Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with paint colors
kldinsb95949
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our living room has a knotty pine ceiling with painted beams. I just do not like the knotty pine and would like to paint it. We are painting the walls a sage green shade. Would really appreciate ideas. Thanks...
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Although it goes against every fiber of my being to paint that ceiling. If I had to it would be white. UHG!
January 27, 2013 at 3:02pm     
mmilos
White wash stain the knotty pine if you just want to minimize the knots. Paint white if you don't like the wood at all.

I think a gray stain to give the pine a weathered look would look awesome.
January 27, 2013 at 3:05pm     
mymtk
Hi, I had something very similar in my den. I painted the walls a robin egg blue and the ceiling white. It made a big difference. If you don't like it them then paint it. It will completely change the look of the room.
January 27, 2013 at 3:13pm     
ellabella_1958
Painting the walls sage will compliment your current blond wood ceiling. Check out all the blond wood and sage walled rooms on Houzz. You may end up loving your ceiling.
January 27, 2013 at 3:22pm     
kldinsb95949
Thanks everyone! I realize that many people find painting wood a sin. I've lived with it for three years to see if it would grow on me. Nope! As my Dad use to say, "That's why they make ice cream in lots of favors!"
January 28, 2013 at 9:31am   
PRO
The Color People
Unless you have a rustic home or unpainted wood trim below it knotty pine is not a great look- especially with painted beams. Paint it by all means. You will need to fill the knot holes and cracks and prime it before painting or it will just look painted wood. The seams will create a nice texture so make sure you paint the whole ceiling in a off white or light color. White-white is harsh and will just look hard up there. An off white will soften it and most importantly hold the shadows creating a nice visual between the solidity of the beams and the texture of the ceiling. It will also change with the light as well creating a lot more interest than the raw wood. Don't be cowed by other people's opinion. If you don't like it get rid of it. It will not upset the value of your house either.
January 28, 2013 at 10:04am     
kldinsb95949
Thanks for your comment Color People. You are describing the look I want perfectly! The house is in the mountains but certainly not the least bit rustic. I'm thinking you are suggesting the beams and ceiling should be painted the same color??? :-)
January 28, 2013 at 11:09am   
onthefence
I've been following this thread since we have a similar ceiling. We KNOW it will be painted - it's just one of those list items we haven't gotten to. Color People, thanks for the paint suggestions. On a ceiling of this type, do you think a flat or a semi-sheen works better?
January 28, 2013 at 11:12am   
PRO
The Color People
Yes, Ceiling and beams the same color and most likely the room trim as well
January 28, 2013 at 11:28am     
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Chalk white ceilings will look good .
January 28, 2013 at 11:37am     
sandkshouse
Get the paint on the walls and then see how you like the ceiling.
January 28, 2013 at 11:55am     
bhelmore
I would love to see them stained white. You still may not like them, as the wood will show through.....so paint them and the beams a semi-gloss white. When you have your paint mixed, ask what base color additives are in there and tint the ceiling color with them.
January 28, 2013 at 12:04pm     
kldinsb95949
OK, thanks for all the input. Handy husband has the scaffolding and we are going for it!!!
January 29, 2013 at 3:25pm   
PRO
design happens
paint your ceilings is an off white, it will soften the room and give you a look you will like. If you want the beams to stand out paint them darker
January 29, 2013 at 3:31pm     
gingerclaire
Looking forward to seeing the results!
January 29, 2013 at 3:40pm     
peetsoo
To cover popcorn ceilings we did a pine and beam treatment and painted it out............thought you might like to see what it would look like painted. I have to admit that I struggled with painting the wood too but what swayed me is the knowledge that in time the nice pine would turn orange. I do love how it turned out. See what ya think.............
January 29, 2013 at 3:47pm     
PRO
Wallmark Homes
I came to suggest white as well. I still lets the wood be noticed but adds a touch of brightness to the home.
January 29, 2013 at 3:54pm     
kldinsb95949
Thanks for the pics peetsoo. Your ceilings look great. You are right about the color of the pine too. It's just too gold-yellow for me. We are going with a creamy white for both ceiling and beams. Will post pics when the project is complete. Probably going to take a few weeks :-)
January 29, 2013 at 5:01pm   
PRO
design happens
try Benjamin Moore CC50 - White Down
January 29, 2013 at 5:18pm     
ekc3502
We are leaving our pine ceilings unpainted. I can however understand why you'd want to paint them. The pine has grown on me which is good because the peak is nearly 25 feet high.
January 29, 2013 at 5:20pm     
peetsoo
Hope that you post some after pics....looking forward to seeing how everyithing turns out....:)
January 29, 2013 at 5:41pm     
kldinsb95949
Yikes ekc3502! Ours are about 17 ft high. Glad husband isn't afraid of heights (like me). I'm sure he wishes the ceiling would have grown on me. I have seen them in other rooms that they look good.
January 29, 2013 at 5:46pm   
kldinsb95949
Well, not ready to post a pic.....yet. Hubby just finished painting. It was a lot of work but I LOVE it! The ceiling just seems to go with the rest of the house now. Will post pics when the walls are done. Thanks again everyone!
February 16, 2013 at 6:18pm   
kldinsb95949
Done and LOVE it! It was a lot of work for Hubby but he did an amazing job. Here are a few pics...
February 19, 2013 at 4:11pm     
peetsoo
Looks great! Curious to know if your hubby also loves the results........
February 19, 2013 at 4:23pm   
kldinsb95949
Yes Peetsoo, Hubby likes it very much. I'm sure he's glad it's done though...
February 19, 2013 at 4:51pm