Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help! Paid a small fortune for window treatments that I don't like
erikagp
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The fabric across the top on my window treatments does not work with the color on the walls. During the day, the way the light comes in the room, makes the fabric look as if it were dirty and covered in dust, and you can hardly see the pattern. It looked good on the pillows (right) bug not on the walls. I love the blue and gold fabric on the pillows, the chairs on the kitchen are covered with the same fabric, and they are clearly visible from the family room. Can someone recommend another fabric that would work? I am also open to changing the color on the walls. Any help is greatly appreciated. I wish I had found this site before!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
erikagp
For some reason the picture with the pillows didn't post, here it is
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 11:49AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
If you are seeing daylight through the floral part of the window treatment which makes it look different from the pillows, then it's because whoever ordered the treatment for you did not specify lining the top treatment with blackout lining. I suggest you explain the situation to this person and ask that she take responsibility for replacing the lining with one that does not allow daylight to show through.
9 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:09PM
mmilos
Agree with Carolyn. Think it looks good in your picture. Have them add blackout lining.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 12:16PM
Judit
I think it's cool, looks posh! And imagined these cream sofas in there :)
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 12:21PM
michigammemom
I don't mind the wall color with your window treatments. You might feel like the valance looks dingy because of the contrast with the ultra white blinds.
4 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:25PM
erikagp
Hi and thanks for replying, the valance is lined, so no light comes through it. This picture was taken at night, which is the only time you can actually see the valance. during the day, it looks like a mass of light brown with spots on it :-)
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:31PM
kingsfield
I like the window treatments with the wall color. I also think the blinds are too white for the drapes. Could you post a picture of the blinds pulled up?
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:31PM
erikagp
I see what you mean with about the ultra light blinds, do you recommend replacing those instead of changing the wall color?
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:34PM
erikagp
I tried taking a picture with the blinds pulled up, but with so much daylight you can't see much. I will take one tonight
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:39PM
txlal
I don't think that its the fabric-----its the style of valance !! very dated, quite "formal" but does go with wood furniture......upholstered pieces appear more causual. So my suggestion is to decide on what "style"/"look" you are going for...........If formal, perhaps remove mid tassell on valance. If you want a more relaxed look-----ditch the valance completely and accent with existing pillow and bring in more blue !!
Good Luck !
6 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:43PM
erikagp

what do you all about these window treatments?
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:44PM
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
i would get rid off the valance and keep the pannels - put them on decorative rods(since you already in the minus $), or fix your pannels as it shows on the pic just not as far apart.
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:46PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I have no doubt that your valances are lined, but if you are seeing light coming through them in the daytime, then the lining is not blackout lining.
3 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:47PM
Genevieve
You could try reversing the furniture to begin with . Window treatments are expensive and if you have just had them done try to work with them for a bit introduce more colours to the room .Can you pull those panels to cover the windows or are they stationary?
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 12:48PM
PRO
PS: i have a recycling idea for you - reupholster the upper part of the ottoman from the valance fabric:)))
4 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:49PM
erikagp
Hi txlal! When you say accent with existing pillow, do you mean on the furniture? Or should I add more blue to the window treatments?
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 12:51PM
erikagp
That is a great idea!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:46PM
erikagp
Hi Genevieve, The panels are stationary. I am open to introducing more colors, what do you suggest for the furniture?
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:51PM
PRO
you have double height windows - why not to make curtains longer?
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 2:28PM
lessismoore
I "think" your problem with the valances is that they are "gathered" so the design, which is fairly large, doesn't read well for you any more (as it does in the pillow). Ideally I wish you could have a more subtle valance there (smaller print) with less contrast to the drapes, but that still has some light colors to tie into your walls/white shades. Hope the picture posts ...
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 3:10PM
eoakes
Use the valance fabric for something else in the room, like the ottoman. I feel like the pattern just isn't working up there.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 3:15PM
Madi
Stick with a solid pattern for window treatments. The dark blue in the pillow wouldn't let as much light through.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 3:19PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would take down the Valance and just put up a Decorative rod that curves with the window . I would keep the panel they look great it will look alot more modern with out the valance.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/drapery-hardware.html
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 3:52PM
Aja Mazin
Look at the patterned pillow on the floor.

Blackout fabric will not solve your problem.

The carpet and wall colours do not work with lovely red pattern on white.

Either change the valance or change the wall colour and carpet.

And the red strips in the valance do not seem to match the colour of the curtains and the red in the valence clashes with the panels,

[this should be an easy decision.]

We pay so called "pros " to avoid these mistakes.
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 4:14PM
Aja Mazin
"I see what you mean with about the ultra light blinds, do you recommend replacing those instead of changing the wall color?"

No.

The valances simply do not coordinate with the panels.
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 4:23PM
Genevieve
I would get a couple chairs and cover them t with the same fabric used for the valance set them on fron of the windows and rearange the rest of the furniture ,use green and turquoise those are the colours that you have in the fabric ,a tall glass vase for example set on a table or even a lamp would do the trick http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=59154796
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 4:58PM
Genevieve
I like things that are a bit different then everyone elses so I found this lamp for you . http://www.lightinthebox.com/Aegean-Sea-Style-Blue-Glass-3-light-Zinc-Alloy-Table-Lamp-0925-T9874-_p115361.html

About something like this one http://www.furniturestorenc.com/Item_Riverview_Galleries_-2108396800~731532+534+533+541.aspx

Oh! furniture I will see what I can find :)
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 5:03PM
erikagp
So many great ideas! Here is The picture that someone requested with all the blinds pulled up. Also, I do have one chair with the same fabric...do I just get rid of the big couch by the window?
3 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:43PM
Genevieve
Perfect
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:46PM
erikagp
Hi Nadia, I thought about getting longer panels but the rest of the family voted against it :-) I am sold on the idea of removing the balance, and as many pf you suggested, I can use the fabric on some of the furniture. I really like the picture in the left you posted with the green panels, I am thinking on doing the shorter version.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:55PM
PRO
ok! the back of the chairs ARE the same fabric as the valance, so - ottoman has to be in a light solid colour, recycling idea is no longer working:))
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:56PM
erikagp
As I was getting excited about buying the blue lamp, I noticed that is out of stock! I will be on the lookout for something similar
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:59PM
erikagp
Oh no! Is it too much of the same fabric? Why does it not work on the ottoman?
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:00PM
PRO
Hi Erika! then you can use the printed fabric to make about 12' long stripe on the top ov the pannels,look carofully @ the pic how it's made. the tieback holders are not that costly,so you won't spend too much. and i also posted a message about ottoman,:)))
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 6:04PM
Genevieve
since the seat of the chair isn't the same as the back and depending on the shape of the ottoman I would choose a plain fabric for it .
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 6:05PM
erikagp
Another view of the room
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 6:08PM
PRO
Yes Dear! Cushions, back of the chairs plus ottoman - way too much!
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:08PM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I'm with Carolyn - have the lining changed to black out.

How do you feel about the walls this colour
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:13PM
PRO
i would make a seat of that chair with printed fabric as well:))
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 6:15PM
erikagp
Nadia would you post the picture again? The first one Is not very clear
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:22PM
erikagp
Carolyn, I love it! But my husband is dead set against red on the walls, I actually have two niches painted red but that's all I could get away with :-)
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:26PM
PRO
i'm not @ the desk top right now , can it wait untill tomorrow. it maden as a sleeve cuff ,so you can use the same fabric or printed,
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:32PM
PRO
Agree, or at least the large toss cushions.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:33PM
PRO
Show him what a difference it makes. It makes the draperies look less imposing and also takes your eye up so you take advantage of the height. I know, men can be soooo difficult :-)
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:36PM
PRO
more red?????
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:39PM
PRO
Consider two chairs in the window with the table in between. In a complimentary fabric, but not the same. Can the big chair and ottoman go anywhere else in the room?
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 6:45PM
PRO
If the panels and valance are staying I'd consider it and then two chairs in a different fabric that co-ordinates with what's there. It all depends on what's staying and what's going. I understood that there was a big cost with the draperies and was trying to suggest a way to tie the room together without going into the expense of more draperies.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:49PM
Leona N
Wow...with the walls painted red, you could keep the valances....what a difference!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 7:39PM
erika123456
What do you think about using the pattern fabric on the bottom half of the pannels (and remove the valance, of course)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:55AM
Genevieve
I like it the way you have it now ,if you took the valance down there will always be something missing on top Put the large sofa on front of the window , try to place thos chairs by the window. this way the pattern will blend with the panels
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:11AM
PRO
here is that pic
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:20AM
PRO
i would not use the pattern fabric on the bottom
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:35AM
Genevieve
I like the picture with only the panels but this means adding more fabric to the ones already in place unless they are long enough to obtain that look , this all depends on the budget but if money isn't the issue go with just plain panels .
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:40AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Keep the drapes, ditch the valances. I think her description of the light and the dingy valances is not about the light coming through the valances, but with the amount of light that comes into the room note there are also open transoms over these windows so the light is so intense that you cannot see the valances not matter what the material. If you feel the light is too intense..you can always have a film such as Vista Film applied to the window..problem solved. We have all seen this. Now back to the drapes..Hang drapes on continuous rod, drapes hand straight down..keep it simple. I would not use the valances anywhere else..The fabric in the pillows is much more interesting. Add additional pillows, larger and cover the chair with the pillow fabric completely. OR a large patterned rug..that would be my choice.
7 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:43AM
Aja Mazin
The colours in the valance do not go with the colour of the panels.

What was the designer thinking.?

The window treatment looks like a Christmas decoration.

I would be having a little chat with the designer.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 9:00AM
Genevieve
On the contrary , there is red in the floral fabric ,the designer chose the strongest colour and made the panels according to it .
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:06AM
Aja Mazin
Looking at the window treatment makes me want to sing Christmas Carols.

The reds do not match!

After placing the order, I am guessing the dye lots changed big time.

Your decorator should have caught it and changed it before it was delivered to you.

No!

Do not try to "make it work."!

We do not have to go through this when we have paid our good money for an expensive window treatment.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:10AM
Jayme H.
I think the valance is not that great looking and does not add to the room, is too distracting...I would keep the panels and get rid of it.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 9:19AM
PRO
thank you Barbara!!!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:19AM
nycowboy
Wish my living room looked that nice...
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:23AM
Nancy Hehmann
If you like the valances, I think the picture without the blinds looks very nice. I would just get a darker color blind or do away with them (if you don't need them for privacy. Can the drapes be closed at night?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:32AM
alisonheppell
Plain red ,matching ,onthe valance would be more elegant
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:32AM
Genevieve
Why are you yelling ? This fabric was chosen by the owner first of all , to me this means that she must have liked it and agreed on the design . My suggestion to "make it work" was strictly because the title read "Paid a small fortune" this kept me from suggesting to remove the valance in the first place . Again if money isn't the issue opt for just the panels . The colour of the sofa should compliment the fabric used if not find one that does.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 9:36AM
erika123456
Oh my.....didn't mean to start an argument :-) I appreciate all the responses and the great suggestions.. Right now I am at work and can't look at all the postings, but it will be the first thing I do when I get home....can't wait.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:40AM
msrn
OK, I'm not a designer but I have a suggestion: Since the shades don't work, why not switch them out with the same woven wood blinds from the connecting room ( as seen in your second set of photos). It will give the room a more comfortable and casual vibe, especially if they need to be used during the day. Plus there will be more continuity between rooms. Just a thought...
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:57AM