Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Exterior paint colours for Aussie Farm house
kjfieldwith5
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
After fixing a bit of damage. Our home and granny flat are in need of a repaint. We are looking for some ideas and wanted a feature front door which is out the back. Also wanted to jazz up a bit by adding trims around windows though not shutters. The roof is a darker red than appears in photo. Manor Red
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kjfieldwith5
Manor Red
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 2:45PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I don't think you can go wrong leaving it white. If you do want a change though a pale yellow with a teal/turquoise door would be splashy!
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 2:47PM
kjfieldwith5
Yes I agree but the amount of whites is very daunting!!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 4:21PM
gillianlf
This search will show you some ideas on Houzz http://www.houzz.com/photos/outdoor/red-roof-
I like the soft putty brown stucco three or four images down perhaps with a darker taupe trim color. The yellower tan could also work. In what part of Australia are you living. Do you have very saturated sunlight up north or not so much down south. I would stick to more muted colors if you have less intense sun and brighten up if it is more intense.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 4:41PM
gillianlf
Also, a sage green door could look nice with the suggestions I made above.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 4:53PM
kjfieldwith5
Thank you
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:33AM
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Hello there fellow Aussie! You wouldn't consider re-painting the roof at all? I say this because I feel this colour is making your house outdated.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:53AM
kjfieldwith5
Would live too! But hubby won't be in it. As we would have to do all four dwellings.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 11:54PM
kjfieldwith5
*love too
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 11:54PM
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Okay, here are my suggestions. As it is I quite like the contrast that exists between the walls and the roof but I realise you want a change so I'd suggest a colorbond colour EVENING HAZE for the walls and WOODLAND GREY for trims. A color called INDIAN RED by British Paints would be great for a brave and bold front door. I would also bring some of these colours into your landscape somehow with claret coloured foliage in shrubs here and there. Good luck
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 4:20PM
lefty47
HI -- I love the Aussie style houses ! I grew up in a house with a red roof and it had a beautiful yellow paint on the main body of the house . Then you could have a black front door or a dark navy or green . Then you could add more trim around the windows in white and have black accents such as plant pots and planters etc. Our house had lots of red flowers in the summer ,--- real pretty. You could also add some details to the veranda , such as railings and fancy brackets and fretwork( gingerbread ).
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 4:52PM
PRO
Michael Kilpatrick Design
KJ,
The colors that Virtual suggested are great.
Consider changing the inner portion of the house, that which is setback and covered by the porch roofs in the Evening Haze and then painting the portions which step forward and that frame the main porch areas in a grey green such as Colorbond Pale Eucalypt. The green balances out the recessed areas and, I think, makes the roof look less daunting.

You might want to consider a tree or two as well.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 4:55PM
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 4:55PM
diannthusdesigns
Love the side elevation of your house - you have really got it going on there. Looks like you have dark stained doors there, so I would repeat that.
An important thing to do is paint the foundation a nice dark neutral like grey, to "ground" the house. Then add some more low, dark colored foundation plants and curve the beds out further from the house.
The porch posts need to be beefed up, at least 6" x6" with nice trim. Then add a nice simple railing between the posts, paint it white and stain the top cap to match the door. This would really bring attention to your lovely porch.
Add some hanging plants on chains between the posts. Fabulous! Sit out and drink some iced tea.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 5:36PM
kjfieldwith5
Thank you so much for all the suggestions. Sorry for late reply I have been away. We are in the process of adding trees as we love all the beautiful birds they attract. I love idea of painting foundation a different colour. We are putting more trims around windows as feature. Thank you I now have some ideas to play with.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:12PM