powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What would you do with this tiny dining room?
Tara Boss
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need help with my tiny dining room. This is a rental, so I can't do anything too drastic. Paint is a possibility, although not preferred since I'd have to paint the walls white again upon moving out.

The table is new and will stay. The chairs are temporary until I can afford nicer ones (would prefer sleek Parsons style upholstered chairs but open to suggestions!). I am not attached to the rug, so open to suggestions there as well. The calendar wall decal is already gone; I took it down after these pictures were taken.

I'd love to change the flush mount lighting fixture (not shown but is centered above table) to something more elegant, although again, would have to change back later, and put a large mirror or large aerial city print on the walls, but really just want this room to feel more spacious and comfortable. As you can see, it is adjacent to the tiny eyesore kitchen with no door.It also has an echo problem because of the high ceilings and small boxed in size.

I plan to stay in this apartment for at least 3 years, so am willing to invest a bit to make it feel more homey.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lkristine
If you are willing to paint knowing you are staying there for 3 years, I would consider it! Love your uniquie table! Here are a couple of lighting examples that would look great in here, as well as a mirror that would look fabulous with your table! And if you do replace the light....keep the old one so you can take it with you when you move!!!!!! http://www.lampsplus.com/products/possini-euro-white-flower-19-and-one-half-inch-wide-pendant-chandelier__13022.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Artemis-Antique-Silver-Wall-Mirror/6541899/product.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Crystal-Chrome-3-light-Chandelier/4268146/product.html
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 4:42PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I love the ideas that Lkristine has. I really love the bottom chandelier. Upholstered chairs will help with the echo. You could also add upholstered panels to the walls which you could take with you.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 4:47PM
putter2
A bigger rug with lots of pattern will take the place of painted walls, and upholstered chairs would be nice. Your corner looks big enough for a corner cupboard....
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 4:50PM
Susan Flowers
I love these my habit chairs to bring in some color....they go fast but have appeared on my habit intermittently if you are up for bringing in color this way the price is right
http://www.myhabit.com/homepage#page=g&dept=home&ref=qd_nav_tab_home
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 4:59PM
Lkristine
Here are some fairly reasonably priced Parson chairs too. I think the celery green would look great in here! http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Empire-Microfiber-Parson-Chairs-Set-of-2/4367084/product.html
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:07PM
nononanna
Do you need storage - a server or something- or can you do without? If not, a large piece of artwork would make the room seem bigger without taking up any space.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:08PM
gillianlf
Substantial drapes would also help with the echo issue. Definitely, switch out the light as it's fairly easy to change back as long as you don't forget. A larger rug would also help with the echo. There isn't much space for more furniture so I would consider a large piece of art on the wall next to the window. By the way, is that built in shelving on the wall opposite the window? If so, get some shelves in there and use it. You could also consider painting just the back of this area. Please tell us what it is.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:09PM
Tara Boss
Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful! I love those chandeliers and the starburst mirror, and also the corner cabinet, chairs and larger rug ideas. If anyone has additional ideas for wall decor I would love to hear them! I know mirrors are supposed to reflect something pretty so I should do the lighting fixture, and the table is the focal point so wouldn't want to compete too much, but I feel both bare walls need something. They are so empty! Also if you think paint would help, what color, and just one wall or all?
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:12PM
Tara Boss
@nononanna, no I don't need storage. @Gillian, yes it is built in shelving, very shallow about 2.5" deep. I could get shelves for it, but not sure what would look best displayed there.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:21PM
putter2
Another idea......maybe a wonderful three-panel folding screen standing in the corner to the left of the kitchen door (as I look at the picture).....you could move it in front of the door when you entertain. I think a HuGE mirror on that end wall opposite the kitchen.....I mean floor to ceiling with a thick frame. It would blow the room open! Curtains should be of a heavier fabric.....and remain open beyond the framework. And I agree, if you don't mind painting, go for it......you can always paint again!
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 5:29PM
Lkristine
Here is the wall art photo, it didn't upload on the last post for some reason!!!!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:30PM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I love the idea of a large piece of artwork. You have the wallspace and need an injection of personality. A new light pendant - something contemporary would be great. I love the rug - always love this pattern. Better drapes woudl help to absorb some of the sound transmission as well as upholstered chairs but I see you have an idea for those - they will help as will any soft furnishings you add.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:40PM
Lkristine
And here is a larger rug idea.....http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handwoven-Midnight-Chevron-Jet-Black-Wool-Rug-8-x-11/7634484/product.html Kind of expensive, there may be some that look similar for less money out there!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:40PM
Tara Boss
Thanks so much, Kristine. You are brimming with great ideas :) I LOVE the idea of 4 skinny panels of art with a cityscape. Other ideas I'm loving: screen to hide the kitchen (much classier than a curtain) and huge mirror, although that could be a little pricey! Keep em coming, I love this! It's like having a free interior designer consultation ;)
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:42PM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Here is a shot for your considration. I would consider a larger rug, or adding a border to your existing rug, or you could place a very low pile larger rug under your existing rug. Black or Gray, see both options below.

Then consider a linear chandelier running the length of the table, coming ing 6 - 8 inches from the end. You can get a removeable wall tattoo mirror to put on the ceiling before you put the light fixture on and that will bound some light back into the room.

Then consider a black or charcoal removable wall tattoo. It can come from the corner out on to both walls. I couldn't change the orientation on this program so I just showed it on one.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:48PM
PRO
Here's a darker rug underneath. Or just purchase a larger rug. :-)
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:50PM
Lkristine
Window possibility.........http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Tibetan-Bamboo-Roman-Shade-46-in.-x-98-in./3711553/product.html and curtain panels hung on a dark rod, something like this, http://www.target.com/p/target-home-banded-faux-silk-window-panel/-/A-12392119#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=gromett+curtain+panels
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:53PM
Susan Flowers
I saw these do it yourself mirrors in a group of 6.... They would reflect a lot of light and be stunning
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:54PM
PRO
I also like the idea of the 4 wall panels and the panels. The suggestion for the wall tattoo is a cost effective way to add something removeable with no holes in the wall but all the other suggestions above are great as well.
Tara Boss
Carolyn, that is so cool! It's so helpful to visualize it. Now I KNOW I have to replace the light fixture and get a bigger rug! And I will definitely look into wall tattoos. No drilling = bonus :)
Susan Flowers
Whoops mirror didn't post. Try again
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:55PM
Tara Boss
Susan, those mirrors would look amazing. Do you know where to buy them?
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:58PM
littledesigner
I think your table is beautiful, I would pick an adent color for the room and add accessories in that color. For the chairs, I think parson leather chairs or patterned upholstered chairs would be beautiful I don't think painting would be necessary with the acent of color but a nice big mirror would look gorgeous and help the room feel bigger, here is an example of 2 different chairs I think would look nice :
http://www.diningroomsoutlet.com/modus-urban-seating-faux-leather-tufted-chair-in-white-finish-2e0366bt.html?p_id=24281&gclid=CI2Dy-n4ibUCFQ-e4AodOVgAew

These white chairs or any other leather chairs would look nice in your dining room, I especially like the white because it provides a contrast to the dark table

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6713687707P?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&srccode=cii_184425893&cpncode=33-135510299-2

I think these chevron chairs would also look fabulous as would any other pattern

Hope this helped, good luck!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:59PM
Susan Flowers
It's a do it yourself knockoff of a mirror that was west elm, I think
http://dittledattle.blogspot.com/2011/01/modern-wall-mirror.html?m=1
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:02PM
PRO
There are sooo many beautiful wall tattoos, love the birch trees - I just pulled one off to show you the effect. Have fun. Please post your after.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:15PM
gillianlf
That is very narrow storage. Wine glasses if you have very careful guests or cool colored glass bottles. Or just put in dowels across the front and display your knock out shoe collection :) or better yet custom magazine rack.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:27PM