Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Red Kitchen and Empty Wall Space
Nicole Goodwin
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My husband and I just recently painted our kitchen red. We have white cabinets and black appliances. Our dilemma is this wall...it's BIG and empty. We thought about a picture but because the wall is so big, we are afraid it would be swallowed. Any ideas?
(Picture looks orange, but I promise it's red)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
jccbaker
If you have children, buy a 4x5' canvas and small cans of primary colors of paint. Give the kids small paintbrushes and tell them to go to town. You will have an original piece of artwork in the colors you like that fits your wall. Good luck.
January 27, 2013 at 7:09pm     
Nicole Goodwin
Thats a great idea! We have an 8 year old girl, she's somewhat out of that stage. Wish I had that idea a few years ago.
January 27, 2013 at 7:46pm     
Alaina D
A large black and white print (either cityscape, outdoors or...??) would look good! It would draw on the table colors and, depending on your lighting in there, lighten up the wall a bit if it has a lot of white in it or darken the room a bit if it has lots of darker greys.
January 27, 2013 at 7:51pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
A vivid colored painting will look good against that wall. Something like the one I attached.
January 27, 2013 at 7:58pm     
Danielle B
How about making this wall an everchanging display, by painting a large rectangle with blackboard paint? Your daughter can have fun with it, again and again. Check out the latest issue of BHG-Do it Yourself magazine, see what they did - an entire wall covone in chalkeered with blackboard paint and decorate with a wallpaper pattern done in chalk. I see a blank slate an opportunity...
January 27, 2013 at 8:00pm     
PRO
Committed Photography, Inc.
Hi Nicole, a nice trick to cover a lot of wall space is to group 3-5 smaller art pieces together. It costs a lot less then a huge custom piece and the end results look great.

I would consider probably 3 images 18"x12" (portrait orientation with simple black frames and white matting.
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/677
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/456
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/970
January 30, 2013 at 4:22am     
lauriels
If you dont want one large piece of artwork, you could get many different pieces all different sizes and hang them all over the wall. or blow up pics of your family 3 or 4 large ones in black and white and hang them, or pics of your city. I would love to see it when your done. good luck. love the red. what color is it if you dont mind me asking. I did red in my living room but its a little too dark. thanks
January 30, 2013 at 4:35am   
PRO
amydutton Home
I suggest a large mirror framed in black. Not only will this break up the wall but it will also reflect the white and black on the other side of the room - not to mention make the space feel larger. This is a relatively low cost / low risk (since you can always use it else where in the house if you don't like it) feature.
If you want to have a little more fun and add some "risk" to the project ... buy a flat, inexpensive mirror, measure it, and paint a frame directly onto the wall in black larger than the mirror and add a little silver pattern or swirl or sponge etc. Once it dries simply apply the mirror to the wall.
I have done this before but sorry to say I didn't take a photo. What's the worse that can happen? You can always paint over it.
Have fun!
January 30, 2013 at 5:04am   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would suggest large artwork in a series of 3 to consume most of the wall and bring in some interest.
January 30, 2013 at 5:19am     
Nicole Goodwin
Great ideas! Thanks Guys...

The color is Olympic Burnt Red from Lowes. It definitely had to grow on me. It's definitely fire engine red. We also have my office painted candy apple red and its more of a burgundy. Some of the names can be misleading.
January 31, 2013 at 7:14pm   
Rebecca Barath
Our kitchen is red, red, red - same setup with table - I have a buffet for extra storage & 4 black/white pictures (silhouettes from Ballard Design)...we're selling & I'm curious to see reactions to the red, realtor loved it :-)
January 31, 2013 at 7:23pm     
Elise
How about 3 large pictures in bold black and white prints, side by side with black framing?
January 31, 2013 at 7:27pm     
Judit
A large black and white photo? Let there be motion on that wall!
January 31, 2013 at 7:38pm     
Judit
Rebecca are you of Hungarian origin?
January 31, 2013 at 7:39pm     
Nicole Goodwin
Should we try to find b and w prints that are "kitchen-related"?
January 31, 2013 at 7:46pm   
PRO
Kerstin Dieterich Designs
Be careful not to add to many additional colors.
January 31, 2013 at 7:47pm     
Tamara B
I like what you've done. I would add a large mirror (perhaps a used one if budget is tight) with a black frame (you can paint the frame). However, if budget is an issue I like Juniper's idea of painting a Black frame on the wall....however, I would add another thinner line inside the Black painted frame in either silver or gold paint. The mirror will reflect light into the area and with an inside silver/gold line will add a little bling. Could'nt hurt.

At the right side a small blackboard with a little black table underneath it can be used for little one's artwork OR you can write your menu on it for a dinner party. Oh such fun to decorate!!
January 31, 2013 at 7:51pm     
Nicole Goodwin
Yeah, I kinda want to stick with the black, white and red theme.
January 31, 2013 at 7:51pm   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
I have a vision of a large "abstract": cream paper/background with large black or "charcoal" brush strokes. Simple black frame. The cream will "soften" the red and the black boldness will complement and not compete with the wall. The simple black frame will allow it to stand alone on the wall. This would have to be at least 3/4 the size of the table.

Just a thought.
January 31, 2013 at 7:58pm     
PRO
ZAN Co.
Small but different size pic frames of family or events. Maybe black in white. And stager them around.. Not a straight line. Spread them out, mix it up , and have fun with them..
January 31, 2013 at 7:59pm   
Nicole Goodwin
Wow! ALL great ideas! There's actually another blank wall on the right in this picture, it's just not as big. We have black diner style curtains to put up. Thanks a million guys!!
January 31, 2013 at 8:02pm   
Judit
Nicole, why kitchen theme? Fruits or cutlery? So dull. You have a cool dining area there with exciting colors and modern seats and that wall belongs to that area rather then to the kitchen. I would go on with this idea. Add the black and white wall art and a new lamp perhaps? I'd love this lamp over your dining table.
January 31, 2013 at 10:10pm   
PRO
ds design studio
What came to mind first was a large framed mirror too. On the other wall, you could place colorful art.
February 2, 2013 at 12:31pm   
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
When I look at your photo I think photography.
February 2, 2013 at 12:35pm     
maggiemae0552
Get pictures you've taken enlarged and printed on canvas and have them done in black and white. Lots of places online will do this. Make sure the size of your photographs is substantial - nothing worse than tiny art on a large wall. you could also look for something architectural....an old wrought iron gate, an old arched window, etc. have fun, you picked out a really pretty shade of red so make that wall a wow!
February 2, 2013 at 1:00pm   
PRO
MirrorWindows.com
Mirror windows would give the appearance of added architecture and create a very unique look.
February 2, 2013 at 1:59pm   
PRO
MirrorWindows.com
White mirror windows would match the trim. Mahogany mirror windows would add warmth and accentuate the dining set.
February 2, 2013 at 2:05pm   
groveraxle
BIG painting.
February 2, 2013 at 2:10pm   
eoakes
maybe a big mirror?
February 2, 2013 at 2:21pm   
PRO
February 2, 2013 at 2:38pm   
Rebecca Barath
Judit - hubby is :-)
February 2, 2013 at 9:32pm     
PRO
ArtHaus Gallery
One large painting or a series would be ideal.
February 3, 2013 at 4:43pm