigan for being such a great sport and to all the posters who have added their, often hysterical, ideas. I hate to add one more, but here goes. My husband and I built a little farmhouse and did all the finish work ourselves. We used a product called American Clay, www.americanclay.wix.com/new/home, that is a natural earth plaster - kind of like adobe. They have a huge, beautiful warm palette available and since its "plastery" to work with, we used round corners, which is partly why I thought of spoffy. I don't own stock in the company nor am I a salesperson of theirs. :) It was actually very fun to work with and I think the texture and one of their many colors could look fabulous. Best of luck with your new home projects, including this loveable monster!
3 Likes   June 1, 2013 at 10:08AM
pearlmelba
@msubreeze.....Walt Disney himself might well have loved it lol......
jcorrigag please please post some new pics !!!
Your fans followers await
For them that hate it
Just look away
1 Like   June 2, 2013 at 1:52PM
Maryl Hershelman
Yes please let us know what's up ....
0 Likes   June 2, 2013 at 3:53PM
restoredtreasurestoo
Wow, I love one-of-kind and quirky but I really didn't think this fireplace had any hope of looking good until I saw the idea that Barnhart Gallery offered! With the natural materials, streamlined couch and drapes and those hanging lights.......perfect pairing with that fireplace!
0 Likes   June 2, 2013 at 4:16PM
jcomama
Susan Mills, what was the name of the color you suggested? Having a really hard time. Grays are not looking right bc there are so many warm tones in FP. Been looking for the perfect greige. Looking at Accessible Beige and Balanced Beige from Sherwin Williams. One seems too light. The other too dark. Help!
1 Like   June 3, 2013 at 5:42PM
meghankl
SW kilim beige? Or maybe BM Powell Buff
0 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 5:48PM
donnag0042
I'd paint the fireplace white. It is a monster.
0 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 6:31PM
meghankl
That was my initial suggestion, but with the knowledge that a well known masonry artist created it I would leave it alone. What a cool feature to have an original work of art built into your house!
0 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 6:43PM
21 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 6:54PM
jcomama
Sorry...bad pic.
0 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 6:55PM
jcomama
Looks to be snacking on the bucket, huh!?
8 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 6:55PM
libradesigneye
Thanks so much for showing us - what hard work and she is so much more easy on the eyes without the red skirt.
2 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 6:56PM
kimdee24
Must be something tasty in there! Looks better already without the red carpet!
0 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 6:58PM
DIAspoton
she seems happy with the change j. maybe even grinning!
0 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 7:06PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Looking good, Spoffie! And I like the sandy beige tone that's there now, unless the lights are tricking my eye, that's a color out of the brick, no? Looks great! I do hope you went for those cage lights you came up with jcorrigan. Thanks so much for the update.
1 Like   June 3, 2013 at 7:35PM
jibbon
Thanks for sharing JC - huge improvement - the neutral tones are nice. I couldn't help noticing the beautiful trees outside the window - it's going to be beautiful room if you can get the fireplace to rest alongside that natural, organic environment you're in. More glass! Floor to ceiling.

Speaking of the ceiling - it's probably been asked - but I'd love to know what the brickwork does inside the ceiling cavity. Is removing the existing ceiling and installing a raked (cathedral) ceiling to the rafters on the plans?

Best of Luck ;)
2 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 7:39PM
Callie Henrichs
Looking so much better without the red carpet! You will have a room to be proud of before you know it.
0 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 8:56PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Hey JC, the saga continues, I can't remember the particular griege I suggested way back, but it may have been RH stone or ash. However that was one part of the scheme. My concept also included the floors in a dark charcoal to black finish as well as the warm wood furniture. I still love the fireplace after all this time and would love to see you make it the hi lite of the room, albeit the whole home!
2 Likes   June 3, 2013 at 9:28PM
jcomama
With new floors! :)
46 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 7:11AM
vacox
I'm curious too if there's a great ceiling above that drywall?
1 Like   June 4, 2013 at 7:25AM
studio10001
*L* The angle of that second shot looks as though Spoffy has finally succeeded in bending the walls to his will!
9 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 7:32AM
jcomama
No... There's a second floor up there. :(
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 7:35AM
PRO
KSMA
Beautiful floors, jcorrigan! A good choice.
3 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 7:37AM
Allison Burnfield McAteer
Thanks for the picture updates!
3 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 7:53AM
PRO
Island Stone
One consideration is covering the surface with pebble tile as they will blend the established curve without creating the over the top look of the current brick layout. I have attached a few examples. www.islandstone.com
1 Like   June 4, 2013 at 7:54AM
meghankl
Love the floor! Wonderful choice. I actually kind of like the current wall color...with Spoffy , the dark floor and the low ceiling I feel like too dark or too gray would feel a little cavelike...
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 8:04AM
groveraxle
What if you painted the ceiling?
3 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 8:49AM
groveraxle
And painted her walls more of a warm gray...
3 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 9:01AM
SophieW
Where you removed the baseboard, the colour looks great with both the brick and the floor! If you painted the wall that colour the fireplace will recede (if such a thing is possible) into the wall a bit.
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 9:05AM
Emily Hurley
I'm so excited to see the updates on this. I always wonder how these turn out and I LOVE it when we get to follow along on the project. Thank you!!
4 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 9:24AM
ciscomom
Hi again:

I have no idea if these links to the American Clay site (the natural plaster I mentioned in my earlier post) will work to show you the colors and soft effect it creates. I hope they do and I don't mean to nag. I can't really describe the product but it just seems that it would achieve the soft and natural/organic effect Susan Mills Design and some of the other designers have been suggesting for Spoffy. We used the white, a soft gray and a soft beige against dark gray floors and, by the way, love the new floors.

http://americanclay.wix.com/new/photogallery#!__photogallery-residential/slideshow0=5; http://americanclay.wix.com/new/photogallery#!__photogallery-residential/vstc1=edgewood/slideshow4=3; http://americanclay.wix.com/new/photogallery#!__photogallery-residential/vstc1=auckland
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 9:27AM
Linda
When I left for Europe, this decorating dilemma was just 3 days old and happy to see that something has been decided AND that you kept the fireplace. I enjoyed reading all the comments and even though I am not a designer, I like the grey wall idea. Thanks for keeping everyone updated.
2 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 9:51AM
chanored
What you have done is beautiful! Right on!!!
1 Like   June 4, 2013 at 10:20AM
jcomama
Welcome back, Linda!! Well...we did paint the ceiling, but I was too afraid to go darker bc I didn't want to make it feel like a cave! I'm such a scaredy cat!!
1 Like   June 4, 2013 at 10:22AM
collettec
Glad to see the update. Love the floor - looks great! I would consider going with more of a cream color to tie in with the warmer colors in the fireplace. Some colors to consider:
Benjamin Moore Gentle Cream, Benjamin Moore Rich Cream and Sherwin Williams French Vanilla.
1 Like   June 4, 2013 at 10:45AM
Callie Henrichs
Paint sample 2 and 4 on the right are very nice, and so is the bottom one on the left. Our previous home had redish toned wood, when we painted the walls BM Manchester Tan, it calmed the woodwork down and blended it fabulously. The floors are knockout gorgeous. Spoffie is blending in and looking better all the time JC! It's going to be a beautiful room. Here's an example with said woodwork.
1 second ago
1 Like   June 4, 2013 at 11:04AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
jc77 -- Oh my goodness, did you do those wonderful floors overnight? Love!
1 Like   June 4, 2013 at 11:21AM
patty947
The floor is wonderful!!! I kind of preferred the creamy color on the wall. It blended so well with the brick. But, the gray is okay, too and looks nice and fresh. Good job!
1 Like   June 4, 2013 at 1:47PM
mckstacy
J corrigan - thank you for the update! Plz consider Susan Mills Design's paint color...the "greige" would look beautiful with your rich wood floors! Best of luck...:)
3 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 3:40PM
bonnieth
Your space is looking fantastic and............Yes, paint the ceiling.
1 Like   June 4, 2013 at 5:23PM
kimdee24
Oh Spoffy! Looking so much better with her new floors!
1 Like   June 4, 2013 at 5:29PM
Margaret B
Wow, what a transformation. Spoffy scared me before and now Spoffy just looks like a piece of art with the new floors. Well done!
2 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 5:35PM
Darla
I still say...go with story book homes...
2 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 6:00AM
jcomama
It really feels like I'm trying to push a cooler gray and I'm not sure it's Spoffy's color... Overall, I was trying to go cooler shades in the house, but I'm not feeling gray here. The color on the bottom left is the one I'm leaning toward...SW Balanced Beige. It's a taupe, gray, beige. Thoughts??
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 6:52AM
collettec
It looks like it might work, difficult to tell - I would paint perhaps a larger area near the fireplace to check. I would stay with some variation of a warm color, rather than cool. Your fireplace is the star of the show and I think anything that competes with it as a color that is too different will make it look out of place. I think the fireplace should look somewhat organic and part of the whole room, drawing on some of the warmer colors in the brick so that you can really focus on the design elements of the fireplace that are so striking.
3 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 7:36AM
Martha Angell
You could paint a small area of the fireplace that looks more traditional a darker color to set it off
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 7:41AM
wycherhonda
Your traditional furniture is quite attractive, and since that is your taste, I cannot imagine this fireplace ever being attractive to you. Take it out, and put in a fireplace surround that is more suitable for YOU. This one may be unique, it may be artistic, but unless it's YOU, you don't need to live with it. You need not pay homage to some prior owner or builder's idea. Make it your own., and enjoy YOUR home
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 7:49AM
angelkins7
No gray! No gray! No gray! Right now it looks like a wonderful, fantastical, warm piece. I feel a gray or cool color will make it tend towards something from a scary forest. I am new to this convo, but I am an admirer of your fireplace. I just feel that EVERYTHING else in the room was dissonant and needed changing to make it a warm, undulating, comfortable feeling. Glad the red carpet is gone and thank you for ripping out that horrid track lighting. Track lighting was about as wrong as you can get in this room! We also bought a late 60's home with a monster of a fireplace that went floor to vaulted ceiling with a very strange rock on it. We heavily cleaned the rock and redesigned the room, ripped down the opposite wall closing off the kitchen, and now it is a worthy focal point. Remember the old adage: "What makes you different is what makes you beautiful"!!!
4 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 7:57AM
kimdee24
SW Balanced Beige -- I think I prefer this over a grey for Spoffy. Warmer tones I think would suit her better.
9 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 7:58AM
pondrock
Encase it with pre-cast concrete. If the next owner loves it, they can take it down -- no harm done.

3 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 8:07AM
kysusan
Hideous. Just because someone calls it art doesn't make it so.
3 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 8:07AM
housegood
I think it's great -- and could be something you saw in a magazine and thought "wow how did they find someone who could do that?" -- I think the new flooring being neutral will help -- although could create a conflicting pattern (since pattern is what this fireplace is all about) -- as long as it's a similar tone. not light light. but I think what will REALLY help is to keep everything in the room mainly in those tones -- especially the surrounding colors -- either the dark putty color or a shade of the bricks == if the color is lighter the fireplace will stick out ore, if it's the same hues -- darker -- it will blend together and make one piece. i'd go ford darker. get rid of the track lighting above -- a bad contrast and doing neither the lighting nor the fireplace any service. make sure furnishings don't contrast wildly. it could look terrific and have a very unique craftsman (I live in Berkeley California where Maybeck is cherished) look -- and could look ageless. i'll trade you!
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 8:16AM
Callie Henrichs
housegood, the track lighting has been gone for quite sometime, and they have put down beautiful hardwood floors that bring out the beauty of the fireplace. There are pictures further up the feed if you are interested in looking. It's quite a transformation already, and they aren't even done yet. :o)
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 8:32AM
PRO
Malibu Home Remoodeling
If you want a traditional look you must remove the brick and rebuild the fire box. then you can make it yours and the next people will ask why you did that. If your design style is southwestern then just stucco it and call it a Navajo fireplace
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 8:40AM
msmliss
Wow! This thread has taken on a life of it's own!!! It must be a record! This is my first time (day) on Houzz, and when I saw your fireplace (Spoffy?) I immediately thought of the old adage "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" because this person surely must have been paying homage to the Barcelonian designer Antoni Gaudi. In Gaudi's time some people loved it and some did not. In fact, because of Gaudi's design style "gaudy" came into our lexicon! I'm delighted that you've chosen to love it! I love the strong saturated faux weathered copper effect suggestion as well as the suggestion to make the hearth curvilinear. Your wood floor is gorgeous! One of the final touches might be place a illustrative book of Antoni Gaudi designs on your coffee table!
3 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 8:49AM
PRO
Windermere Homes & Estates
I like the wood floors and the photo posted previously with the mirrored wall was awesome.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 9:01AM
tamaral
I'm chiming in here because I'm a fan of the thing and your decision to keep it. Plus I want updates as you move forward. What a great thread this is! Bernart (sic) had that amazing suggestion way back, with the rich copper coloured walls (well, actual copper) and then someone else had a fascinating mirror suggestion. I get the fear of the grey with this piece, but I am not feeling the taupe/griege with those floors. To me, beige has a bit of an '80s/'90s feel. But then, it's all how it's accessorized, and with so much great advice here, I am happy to just sit back and observe the magic. Thank you for the updates!!
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 9:33AM
Susan Fox
Wow! 680 comments so far, from top to bottom. Has to be the greatest EVER!!

I love the pictures you have given us of the redo . The floors are a HIT...wish I had them. Hope you can find just the right shade of paint to complement the brick. I personally like the bottom shade on the left (facing Spoffy) that you show in your picture. I think the lighter colors make Spoffy "pop" out too much. That bottom shade is soft and warm and very inviting. I really believe that you are going to LOVE this room when you get finished.

Poor Spoffy...she still has her "haters" though. So glad you decided to keep her original, in all her glory.

Thanks for the update.
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 10:41AM
PRO
Transitional Designs
Wow... just saw this... Wow.... Looking forward to your progress and labor of love to embrace this fireplace.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 10:54AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Huge improvement. But firepl still looks scary.
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 10:58AM
angelkins7
ah, I hadn't seen the color swatches on your last photos. I agree with Susan Fox, bottom left color, others are too light or too cold.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 11:07AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Your current color:
3 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 12:02PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
And with the Balanced Beige:
18 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 12:06PM
jcomama
Ohhh, Barnhart! Thanks for the visual!! I think Balanced Beige will work...you??
11 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 1:18PM
stacyz
Yes, yes, I read the WHOLE thing. Top to bottom :) What a wonderful thread full of great ideas and insight. I, too, am excited to see the final outcome of Spoffy! I am also anxiously awaiting my Spoffy calendar 8-P
3 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 1:26PM
onthefence
LOVE the hardwood floor, the Balanced Beige and all of Barnhart's sample board!

Barnhart Gallery, I swear you're like one of those magicians on make-over shows. The shows where the woman in poorly fitting clothing and an unflattering haircut show up - and when she shows up in the after segment, she's a super model!
5 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 1:28PM
studio10001
Well done, Kimdee!
3 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 1:44PM
onthefence
Whoops! I missed Kimdee's call for color. Mega kudos!

Man there are some talented people around here ;-)
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 1:53PM
poohsfolks
I really like the beige much better than the gray. Very warm, inviting and works great with Spoffie! Great Job.
2 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 2:09PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Thanks onthefence!
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 7:31PM
beerpocketbook
Really groovy, Jcorrigan77! Love what you've done so far. You're really in a better position, of course, to judge color. You get to be there and see the room in all the different lights. We just have to imagine. But the balanced beige looks like a beautiful color and should go very well with the brick. And, Barnhart Gallery, I love your idea board. Beautiful blend of textures and color.
1 Like   June 8, 2013 at 2:48PM
kath44
I don't say much, but although it is a beautiful color, I think the balanced beige is a bit too light. It seems that since you are going to keep the fireplace as is, a warmer color is called for, although not as dark as the original. Porter paints has some lovely true tans that don't leave out the other tones and warmth . Malibu Dune, Sand Fossil, Chalkware, and Golden Ecru being a few. I know it will be such an improvement whatever you choose. Blessin's...
2 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 4:00PM
kath44
Sorry, I meant to include the link, http://www.ppgporterpaints.com/color/paint-colors
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 4:01PM
terriedaughtry
I had a similar dilemma with a monster of a fireplace with a huge brick mantle. I had a mason remove the brick mantle and cement over the brick. ( they covered it in some kind of wire mesh prior to cementing. I was going to add a rustic beam mantle but loved it spare and added a large oil painting.
3 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 6:52PM
terriedaughtry
The problem is that all the lines are optically confusing.. It is the curving shape that is so unique. If you cement over it and paint a little paler than the wall you would maintain the wonderful shape but the scary lines would go away. If you get daring in your old age just have the cement sandblasted away.
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 7:04PM
kimdee24
I can't take credit for Balanced Beige -- jcorrigan already chose it as a sample color. I just pulled a swatch so we could see it better. I think it's a great choice!
1 Like   June 8, 2013 at 7:08PM
groveraxle
Spoffie stays.
7 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 7:10PM
studio10001
terriedaughtry, your photo is lovely. We Spoffy lovers think he looks 'plastered' enough already, and we like him that way! jcorrigan has decided to be daring now, and we are all just waiting for the final reveal. If you've time, the thread may be of interest to you while waiting. :)
8 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 7:31PM
PRO
ONeill Group Inc.
I would be tempted to go all out "steampunk" decor.....http://www.houzz.com/steampunk
1 Like   June 9, 2013 at 7:29AM
PRO
Freespace Design LLC
It's a fireplace that needs to be let out of the box for sure. I personally relate to this as a piece of art and would aim to preserve that. My first impression is that the proportion of the hearth isn't working, looks like it wasn't thought through visually in relation to the weight load it's carrying. I would extend the plinth on both sides to meet the walls. A smooth grey slate would be a good natural material to compliment the brick. It then brings that whole wall into play, and I would not paint anything in that room beige.......and no drapes. There's nothing "traditional" about that FP, it's totally weird and needs to stay that way. Dark grey either side of the brick, bringing the paint around the corner to the width of the plinth, a thin strip of wood fixed to the wall up to the ceiling and painted the same color can provide the minimal 3D visual boundary to change color/shades mid wall. Light greys/white would be cool for the remainder of the wall/walls. There's no rule says colors have to change in a corner. This detail changes the dynamic of the room and would create a framework and more of a visual nook for this artwork that should be allowed to generate the main color and texture of the space. If you are brave you could treat the ceiling also to complete the frame. Some neutral, light, minimal modern furnishing and carefully selected ceramics/artworks, and some mood creating lighting to finish....it's more of a piece to work with rather than fight against....:) Not to everyone's taste I'm sure but diversity makes the world go around.......;)
2 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 9:52AM
antjozee
Taking up the red carpet and adding the wood floor has made a huge difference. I'm torn between the two paint colors but lean toward warmer.
1 Like   June 9, 2013 at 8:00PM
cchlopecki
This was posted 4 months ago, has anything been done yet ?
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 12:34PM
joanbllt
It's in process now - There have been multiple discussions as to what homage should be paid the now named "Spoffie" fireplace. You really should read the previous comments - lots of fun.
2 Likes   June 13, 2013 at 10:04PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I think it's kinda cool. I'd go retro eclectic and run with the quirkyness. It's a great show stopper and focal piece. Add some terrific accessories and great colors to expand the artsy attitude that I see when looking at this masterpiece.
2 Likes   June 13, 2013 at 10:42PM
Ed
The new flooring looks very nice.
1 Like   June 13, 2013 at 11:27PM
tkjs68
I have followed this from first post. it is a bizarre fire place. a bit alice in wonderland and i got dizzy at first but I' m not a hater! it is also a work of art. the floors have improved it tremendously. Balanced Beige looks good. Looking forward to more progress photos.
1 Like   Thanked by jcomama    June 14, 2013 at 4:23AM
PRO
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
This is a great piece to have. Glad you are saving it. If it was me, I might take down the raised hearth and finish to the floor, leaving it almost like a wall mural. If the color of the brick was interfering with my design I would just paint the brick a monochrome color scheme, leaving a contrast with the mortar joints to preserve the fluidity of the brick design.
0 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    June 25, 2013 at 11:48AM
millybolton
Oh no - i've read from the start - but there's no end yet! please let keep adding the updates!
4 Likes   June 28, 2013 at 5:22AM
Susan Fox
Fear not Millybollton, I have faith that JCorrigan will keep us abreast of the project and let us know when there is anything new to see. I don't know what it is about this but, Spoffie really has some loyal fans. It is kind of like waiting to hear from a family member .This stopped being an ordinary decorating project a long time ago. We just can't let it go! Probably because it was such a challenging problem and it inspired so many talented folks to try their hand at solving it. Well, whatever it is it certainly has been fun and I get the feeling, based on her responses, that JCorrigan is a patient, kind person and I for one hope she gets a room that she can love. And Millybolton, kudos to you for "reading from the start'!! That's a LOT of reading!!
8 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    June 29, 2013 at 5:20PM
phatelity
Same here! Read from start to finish and it is so interesting to see all the creative ideas people suggested for Spoffy! :) I would love to professionally photograph all your hard work for you! No charge! :)
4 Likes   July 7, 2013 at 9:40AM
anchovy
keep the fireplace for sure. Ditch that awful track lighting, and update the paint trim colours to compliment the brick rather than fight with it. The red carpet makes me think of the Madonna Inn in California. You might get some inspiration from that. Each room incorporates unique extreme decorating that is overdone just right. See some red room examples below. I think the spanish style one with the bits of exposed brick would be fabulous in your room.
1 Like   July 24, 2013 at 12:54PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I've been at The Madonna Inn. Everyone remembers it once you've seen it. It's unique and very fun.
0 Likes   July 24, 2013 at 1:00PM
kstith
don't tear it out. It could make your living room. I would paint it a soft white or grey (keep walls samecolor). It's truly unique and could really work with clean modern furnishings. Very cool!
0 Likes   July 29, 2013 at 6:33AM
myeyzz
First glance makes me think rip it out but when I look at it for what it is—inspiring, cool and artistic—I love it! Does it work? I'd be inclined to keep it, let it dictate the decor and be the happy whimsical focal point it demands to be. I might be more inclined to rip out everything else though! I agree that hardwood would be good, but I'd likely choose plank, and reclaimed if I could find it—I'm thinking character and warmth. I'd be on the lookout for lighting and simple furnishings that suit the whimsey of the fireplace, the relatively narrow depth of the room, and most importantly that make the room function comfortably as you want to use it.
0 Likes   August 3, 2013 at 1:07PM
Traci Wesley
And I thought mine was hideous!
0 Likes   August 6, 2013 at 2:19PM
Laurence Tillett
do NOT touch it!! It is an architecturally significant piece. I agree with the commenter who said paint the walls same as the mortar. Trust me...with the right touches and furniture in the room (hire a designer!) you will come to love it. It's amazing. love, love it!!
4 Likes   August 6, 2013 at 2:25PM
Danielle Rayoum
Can't wait to see finished product. I have to admit though. The fireplace creeps me out. Like I will be taken with Alice to wonderland.
0 Likes   August 7, 2013 at 8:06PM
Connie
I hate the fireplace (sorry). BUT, some people have made some valid points. So, I would ditch the colours in the room, and make it a very neutral coloured one, using colours from the fireplace, and turn it into a man cave!!

OR paint the walls black, block out the windows, buy a harness, whips and lashes, and turn it into a bondage room ;)

Seriously though, its your house, and if you need to use the space, and you don't like it -GET RID OF IT. good luck
2 Likes   August 7, 2013 at 8:18PM
Anne
I like it but I think it looks incomplete. I wish the bricks extended from wall to wall.
0 Likes   August 19, 2013 at 8:51PM
rflemba
Did you say you guys were storing some Wiccan pieces in there?
1 Like   August 19, 2013 at 10:30PM
Anne
I hope you kept it and changed the room to suit the fireplace instead of the other way around.
0 Likes   August 22, 2013 at 1:11PM
PRO
David J Gill
This one has A LOT of comments so I'll add:
KEEP IT...that is character!
It's a valuable conversation piece!
(Wondering if there is there anything else like that on the outside of the house?)
1 Like   August 23, 2013 at 3:43PM
Susan Fox
David J Gill , there was a photo of the outside chimney but I have scrolled through this feed twice and can't seem to find it now. The outside is just as quirky as the inside....wish you could have seen it.
1 Like   August 24, 2013 at 5:36AM
bluenan
I think that example was from another project done by the same mason, on a church, if I'm not mistaken. But yes, it was just as quirky and eccentric!
0 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 5:46AM
studio10001
Pining for Spoffy updates; it will soon be time to decorate him for Christmas: http://media-cache-ak2.pinimg.com/736x/2e/74/fb/2e74fbf48b77ba87ab427ea7a910722d.jpg
5 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 9:04AM
PRO
LB Interiors
That sure is quirky 'studio' :))
3 Likes   August 24, 2013 at 9:49AM
krismark0
Definitely keep it. It's pretty wild but would look great with som big comfy furniture and some nice art in the walls...maybe a tall sculpture too. Subbing this discussion. Can't wait to see what you do with it!
1 Like   August 24, 2013 at 9:00PM
Susan Fox
Well, I found the picture. Houzz has hidden some of the feed....probably due to quantity...but at the top it lets you open 240 more posts and the photo is near the top of the early feed. I think it resembles a tree, very creative, but then I have a really over active imagination. See what you think.
1 Like   August 25, 2013 at 6:10AM
jcomama
Ok....this may look like little progress to most of you, but I'm so thrilled to have gotten the paint up, the floors installed, and the trim primered, painted and installed. All DIYed by my AMAAAAAZING father and father-in-law! :) Seriously...it could be FOREVER before I get to furnish it. :( The renovation budget is tapped out for the time being. BUT, I will say this...I'm glad Spoffie and I found some neutral ground (in more than one way)! We'll see what comes of this guy... :)

Oh, and I did some checking into the faux stone pillows. Yikes!! I was so bummed that they're so expensive. :( I really thought Spoffster would love them!
40 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 5:40PM
meghankl
Floor and wall color are just perfect with it!
4 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    August 25, 2013 at 5:50PM
vacox
Looks great!
1 Like   Thanked by jcomama    August 25, 2013 at 5:55PM
studio10001
The Spoffster gets Spiffy!!! He looks great, and if you know a knitter, he can still have rock pillows -heavy gauge wool knitted on large needles, felted and then stuffed. So glad to see this!
3 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    August 25, 2013 at 5:55PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi jcorrigan! Here's a tutorial on making your own felted rocks -- perhaps you can figure out how to stuff them instead... http://www.ehow.com/how_8509228_make-large-felted-rocks.html

Your crew has done great work, and Spoffie looks fantastic. I hope you don't feel rushed by all of his fans; take your time furnish as you can. In the meantime, let's see what we can find on the cheap...
5 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    August 25, 2013 at 7:14PM
kimdee24
Wowwwww! Spoffy looks so much better with her neutral walls and beautiful hardwoods! Great work!
3 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 7:24PM
zindor
LOVE what you have done with the room! Wow! Looks amazing! I'm so glad you shared these photos with us. I am a huge fan.
3 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    August 25, 2013 at 8:45PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Looks great! I can't wait to see the next phase!
2 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 9:49PM
Karin Madgwick
If this is by a known artist it will add value to your home. I would change the carpet to the colour of the grout and paint the rest to the room white. If you have a very modern approach to the room say with minimalist furniture and nothing on the walls it will make a feature of the fireplace. I would also have the window furnishings the same colour as the walls. What an exciting room.
2 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 10:09PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
The new flooring and paint colors already give the fireplace a whole, new look. Now it is the star of the show in a good way :-)
2 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 10:13PM
regina5697
I could envision furnishings like these along side Sof.
7 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 12:27AM
regina5697
Oooo, sorry....Spof.
I like Barnhardt's look too with clean lines. Spoffy is one if those that can wear anything.
1 Like   August 26, 2013 at 12:36AM
cathieg
Looking great Spoffster. What an improvement.
0 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    August 26, 2013 at 4:34AM
littlemjs
I would paint it and the walls on each side a shade of white. Then I would match the same shade on the trim around the windows in the room. And finally, I would bring in color by painting both window walls an accent color, depending upon your taste and your furniture.
0 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 4:54AM
PRO
Freespace Design LLC
felted stones alternate: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111074010901

not quite as nice but the price is more appealing I suspect.
1 Like   August 26, 2013 at 5:14AM
Susan Fox
The room looks so fresh and Spoffie looks relaxed , not so frantic and jumping out at you! Job well done JCorrigan77. I really love the view out that side window. Any chance it could remain uncovered?
1 Like   Thanked by jcomama    August 26, 2013 at 5:41AM
shanninen
Take the brick down and start all over again. It won't be that expensive. The demolition will be the hardest part. That is one atrocious fireplace.
1 Like   August 26, 2013 at 6:08AM
PRO
KSMA
What an improvement! It's amazing what a little change in colors will do for a room. Spoffie feels right at home now. And with these floors and the color palette you've chosen, there are a ton of options out there for you. Good job JCorrigan!
0 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    August 26, 2013 at 7:30AM
nikawareham
I think the bottom of the fireplace is what makes it look off because its so square and short compared to the rest of it. I would probably just change the bottom to something solid.
0 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 7:50AM
groveraxle
The Spofster is looking awesome and those felted stones Freestyle linked to would be a great alternative, I think. This room calls for some uncommon furniture and furnishings--not too much; don't want to detract from the star of the show--to complement the Spoffie style.
0 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    August 26, 2013 at 8:15AM
7 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    August 26, 2013 at 8:29AM
beeloved
The room is looking fantastic! If you've got some sewing buddies, bet they can make some less expensive stones than those gorgeous felted ones.
Being no fan of brick, I would at least soften it with a paint wash. Nothing fancy. Just the wall colour loosened up with a little water and patted on with a sponge or a rag. From experience, I can tell you it's messy, but it looked get when I used on a massive red brick fireplace.
Given my druthers, I'd plaster it. Keep the organic shape, disappear the brick. Do a little river rock inlay.
As it stands, I think the new flooring and wall colour are brilliant complements. Well done!
0 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    August 26, 2013 at 10:03AM
sapphire27
I'm intrigued by the changes you did on outside of the house (view from the window of 2nd new pic.) It makes Spoffy look as if it is trying turn to look outside at the amazing new 'scaping.
2 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 10:45AM
Susan Fox
Saphire27 You are right, I had not noticed that till you said something. Went back and looked and it is VERY different. Looks like a lot of work has gone on outside as well as inside. Maybe JCorrigan77 will fill us in.
2 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 12:40PM
bennnie
JC - WOW - great job taming the beast! So glad you saved her. I just found this thread today and read most of it in one sitting - better than some books I've read.
4 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 2:01PM
PRO
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
756 comments and not one mention of Lucy Ricardo's BBQ?!

Great work jcorrigan77, glad to see you chose to respect this unique piece of work!
3 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 3:46PM
kath44
I can imagine small strategicly placed rocks in different sizes placed in a few spots on the hearth, and maybe against the corners where fireplace meets floor. Flat rocks of maybe 10"-12" some stacked and some leaning, or stones (not boulders :), piled at different levels of different sizes, say from grapefruit to lemon size...it would soften that crazy transition...
1 Like   August 26, 2013 at 4:33PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
LOL ReSquare; I just had to google Lucy's BBQ.
3 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 8:08AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Let's see Lucy's BBQ.
0 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 9:33AM
PRO
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
Personally, speaking as an erstwhile sculptor/artist, I think it would be almost mandatory for you to get more specific information on this particular fireplace and the story behind it. It is worth getting that recorded not only for your own reference, but should you ever sell, for the new owner. I don't see it previously mentioned, but here is a good article on Spofforth: http://www.masonryconstruction.com/Images/Prolific%20in%20Brick_tcm68-1375673.pdf

It includes a contact address. If it were me? With an artist's sculpture in the middle of my house? I'd want to know all about it. There is a history there, it's part of the thing!

btw: Lucy had nothing on Spofforth except maybe first dibs on any patents, lol. I'd love to know if he was inspired in any way by this episode. I remember seeing it (am I dating myself!?) and being fascinated by the fluidity of the thing, coarse as it was. I remember being frustrated I could not get my legos to do it! lol.

(For those that haven't seen it, Ricky was building it with Lucy's "help." While he & Fred were out, she noticed her wedding ring was gone and surmised it had gotten lost in the mortar. She tore the whole thing apart with Ethel looking for it. Not finding it, she put it back together best she could. She went to wash her hands of the mortar: and found the ring on the sink window ledge)
20 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 1:40PM
jcomama
Haha, ReSquare!!! Thanks for all the compliments! Still a long way to go, but a good start!! :) :)
3 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 2:40PM
Toni Hatton
OMG -It's gotta go!!!!!
0 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 5:22PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks Resquare for pic and great info!
1 Like   August 27, 2013 at 6:13PM
kathy
Amazing - it's beginning to look like a room - that someone might actually want to be in. Much better than before. Well done.
4 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 7:31PM
jcomama
Oh, yea! Tons of work outside! All those crazy tall pines were removed and the lawn leveled! :)
6 Likes   August 28, 2013 at 6:18PM
Rina
Oh, I haven't picked up on this since its early days and I love the new setting you've given Spoffy. Suddenly one can see those fascinating 'ribbons' of brick much more clearly. Jcorrigan, you are a hero for saving our beloved beast. (We being those who get Spoffy, of course.)
4 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 2:18AM
dakota28
wow that is one weird fireplace. but i bet ripping it off would be very expensive. i think it's a good idea that you'll replace the carpet with hardwood it. i suggest you get new chairs because the colors don't go well with the colors of you fireplace. also, it would be better to get that frame in the wall, it's taking too much space and just make the fireplace look more weird. also get the lights in the ceiling. there's so much going on in the wall already and it's highlighting the fireplace. the table is not blending with everything in this room too. i suggest change it with something like the picture I've attached. I found this one from OBX trading and the size and color of it just blends with the fireplace.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 2:42AM
ahelton142
Wow !!! I don't think I've seen anything like this ! I would definitely try to work with it first. I think with the right furnishings and artwork it could be beautiful. Will make a big difference in the room when you redo the floor then you can get more insight on what to do with the fireplace. I would actually hang artwork on the brick itself . Can't wait to see what you do with this room !!!!
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 4:41AM
anna_brunelle
I love the changes. Looks great and I am just fine with the funkiness of the fireplace. Keep it. Keeping it is easy on your budget and it is historically accurate, which may add significant value to your house in the long run. Besides, who wants what everyone else has....the current trend will just go out of style anyways!
1 Like   October 3, 2013 at 9:11PM
Wyatt Beauprez
Whatever you do, keep it. It is weird as can be, but at least you have one unique fireplace. It is art.
1 Like   October 3, 2013 at 9:22PM
rgmauer
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 9:25PM
ahelton142
Have you thought about crown molding at some point on the rest of the room. There are so many comments I didn't take time to read them but would add a lot to the room! Looks great so far !!!!
1 Like   October 4, 2013 at 4:27AM
Jennifer Shoo
I'm so intrigued by this discussion! What a weird fireplace!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 8:08PM
andiandy
Do what is your taste, everyone has opinions..I will throw this one into the mix. We had a mammoth fireplace and troweled white concrete over it. We are in mid-project, haven't painted it yet (or done anything in that room) but here is an idea which would soften the curves of your fireplace and make it less busy (hide brick), and more contemporary, yet retain the cool curvy shape which I find quite compelling and unique. Here are before and after photos and a close up of the first coat, it looks rough, we did two coats and smoothed out with wet sponges as it was drying. If you did this technique, I would name your fireplace Monroe - remember Marilyn in that fab white dress! ;)
4 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 9:55AM
Susan Fox
I love how your fireplace turned out! Looks Spanish now.

Spoffie needs to stay "as is" because he was done by an artist and whether people like his work or not ( John Spofforth ) it does not change the fact that our Spoffie is unique.
Of course the owners are free to do whatever they want, I'm just saying that this is not your average fireplace.

Now....to my other problem. I STILL see an angel fish worked into the brick pattern!! Doesn't anyone else see that?
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 11:01AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi Spoff -- I thought of you today when I saw a Gaudi pop-up book at my local bookseller. Need something for the coffee table? Here's a peek: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gaudi+pop+up&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=gaudi+pop+up&sc=3-12&sp=-1&sk=
2 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 2:43PM
Christine Robertson
I revisit this discussion often just to see what has happened to Spoffie, he's become a houzz legend.
5 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 4:18PM
PRO
LB Interiors
A Super Cool legend for sure !!!
1 Like   November 19, 2013 at 4:25PM
quiltsbylisa
Wow! Now THAT'S a fireplace. I would be afraid to take a nap in that room (before the updates). It looked alive and rather menacing. I'm sure the artist/creator put an amazing amount of effort in it. What a piece of work. Just ... wow!

The new flooring and wall color are really wonderful. Best to you and your family as you continue the updates. Again ... wow!
2 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    November 19, 2013 at 4:32PM
rredpenn
Been wondering if Spoffy has had a fire inside yet. Also we're all dying to see him with the room furnished. He has so many fans on this website!
3 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    November 19, 2013 at 4:42PM
juliewatsonklassen
Well done - i think your fireplace has solicited the most ideas ever on Houzz - you should get a prize... I tend to agree with Darla - embrace this masterpiece. Decorate the room with rustic and nature in mind.... think handmade cabin in the woods.... Good luck cannot wait to see the finished product.
0 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    November 19, 2013 at 4:56PM
Judiwithani
Think you should make this quick and painless-Remove the thing, otherwise, you're at high risk for the looney bin, or least a "crick" in the neck. LOL. On a serious note, go with what you want. You'll get it right.
0 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 5:17PM
punkinspired
I would keep the fireplace. It really does have beautiful curves and a organic nature to it. It's skillfully done and to destroy it would be a shame. If you are an artsy person, like me, try creating a flow with the mortar by forming curves that flow with the insets of different angles that reach out past the surrounding. I would use light blue paint on the walls to make it seem like air and the curved lines would be the wind paint some of the brick to match the dark hue of the wind and have it fade slowly out in the wind and air.
0 Likes   November 19, 2013 at 5:28PM
craljh
Spiffy Spoffy love to see a fire in her !! or him ?
1 Like   November 19, 2013 at 5:47PM
juliewatsonklassen
Thought you might like to see this photo below - now thats a great way to mix nature with construction
7 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 4:24AM
PRO
Blinds Max
How beautiful and unique for an entryway!
0 Likes   November 21, 2013 at 1:07PM
cazzz45
my 1st thought was 'OH WOW' HEAD SPINS...not in a negative way though i love the adventure of the design so dump everything in the room and let the fire place rule and guide you. just hope you haven't or don't paint it.
0 Likes   November 27, 2013 at 5:43PM
PRO
the essentials inside
I love what 3dgci posted that looks great!
essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    January 19, 2014 at 2:33PM
Theresa Holt
Any more progress on this project?
1 Like   January 20, 2014 at 5:58AM
PRO
Stoness
Really different from anythin I've seen before!
0 Likes   January 20, 2014 at 6:01AM
jcomama
:(. No real progress...in the process of DIYing industrial style curtain rods. Purchased panels and have an eye on some other pieces. Will try to post pics of ideas! Thanks for checking in!!
4 Likes   January 26, 2014 at 7:29AM
jcomama
Hoping curtains aren't too brown. ?
3 Likes   January 26, 2014 at 7:36AM
jcomama
Oh and curtain rods on this order... And also some other industrial pieces...
4 Likes   January 26, 2014 at 7:40AM
jcomama
Feel free to share opinions! :)
3 Likes   January 26, 2014 at 7:41AM
pamelatyrrell
Hi...I love your curtain rods; we made our own picture hangers with hardware pipes like this and dropped the framed album covers from the rod with chain. It turned out very interesting. I just spent my Sunday morning reading the whole tale of your fireplace, and (having just remodeled a 1940's mediterranean house with its own degree of funk) I think you are totally on track with having a fabulous, unique environment. Sometimes you just have to let it evolve (so aren't we glad that we don't have endless resources or the fireplace might have ended up painted or pulled out). anyway, keep posting. Love it!!
2 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    January 26, 2014 at 8:19AM
studio10001
Looking good, jcorrigan! Does this mean the Spofster is getting his own monogram? :)))
3 Likes   January 26, 2014 at 8:58AM
groveraxle
Well, I like everything you've chosen. Can't wait to see when you get it all installed!
4 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    January 26, 2014 at 9:52AM
ayacht4me
Change the carpet to hardwood floors first and then paint the whole room a neutral color and your fireplace will pop - it will become the WOW in the room.
1 Like   January 26, 2014 at 10:11AM
Callie Henrichs
Ayacht4me- Beautiful hardwoods have already been installed, and the walls are repainted too. It's coming together beautifully.
3 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    January 26, 2014 at 10:21AM
jcomama
Studio...haha! I planned on using the letter on a shelf or wall... I don't think Spoff can handle anything so uniform and straight! Although the metal could probably be bent to conform! ;)
8 Likes   January 26, 2014 at 10:27AM
jcomama
Pamela, I can't tell you how glad I am that we didn't tear it out. It's still not something I would have chosen to install myself, but it definitely doesn't look like the neighbors (to say the least!). I'd love to see some shots of your picture hangers! :)
7 Likes   January 26, 2014 at 12:05PM
saratogaswizzlestick
I am so looking forward to seeing room room done and like the choices you have made so far. I love the rock pillows Groveraxel picked and hope you will add a quirky piece or two as the room calls for it. I know those are expensive but it might be worth the splurge. Love your hardwood and paint choice.
2 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    January 26, 2014 at 12:18PM
jen046
Just spent about an hour an a half being indoctrinated into "Club (cult?) Spoffy"! So much fun to find this post! I'm completely fascinated by everyone's comments and the wide spectrum of emotions evoked by dear Spoffy. You couldn't get rid of her now if you wanted to. She's famous...and rightly so!
5 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    January 26, 2014 at 5:09PM
Christine Robertson
I like the things you've chosen. Love the rug and the settee. The curtain rods and big letter add texture. You are creating something totally unique. Much more exciting and interesting that copying what " trendy" now. And Spoffy demands it by his very presence.
0 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    January 26, 2014 at 5:10PM
kley25
Love Love Love the fireplace! It is definitely unique! Would love to have this in my house! Very jealous.
1 Like   Thanked by jcomama    January 26, 2014 at 5:28PM
luvtodance
What's under the rug?
0 Likes   January 26, 2014 at 5:57PM
PRO
KSMA
JC, that's going to look amazing! The exact right choice on everything you've shown. I especially love that light fixture. And the rug is going to look spectacular on the dark flooring. Good job!
0 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    January 27, 2014 at 9:20AM
jcomama
Jen, welcome to the club!!! Hour and a half! It's been quite the saga...thought provoking on occasion and frequently humorous! Luv, it's hardwood. Thanks for the encouragement, guys!
2 Likes   January 27, 2014 at 10:07AM
PRO
KSMA
Also, I am so happy that you're happy with the fireplace. It's difficult these days to come up with something completely unique for a home, and it often requires heaps of money and even more time. I'm glad you were able to rip out the red carpet and track lighting and be left with something you can be proud of.
2 Likes   January 27, 2014 at 10:14AM
jen046
JC, maybe I'm just a slow reader! Thanks for being part of my lazy Sunday morning!
1 Like   January 27, 2014 at 7:33PM
PRO
Hurst Architecture Design and Construction
It is your home now! Confirm that you have a traditional firebox, then remove the brick. It is obvious that the brickwork is decorative and not structural so remove it. Do it before the hardwood is laid as to prevent damage.
0 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 9:31AM
Denita
Hurst, if you look up thread to Aug 25, 2013 you will see that the original poster repainted the room and changed out the flooring and the fireplace looks terrific now. :)
0 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 9:37AM
PRO
Shuler Architecture
Oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyy........................I think it will take more than paint and carpet to tone this down. It sure is a focal point.
2 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 9:45AM
Rina
Ja, Hurst. You gotta read at least some of the thread. Spoffy is now a National Monument. An amazing room is being designed around Spoffy. People will pay good money to file through that room on their way to MOMA. (Not me, until I get some more cash in bank. I live on another continent and I care more about this delicious bit of US national heritage than you do. Ag,* really.) *Gutteral g.
3 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 9:49AM
groveraxle
Good one, Rina.
1 Like   February 17, 2014 at 9:50AM
Rina
Shuler, Munch would have got Spoffy in spades.
1 Like   February 17, 2014 at 9:52AM
Rina
Yo, Groveraxle.
0 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 9:52AM
PRO
Hurst Architecture Design and Construction
I read the first 25 comments. Nothing was said about the historical nature of the home. Having grown up in and around Wright homes I am more than aware of the importance of preservation .
1 Like   February 17, 2014 at 9:57AM
Rina
Hey, Hurst ... there have just been so many more than 25 comments. This is the War and Peace of dilemmas. But I know all comments -- except from truly strange people -- are posted in good spirit. It's not so much the historical nature of the home, as the historical nature of a fireplace created by a nationally renowned artist. (And its sheer gloriousness, of course.) Go back to the beginning when you have a free weekend and chunk your way through the whole thread. You'll enjoy it. It's an expression of huge communal spirit. And Jcomama is a poster of truly heroic stature.
2 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    February 17, 2014 at 10:18AM
Rina
PS: Wright homes, lucky lucky you!
2 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 10:19AM
alenm3
OMG!!!! Ugly with a capital U! I would seal off the room and never walk back in there again! It looks like it's going to suck you in and pulverize you into ashes! I just can't stand to look at it for more than a few seconds without getting an anxiety attack. But seriously, it's just U G L Y. If you want to keep it to preserve the integrity of the home, I would just cover everything and turn it into a bookshelf and then just let the new owner know that this eyesore is still intact behind the wall if they wish to make it the focal point of the room again. Please do tell us what you end up doing with this thing. I'm dying to know! Have fun & stay away from its voracius mouth cavity just in case....hehehe.....this is the best thread ever! I can't wait to keep on reading everyone's responses & opinions on this monster thing! Have fun!
2 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 10:21AM
Denita
Go back to the post and photo of what the owner has done (Aug 25, 2013) and you will see a remarkable transformation of the room!
0 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 10:41AM
Rina
Alenm3 (who are 1 and 2?). Gaudi, Barcelona. Demolish, would you? :-))))))))
5 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 10:42AM
carole
just reposting some of the pictures.Spoffy looking much more relaxed and settled down.......wondering if there have been any more changes??
1 Like   February 17, 2014 at 10:44AM
brittalovely
I think it is a wonderful piece of art! The new look is great!
2 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 10:57AM
salthepal
Check it works first and doesn't smoke you out. Then plaster it over - paint white and slate for the actual hearth .
1 Like   February 17, 2014 at 11:10AM
Rina
Good night, Spoffsters all, pro and anti and what-is-going-on-here.
2 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 11:12AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
It's been a year since first post. I see new flooring, new lighting, and paint. But the fire place which was the 1st post looks the same. Are you keeping it as is?
0 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 11:15AM
alenm3
Rina, there's no 1 & 2 anymore... they were eaten by the ugly sculptures of the world! :) Sorry, I'm truly not a Wright fan. Can't you tell? The new hardwood floors here look amazing but I just can't look at this fireplace... it's giving me goosebumps. I stand firm in my opinion....cover it with (removable) wall of bookshelves! This is just such an interesting & emotional thread! And yes, I totally agree....Spoffy is now a true National Monument - I love its' name!
2 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 11:40AM
PRO
SoYoung Mack Design, Assoc. AIA
Facinating how viral this fireplace thread and the Roccoco furniture thread have gone.
Gaudi architecture is brilliantly twisted, surreal and often quite elegant but I'm afraid I think this fireplace is just wacky and unbalanced. If it does not truly personally speak to you,
change it. I suspect the firebox is actually a rectangle, but if not replace it with one. Then build a new plywood frame around it, plaster the surface or cover with tile and stone. See a couple of examples where I covered over dated painted brick and old facades to create new contempory looks. The gray FP is finished with Venetian plaster, has stainless steel band around opening and a concrete floating hearth with cushions, the brown FP is finished with Italian plaster with brown limestone hearth and mantel. These plasters can be done in any color you like. Hope these ideas help. Nice new floor!
2 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 11:46AM
Rina
Beautiful rooms, So Young. But the Spoffie Preservation Society says no.
0 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 10:55PM
PRO
SoYoung Mack Design, Assoc. AIA
Thanks Rina. It's been fun to listen in. So be it. The people have spoken. Long Live Spoffie!!!
3 Likes   February 17, 2014 at 11:15PM
catz1
It really irks me when people do not even read the story and throw out opinions based on nothing. The Houzz community does a really good job of being informative and polite. So cool that such a huge and diverse group of people can have this discussion (yea! for technology) and really HELP people. Thank you, to all of the professionals who have made this possible by showing choices and posting suggestions and pictures (difficult for non professionals).
Jcomama, your husband is really doing a great job! I sincerely hope he is not as grouchy as my husband while remodeling. Know you are all probably tired and DIY is hard, exhausting, time consuming work (especially when you have another job). Know you are dying for this to be finished, but try to remember that truly beautiful homes evolve. (for sure, when you have no money or time). Just beautiful.
3 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    February 18, 2014 at 1:07AM
Susan Fox
I have read and reread this feed and have been following it from the start, and I detect a trend in the last 25 or so posts. Mostly from contributors that have stumbled upon this unique challenge and wish to jump right in without doing their homework. I get the feeling that some of them think that JC and family need a support system that will ALLOW them to tear out their fireplace if they really want to, and that they are getting OVERWHELMED by contributors intimidating them into keeping it. I assure you that nothing could be further from the truth. From what I have observed, this family is MORE than capable of making up their own mind and I for one have NEVER gotten the feeling that they would ever consider living with something that they hate just because of public pressure.

This feed is starting to take on the characteristics of a subject on Facebook where everyone chimes in and not much gets contributed to the topic. I hope that participants will take the time to read up on Spoffie and enjoy the trip we have all been on. Have no fear, JC is the master of her own domain and no one is pushing her around.
6 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 7:43AM
saratogaswizzlestick
One thing that I love about this thread is JC's great sense of humor. It takes a lot of it to deal with the blunt opinions expressed on this thread. I think the artist would love to see how much discussion his piece has generated. I am a member of the Spoffie fan club. In a homogenized cookie cutter world it is liberating to see something gloriously unique.
7 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    February 18, 2014 at 8:14AM
jcomama
Oh, my goodness! Yes, yes, Spoffie isn't going anywhere soon. I actually have grown to appreciate that our fireplace doesn't look like everyone else's. I really do appreciate all the comments. I still laugh aloud at the "hater's" remarks because...well...it's a goofy fireplace! But I REALLY love that as catz said this is such a WONDERFUL group of people on Houzz! There's only so much my husband, quasi- SIL, and mom can hear of my obsessing!! ;) So, thanks for being there for me, everyone!! This is overly emotional and maybe a little cheesy, but I can't believe how much of a community this is! We'll have to get that happy hour on the calendar! ;) As for the project, we are definitely at a slow and go phase. Curtains are up and I stole the rug out of my daughter's room to get idea of the size I'll need, but it's not staying. I'll try to get a couple pics up soon. Susan, it's like you know me!!! I love you guys!!!
14 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 2:01PM
lake1114
saratoga-I think you are so right. I am sure the artist would be thrilled to see the discussion that his work has generated. Isn't that the goal of most artists? Thought provoking work that creates numerous opinions and in the case, shaking heads which I think is exactly what he wanted to accomplish. Thanks to houzz, the world has seen his work and whether you like his work or not, he has succeeded in his goal.
5 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 2:21PM
ginniesteiger
getting rid of the lights, the red carpet and the crazy paint will help a lot. It's kind of wonderful actually
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 2:24PM
wanderbug
Ok, i at least skimmed the whole thread, ;) I think you are doing a great update, love the changes you've made. It' also awesome that originality is winning this round! But I seem to have missed which wall color you ended up choosing. It's wonderful, I like it very much. What is it?
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 2:59PM
Susan Fox
You bet JC, I got your back girlfriend! LOL
2 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    February 18, 2014 at 3:25PM
alenm3
That's it....I'm throwing my towel in defeat... You'll Spoffie lovers win!!! After so many loyal followers how can I not grow fond of this monster?! Keep the monster!...It's got personality! Ugly, twisted and unbalanced personality but boy so truly unique! Dear Spoffie, I will keep my eyes on this thread and wish you the best. Please don't eat the homeowners, they seem like very nice people. Hope to see you someday on HGTV! You're already a legend!
5 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    February 18, 2014 at 4:40PM
saratogaswizzlestick
Alenm3, so glad Spoffie has finally won you over. Unique, and endearingly quirky this guy (don't you see this fireplace as a guy) is bound to win over the doubters. HGTV, this room needs it's own special. So glad the right homeowner, JC, bought this house.
3 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    February 18, 2014 at 6:16PM
sbrustein
I would paint it the same color as the wall. It's making me dizzy!!
0 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 6:20PM
bubbasgma
We LOVE Spoffie!!
6 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 6:44PM
alenm3
Saratogas, sometimes it's not the look, but personality what wins your heart. And yes, this guy, ugly as he may be, has a ton of personality. You can't help but love him! He's kind a cute!
3 Likes   February 18, 2014 at 7:55PM
jpp221
It looks like a monster uterus
1 Like   February 18, 2014 at 8:30PM
sandpat
Late comer to your party, but oh, what a great fun thread and room! Love what you are doing with Spoffie and can't wait to see what happens next!
3 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    February 18, 2014 at 8:37PM
jcomama
Haha!! I think that's a new one, jpp!! Sapphire, I have been thinking of a way to make Spoffie less intimidating. Love the branch accessories you shared. What do you guys think of growing ivy up the fireplace?? Not sure what would happen to it when we have a fire in there though. We do on occasion..
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 1:52PM
jcomama
Wanderbug, we went with SW Balanced Beige.
1 Like   February 19, 2014 at 1:56PM
lake1114
All this conversation about how spoffie looks and I don't remember reading anything before about him actually working! That's quite a bonus lucky you!
3 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 2:45PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
jco -- So glad to hear you fire him up on occasion!
2 Likes   February 19, 2014 at 2:50PM
PRO
NuBirch Custom Cabinetry
Hey Jcomama,

You should really consider keeping that fireplace and sprucing up your space to flow with it. We haven't really seen many fireplaces of this style and feel that it could be a great opportunity for you to create a unique space for you and your guests in the comfort of your home. If you ever have any design dilemmas feel free to visit our site www.NuBirch.com to gain more inspiration for all your remodeling needs!

Team NuBirch
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 8:45AM
lake1114
Newbies to the thread are always welcome. BUT, the rest of us would really appreciate it if you would actually read the thread before making your comments. If NuBirch had done so, they would see that the homeowners have been working the room around spoffie for some time now and are making great strides in enhancing his appearance. (no offense NuBirch I know it's a long one)
4 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 10:07AM
okdokegal
I do think the hardwood floor and color of floor is a winner.
I don't like the yellowish walls and like some of the mockups showing a more cool grey tone; I think that would make this fireplace and the colors in it look better.

It's not my style, but there's a lot of good advice here. Would like to see the finished room furnished out.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 10:32AM
Denita
okdokegal, a finished room was posted last Monday Feb 17th about 30 posts above yours. It looks much, much nicer!
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 10:58AM
carole
no,Denita,i think that was a 3d compagnie,goodlooking room,but not by jcomomma
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 11:11AM
Denita
No, Carole kindly reposted the finished room because it actually was completed and posted by jcomama on Aug 25th 2013 and posted. Then a bunch of people missed it so carole reposted it so you didn't have to search as far up the thread to find it :)
2 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 11:32AM
PRO
LB Interiors
@Jcomama. Maybe it would be a good idea to start a 'new dilemma' with your updated photo of the current progress if you want more suggestions for finishing the room. Or maybe just post on this one that this one is closed? I see that many are not reading the thread and not seeing your new updates to the room : )
3 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 11:55AM
saratogaswizzlestick
Denita this was posted August. So the beautiful bones of the room are there but not the finished room. Many mock ups though so I can understand you thinking it is done.
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 4:16PM
Denita
Yes, I'm sorry. I should have specified that the bones are done, not the room. :( The whole time I was focused on wall color and flooring and Spoffie. Thank you saratogaswizzlestick
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 4:58PM
bgfuqua
and ???
0 Likes   June 2, 2014 at 11:14PM
fixitlouie
the mason was tripping on acid when he built that one man looks crazy..
0 Likes   June 8, 2014 at 3:05PM
peetsoo
fixitlouie..............not everyone is meant to appreciate things that are unique and creative.........to each his own............
2 Likes   June 8, 2014 at 4:59PM
millybolton
When's the Spoffie Open Day??? - i'll need lot's of notice to save for my airfare from the land down under!!
0 Likes   June 8, 2014 at 8:48PM
sally78
Rip it down as fast as you can. Sometimes "unique" is not a good thing. That fireplace is not a good thing… : (
0 Likes   June 8, 2014 at 9:28PM
studio10001
sally78, read back and you can see what has been done with Spoffie so far. Or call the pizza guy and start from the top......:)
6 Likes   June 8, 2014 at 9:34PM
Susan Fox
So glad to see that the "Spoffie" fan club is still generating interest! I get so excited when there is a Houzz notice in my e-mail. It is like hearing from an old friend .
Anything new JC? You know, your long time admirer's secretly worry a little that Spoffie could turn on his owners , and we haven't heard from you for awhile, so , are you still hanging in there friend? Hope so! Give us a "howdy", OK?
3 Likes   June 9, 2014 at 4:29AM
saratogaswizzlestick
I hope we do get a Spoffie update. This room really calls for an imaginative design to complement this unique art piece.
2 Likes   June 9, 2014 at 5:04AM
chloebud
To ReSquare Architecture...if you happen to see this, that Lucy episode is the FIRST thing I thought of when I saw the fireplace photo.
2 Likes   June 9, 2014 at 11:28AM
PRO
North Star Stone
WOW! That is definitely one of the most "unique" fireplaces we've ever seen. The update you posted in February looks great, what will you be doing with the fireplace??
1 Like   June 9, 2014 at 7:16PM
jcomama
Hey, all!! Weelll, as evidenced by the fireplace, this ole' house is a wonder of 1970. That means there is MUCH to be done to just keep up around here!! Right now we are focused on some outdoor projects and I'm sorry to say Spoffie has been a bit neglected. :(. The light I posted before has been ordered though it's on back order... I've been looking like crazy for a 66" loveseat that will fit the space. West Elm's Jackson is a front runner as well as CB2's Avec sea salt apartment sofa. I'll try to attach images. :). Thanks for checking in!!!
8 Likes   June 10, 2014 at 12:50PM
jcomama
The first is the CB2, the second is the Jackson from WE and the third is a budget option from Macy's but it's only 60".
3 Likes   June 10, 2014 at 1:09PM
bgfuqua
so glad you are back here !
0 Likes   June 10, 2014 at 1:25PM
groveraxle
Look at Thrive Furniture, as well:
3 Likes   June 10, 2014 at 2:05PM
jcomama
Ooh! Cool stuff at Thrive!
1 Like   June 10, 2014 at 7:01PM
partim
You're creating a fabulous room.
2 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    June 10, 2014 at 8:00PM
craljh
Consider looking at sofas with one long cushion {like Thrive} . My two cushions get stupid looking.
0 Likes   June 11, 2014 at 9:28AM
PRO
LB Interiors
For your room, I think I like a solid back without cushions. Seems to go with the room. Clean and retro. Not sure of the comfort for these sofas? WE sofa appears more comfortable.
0 Likes   June 11, 2014 at 11:33AM
groveraxle
FWIW, I can't speak to the comfort of any of these sofas, but I recall someone on one of these threads lamenting her purchase of the WE Henry sofa, saying it was the most uncomfortable thing she ever sat on. If there is any way to do an actual butt test, by all means, do.
1 Like   June 11, 2014 at 2:51PM
saratogaswizzlestick
I am so excited to see you back jcomama. Love the style of the sofas you are considering.
1 Like   June 11, 2014 at 4:39PM
njmomma
*watching the progress :-)
1 Like   June 11, 2014 at 4:47PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Hi there, me popping up again after lots of spotifying has been done. I still like my original suggestions, I made for you wayyyyyy back there. Now, no matter what sofa you decide on for style, do the sit test, then do your due diligence on how the sofa is made. Check on if it's a Hardwood frame, what spring system they use, foam core or down wrap, also if you have one long seat cushion, try to turn it yourself, is it too bulky, does it need to be turned over regularly? Have a good look inside, ask lots of questions and look it over carefully. Do seams line up, welting done properly, zippers have a smooth unimpeded movement. With so much off shore product on the market now, quality construction seems to have suffered. Will come back to see what you decided on and how the Spoffy welcomes the new sofa.
0 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    June 11, 2014 at 10:25PM
millybolton
love the solid block colour you've picked. I have a sofa in the similar colour - i was worried about it getting dirty but 7 years later it still looks fine. Width is important to make sure it fits in the space - but don't forget the depth. I reckon the depth of the seat is really really important in sofa comfort. Mine has 26" space in front of the back cushions. Often, lower priced sofas have narrower seats. anyway, that's just my preference. enjoy!
0 Likes   Thanked by jcomama    June 13, 2014 at 6:12PM
Melissa Freeman
Haven't read the comments!
But LOL with the title :)
Does look like a monster! Lol
1 Like   June 13, 2014 at 6:42PM
Theresa Holt
Check out Furniturelandsouth.com I was peeking around this morning and there may be a few things that turn your crank. I agree with millybolton depth of seats is key or else you feel like you are sitting in the principle's office wating room.
1 Like   Thanked by jcomama    June 15, 2014 at 4:58AM
Maryl Hershelman
Been following this since the beginning. I'm glad you're taking your time to design the room around the fireplace....I'll check back in a few months. Have fun!
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 7:50AM
rredpenn
Hey JC! Wondering if you ever found a sofa befitting the Spoffie room? I think about your room sometimes and thought I'd check back... If you are still scratching your head regarding a sofa, I got one similar this summer. Loving it! It's a Blake sofa by Norwalk...they make a 67" condo size. Here's the link, and a photo of mine done in a blue Crypton fabric. Cheers! http://www.norwalkfurniture.com/furniture/detail.dT/blake-sofa-71670
0 Likes   August 8, 2014 at 5:29AM
Christine Robertson
Just checking in again to see what's happened. Hope the room is developing nicely.
1 Like   October 15, 2014 at 5:59PM
Theresa Holt
found an artist that might work in your room http://www.ayoungstudios.com
0 Likes   October 19, 2014 at 8:46AM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.