Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Arches or no arches???
jdkrebs
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are building the similar floor plan as in these pictures... With a few changes. We will have all sliding doors along back wall of living and have centered fireplace to left wall - instead of in corner. And we have more modern look - gray walls, white trim, and all limestone--- no brick on columns and fire. Here is my question... We are for sure doing the archway into kitchen.. In limestone... But should we leave off an archway into living room? Stone layers are there tomorrow to do both columns and now we are wondering if we should just leave room open in entry with no limestone archway.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdkrebs
Anyone have thoughts??? Do you like these arches in living room?? Ours will be limestone-- but need some help here..
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 4:56AM
PRO
Mycom
Personally with a modern look I would not put these arches, it is enough to have a limestone around chimney, arches in stones look too rustic in my opinion.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 5:00AM
311wedding
I agree, let the fireplace be the focal point. Too much stone can make a room feel small.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 5:08AM
Debbie Brown
I also agree...no stone on arches. The arches with limestone will one day be outdated and someone will ask "What were they thinking?"
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 5:19AM
jjjohn
Are you using sanded limestone panels or cut limestone? Limestone is very neutral and a classic application. It looks beautiful with many colors and decor styles and would add a richness to the room. Go for it.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:23AM
jjjohn
Sorry, I just noticed the picture of your fireplace. The stone work is beautiful. I stick with my original comment.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:25AM
okibujp
No stone on arches! Fireplace stone should be the focal point for you room. I agree with debbie...Stone will one day look outdated.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 5:32AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
My vote is for no arches. It's not the right look for that space. Looks like a gorgeous floor plan! good luck with your construction.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 5:41AM
Jayme H.
I think you are saying the stone would match the fireplace? It think that would look better than the pics with the brick on the arches, but that it would overall look better without stone arches. Like others said, the fireplace is the star.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 6:03AM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, no arches for a cleaner look.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:09AM
cheminais
No Arches. Just the stone on the fireplace wall, otherwise you are mixing up the styles.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:19AM
PRO
Digital Imaging by Tina - Interior Designer
I agree here, no stone arches. You'll have a better flow of your living space in this room. The arch stone appears to confine the space (although the entryway is big) and is focally driven-too much. Beautiful room... Good luck with your new digs!
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 6:33AM
jdkrebs
Thank you all ... this is such a great resource for help on these things. I have called the builder and the stone arch is out. We are sticking with one stone archway into kitchen, because we need it for the breakfast nook to be a "room". But we have taken it out of the entry way. thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:55PM
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
Can anyone suggest a paint colour to help brighten up my entryway.
I really need help to find a paint colour that will...
Backsplash Help!
Hello there, Our kitchen remodeling has finally...
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
Need help with kitchen upgrade
We put in this kitchen in 10 yrs ago thinking we would...
Fireplace
I have a huge stone fireplace which when built the...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.