Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Extreme Makeover Basement DIY Edition-- Dirt Cheap but Custom
hr01
January 27, 2013 in Before & After
Well here are the before and during - the done has to happen by 3-10-13 or i'm dead cause i'm getting married the week after,gulp and I have a lot to do still. I post my progress every few days under "Design Dilemmas" Discussions, so follow my progress please and pray i get done by my "DEAD" line gulp or click my user name - hr01 and see my posts- under "activity" called "BASEMENT REMODEL" Thanks HR01
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
hr01
The first pic is the NW back corner of my 1000sq. basement, this area is now turning into a family room,pic#2 is the SW back of basement with water-heater and well pump, this is currently becoming a master bedroom , I'm taking the pic from the now walk in closet,pic#3 is the front NE corner and is becoming a laundry room in corner and an open concept office area next to that to the right.pic#4 is showing the SE front of basement it is the walk in closet and utility area with sump pump, dehumidifier, electrical box. Well I've came a long ways from here but along way to go still, so check my progress and comment @ hr01 and like, ask me and follow me .look under my "activity" find "BASEMENT REMODEL" when your @ my page on Houzz. thanks Eric
January 27, 2013 at 7:59pm     
hr01
WOW! found this old door hardware from the1800's,growing moss buried in dirt, now I'm restoring it to use on my eight 1895 five panel doors
January 29, 2013 at 9:47am     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Oh this is so exciting! Its like a time-delayed film! Eric - congrats on upcoming marriage - and your Extreme Makeover sounds like an adventure! Yes, have the houzzers helping when you need tips - best to a smooth journey toward the finish line!
January 29, 2013 at 11:22am     
hr01
Lol yes and Thanks
January 29, 2013 at 1:34pm   
PRO
Woodcliffe Design
Hang in there!! Basements are the best design challenge. Check out wood column wraps for your lallys at www.aicmillworks.com.
January 29, 2013 at 1:48pm   
hr01
yes thanks for looking,after checking out your photos i must say you do some beautiful work.:)
January 29, 2013 at 4:32pm     
hr01
progress, today I finished studding up rear wall in family room, yesterday after struggling for hours I finally got 5 of the doors to line up and open and shut properly, phew! the first picture is standing in front of the bedroom double doors, to the left is a 30"door that leads to the toilet room,as you look in the bedroom you can see 3 more doors that swing into the sink area. the second pic. is in the bedroom looking toward family room and three doors to sink area. phew again wow that was a job so glad i didn't need to work on those anymore. oops i'll post pics. next post
January 29, 2013 at 9:04pm   
hr01
first three are same area last one from bedroom
January 29, 2013 at 9:10pm   
hr01
yesterdays progress- now the wall to the left is studded to hold AC unit , in wall speakers. sub-woofers,120" pull down screen in family room, in wall touch screen and powered speakers going in this wall in bedroom. you see to the right in pic is the 5x7 walk in shower studded up
January 29, 2013 at 9:40pm   
hr01
Did some shopping 11 sheets of Hardieboard for shower, redguard waterproofing membrene,some paint deals, and real marble squares to build mantle and cover fireplace wall
January 30, 2013 at 8:35pm     
hr01
I did some BARN HUNTING today, Tell me if anything you see peaks your creativity
January 31, 2013 at 5:35pm   
hr01
Reversing Staircase and opening the staircase to upper living room.someones curious i'ts a little messy taring drywall out
February 1, 2013 at 4:34am   
eleri
wow huge work. Do you have any natural light at all? Keep us posted :)
February 1, 2013 at 4:58am   
hr01
Yes two 8x32" are all the only true nature light, they are centered directly behind full glass 6' wide patio doors that i 'm planning to frost then try to simulate natural light in the most realistic way possible behind them- also on a rotary dimmer- also on a timer, would like them to come on in morning gradually and go down at night gradually but need advice on how to do this in the most inexpensive way, i haven't researched that enough yet, also this fall plan to excavate along bedroom wall for a real patio door that leads up to a full glass solar room that is already there now, but I need to take it down partway to be able to dig for staircase, :( I will post the plans and pics. when the time comes for that project. well i thought i could find some pics of solar room but found some others instead, who doesn't like a good dog on a boat pic. lol sorry
February 1, 2013 at 5:33pm     
S. Thomas Kutch
Question hr01..........you mentioned a master bedroom is in this project. What accommodations are you making for the code requirements for natural light, natural ventilation and secondary egress.....there are specific code requirements for these elements and size for emergency responders (i.e. firefighters who might have to enter through the window to rescue an occupant).....?
February 1, 2013 at 9:22pm   
yummymum
good luck! this is inspiring! We are working on our basement too. But nothing so intense;)
February 1, 2013 at 9:39pm     
hr01
I commented a couple posts back of how I'm building a walk out -out of bedroom,I've made a lot of progress in the last two days, reversing the staircase,I was quite sure that the wall you see wasn't a supporting wall, and had a plan to have columns up if it was , and still will have two boxed in supports up stairs,well I'm customizing the staircase now to my liking, not sure if it will look like the norm. when i'm threw but I not looking to be normal i guess anyway.
February 4, 2013 at 7:50am   
hr01
Closet wall removed, staircase reversed- with help from my friend (the little giant)he held it up for me while I nailed it up- I have friends but I improvise when I can- I can't waste a favor yet.you see future toilet room- with a "built in placed,
February 4, 2013 at 8:01am     
hr01
See my "BASEMENT REMODEL" @ hr01 on Houzz for a lot more posts and pics. under "activity" at my page
February 4, 2013 at 8:13am   
hr01
All work and no play just do it , progress so far, sorry these are out of order
February 5, 2013 at 4:04am   
hr01
New entrance to downstairs,I will take out door and whole wall soon,view today out front door-upstate NY
February 5, 2013 at 8:02am   
hr01
Had to get supplies,so picked up some deals also while @ H. DE*** Anyone price a three way shower diverter valve? big $, well I'm making one with three bronze shutoffs threw shower wall and I still need to buy a tub/shower temperature control valve, the man made 53" sink top was $512 i paid a mear $13, the grout color was like $6 i paid .25 cents. 78"w blinds $18
February 6, 2013 at 5:51am     
hr01
Found some more barn finds,my dog playing in the rolls of Pex,
February 6, 2013 at 11:18am   
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Fun to watch your adventure and your great deals! Your dog is a great part of this story as well! (Hard work pays off!)
February 6, 2013 at 3:06pm   
hr01
LOL Yea she seems to always want to be where the action is, but she is afraid to come down there.Pic #3- Roxy on a bike ride in a make shift dog-carrier,Pic#2-Is a small project I made for nothing last year-Patio block=free,red brick=free,old lava rock from a grill, a couple $1 store solar lights, and two $1 store tiki torch cans with citronella juice burning, and an old lighted fountain in the middle. Well I guess it wasn't free it cost $4
February 6, 2013 at 3:47pm     
hr01
Anyone old enough to Remember any of these items?
February 6, 2013 at 6:21pm     
PRO
Bargain Backer
Looking good!
Check out our electronics to go with the sound system. http://www.bargainbacker.com/Electronics_c_3148.html
February 6, 2013 at 6:24pm   
hr01
Well I got a few boo boos today but i duct taped self up and kept going, rear wall where i'm installing ac unit, cut copper water supply lines and installed shut offs and switched to Pex
February 7, 2013 at 8:48pm   
hr01
Been busy here-Can you spot the little dog with a snow go-tee in pic#4?
February 9, 2013 at 1:26pm   
ymlmiranda
hr, you are doing such a great job, keep me posted
February 9, 2013 at 3:52pm   
PRO
Woodcliffe Design
Just checking in - great progress and I love the doors! Is Roxy a Min Pin or a Dobie puppy?
February 10, 2013 at 1:18pm   
hr01
Thanks Roxy is A Min Pin,Door #6 a 30" 1895- 5 panel door to the potty room installed and swinging nicely,pic#3 is me lining up door #7 that also leads into potty room from the sink side-using a laser to line the whole wall up,Roxy being curious but still won't come down. Gulp! one month sigh. in the words of whats his name " GIT ERR DONE"
February 10, 2013 at 8:56pm   
hr01
Door #6 I had to use a jam from another door so i had to chisel out on one of the hinge mounts because when these doors were put in originally they were made all different heights and the builders mounted the hinges and hardware at different heights which is a big prob. now that i'm trying to line them all up together in one area :( ,so now that the last door is set i can finish this small wall dividing sink area from toilet
February 12, 2013 at 6:57am   
hr01
MY Tile for sink area and three different tiles for shower area, Do you think the colors go together? the shower wall tile I plan to do is like the dark mocha flax leather style color tile which seems popular now but will it be a trend that goes out and then I want to change cause its to dark and the color was so" 2012"? these are 16".99 a sq. tile. very hard to find a color like this under$1 i've searched high and low for tile close outs for years literally, and i've found steals but never like this color, I actually own a few different color styles but I plan to do this once and would rather have it what i like then just go dirt cheap because you just don't change this quickly or inexpensively when you get tired of the color, so I'd rather spend a little more per tile(like a$1)which prob. sound dirt cheap to most of you, when I have beautiful stuff here i paid .47 cents for and it was a lot more $ originally. my point is sometimes you have to brake down and spend on something that's so "permanent" and costly to change.
February 13, 2013 at 6:48am     
hr01
Electrical boxes going in and fans installed, installing a small built in.
February 15, 2013 at 6:10am   
hr01
3-10-13 Gulp get err dun. :( A lot to do still
February 20, 2013 at 6:22am   
hr01
Well a lot of mess but underneath it all it's slowly getting dun, I hope this is the storm and the calm is coming soon.
February 24, 2013 at 3:23am   
hr01
My poor pick up loaded down then my poor back, this is 124lbs. per sheet double the liteweight sheetrock :(
March 1, 2013 at 6:35am   
Jayme H.
Take care or u will need hernia surgery!
March 1, 2013 at 6:42am   
hr01
Well yea I couldnt get use to wearing a tool belt which would have saved me a lot of literal steps, I do where a back brace though most of the time -walking on concrete 12 hours a day while looking up straining neck and hammering and stuff, maybe this is more than the" average "person should" try at least alone, although i had help carrying the double sheets of sheetrock down 248lbs. each X24 trips- total 48 sheets two puck up trucks full, 3 ton or 6000lbs owe but another step done one i dreaded but its done thank you Lord
March 1, 2013 at 7:49am     
Jayme H.
Take the time to ask for and get help! Your back is so valuable...I have seen so many young men need back surgery! And then a second sometimes and even worse...not to be a downer..just hate to see people get hurt.
March 1, 2013 at 7:51am     
hr01
Well 3-01-13 my deadline is coming and I'm getting a little tired and sore and not making it with out drywall help, my hun cut insulation till 12Am,
March 2, 2013 at 8:54am   
hr01
1:47AM and still smilin tonight I made more progress
March 2, 2013 at 10:48pm     
sweetsy
U are doing such an amazing thing here. I'm more than impressed and love the old elements you are bringing to the basement. Whose barn holds all that fabulous old stuff? I mean, just wondering if it holds sentimental value as well. The doors and hardware is just fantastic! You've been working like a dog. I know we all can't wait to see the finished product..but never more than you! Keep up the hard work but try to be careful. I'd hate to see something happen..you have an aisle to walk down soon! We are all rooting for you:) Godspeed!
March 2, 2013 at 11:15pm   
hr01
LOL thanks and yes
March 3, 2013 at 9:17pm     
Jayme H.
Not gonna have any energy to get married
March 3, 2013 at 9:31pm     
rawketgrl
Best of luck hr01, have tons of fun at your wedding with all your family and friends. Your house will be there, really coming along now. Congratulations!
March 3, 2013 at 9:43pm   
hr01
3 ;21am zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
March 4, 2013 at 12:22am     
hr01
Thanks for all the encouraging words of support,well I worked last night till the early hours and got up @ 7 to call my drywall guys and tell them i needed a few extra hours, they said "were almost there" so" voile" or what ever you say when things happen, I feel kinda tired tonight, a little not overjoyed because I started this "blog" to show what you can do yourself not "that if you have money why bother when you can pay someone to do it for you" so I'm thinkin you can kinda finally see the actual layout more clearly, the drywallers got about half done( possibly more they would say I paid them for 10 hours of labor they left before 5pm. When i tell you what I paid two professional drywall guys who work for the big builders and gave me their hourly rate that the big builders pay them you may understand just a couple reasons i needed to let them do the labor , the designing is done, I said on paper i was going to drywall and mud and sand this alone putting in 12 hour days in 30 days,realistic i think but i ran out of time, so I broke down and paid for this part,The drywallers said if They estimated this job it would be a steal @ $3000, (way under a big builders price I'd think,) and by tomorrow @ 5pm I will have only paid them a measly $1 a square to hang this heavy-double the lightweight sheetrock weight sheets,It really is another great deal i got on this project -three guys -10 hours $520- half the heavvvy sheetrock hung,. so tomorrow 2 guys- less $ and hopefully all hung for another $400+,I can hardly justify spending my time right now thinking drywall, so thats it -here's some pics. I hope you can" like" this post because even though i got a great deal this wasn't at all my plan.
March 4, 2013 at 8:09pm     
hr01
Last posts pic. Shows the ugly poles that give a basement remodel away, don't fear i have a plan, it also shows the ugly w/d laundry room - my hun has one of those nice stackables that's on the way here soon, any volunteers to help me move them out and new in? :( notice my new beautiful white sheetrock dust floor we installed -that was a free bonus.it's powdery soft, yes i wore a dust mask but i cant force them too- that cant be good to breathe day in day out :(
March 4, 2013 at 8:23pm   
hr01
ZZZZZZZZ- lights out
March 4, 2013 at 8:30pm     
Jayme H.
You are so smart to wear a mask..mechanical irritants are just as bad as smoking.
March 5, 2013 at 7:23am     
hr01
Yes I enjoy life and want to as long as i can :)
March 5, 2013 at 9:56am     
Nancy Hehmann
Jayme you are doing a great job giving him medical advice. Too many people don't realize what they are doing to their lungs until it is too late. I think masks should be used with any dusty material or anything that can get airborne including cleaning materials.

Great makeover and wonderful pics showing progression!
March 5, 2013 at 10:55am     
Aja Mazin
WOW!
March 5, 2013 at 11:51am   
curacaoblue
Great job! This brings back memories for me. I watched my dad finish 2 basements growing up. When i Was little I'd sit down there with him hammering together scrap wood or sanding things, playing shop pretending to help. When I got older I actually did help, mostly holding stuff though lol
March 5, 2013 at 12:40pm     
sweetsy
AMAZE balls! So you paid some guys..who cares. It's gettin done!
March 5, 2013 at 12:41pm   
Aja Mazin
but, but, but, where are the "experts" you need to tell you which way is up?
March 5, 2013 at 2:46pm   
PRO
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
hr01, that's good advice about the mask, but just a word of caution though, and I'm sure Jayme with her medical training will agree, looking back at your duct tape bandage you shouldn't use duct tape. There are alot of bad chemicals in the tape and adhesive. Always stick to clean bandages.
March 5, 2013 at 3:21pm   
Jayme H.
There really is a place for health safety precautions and advise in re: construction related projects...keeps people healthie, safer. There are actual healthcare positions related to this type of thing.
March 5, 2013 at 4:18pm     
sweetnoor
Jayme Hobbs,

I do not think anyone disagrees.

Do you?
March 5, 2013 at 4:28pm     
Jayme H.
@sweetnoor...I was making a general statement
March 5, 2013 at 4:33pm   
Jayme H.
I have a book on Queen Noor of Jordan, a lovely woman.
March 5, 2013 at 4:33pm   
sweetnoor
Jayme Hobbs

"Koh-i-noor" means "mountain of light".

This was the name given to a famous diamond that became part of the British crown jewels.

The ethymology has influenced the name in many different languages; e.g. Urdu, Punjabi, Hindi, Arabic etc.

Noor or Nur has various meanings in many different languages,
However one can simply define Noor as the light of life, or the path of life.
March 5, 2013 at 4:46pm     
sweetnoor
At the risk of opening a can of worms, I submit a quote from the 3M website

"3.2 POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS

Eye Contact:
Eye contact is not expected to occur during normal use of the product.
Skin Contact:
Contact with the skin during product use is not expected to result in significant irritation.
Inhalation:
If thermal decomposition occurs:
Vapors from heated material may cause irritation of the respiratory system. Signs/symptoms may include cough, sneezing,
nasal discharge, headache, hoarseness, and nose and throat pain.
Ingestion:
No health effects are expected"
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00x4Y_BO8mZOv70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--

My husband pointed out to me that duct tape is approved for the removal of warts.

Duct Tape Effective for Common Warts in Children

Applying strips of duct tape over warts in children was found to be more effective than conventional liquid nitrogen therapy (cryotherapy), according to a study in Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (2002;156:971–4). While dermatologists have recommended duct tape therapy for years, this is the first controlled study to demonstrate its efficacy.

In the new study, 51 young people between the ages of 3 and 22 years were assigned to receive cryotherapy or duct tape therapy for two months. Those using the duct tape were instructed to leave it on for six days and then reapply a new piece of tape. The warts were measured every two to three weeks to evaluate the effectiveness of the treatments. Treatments were discontinued if the warts completely resolved.

Duct tape occlusion therapy was found to be significantly more effective than cryotherapy. Almost 85% of the children using duct tape had complete resolution of their warts,
http://www.bastyrcenter.org/content/view/412/
March 5, 2013 at 4:56pm     
PRO
Warts are not the same as an open wound whereas the chemicals within come in direct contact with the wound. Contact with "skin" during product use refers to ripping off a strip and applying it to whatever. Contact with an "open wound" with prolonged exposure is not a recommended use.

@hr01, congratulations on your worrk so far, DIY can be quite rewarding if you are up to the task. I'm glad you are enjoying your progress.

@Sweetnoor the 3M MSDS page article 8.2.2 Skin protection - Avoid prolonged or repeated skin contact.
March 5, 2013 at 5:06pm   
sweetsy
Thank goodness. Is there any way to delete all that negativity? So child like.
Certainly not something hr01 wants to break from his building and read through. Ugh.
March 5, 2013 at 5:52pm     
hr01
well were getting a bit off topic LOL but that's ok Its weird i've been so busy I can't remember what actually happened to my hand that day, but thanks for the concern i am health conscience so I thought, but never thought using electrical tape and a paper towel would be hazardous ( thats my normal field dressing)
March 5, 2013 at 7:57pm     
Jayme H.
If u had a paper towel in there should have been fine! Really when u get cut, if it bleeds let it flush itself out a bit, rinse it and cover and wrap it..if it's a bit deep u may need to steri strip it, then apply some bacitracin ointment...good to go..I put a piece of my husband's finger tip back on and taped the living daylights out of it and it reattached itself, healed. Get a little kit with some saline, bacitracin, telfa and tape...the saline is great for eye irrigation if u get something in them. (Make sure it's .9% saline).
March 5, 2013 at 8:20pm     
hr01
owe- reattached finger that sounds like it hurt
March 5, 2013 at 8:38pm   
Jayme H.
Just part of a finger tip!! LOL!!! It was so gross, he had it laying on the picnic table, took pictures..I grabbed it and shoved in back on!
March 5, 2013 at 9:05pm   
hr01
nasty
March 6, 2013 at 8:08am     
Jayme H.
Amazingly, it grew back and looks pretty normal..he would have had a weird looking finger without it.
March 6, 2013 at 8:12am   
Jayme H.
The pattern of his finger print is slightly off though...
March 6, 2013 at 8:12am   
PRO
nFORMAL design
Off topic still...I cut myself all the time, but yeah, I put paper-towel/shop towel on it and then duct tape around. Works great. I also have a bottle of hand sanitizer in the truck/shop...rub that all over it (alcohol) and then bandage it up.

I'm no nurse, Jayme, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

BTW, most fiber masks used for construction (the white or green ones) are CRAP in the presence of strong chemicals. It's better to buy a cheap respirator with chemical filters on it. (I've obtained chemical flu from using X-14 in an inclosed space...(similar to Tilex)).
March 6, 2013 at 8:22am     
Jayme H.
@nFORMAL...If u stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...you ARE the man! And if there is a barrier inbetween the skin and the tape..no problems..Funny..many actual medical tapes cause many people to react..rash, sores, tape burns. And it IS on topic...it is related to construction safety!
March 6, 2013 at 9:07am     
PRO
Back to my original posting, I didn't see any paper towel, so was just commenting on the duct tape bandage. I've many times used what is handy at the moment on jobsite which typically isn't the most sterile environment, rub some sawdust on it and keep working. Guess it was more of a do as I say not as I do, type of comment. Wish I had thought of the Holiday Inn Express tag in that post, would have fit perfectly!
March 6, 2013 at 9:16am     
Jayme H.
@Twisted Minds...I give great advise too but don't always follow it either...lol!!
March 6, 2013 at 9:56am     
PRO
nFORMAL design
Yeah...my Dad was the KING of "DAISNAID" (or Do As I Say...Not As I Do). You would have thought that I learned my lesson with the X-14 incident...not so much. I still mess with some chemicals without respirator/mask. It is terrible, but when you are in the middle of something... Well, you know. As the movie title says, "Something's Gotta Give", and that is usually the safety apparatus. Oops.

However, I will say that I think some of that is due to extreme over-exposure. If you are spray painting a chair for 10 minutes and have decent ventilation...I don't think the fumes will harm you too much.
March 6, 2013 at 9:57am     
Jayme H.
@nFormal...yes but it so easy to slip into the habit and those chemicals can be neurotoxins...my hubby used to paint black laquer all day long and come in the house and I would literally start wheezing and coughing, rashes breaking out...Ultimately, it is one's own choice and free will! :)
March 6, 2013 at 10:03am   
Jayme H.
I spelled it incorrectly..tough word...lacquer!
March 6, 2013 at 10:04am   
Jayme H.
lacquer I say...lol
March 6, 2013 at 10:04am     
hr01
aye hem what in the worlds goin on here. i leave for a few hours and you guys post more than i've seen in 8 weeks lol well if anyone cares drywall is hung ! phew thank God and I also thank Robert- he came threw for me, I take no credit but supplying the green backs :( what can I do 10 days to Our Big Day gulp well I'm having Robert put the Hardyboard in shower- at least start it for me to finish out the day hold for pics. i gotta get back @ it. Ps thanks for adding to my post hits maybe we can lead in post hits and go mainstream Lol
March 6, 2013 at 11:42am     
Aja Mazin
hr01,

You are such an inspiration to me with your upbeat, confident attitude and amazing skills and creativity.

I think you have a keen eye and respect the fact you are doing it economically and see the potential and beauty in recycled items.

I frequent the bargain aisle for mark down or discontinued items - my mom trained me well!

Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Aja
March 6, 2013 at 12:03pm     
sweetnoor
Jayme Hobbs

With all due respect, it is not on topic., as the topic is hr01 and Extreme Makeover Basement DIY Edition-- Dirt Cheap but Custom.

Perhaps, you could begin a separate discussion related to construction safety!
March 6, 2013 at 12:17pm     
Jayme H.
@sweetnoor..thanks for the input
March 6, 2013 at 1:01pm     
hr01
It's all good, i mean i don't really mind
March 7, 2013 at 4:13am     
Jayme H.
You can do it..!
March 7, 2013 at 5:58am   
hr01
Phew 11:00pm quitting time sorry so long without pics. last night i had to go to bed @ like 9;30 i was so whipped i just had to quit ,up @ 6 hoped for a successful day but it was kind of a fail, i hoped to get 1st coat of mud on all walls by 12pm ok to tired i cant type night
March 7, 2013 at 8:27pm     
hr01
well I'm mudding the walls in family room area today,but i'm no pro @ least yet but Robert showed me some tricks of the trade, :)
March 8, 2013 at 6:50am     
dreamdesignerintraining
Wow wow wow! This is amazing... can't wait for next update! Keep up the great work hr01!!! You have come so far.
March 8, 2013 at 6:53am     
hr01
I like how large and open the sink area is to the bedroom :) it"s no "houzz "house but it's my creation, pic1 -doors closed to sink area, pic2 is fully open.pic3 parshally open,pic4-is from inside sink area but doors to potty area swung open into sink area though, i also like that i can choose the look i want according to my mood lol and when it's just "us " then no need to have it all closed in and cramped feeling
March 8, 2013 at 6:56am   
hr01
If your made of $ and this still looks like a hole in the ground then your looking at the wrong" blog" I'm doing this for my new family and people not made of $, hopefully people who look @ my first pic here i posted can get inspired by what some hard work and little $ can do. can I get any" amens" or likes here. I really will add all the costs up but be patient as i dont have the time now, just keep asking and i will figure it all out
March 8, 2013 at 7:17am     
rawketgrl
mmmm I love the smell of fresh mud in the morning. How rewarding to see all your hard work and ideas come together and become reality! Beautiful job. I can't wait at some point in the future to see the "idea" you have for the posts. Good luck and keep on keeping on, looking really great. :)
March 8, 2013 at 7:26am     
PRO
nFORMAL design
@hr01...I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I think it is wonderful that you are creating a nice space for your new family. More power to you!

BUT...don't be calling people out on here about being on the wrong "blog". First, this isn't your blog...it is a home design, decorating, inspiration and improvement "community". Like most community forums (live or online), you are going to get resistance and disagreement.

Next, as for someone thinking your redo is still a "hole in the ground", that is a matter of perspective. As a professional designer (and builder), I can honestly say that with whatever money you spent, I could probably have spent less money and made a totally different space that was as nice or nicer. However, my tastes (as well as a lot of others) are probably different from yours. I'm not a traditionalist unless it comes to historic preservation.

I've personally seen spaces on here that had tons of cash jammed into them that were AWFUL in my opinion, but a lot of others thought they were amazing. Alternatively, I've seen some really thoughtful spaces made with a shoestring budget. If anyone wants to really see something where they might think it is a "trash dump" or "hole in the ground", etc., check out the two books "Rural Studio" and "Proceed and Be Bold: Beyond Rural Studio." The things that the program has been able to do with found materials and objects is nothing short of miraculous.

That being said, I'm sure a lot of people on Houzz would think the spaces in those two books would be like living in a shantytown. I personally think they are wonderful. It is all opinion.

So, before calling out people on being on the "wrong blog", just remember that you posted here for the world to see and you'll get comments...both positive and negative. That's okay. Sometimes, the negative ones make us think about how to solve the problem in an inventive and imaginative way. Just use it as positive energy to fuel your fire!

Good luck.
March 8, 2013 at 8:11am     
hr01
nformal thanks for posting i havent got any negitive feedback actually and hope i would never try to delete some if there was and reading what i wrote back i can see you could take it as not nice but i was kinda thinking as I look at all the works of art on houzz when i look @ all the pics on here i get inspired and a little jealous of people with million dollar houses that would probably laugh at what i've done and that i think its something to be proud of. I checked your page out and your designs are amazing but like many designers on here would probably be out of my price range.
March 8, 2013 at 9:42am     
hr01
I hope that makes sense if it sounded mean,maybe i'm getting overworked, sorry what you said makes absolute sense and i hope i can take the negativity ok, i guess when i looked at my pics. i posted i think what people may think of a pole in the center of their bedroom, most men would love that, but it's all about perspective right lol
March 8, 2013 at 9:52am     
PRO
nFORMAL design
Exactly. Do yourself a favor and go to the library and check out (or just buy) "Rural Studio" by Samuel Mockbee. It will take your low budget project and show you that there is great design with even lower budgets. They did a glass chapel for a poor community in Alabama out of shingled car door glass. They found a bunch of Caprice Classic door windows at a junk yard and made sort of a glass armadillo out of it. The entire chapel is mostly construction grade materials and and some student made structural members/connections.
March 8, 2013 at 10:25am     
PRO
nFORMAL design
Also...thanks so much for the kind words on our designs. Some are expensive, but one of our goals is to take common materials that are inexpensive and ordinary and then create something amazing out of them. We actually have a lot of the same principles in our designs that are taken from those images (and the books) shown above. We just showcase the more refined designs on here.
March 8, 2013 at 10:29am     
PRO
nFORMAL design
@hr01...also, I posted in another discussion. Price range and budget are relative. A lot of architects/designers, like us, work on a percentage. It is a great design puzzle for us to figure out something creative on a shoestring budget. However, the client has to be open minded and expect to get something extraordinary and outside the box...definitely not cookie-cutter.

Regarding a designers fee...if he/she makes 10% of the construction cost...the lower the construction cost the lower the fee. At some point...they will just do an hourly rate.
March 8, 2013 at 10:32am   
hr01
well said and it is amazing what people can imagine and the design and make into practical creations inexpensively, and i do understand that time in designing these works of art does cost.Well break time over thanks for posting i call this a "blog" cause not sure what it should be called :) but I do appreciate peoples kindness the last four days have been a little hard as i like doing this project i set an unrealistic expectation of my ability and because of time restaints i had to "brake down and hire a laborer who did a great job but didn't get all i had hoped done either leaving me still behind with a lot less cash :(
March 8, 2013 at 11:39am     
janax
your doing a great job not long to go now. we don't have basements in Australia. I love seeing the snow outside your door.
March 8, 2013 at 1:01pm     
Aja Mazin
AMEN!
March 8, 2013 at 3:29pm     
Aja Mazin
And one need not be "poor" to be cost conscious.
It is only common sense in today's economy.

Recycling is creative and benefits all of us and the environment
March 8, 2013 at 3:41pm     
hr01
well said Aja
March 8, 2013 at 4:48pm     
hr01
well that's all she wrote for tonight i'm only human
March 8, 2013 at 8:44pm   
hr01
well cleaned out all the mess and still spackling the walls ,my bro in law wants to help put receptacles and mini lights in today so taking a break from mudding i guess
March 10, 2013 at 7:10am     
hr01
got some of the electric on today, that does make me smile, it's just nice to see all that work putting in the electrical actually working for me now
March 10, 2013 at 6:08pm     
Aja Mazin
FANTASTIC!!!
March 10, 2013 at 6:49pm   
Aja Mazin
Isn't it "quittin time"?

3.10.13?
March 10, 2013 at 6:54pm     
hr01
well after today I must slow down to a crawl on this and shift my focus on preparing the rest of my house for big changess
March 11, 2013 at 5:11am     
Aja Mazin
Good Morning!!
March 11, 2013 at 5:12am   
hr01
three days ago Janax posted "I love seeing the snow outside your home" well today it looks like it's snowing inside as i sand the plaster, I'm not a fan of it but i gotta do it.
March 11, 2013 at 8:17am     
hr01
well took a break, got another pail of putty and 5 gal of primer, a ceiling fan i liked on clearance for $41, full spectrum bulbs for nature light behind patio doors my best mans coming he says to put another coat of mud in bedroom area with me
March 11, 2013 at 3:31pm     
Jayme H.
There is such a trick to taping and mudding...see this lots!!! I was told that the trick is "feathering it out"..of course this man had been doing it for 30 years, needed to do almost no sanding/and made it look easy!
March 11, 2013 at 4:27pm   
hr01
there is a skill to it and art even i guess you can say,it's a messy and dusty job and you need strong shoulders to reach overhead and sand for an hour
March 11, 2013 at 5:16pm     
hr01
Pics. of progress thus far -all good but i don't expect much to change in the next week - big busy weekend coming gotta get ready for that. to be continued...........................................
March 12, 2013 at 6:31am     
hr01
third coat sanded in bedroom and fourth touch up coat put on then primer sweet i cant wait but first gotta get married people!
March 14, 2013 at 10:54am     
PRO
nFORMAL design
Did the drywall mud bucket explode in your basement? Haha. Just kidding. Great progress! Keep working. I love the picture of the dust from sanding. There is a trick for minimizing that. It takes a little practice but a drywall pro for over 20 years talked about it. It is on "Fine Homebuilding" -- "There's a Better Way" videos. (We always joke about it..."But there's a better way!") Watch the guy who uses a paint roller to put on drywall mud.
March 14, 2013 at 3:30pm        Thanked by hr01
Jayme H.
@nFormal..is the trick "feathering"?...I had a guy do our drywall..almost NO dust.
March 14, 2013 at 3:32pm   
PRO
nFORMAL design
The trick isn't so much feathering as usual. He doesn't go through 4 different taping knife levels or anything. He puts a skim coat of mud on, puts the tape in it, and then puts on the top mud with a paint roller. It is actually a lot thinner than usual...almost like Cream of Wheat consistency. He goes over the tape with a roller and then uses a large taping knife to smooth it out.--very little sanding.
March 14, 2013 at 3:36pm        Thanked by hr01
PRO
nFORMAL design
Actually...it is a finish coat. Do the taping as usual, and then finish it like so....
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/16371/roll-compound-on-drywall-seams-for-faster-easier-taping
March 14, 2013 at 3:40pm        Thanked by hr01
Jayme H.
@nFormal..the man who did ours did it the old fashioned way...just was that skilled..I will have to take note of the method u mentioned..mudding and taping is not an easy job.
March 14, 2013 at 3:40pm   
Aja Mazin
hr01,

WOW! Amazing!!

Hope you can relax and be rested so you can truly enjoy the wedding and all the associated events!
March 14, 2013 at 4:53pm        Thanked by hr01
handymam
hr, honeymoon must be over by now...What is up with the basement remodel? Don't leave us hanging!!
May 19, 2013 at 4:19pm     
hr01
hello sorry so long in not posting, i will get some pics up on here soon,i loaded all my honeymoon pics. on here and computer has been messed up cause out of harddrive space and or a virus i guess :(
May 23, 2013 at 7:43pm     
handymam
we are still waiting, lol.
August 8, 2013 at 7:23am        Thanked by hr01
luducklu
Congratulations on Your marriage! I've read Your posts from the beginning... So very interesting, I hope to see more of You, Your wife, Your loyal companion and more of Your project! Thank You so much for sharing Your journey with Us All! It has inspired and challenged many!
August 11, 2013 at 10:03am      Thanked by hr01
hr01
sorry after I put all my wedding pics and videos on laptop it had utter failure ok I try to get back at posting again
October 22, 2013 at 6:18pm     
Samantha L
Welcome back! Looking forward to the updated photos!
October 22, 2013 at 7:48pm   
jboysma
You left a comment for me (boys a) on houzz. You said I should get neutral linen drapes. I listened and just ordered them. They're long pinch pleated linen drapes. Thanks for letting me know where to start.
October 23, 2013 at 1:46am   
hr01
Hello anyone there? OK here's some pics.Beautiful crisp 4-degree last day in February in upstate NY
March 1, 2014 at 4:05pm     
hr01
My wife loved the antique purple so I did up the potty room. The sink area also needs a little more work til primer. as some of you know i do things my way which is a little backwards it would seem but had tile in and sink in because we needed a bathroom but now have to wet sand the putty which is not my preferred way but a lot cleaner but a lot harder if you ask me.
March 1, 2014 at 4:21pm   
bevballew
Like the mauve color.
March 1, 2014 at 4:29pm      Thanked by hr01
hr01
I added up all the receipts for tax purposes,I could only find $4780 for remodel i'm sure that sounds just ridiculously low but I said when i started "Dirt cheap " well I can't even believe that so I'll have to try to remember what i may have overlooked, remember 2x4s i got free and 8 interior doors were free, Sorry about these Bedroom ceiling shots - more to come later
March 1, 2014 at 4:42pm   
handymam
Well it certainly doesn't look like a basement anymore! Can't wait to see more. Thanks for posting again!
March 1, 2014 at 5:59pm      Thanked by hr01
hr01
well handymam that is my goal when i get the lighting behind the three sets of patio doors finished and glass frosted and the two exposed poles covered and floor finished well the list keeps going but to me there like finishing touches compared to all the hard work so every-time I get one more little thing done i still get a smile- just know i'm still motivated just to busy to go at this like i once did. but thanks for looking and i will keep posting.
March 1, 2014 at 6:40pm     
hr01
having the whole ceiling dry-walled also helps with the "basement look" the only spot i had to drop the ceiling is in one spot in the bedroom as you can see but i have a plan to disguise that, as you may also see i need to still do some custom crown and door moldings.
March 1, 2014 at 6:44pm     
handymam
That's true, once the dry wall and spackling and sanding and respackling and resanding and priming are done, the work seems a bit easier, lol!
March 1, 2014 at 7:08pm   
hr01
yes lol but that is no laughing matter when your doing it
March 1, 2014 at 7:57pm   
handymam
Nope, it seems never ending when you are doing the work doesn't it? But once it is done you can move on to the more fun things!
March 1, 2014 at 7:59pm