Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help with Paint Color / Rug Color
kim_evans205
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Newly purchased house with awful interior colors :( We want to put a gray color on the wall where it is beige and put white wainscoating over the stripe wall paper. The custom made green rug was layed in the hard wood and that is coming out too. We purchased a beautiful gray cast iron light fixture to replace the gold one. The china cabinet and dining room table/chairs are ours so we want them to match with the wall color and new rug. Help on wall and rug colors. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
My best advice is to add your wainscoting, and replace/repair your hardwood floor and hang your new light fixture, then find a rug YOU really like..Plan everything else around it. Next choose a new fabric for your chairs, choose long drapery panels in a solid color (95") panels, probably a neutral, hung high and off the window. NOW choose your paint color and shade you want. Then purchase paint samples from those choices to paint on poster board, tape it on each wall and look at it during the day & night.
January 27, 2013 at 12:17PM     
kim_evans205
Thank you! We just got purchase the dining room set so I don't think we are going to re-do the chairs as my husband loves them, so we will just have to match with them :)
January 27, 2013 at 12:24PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Then that is perfect..they are very neutral and would go with anything..just find a rug that you love and go from there.
January 27, 2013 at 12:26PM   
txlal
Best advice....purchase beautiful rug that you LOVE----then use lightest color for wall, brightest color fo accent and for long drapery. Rug will be most expensive piece----drapery, unless custom made, can be very cost effective. And "colored accents in hutch can be either very very cost or ....NOT ! Mixing
expensive with inexpensive ----great designer-on-a-budget-trick !!
Good Luck !
January 27, 2013 at 12:35PM