Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Huge fieldstone fireplace in need of recamping
luke2431
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
House built in the seventies--fireplace in greatroom is overwhelming with black grout that is uneven ..the greatroom will be taupe walls with soft white trim--should i paint the fieldstone the same as the trim and get the right size mantel and paint it with the same trim color? I welcome all advice
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
sandkshouse
Don't think I'd paint the fireplace the same color as the trim. Maybe paint it just a shade or two darker than the walls and then paint the mantel the same color as the trim. After that, painting the doors black would look good (make sure you use a high heat paint).
January 27, 2013 at 3:12pm   
luke2431
thank you for that!~!!!!!!!!!!
January 27, 2013 at 3:14pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I would not paint the stone. You could add lighter grout but painting the stone you will live to regret.
January 27, 2013 at 3:24pm     
Dar Eckert
I like your stone and think painting it would destroy it. Instead get a larger mantle either chunky wood beam or paint it the color of the grout. Then get a black fireplace surround. Stainless steel accents would also look nice against the stone. As far as taupe for the room maybe select a color from the stone, something warm.
January 27, 2013 at 3:29pm     
PRO
Moonstone Redwood
I would take a log the height of the wall and split the log in half and vertically frame the stone.
coat the log halves with a Minwax clear satin polyurethane. I would replace the mantle with a six inch thick slice of a log with a live front edge. The log halves and mantle should be a darker rich color as to contrast the stone. Make the faleplace wall the focal point of the room and design off of the focal point.
January 27, 2013 at 3:44pm   
Jayme H.
Agree with not painting the stone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 27, 2013 at 3:49pm     
luke2431
egads! @ Inter International-- ok what color grout? @ Dar what is a fireplace surround..@ Moon--such a lofty idea but wish i could see it before i try it? I love all of you for helping me and i love this site
January 27, 2013 at 4:12pm     
Dar Eckert
Sorry, the brass fireplace doors would look great painted black if you can get paint that holds up to heat.
January 27, 2013 at 4:21pm     
putter2
I agree about NOT painting the stone. Wider, deeper beam mantel, deeper moulding at ceiling, and I like the idea of painting the screen black, as someone mentioned.
January 27, 2013 at 4:26pm     
luke2431
@ putter2 what do you mean deeper moulding at ceiling?
January 27, 2013 at 4:30pm   
luke2431
the grout looks like wide magic marker that didnt go to the edge what color grout would anyone suggest
January 27, 2013 at 4:31pm   
cathyjoco
There are a couple of things you can do. You can cover over part of the stone with drywall and then put your mantle on - that will help the transition. Or you can paint the grout and stone - there are special paints made to do that. I believe they are more translucent than paints for walls. This would help your grout color. It may take a couple of attempts to get the grout color toned down. I attached photos of fireplaces that I thought were really nice.
January 27, 2013 at 4:31pm   
Kevin Boudreau
Need a bigger TV and mount it on the wall.
January 27, 2013 at 4:36pm   
luke2431
@cathyjoco I love the dry wall idea over a portion I think that is what is bothering me
January 27, 2013 at 4:36pm   
luke2431
@Kevin silly man hahaahahahahaha..its all just temporary while we are workin on the interior..thank you for making me smile
January 27, 2013 at 4:37pm   
cathyjoco
I had slump stone for my fireplace - and it went all the way to the ceiling. I covered everything above 4' with drywall. I had my mantle made and it covered the transition. I left the remaining slump stone, but I antiqued it by hitting it chains, chisels and hammers. Then I painted it with faux using 4 different colors of green- taupe. I am happy with it!
January 27, 2013 at 4:48pm   
luke2431
perhaps i should have prefaced my questions with more info ..i really don't want to go "Gunsmoke" with this fireplace-- i want to create traditional theme in the room..does that help at all? but i am loving your comments
January 27, 2013 at 4:48pm   
luke2431
@cath is slumpstone the correct description for this stone? is this a pic of your fireplace?
January 27, 2013 at 4:50pm   
cathyjoco
That is a picture of my fireplace. People have referred to it as slump stone.
January 27, 2013 at 5:00pm   
cathyjoco
When I purchased my home, it was painted white and went all the way to the ceiling. It had been painted several times. I couldn't figure out what to do. As I started to look at pictures of what I liked, I realized that I preferred the drywall above the fireplace. So I framed the area and hung drywall on it. I thought it looked great. I never knew what to do with the bottom portion and then started looking into painting it. There are several websites for painting stone and brick. So I decided to do that. After I added the mantle (I don't have a photo) I was really happy with it.
January 27, 2013 at 5:08pm   
cathyjoco
here is a photo of it when I finished. Sorry that it is blurry.
January 28, 2013 at 11:43am