Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New rug
sondramartina
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Does this rug works here? It is textured.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
No, I believe you are asking the question because you can see that it is all not quite working. I would choose a pattern rug with color if everything else stays as is, which is great by the way....Now, instead, if you replace that great picture with something very large and very colorful...that may be a different story. You could then accent with your bright colored pillows but with pattern on them. The area is missing pattern.
3 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 11:52AM
sheaba
reframe a huge piece of wall paper...reuse current frame...cheap burst of color
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:09PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
You know, a rug with only gray, black, white, and bright yellow would be awesome! Take a look at some on line..then the picture over the sofa (which I really like) would still be perfect.
3 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 10:34PM
designideas4me
I like your new rug. I know your trying hard to put this together. What did you decide for your ding table? See I like monocromatic and simple. But I an not sure what you like. We all like different things and thats why you get so much advice that conflicts. Can you poat one pic that best represents who you are and what you would like that room to look like??
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 10:58PM
Darzy
Agree. Nice rug, but not here.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 11:02PM
designideas4me
Just do a darker coffee table and accessories that have white and gray and black. Thats the modern look. It works fine if you do that. That rug is classier than the zebra
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 11:19PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
No zebra rug...love the white table.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 11:27PM
Aja Mazin
I like the look!

It is fresh and unique.

However, I personally do not like the table and would prefer a more substantial table!

In fact, I would opt for colour.
4 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:06AM
Susanna
I assume that you like the rug and want it to work? Then, I agree with Aja that the table is the problem. Take it away and it is instantly better. Add a more substantial table with a stronger leg or base, and the rug looks even better still. Bright yellow table...well.....personal preference thing.... I would choose wood like the floor and accessories in yellow but whatever you like.

I would also suggest that you think about a different frame for the great photo. Is that Paris? I think you have too many grays all at once on the wall and the photo is losing its detail. The wall is one gray, the frame another and the photo a third. I think it needs a break up of the grays. I would suggest you reframe to match the floor or black. If it is not in the budget then paint the existing frame. I think you will find that more tones in the photo show up.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:46AM
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
A very nice room so far. i agree that the room needs texture and pattern. This can all be done monchromatically. While the table is the weak link try some upscale looking accssories on it rather than what is one there now. Moving the vase of flowers to it might be the trick. I love yellow and grey so find some pillows that have both colors in a pattern or texture to help pull the room together. You are almost there.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 3:04AM
Aja Mazin
Gray would be quite nice.
The 1st is from Ikea for $119

The 2nd is a Koi Gray Coffee Table
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 3:04AM
michigammemom
Something like the Regency area rug from CB2 would be a colorful addition to your contemporary room.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 4:40AM
Tracey Katz
I agree it looks great, don't change the rug, but change the table.. White on white and it just gets lost. Either go for some colour, or a nice wood to warm up the space. Also perhaps add pattern with Pillows, the ones you have are great, just use same colour but in a pattern instead. Love your space!!
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 5:37AM
shart743
What mood are you trying to create in the room? Right now you have the neutral gray with two splashed of warm color ( 2 yellow pillows). There is a reflective surface (couch) and matte (rug, pillow etc) How about using more of the yellow and introducing texture and/or pattern, whether it is on the table,pillows, a chair etc. The white table floats on the white rug. The floor surface needs to be grounded.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:58AM
Jayme H.
The rug could work with a darker table..(If you want that look and not a more colorful, l patterned) I like more simplicity...think u could still use it.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:09AM
groveraxle
And please keep the artwork over the sofa. I agree it could use a bit more substantial frame--or perhaps no frame at all--but it creates a lovely ambiance in the room.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:24AM
Aja Mazin
So groveraxle,

do you need a room mate?

lol
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:48AM
groveraxle
I already have two roommates, Aja, but they are kind of messy. Basset hounds you know. But maybe if you bring that fab yellow table with you...
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:58AM
designideas4me
That rug you posted is weird.............it looks like a bunch of squid eyeballs..............lol
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 9:35AM
Jayme H.
I thought fish eggs/no offense intended in any way.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:37AM
sondramartina
OMG There is party over here !
I did not know that this post event went thru because i lost internet connection during upload! No e-mail notifications either.
Yes I realized that white table and pale rug don’t go together. In mean time I found this one. It does shed, it is hand tufted wool rug .I know they all shed in the beginning but i don't know if some of them never stop shedding.
3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:09AM
sondramartina
@Designideas4me Regarding the dining table :Hubby promised to make so called "live edge" table top We are just waiting for little bit warmer weather .He has some nice ash boards in the garage,we have table base ,so it should be cheap and look great,i I hope.
Thanks for asking.
And I keep forgetting to say that big gray painting will be replaced soon,it is only temporary there.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:24AM
groveraxle
I think it's too much yellow. I think you should aim for yellow and gray (either with or without squid eyeballs, lol). My personal favorite is the Ambiance rug above. I think it's pricey though.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:25AM
groveraxle
"And I keep forgetting to say that big gray painting will be replaced soon,it is only temporary there."

NOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:25AM
sondramartina
groveraxle :)) I stole it from my son just to fill empty wall. But who knows maybe i can just paint it little bit,one day. Not that i am an artist but i could make it look abstract LOL
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:40AM
sondramartina
How about these two?
You guys will save me from taking them back and forth,thank you very much.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:52AM
designideas4me
Yep .. we are having a party without you.... someone even brought caviar..............lol..............fish egg rug
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:02AM
Jayme H.
That's Caviar....Darling, A Caviar Rug!! lol
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:06AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You really need something that makes a bit more of a statement.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 11:13AM
Alaina D
I agree with most of what was said here with needing a different table but I am very inspired by this room! I am looking to replace flooring and paint walls and have a couch very close to the same color so have been looking for ideas...LOVE the floor coloring and the walls! Wonder how long the rug would stay clean tho...i have two cats. I'm sure as soon as they saw the rug they'd find a way to produce a hairball.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:45PM
sondramartina
I have one cat ,she does not produce hairballs (maybe she does it outside),so I am not concerned about that ,just her scratching instinct. .I can not replace coffee table ,there is no end! It does not look bad in reality . Alaina show us your pictures once you get something in your room. Best of lack and do some planning before ,not like me. :)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:55PM
designideas4me
Everytime my mother sees a soft white rug she wants it but the last one I brought home was so soft and silky and beautiful that she was afraid to put it in her room..........oh it was very white. So that didnt work too well. I guess as much as I am trying to do a white gray color scheme in there I will have to go with a darker color. But Alaina the pic I showed you of my room with the large light gray rug I have had for 3 years and it looks brand new. Even know Babybear does on ofccation throw up on it I am able to use the bissel deep steam cleaner and it comes right out.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:36PM
designideas4me
I like this rug for you. Get rid of the yellow pillows. Use more delicate patterned white gray black pillows 2 on one side and one on the other..different sizes. Change your pic above couch..in fact take it down now if its not going to be there cuz people keep telling you what to do with it..lol
http://www.plummersfurniture.com/accessories/rugs/item/3701

Oh and for art... get a metal or wood or some tyle of interesting texural design form.. not a picture..not a poster... look at the art that plummers has to get ideas.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:43PM
Aja Mazin
sondramartina,

I realize you can not replace the coffee table.
Could you paint either yellow or black?
Home made chalk paint is so quick, easy, and inexpensive.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:09PM
sondramartina
Aja i would love to try painting furniture if i only had 12 more hours in my day. Maybe one weekend i'll try some diy project.
There was this one as well
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:34PM
Yolanda
Hi Sondramartina, do you know who makes the yellow rug with the overlapping circles? I'm looking for something just like that! thanks! :)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:43PM
sondramartina
Yolanda it is from Home Sense. I did not check who makes it but you can try to load this pic in google image search.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:57PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.